ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Offense: Bettis of all people, nails it...

Pitt79

Board of Trustee
Oct 3, 2005
Tomlin, way behind the times as an offensive coach, schemes are antiquated and obsolete.

We like to complain about Pitt's offense being outdated, well, the Steelers offense is legitimately in the stone ages. Canada is a part of it, but I think Tomlin wants the offense to be this conservative. Two straight coordinators playing this style of ball. Three QBs under Canada not being able to put up points. It speaks more to the scheme than to the players, IMO.

Reactions: Pitt79
It’s why the Steelers have to draft players to play in the system. Any decent FA or UFA wants no part of it as it’s probably a career killer.

Reactions: Pitt79
These are two things that stick out and I've been thinking about for years watching this team...

"Freiermuth is 6-foot-5, 258 pounds. There has to be a way to get him more than two touchdown receptions in the red zone."

"Maybe if Johnson was schemed into plays so he can catch the ball in open space, he’d be less inclined to run backward four yards, in hopes of gaining two yards after every catch."

The Steelers offense always seems to throw passes where the receivers have to make highly contested catches in traffic surrounded by defenders, it's almost like they can never scheme someone into wide open space with room to run. you watch other teams seems to be common? This team no. The last two TD passes by Mahomes in the Super Bowl weren't fantastic talent, it was like the play and pass route design had guys all alone for walk in TDs. Steelers pass routes clearly suck, and never seem to Scheme anyone into open space.

We like to complain about Pitt's offense being outdated, well, the Steelers offense is legitimately in the stone ages. Canada is a part of it, but I think Tomlin wants the offense to be this conservative. Two straight coordinators playing this style of ball. Three QBs under Canada not being able to put up points. It speaks more to the scheme than to the players, IMO.
I think this largely true. Canada has far more imagination than his pro offense has shown so far. It can be debated whether his college designs would work against NFL defenses. But other than a random WR run, we see little to nothing of his Pitt offense.

Art see the stage two years ago in one of the annual royal interviews he grants: he wanted a running offense. To Tomlin’s credit/defense, by reinforcing this with his OC, he is doing what his boss wants.

And there are hints that running is becoming more in vogue in the league … but not with the top playoff teams. Most that do it now do so less out of principle, but seem resigned that they don’t have the offensive coaching and talent that the top teams have, so they are merely going to try to slow games down and hope to win by attrition, rather than look to outscore anyone. But by definition the NFL is the best of the best, so every team DOES have talent, and certainly could be more imaginative and aggressive than they show.

You can see why a Georgia Texh would play that way against Pitt last year; just sit on the ball and hope Pitt self destructs (which we happily obliged); GT had no talent and literally no coach so it made sense. But the NFL is loaded (at least theoretically) with the elite talent in spades.

Fans in towns like ours, that look to be 10,000 years difference in competence from KC, deserve to be disappointed. Nobody else has a Mahomes of course, but they still have sh1t loads of elite talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: cashisking884
Yinzers are STUPID, including Art Rooney, I think they actually believe they can win a championship with ball control, pound the rock and elite D, Cowher was that dumb, but he never won a Super Bowl until he went out and got a real QB and aired it out in 3 AFC Playoff games after the 2005 season.

Could not agree with you more. If you are football fan in the City of Pittsburgh, you are going through a very frustrating time right now. The two major teams in the city, Pitt and the steelers have OC's that are living in the 1970's. The sport of football right now at just about every level is about putting up points on the board to win games and these two OC's run offenses that don't do that. After watching the Super Bowl, every objective steelers fan should be able to realize just how far away the steelers are.
I heard the talking heads constantly praising tomlin and canada for how they handled Kenny Pickett this year, I feel they screwed the guy over. He got treated like he was a novice to the sport of football and was absolutely handcuffed by their decision making.

Reactions: Burgh15
Yinzers are STUPID, including Art Rooney, I think they actually believe they can win a championship with ball control, pound the rock and elite D, Cowher was that dumb, but he never won a Super Bowl until he went out and got a real QB and aired it out in 3 AFC Playoff games after the 2005 season.
It’s frustrating in Pgh because whether you believe or not in his past College offensive prowess and whether it could work in the NFL, the Steelers hired an OC who had the reputation for creative and dynamic offenses. Then they put a C clamp on his nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT