ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Pederson

the_insider_

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2018
Reactions: Goldenpanthers
He fancied himself a "change agent". Part of the Ohio State athletic department army, he arrived when results could only go up.
He made a very good hire in Harris and rode that into Fame and fortune like a left handed picture in baseball does after a couple of good seasons with a bad team. "If he can do that at Pitt with no resources....".
But he committed the number one error of all: he believed he was always right and never listened to others. He couldn't get away with that in Lincoln and Nebraska football has never recovered.
He was protected at Pitt his second go around and almost single handidly destroyed Pitt football...which was already precarious. Nordy was blind to Peterson's foolish ways.
I hope I never hear of him again. What a waste.

I’m sure there have been. Pederson probably did save Pitt though, and then ruined it. He also ruined Nebraska. Despite his one save he may be the only AD to ruin 2 programs.

One person can't ruin (or save) a program. It takes the whole leadership. Particularly the top guy/gal.

So my question always comes back to accountability.
Who was dumb enough at PITT to hire a loser like SP who already wrecked one football program.
Programs serious about college football or basketall, Top 10 or top 20 programs don't make that mistake.

But PITT made the same mistake two times, one after the other.
FIrst SP, next Barnes.
One loser destroyed a football program and the other loser destroyed a perfectly fine basketball program.

What other college can post those results.
My guess is JoethePantherFan has the answer?

It's hard to believe the same people who made those hiring mistakes are allowed on campus and given keys to offices on campus!!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Who was dumb enough at PITT to hire a loser like SP who already wrecked one football program.
Programs serious about college football or basketall, Top 10 or top 20 programs don't make that mistake.

FIrst SP, next Barnes.
One loser destroyed a football program and the other loser destroyed a perfectly fine basketball program.

It's hard to believe the same people who made those hiring mistakes are allowed on campus and given keys to offices on campus!!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

How exactly was the football program destroyed?

We fell from the heights of playing in El Paso, Charlotte, and Birmingham- to playing in Birmingham, New York , and El Paso?

How exactly was the football program destroyed?

We fell from the heights of playing in El Paso, Charlotte, and Birmingham- to playing in Birmingham, New York , and El Paso?

Destroyed to the degree that the program hasn't moved forward since the coaching carosel was installed after the Wanny firing.

PITT has spent a lot of money on football and hasn't got much return on it's investment.
IMO PITT after the Wanny firing PITT should have hired a competent coach, who would have built and improved the program over the last six years.

The turmoil in the coaching ranks appears to have negatively impacted recruiting.Why commit to PITT since their history shows they may have a new coach before I show up on campus.Attendance is flat or down and we have a 5 win season mixed in with an 8 and 7's.

Not much improvement in 6 or so years.

Destroyed to the degree that the program hasn't moved forward since the coaching carosel was installed after the Wanny firing.

PITT has spent a lot of money on football and hasn't got much return on it's investment.
IMO PITT after the Wanny firing PITT should have hired a competent coach, who would have built and improved the program over the last six years.

The turmoil in the coaching ranks appears to have negatively impacted recruiting.Why commit to PITT since their history shows they may have a new coach before I show up on campus.Attendance is flat or down and we have a 5 win season mixed in with an 8 and 7's.

Not much improvement in 6 or so years.
Our recruiting has slipped with our stability with Narduzzi because he doesn’t value it.

I have news for you-
That was the state of the program before and after Steve pederson.

He wasn’t a variable.

The constant is a lack of financial commitment from fans.

While I wasn't a fan of him, if you rememeber the program in the early/mid 90s, he actually did a hell of a job turning it around. Also got us set up for an ACC invite.

His 2 biggest mistakes IMO were getting rid of the PITT brand and burning whatever small donor connection we did/do have.

While I wasn't a fan of him, if you rememeber the program in the early/mid 90s, he actually did a hell of a job turning it around. Also got us set up for an ACC invite.

His 2 biggest mistakes IMO were getting rid of the PITT brand and burning whatever small donor connection we did/do have.
Donations actually increased.
Or at least the donations which actually got to Pitt and weren’t embezzled

FIrst SP, next Barnes.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
The issue is always that Pitt has leadership that hates the idea of the university running what amounts to two major league professional sports teams. They find it distasteful. Maybe for good reason; it IS distasteful. Like many organizations, there's a culture, the people in charge hire like minded people, so even when chancellors and trustees (and the ADs they hire) come and go... and go... and go.... the body language is the same. We hate these dirty yucky sports, we have them because we've always had them and it's what the school is known for, but we hate em. We just want to run our granite-tower university and save the world.

So our leaders wave dandelions at it. Problem is everyone we compete with DO recognize and embrace, or at least can rationalize and compartmentalize, the reality of the filthy enterprise they are managing.

So you have lambs competing with crocodiles.

I agree with your first 3 points, but in 2003 we had our best ever football attendance and The Pete was sold out. His second term as AD wasn’t very good.

Logos and colors have zero to do with program success. It's just marketing tactics. Although there was reasonable logic behind the changes, they ultimately proved to be a failure. But the branding changes are superficial and had no impact on program success. The stadium location also has zero impact on program success. Zero.

Compared to the prior 10 years, the decade from 97 on, donations and attendance went up to record levels for Pitt and the fan base was rejuvenated while a lot of dead weight (and it was dead) volunteered to disengage because they were excluded from decision making, as they should have been because they had help steer Pitt straight into 1996, was was absolutely the most rock bottom the athletic department had been since 1968. Facilities were essentially an abandoned mess and collectively perhaps the worst in all of Division 1A. The Golden Panthers were dead; a complete shell of the early 80s and tinged with corruption. Pitt Stadium was empty. The football program itself was bleeding millions a year, and there was some internal movement pushing for football to drop out of 1A. The university itself was a mess, apathy was rampant, its reputation was falling, and it wasn't able to fill its beds. Overcoming those issues was a major accomplishment, and absolutely rescued the football program and, unbeknownst at the time, the athletic department since it was barreling headfirst, with many other universities, into the turmoil of conference realignment. But even though the 2000s saw things reach levels that were better than any time since the early 80s, Pitt still was well below athletic finances of peers, and there is a cap on what can be done because of that, and that is due to the comparatively small fan and athletic donor base compared to presumed athletic peer schools to the east, west, and south.

Pederson's biggest mistakes were always meddling in the programs by forcing his coaches to make staff changes, not to mention an ego and style that sometimes alienated his employees and donors. He should have never been rehired for a second round. Rehiring someone that left almost never works out, for any position anywhere. He should have at least been fired when the Wannstedt firing and Haywood hire was botched. You never want to get into such a internal power play tug of war like that, it was just a dysfunctional department at that point. However, during that same period, the Big East was falling apart and it was one of the most critical junctures in the history of Pitt athletics going back to the end of the Sutherland days, and perhaps since 1890. Pederson was a key actor in getting Pitt into the ACC because he was well connected and well known in the athletic community, as was his boss. That was, and is by far, the single most important accomplishment of the last administration for athletics and the most important thing that happened to Pitt athletics since 1976, and perhaps longer. Like it or not, the last university administration, including Pederson, helped saved Pitt football twice...in ways that are significantly more important than just wins and losses.

Hiring, retaining, and supporting the department's coaches is the most important jobs an AD has. A sports program's success is 80% about getting the right coaching hire. Walt was the right hire. Haywood and Graham were absolutely not. But helping to secure Pitt a seat at the power conference table has ensured its place in major college athletics for the foreseeable future. If Pitt doesn't have a seat at the Power 5 table, no AD or coaching hire would have been able to overcome that. With that seat, there is still hope to wake the echos of past glories.

Last edited:
The issue is always that Pitt has leadership that hates the idea of the university running what amounts to two major league professional sports teams. They find it distasteful. Maybe for good reason; it IS distasteful. Like many organizations, there's a culture, the people in charge hire like minded people, so even when chancellors and trustees (and the ADs they hire) come and go... and go... and go.... the body language is the same. We hate these dirty yucky sports, we have them because we've always had them and it's what the school is known for, but we hate em. We just want to run our granite-tower university and save the world.

So our leaders wave dandelions at it. Problem is everyone we compete with DO recognize and embrace, or at least can rationalize and compartmentalize, the reality of the filthy enterprise they are managing.

So you have lambs competing with crocodiles.
loc-what-a-crock-of-shit-yeah-baaaaby-18292139.png

He fancied himself a "change agent". Part of the Ohio State athletic department army, he arrived when results could only go up.
He made a very good hire in Harris and rode that into Fame and fortune like a left handed picture in baseball does after a couple of good seasons with a bad team. "If he can do that at Pitt with no resources....".
But he committed the number one error of all: he believed he was always right and never listened to others. He couldn't get away with that in Lincoln and Nebraska football has never recovered.
He was protected at Pitt his second go around and almost single handidly destroyed Pitt football...which was already precarious. Nordy was blind to Peterson's foolish ways.
I hope I never hear of him again. What a waste.

Yeah, exactly. I am sure all of us have had the "privilege" of working for a boss or a CEO who fancies themselves as "agents of change". They think that anything that is current, is passe, and that there always needs to be change and churn and making people uncomfortable is a good thing. And in many instances this is true. But to change for change's sake is to me, the biggest waste of time, and one of the things that can fast damage and progress, because you are spending energy and spinning wheels and resources "changing" is not needed to be changed.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
The idea that Steve did anything more than say, "Yes, Pitt would rather be in the ACC, than in the Big Xll" when the ACC called to ask if Pitt had interest, is crazy.

Agree. It totally ignores the reality that they were the best option along with Syracuse, by a wide margin. If anything, the fiasco that Pederson put the football program through from Wanny to ACC invite probably did more to hurt them. He was trash.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Slurping?? LOL
Bagmen, hookers, nudie bars, drunken recruits.......you live in a cartoon!!!

You do realize the University's primary purpose is to educate people and advance knowledge?

Athletics are part of that process, and the Administration has fully supported the new AD in uplifting all Pitt sports.
I agree but if a university participates in D1/P5 athletics they should be "all in " or drop the programs.

The new PITT AD seems like she understands the concept of being "all in" or "out." Tennis is an example.

A combination of great academics and successful D1/P5 sports is a draw for a lot of students.

That was one of the things that attracted our kids to PITT.

I agree but if a university participates in D1/P5 athletics they should be "all in " or drop the programs.

The new PITT AD seems like she understands the concept of being "all in" or "out." Tennis is an example.

A combination of great academics and successful D1/P5 sports is a draw for a lot of students.

That was one of the things that attracted our kids to PITT.
Pitt has never had so many applicants, and the standards for admission are continually increasing as are the qualifications of those accepted.

Reactions: Parkview57
Agree. It totally ignores the reality that they were the best option along with Syracuse, by a wide margin. If anything, the fiasco that Pederson put the football program through from Wanny to ACC invite probably did more to hurt them. He was trash.

Why do you think Pitt was a better option than say Louisville, wvu, UConn, etc?

What made us more attractive?

How did that chance from the first raid?

Pitt has never had so many applicants, and the standards for admission are continually increasing as are the qualifications of those accepted.
I wasn't implying that it's affecting PITT.
I was speaking in general terms that students avg- the great ones in addition to education like diversions like college football and basketball.
Both of our kids wanted universities with good D1 football and basketball programs to root for.
Both were good football players and wrestlers in HS.
One could have gone to any school in the country and played football or wrestled at most D1aa, Ivy, or little Ivies.
The other one just barely got in PITT but could have played football or wrestled at lots of D2 schools.
Both preferred to focus on academics but wanted D1 teams to support so they choose PITT for a lot of good reasons!
It was a great choice, they're in their early 30's with great jobs and homes of their own.

Last edited:
Logos and colors have zero to do with program success. It's just marketing tactics. Although there was reasonable logic behind the changes, they ultimately proved to be a failure. But the branding changes are superficial and had no impact on program success. The stadium location also has zero impact on program success. Zero.

Compared to the prior 10 years, the decade from 97 on, donations and attendance went up to record levels for Pitt and the fan base was rejuvenated while a lot of dead weight (and it was dead) volunteered to disengage because they were excluded from decision making, as they should have been because they had help steer Pitt straight into 1996, was was absolutely the most rock bottom the athletic department had been since 1968. Facilities were essentially an abandoned mess and collectively perhaps the worst in all of Division 1A. The Golden Panthers were dead; a complete shell of the early 80s and tinged with corruption. Pitt Stadium was empty. The football program itself was bleeding millions a year, and there was some internal movement pushing for football to drop out of 1A. The university itself was a mess, apathy was rampant, its reputation was falling, and it wasn't able to fill its beds. Overcoming those issues was a major accomplishment, and absolutely rescued the football program and, unbeknownst at the time, the athletic department since it was barreling headfirst, with many other universities, into the turmoil of conference realignment. But even though the 2000s saw things reach levels that were better than any time since the early 80s, Pitt still was well below athletic finances of peers, and there is a cap on what can be done because of that, and that is due to the comparatively small fan and athletic donor base compared to presumed athletic peer schools to the east, west, and south.

Pederson's biggest mistakes were always meddling in the programs by forcing his coaches to make staff changes, not to mention an ego and style that sometimes alienated his employees and donors. He should have never been rehired for a second round. Rehiring someone that left almost never works out, for any position anywhere. He should have at least been fired when the Wannstedt firing and Haywood hire was botched. You never want to get into such a internal power play tug of war like that, it was just a dysfunctional department at that point. However, during that same period, the Big East was falling apart and it was one of the most critical junctures in the history of Pitt athletics going back to the end of the Sutherland days, and perhaps since 1890. Pederson was a key actor in getting Pitt into the ACC because he was well connected and well known in the athletic community, as was his boss. That was, and is by far, the single most important accomplishment of the last administration for athletics and the most important thing that happened to Pitt athletics since 1976, and perhaps longer. Like it or not, the last university administration, including Pederson, helped saved Pitt football twice...in ways that are significantly more important than just wins and losses.

Hiring, retaining, and supporting the department's coaches is the most important jobs an AD has. A sports program's success is 80% about getting the right coaching hire. Walt was the right hire. Haywood and Graham were absolutely not. But helping to secure Pitt a seat at the power conference table has ensured its place in major college athletics for the foreseeable future. If Pitt doesn't have a seat at the Power 5 table, no AD or coaching hire would have been able to overcome that. With that seat, there is still hope to wake the echos of past glories.

Agree with pretty much everything. And I wasn't implying the logo change "ruined" football. I just never liked it. The Pitt to Pittsburgh thing.

Slurping?? LOL
Bagmen, hookers, nudie bars, drunken recruits.......you live in a cartoon!!!

You do realize the University's primary purpose is to educate people and advance knowledge?

Athletics are part of that process, and the Administration has fully supported the new AD in uplifting all Pitt sports.
I used to think this. I really do think (Pitt is not one) that education and research is subordinate to sports, including that big school in the centre of the state.

Why do you think Pitt was a better option than say Louisville, wvu, UConn, etc?

What made us more attractive?

How did that chance from the first raid?

All that you mentioned are crap schools. The state of PA becoming part of the ACC footprint. Same items hold for Cuse.

It had nothing to do with a softball field that Jeff Long planned.

Reactions: paulbl99
Running the sports half assed can only hurt, not help. Having perennial losers that only hurt the brand and result in financial losses makes no sense. Pitt should just drop them if it's so impossible.

That's irrefutable. But the original point stands, which some of you have gotten from posts above, at least: Pederson, or Barnes, or Jaynes, or even Bozik, can't unilaterally destroy a program. Failure, or success, is bigger than the AD. Chancellor's and trustees are glad to have the flunky take the heat in the tough times, perhaps that's really how they earn most of their money. But a sport deemphasis, a stadium demolition, firing a legend to hire a bald loser, a tightening the screws on recruiting, zero tolerance on pot, etc... that's not one guy, no matter how big an a-hole he might be. It's a dictate / failure from above

Pretty sure there were talks about Pitt dropping out of Division 1 football before Pederson arrived. So no, Pederson did not destroy Pitt football.

Bozik did far more damage to Pitt football.
There WAS a bit of chatter in the late 60s about de-emphasis Probably a hangover from the move to public status.
Majors (Thanks to Cas & some GP's) turned it into great enthusiasm. There was talk of fixing the Stadium then.....either a bubble, cantilevering sections 18 & 19, adding seatbacks, etc. Instead, Posvar & Bozik let the place go to hell and the HF mess was the choice they made. Pederson was an egotistical jackass, but the admin. disasters didn't start with him.

There WAS a bit of chatter in the late 60s about de-emphasis Probably a hangover from the move to public status.
Majors (Thanks to Cas & some GP's) turned it into great enthusiasm. There was talk of fixing the Stadium then.....either a bubble, cantilevering sections 18 & 19, adding seatbacks, etc. Instead, Posvar & Bozik let the place go to hell and the HF mess was the choice they made. Pederson was an egotistical jackass, but the admin. disasters didn't start with him.

I never understood why Posvar, who brought in Myslinski, an old buddy from their West Point days, to be AD would then enable Bozik to preside over a distruction of the Majors/Sherril accomplishments. It still boggles my mind!

I never understood why Posvar, who brought in Myslinski, an old buddy from their West Point days, to be AD would then enable Bozik to preside over a distruction of the Majors/Sherril accomplishments. It still boggles my mind!
I think part of it was the notion that the GP's....a Myslinski addition....were getting too important. Cas also wasn't quite the party guy the other two were.

As I recall a lot of the faculty had their panties in a bunch over the attention and $alaries and the $$ being paid to the football program and the coaches. Also revolted over special treatment of athletes in the classroom. Remember we weren't far removed from the push to make Pitt an Ivy League educational institution with the language requirement etc.

They could never seem to strike a balance between the education and the athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT