ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Pederson

It really is a charade for all but a handful of programs. But Pitt is getting paid so they are ok with it. Kind of like Bulb Nutting.
It's really true. Pretty much all the ACC (and Big ten, and SEC, etc) are like the Pirates... basically compensated to act as whipping boys for the serious programs. Because in the end, there has to be 12 football games, there have to be 162 baseball games, yet Ohio State can't play ONLY Michigan or PSU, Clemson can't ONLY play FSU, Alabama ONLY Auburn, the Red Sox can't ONLY play the Yankees etc (though the latter certainly feels like the case during baseball season).

The sports leagues need plenty of willing paid off stooges to pad the win totals for the real teams, to set up the drama of Rivalry Week.

Pitt is apparently happy to suck for money. Like many as you say. But year after year, more and more of our fans are losing interest, seemingly at a greater rate than schools in places where there's less going on. As we repeat seasons of 6-6, 5-7, occasionally 7 wins but no more, etc ... never sniffing the top 15, let alone playoff... our 30,000 crowds inevitably will shrink ... to 20, 15, 10 ... for most games. It's already happening. Last year's non PSU crowds were the sparsest I remember.

I know, TV deals have made attendance little more than gravy. But how long is that tenable? The ACC eventually must have a low bar we can't sink below, like Temple and the Big East ... doesn't it?

Well that’s a compelling counter argument.
None of the decisions, except perhaps for tearing down Pitt stadium, which most damaged Pitt FB had anything to do with finances or fan support. Pushing out Jackie Sherrill, pushing out Mike Gottfried and hiring Paul Hackett, hiring Peterson not once but twice, firing Wannstedt to hire Heywood, stiffening academics needlessly with stupid language requirements, the clumsy defense of Pitt’s interests in the conference realignment sweepstakes, were all decisions/ actions borne out of and reflective of incompetence, indifference and stupidity. You’re clueless... completely clueless in your dumb crusade against the fan base.

Can't do it now, need to have football to keep milking money from the ACC. But otherwise, yes, i personally think that if you absolutely cannot complete for championships, you are wasting everyone's time and money, including your own, just get out of it, get out if the way and let the serious programs go at it.

As a Pitt grad and fan i'd have some regret, but there's plenty other sports teams to root for. I'd respect my school more for stopping the dumb charade.

But then where would you go to spout off your stale nonsense? You’re a legend on this board, aren’t you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT