ADVERTISEMENT

Submitted for your consideration

tetonpanther

Freshman
Sep 26, 2005
Is HCJC a better recruiter than Jamie is God. ? Who can forget Jamies last class Rosie Nix and Justice Kithcart

Please let this Jamie stuff go. If we're lucky enough to have Capel be half the coach and with a record even approaching what Jamie's was, we'll be very fortunate. Let's just focus on this team and this coach and how he can improve. There is lots of room for improvement.

Is HCJC a better recruiter than Jamie is God. ? Who can forget Jamies last class Rosie Nix and Justice Kithcart
Jamie wasnt an acc coach. The tempo and athleticism needed wasnt gonna happen with jamie. The big 12 is good for him. Jamie had a system and recruited to it. Capel recruits talent and has a system that is dependent on who he has. Their is no question capel is a better recruiter than dixon either. Dixon had some top recruits but they were more so for the assistant coaches than dixon.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Jamie wasnt an acc coach. The tempo and athleticism needed wasnt gonna happen with jamie. The big 12 is good for him. Jamie had a system and recruited to it. Capel recruits talent and has a system that is dependent on who he has. Their is no question capel is a better recruiter than dixon either. Dixon had some top recruits but they were more so for the assistant coaches than dixon.
The other aspect of this is that we were one of the upper tier Adidas schools for a long time. I think it was better for the athletic department as a whole when we switched to Nike in the late 2000’s, but I think we got a little bit of extra sweeteners from adidas that we haven’t gotten from Nike when we moved down their pecking order.

The other aspect of this is that we were one of the upper tier Adidas schools for a long time. I think it was better for the athletic department as a whole when we switched to Nike in the late 2000’s, but I think we got a little bit of extra sweeteners from adidas that we haven’t gotten from Nike when we moved down their pecking order.
Boom!

We were never the same after that. And an aloof HC (God bless him but that is what he was) wasn’t going to compete in the Nike world.

Yes but that's a low bar and Jamie is a much better coach and I don't mean that in a bad way because I think when it comes to straight-up coaching, few are better than Jamie. Recruiting killed him here but he's done well recruiting at TCU because he's had good assistants.

I was never a fan of the Capel hire. His main selling point as a coach was that he was a good recruiter. I never thought that was the right fit for Pitt. Pitt is never going to outrecruit the Duke's and North Carolina's or even the Syracuses of the ACC for the best high school players in the country. So to try to win by out-recruiting those teams is a losing approach.

When Dixon was so successful in the BE (he left with the highest winning % of any coach in that conference) he did so not by outrecruiting the Georgetown's and UConn's, he did it with a system. That's how Tony Bennett has been so successful in the ACC--not by outrecruiting, but by having a system that makes the whole better than the sum of their parts.

But now the world has changed. High shool recruiting, while still important, is now secondary to portal recruiting. That has changed everything. So Capel is still getting out-recruited for the freshman (heck our fan base is ecstatic if we get a top 100 player while other teams in the conference get top 10 players), but he's proven to be very adapt at using the portal to plug in holes, and getting players that fit together as a team. So it turns out his skillset of recruiting is now valuable even at Pitt, and it may prove to work.

Reactions: Parkview57
I was never a fan of the Capel hire. His main selling point as a coach was that he was a good recruiter. I never thought that was the right fit for Pitt. Pitt is never going to outrecruit the Duke's and North Carolina's or even the Syracuses of the ACC for the best high school players in the country. So to try to win by out-recruiting those teams is a losing approach.

When Dixon was so successful in the BE (he left with the highest winning % of any coach in that conference) he did so not by outrecruiting the Georgetown's and UConn's, he did it with a system. That's how Tony Bennett has been so successful in the ACC--not by outrecruiting, but by having a system that makes the whole better than the sum of their parts.

But now the world has changed. High shool recruiting, while still important, is now secondary to portal recruiting. That has changed everything. So Capel is still getting out-recruited for the freshman (heck our fan base is ecstatic if we get a top 100 player while other teams in the conference get top 10 players), but he's proven to be very adapt at using the portal to plug in holes, and getting players that fit together as a team. So it turns out his skillset of recruiting is now valuable even at Pitt, and it may prove to work.

But the strange thing is that his "on paper" portal recruiting hasnt been that great. He's almost brought in like Dixon-type recruits in the portal market. Team players, under-recruited guys, maybe Pitt was their best offer. He is batting about a thousand recently but these arent big-time portal gets. So he has adapted like 180 degrees into what he was into what he is. And its working so far.

Jamie wasnt an acc coach. The tempo and athleticism needed wasnt gonna happen with jamie. The big 12 is good for him. Jamie had a system and recruited to it. Capel recruits talent and has a system that is dependent on who he has. There is no question capel is a better recruiter than dixon either. Dixon had some top recruits but they were more so for the assistant coaches than dixon.
I can see the tempo angle when comparing BE to ACC but is the ACC tempo and athleticism really any faster/better than the B12?

Reactions: sonofabit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT