ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl Executive Director: Pitt or Miami vs Utah or Washington State

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...3/four-teams-vie-two-spots-sun-bowl/76746198/

There you have it, right from the source.

I'll tell you one of my biggest pet peeves are "bowl predictions" on all these websites. They are so ridiculously wrong because nobody takes into account the things that really matter like who sells the most tickets, and if teams have been to that bowl game recently. I've seen UCLA predicted to go to the Sun Bowl on multiple sites and I kept thinking how in the world they will fall to that game when there are 2 California bowl games that pick first. There's not a chance in he!! that bowl games in San Diego or Santa Clara are going to pick Utah or WSU over USC or UCLA. But, these idiot bowl predictors usually just go by record. Utah is 9-3 and have a better record, so they slot them higher. Same goes for Pitt. There are morons out there that have us in the Music City Bowl. There's not a chance in this world that the MC Bowl takes Pitt over Louisville regardless of record, regardless of head to head. Louisville travels 20K, maybe 30K 2.5 hours down the road.

But, anyway, looks like Sun Bowl for Pitt.

The ACC is getting 2 teams into NY6 bowls. Either Clemson and FSU or UNC and Clemson. There's a very slight chance of them getting 3 or 1 but it'll most likely be 2. So....

NY6: 2 ACC and ND
RA: FSU or UNC (whoever doesn't make NY6)

Gator: Penn State (if FSU makes NY6, lets assume they do)
Belk: NCSU (this is an absolute lock)
Music City: Louisville (if FSU makes NY6)

Those are the most likely scenarios by far.

Then it comes down to the Pinstripe and Sun. Miami will be the top choice for both bowls. So, at that point, its left up to Miami to decide. Miami was in the Sun Bowl in 2010 though I don't think that'll play a big factor. The bigger factor is that NYC is more desirable to Miami than El Paso and the NE is where their alumni base is. They play very few games in the NE corridor since Syr and BC are in the other division so I cant imagine them passing on NYC. That said, I hope they do pick the Pinstripe because I want no part of Indiana or Minnesota. A loss to those programs would be completely embarrassing. I want to avoid that option at all cost. Not that Utah or WSU are great programs but they aren't total jokes.

December 26 at 2PM is about as bad as it gets for a bowl game and fan travel but it beats playing BT programs that should be in the MAC.

December 26 at 2PM is about as bad as it gets for a bowl game and fan travel but it beats playing BT programs that should be in the MAC.
Yeah the day after Christmas is incredibly hard to get people to travel. But I love this possible scenario. I think any college football game on a Saturday is already better, plus I think it would be great to play Utah.

Like I said yesterday, IF Pitt is in the ACC's Tier 1 slots and the Sun Bowl is also in the ACC's Tier 1 slot--We're a natural fit there because of our poor travelling reputation. Until that reputation changes, us and the Sun Bowl seem like a perfect marriage, whether fans like it or not.

One thing I don't like about the Sun Bowl is that it is on CBS and since it seems 99% of the pre-playoff bowls are on ESPN, the Sun Bowl and the teams playing there never get any chatter on ESPN, which seems like bowl central. There's also this--Pitt hasn't lost a noon start (local El Paso KO time) this year in a game not played in Pittsburgh :cool:

Yeah the day after Christmas is incredibly hard to get people to travel. But I love this possible scenario. I think any college football game on a Saturday is already better, plus I think it would be great to play Utah.

Utah is kinda a worst-case scenario. They are really good, better than those SEC teams we've been discussing and should beat us. But if we beat them, it wont be viewed anywhere near as good as beating LSU or UGa. Beating an SEC team raises eyebrows at least locally. Nobody will care if Pitt beats Utah.

Utah is kinda a worst-case scenario. They are really good, better than those SEC teams we've been discussing and should beat us. But if we beat them, it wont be viewed anywhere near as good as beating LSU or UGa. Beating an SEC team raises eyebrows at least locally. Nobody will care if Pitt beats Utah.
Ok, so you know it. The problem is over 3/4 of the nation, including most college football fans know absolutely nothing. Utah would be a win over a better opponent than beating LSU or Georgia. But the general public will hear Utah and think they're no good. They'll hear LSU or Georgia and just assume they're good even if it was a really bad year for those schools.

Even the Pitt/Utah Fiesta Bowl in the '04 season. That Utah team was insanely good. Urban Meyer was their coach for pete's sake. But uneducated fans just thought, "oh Utah, Pitt must really suck, how do you lose to Utah?" No doubt it about it though, that was an outstanding Utah team.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Ok, so you know it. The problem is over 3/4 of the nation, including most college football fans know absolutely nothing. Utah would be a win over a better opponent than beating LSU or Georgia. But the general public will hear Utah and think they're no good. They'll hear LSU or Georgia and just assume they're good even if it was a really bad year for those schools.

Even the Pitt/Utah Fiesta Bowl in the '04 season. That Utah team was insanely good. Urban Meyer was their coach for pete's sake. But uneducated fans just thought, "oh Utah, Pitt must really suck, how do you lose to Utah?" No doubt it about it though, that was an outstanding Utah team.

I'd still rather play Utah or even WSU than risk a disastrous loss to a crappy BT program......and even though WSU is the Ind or Min of the Pac 12, they're so far away, nobody knows they're not that great of a program. Everybody here knows Ind and Min are jokes.

I'd still rather play Utah or even WSU than risk a disastrous loss to a crappy BT program......and even though WSU is the Ind or Min of the Pac 12, they're so far away, nobody knows they're not that great of a program. Everybody here knows Ind and Min are jokes.
Again, totally agree. I like the Pinstripe Bowl a lot, but it is a crime they might match Indiana up with us. The way it looks like the bowls are making out are making no sense.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...3/four-teams-vie-two-spots-sun-bowl/76746198/

There you have it, right from the source.

I'll tell you one of my biggest pet peeves are "bowl predictions" on all these websites. They are so ridiculously wrong because nobody takes into account the things that really matter like who sells the most tickets, and if teams have been to that bowl game recently. I've seen UCLA predicted to go to the Sun Bowl on multiple sites and I kept thinking how in the world they will fall to that game when there are 2 California bowl games that pick first. There's not a chance in he!! that bowl games in San Diego or Santa Clara are going to pick Utah or WSU over USC or UCLA. But, these idiot bowl predictors usually just go by record. Utah is 9-3 and have a better record, so they slot them higher. Same goes for Pitt. There are morons out there that have us in the Music City Bowl. There's not a chance in this world that the MC Bowl takes Pitt over Louisville regardless of record, regardless of head to head. Louisville travels 20K, maybe 30K 2.5 hours down the road.

But, anyway, looks like Sun Bowl for Pitt.

The ACC is getting 2 teams into NY6 bowls. Either Clemson and FSU or UNC and Clemson. There's a very slight chance of them getting 3 or 1 but it'll most likely be 2. So....

NY6: 2 ACC and ND
RA: FSU or UNC (whoever doesn't make NY6)

Gator: Penn State (if FSU makes NY6, lets assume they do)
Belk: NCSU (this is an absolute lock)
Music City: Louisville (if FSU makes NY6)

Those are the most likely scenarios by far.

Then it comes down to the Pinstripe and Sun. Miami will be the top choice for both bowls. So, at that point, its left up to Miami to decide. Miami was in the Sun Bowl in 2010 though I don't think that'll play a big factor. The bigger factor is that NYC is more desirable to Miami than El Paso and the NE is where their alumni base is. They play very few games in the NE corridor since Syr and BC are in the other division so I cant imagine them passing on NYC. That said, I hope they do pick the Pinstripe because I want no part of Indiana or Minnesota. A loss to those programs would be completely embarrassing. I want to avoid that option at all cost. Not that Utah or WSU are great programs but they aren't total jokes.

I think VT will go to the Belk. NC St seems to think they are going to Shreveport.

I would guess...

NY6 Clemson, FSU, ND
Music City Miami (Miami vs UGA would be a compelling bowl, I realize Miami doesn't travel, but that's a marquee game)
Pinstripe Pitt
Sun -Duke (Louisville does not want a Dec 26 bowl due to hoops game with UK)
Belk- VT
RA- UNC
Military - Louisville
Independence - NC St

I think VT will go to the Belk. NC St seems to think they are going to Shreveport.

I would guess...

NY6 Clemson, FSU, ND
Music City Miami (Miami vs UGA would be a compelling bowl, I realize Miami doesn't travel, but that's a marquee game)
Pinstripe Pitt
Sun -Duke (Louisville does not want a Dec 26 bowl due to hoops game with UK)
Belk- VT
RA- UNC
Military - Louisville
Independence - NC St

How could VT jump a tier?

Why couldn't Pitt jump a tier to play PSU last year?

Miami/UGa is a heck of a game with a great storyline but Miami brings 5K, Lou brings 20-30. That's too much money to leave on the table.
I

How could VT jump a tier?

Why couldn't Pitt jump a tier to play PSU last year?

Miami/UGa is a heck of a game with a great storyline but Miami brings 5K, Lou brings 20-30. That's too much money to leave on the table.
I

I don't know, but all I know is people seem to agree VT can be in a Tier 1, so long as Pitt, Miami, and UNC all stay in Tier 1. VT being in Tier 1 prevents Pitt from dropping to Military Bowl.

My thought with Louisville is that a SEC team will sell enough tickets that it won't really matter who they are playing in the bowl game. I agree with one thing though, Louisville will either be in the Music City/Taxslayer, or all the way down to Tier 2. They played @ Belk last year, and I think the 12/26 bowls are out.

The FAN said it is most likely Pinstripe vs. Indiana. I like the Pinstripe a lot. Indiana however makes me physically ill. Ron Cook said Indiana does nothing for him. True they are bad, but that jagoff should keep his mouth shut. Is he so retarded he thinks Pitt chose to play Indiana?

WSU Coug here... The Foster Farms Bowl is expected to select USC(if they lose to Stanford in the Championship game) They are saying WSU in the Holiday Bowl or the Sun Bowl.
Of course would prefer the Holiday Bowl but if the Cougs end up in the Sun Bowl against Pitt,
I would be happy with that.

WSU Coug here... The Foster Farms Bowl is expected to select USC(if they lose to Stanford in the Championship game) They are saying WSU in the Holiday Bowl or the Sun Bowl.
Of course would prefer the Holiday Bowl but if the Cougs end up in the Sun Bowl against Pitt,
I would be happy with that.

This Pitt fan would much rather face Wazzou in the Sun than a Big Ten also-ran in the Pinstripe.

Good luck, wherever you go.

Reactions: Mariner_Rick
One thing which has been true for the last 20 years is whatever the bowl options Pitt gets the short end of the stick.

That sucks big time. None of those teams interest me. Wanted to play LSU. Another crap bowl. Hope Connor recovers. Pitt losing to Duquesne would be a fitting end to a crappy day.

I'd rather take the Sun in this scenario more so v Utah.
Indiana ruins the NY bowl.

Have to concur with many on here, and seemingly going against what the admin wants. If there is a strong possibility that it will be Indiana in the Pinstripe, I want no part of that. Now, if it was Wisconsin, then I'd be all for it.

Otherwise, I'd actually be pretty excited to play Georgia or LSU. And the Sun Bowl has more "prestige" if that's the best word for it, than the Pinstripe or Belk (at least in my opinion).

Reactions: PittPoker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT