ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl Fan Experience

1. A 2-3x raw increase in homicides is a huge number, particularly when compared to places with hundreds of homicides per year already.

2. Nobody has ever been killed going to a Detroit Lions game.

3. While I agree with you that the majority of killings are targeted, Mexican levels of violence are still extreme, and the chance of getting caught in a cartel related violent episode are much higher than the chances of being killed under similar conditions in the US. It happens multiple times per year, to US citizens, in Juarez specifically.

4. Juarez has nothing of note to offer the average American. If you want to visit Mexico, there are other, safer places to go. It's an unnecessary risk for reckless people who want to feel like cowboys for a few hours.

I wouldn't go to Juarez because there's nothing to see. But even though the murder rate is 2-3 times higher than the most dangerous US cities, the chance of being murdered there in the few hours you are there are very close to 0, roughly the same as visiting some touristy area in Detroit or St. Louis.

I wouldn't go to Juarez because there's nothing to see. But even though the murder rate is 2-3 times higher than the most dangerous US cities, the chance of being murdered there in the few hours you are there are very close to 0, roughly the same as visiting some touristy area in Detroit or St. Louis.

Well it's 0 fans murdered going to a Detroit Lions game over the last 100 years versus 5-20 American tourists killed in Juarez every year. Again, there's a huge difference between a homicide rate of 0 and one of a few percent.

Has the State Department issued a travel warning to Ford Field?

You're reaching here. It's ok to be wrong and to stop posting.

• Love
Reactions: FireballZ
Well it's 0 fans murdered going to a Detroit Lions game over the last 100 years versus 5-20 American tourists killed in Juarez every year. Again, there's a huge difference between a homicide rate of 0 and one of a few percent.

Yeah, there's been an official travel advisory from the US government for traveling to Juarez for 20 years. Among other things, you are strongly encouraged to not be in the city after sundown. You are also officially warned to be suspect of the local law enforcement. 10 years ago, the list of warnings that the State Department had available for tourists were terrifying. Kidnappings of tourists were happening almost weekly.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yeah, there's been an official travel advisory from the US government for traveling to Juarez for 20 years. Among other things, you are strongly encouraged to not be in the city after sundown. You are also officially warned to be suspect of the local law enforcement. 10 years ago, the list of warnings that the State Department had available for tourists were terrifying. Kidnappings of tourists were happening almost weekly.
Just like Detroit according to SMF... :rolleyes:

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I can't understand why anyone would even consider going. Even if the probability of being killed is low, why would you take even the smallest chance? What the heck is going on in Juarez that would make someone take that risk?

Juarez commentary aside, I applaud those individuals who go to bowls such as these, especially if not particularly convenient. You folks are definitely the hardest core fans. It’s pretty easy to commit to attend such milestone postseason games as those last year. But the ones like this, a meh bowl in a meh location after a rather meh season, hard to get to, not particularly nice place, still not cheap, and scheduled smack dab among holiday stuff … with probably our third stringers at most positions … seriously, hats off to you folks. I’ve gone to our bowls like these a couple times before myself, but only a couple, yet I know some of you are regulars regardless of what or where they are. That’s great stuff. I hope it’s enjoyable for you.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Thinking about making a quick trip down for the game. For those who've been to Sun Bowl games in the past, can you share a little about what the fan experience might be like? And are hotels, stadium and fan events all centralized in the same area?
Lots of moving vans crammed with invaders.

There haven't been any American "tourists" killed in Juarez. I'm sure there has been Mexican cartel gang members who are American citizens who've been killed. And there was that Mormom family who was living there that was killed in a case of mistaken identity.

There haven't been any American "tourists" killed in Juarez. I'm sure there has been Mexican cartel gang members who are American citizens who've been killed. And there was that Mormom family who was living there that was killed in a case of mistaken identity.

Dude, not only is your 1st sentence completely negated by your later admission in the 3rd sentence, your point isn't even true. How about this early 30s golf instructor and his teacher girlfriend? You think they were hardcore Sinaloa members?

https://people.com/crime/american-golf-pro-girlfriend-killed-quarantining-mexico-no-motive/

You just double down and double down and double down again because you don't want to be wrong about the smallest thing. It's exhausting, to be honest with you, and I don't find your schtick enjoyable anymore nor your other posts informative enough to keep this going. So you're getting the block. Just had enough of your complete inability to ever stop.

I can't understand why anyone would even consider going. Even if the probability of being killed is low, why would you take even the smallest chance? What the heck is going on in Juarez that would make someone take that risk?
Forget about Juarez, I have no interest in ever going back to Mexico at all. It can never be cheap enough for me to return. So many better options than that 3rd world sh!thole.

Dude, not only is your 1st sentence completely negated by your later admission in the 3rd sentence, your point isn't even true. How about this early 30s golf instructor and his teacher girlfriend? You think they were hardcore Sinaloa members?

https://people.com/crime/american-golf-pro-girlfriend-killed-quarantining-mexico-no-motive/

You just double down and double down and double down again because you don't want to be wrong about the smallest thing. It's exhausting, to be honest with you, and I don't find your schtick enjoyable anymore nor your other posts informative enough to keep this going. So you're getting the block. Just had enough of your complete inability to ever stop.

Again, not tourists. The woman was from Mexico. He was living there with his girlfriend. Keep trying to find one American tourist death in Juarez.

Reactions: Celtsfan
I went to the Sun Bowl in 2008. Had an absolute blast. One of my favorite bowl trips to be honest. Despite thinking hard about it, I will not be able to make this one though. Just difficult for me to get to with the travel and timing of the bowl.

In any case, we were a younger group of people and we befriended one of the locals that worked in our hotel. He was really cool, was a student at UTEP originally from Mexico; I still have a UTEP student section t-shirt that we swapped with him.

We were completely planning to cross the bridge for at least part of a day in Juarez. When he heard this he immediate was like "no, don't do that." And that was back in 2008. We ended up checking out New Mexico tourist trap old west town Mesilla instead (where Billy the Kid was once imprisoned).

So my recommendation is, if you can go, El Paso really embraces the bowl as a community event, and those bowls that are a town's big event are often as or as much fun than the more major bowls. There is just enough to see in El Paso to make it interesting (probably not for many repeat visits though), great Mexican food, but don't go across the border.

El Paso declared a state of emergency today and videos of the airport are eye opening as illegals are lined up inside sleeping in the halls. No way I’d travel there for the bowl game.

El Paso declared a state of emergency today and videos of the airport are eye opening as illegals are lined up inside sleeping in the halls. No way I’d travel there for the bowl game.
I think it was Saturday that the state of emergency was declared but your point still applies. Thought was that it was going to get even worse with Title 42 terminating this week but I think that just got put on hold today.

In any case, it sure does create a strange paradox. How does this city prepare for all these bowl festivities while at the same tend to this large influx of people needing shelter and other assistance.

I think it was Saturday that the state of emergency was declared but your point still applies. Thought was that it was going to get even worse with Title 42 terminating this week but I think that just got put on hold today.

In any case, it sure does create a strange paradox. How does this city prepare for all these bowl festivities while at the same tend to this large influx of people needing shelter and other assistance.
This has been going on for a while. There are literally hundreds of illegals sleeping on the streets.

The El Paso mayor declared the emergency because freezing weather has arrived, and something needs to be done to save people from freezing.

the borders arent open though, biden and this administration have it all under control..

the borders arent open though, biden and this administration have it all under control..

The borders are "open" for those looking to seek political asylum. These people aren't sneaking in. They are looking to have hearings, with most not being granted asylum and sent back. If you say there should be a law that the US not grant ANYONE asylum, that's another discussion.

The borders are "open" for those looking to seek political asylum. These people aren't sneaking in. They are looking to have hearings, with most not being granted asylum and sent back. If you say there should be a law that the US not grant ANYONE asylum, that's another discussion.
is "political asylum" the pc way to say welfare check now?

Come stay in our country for months or years on the US dime while we cycle through to get to your asylum case. Even if you come from a country that has no politcal asylum established you are still welcome to stay for a hearing. then on your honor come to the appointed court time for the case. If you don't show up we have no resources to actively pursue you or force you out of the country. Even if you are arrested we won't notify ICE for deportation.

You are right they no longer have to sneak in, they can walk in with open arms from the US. That sounds like a closed border.

Reactions: FireballZ
Small % have a legit asylum claim. They want our money because their country sucks.

Small % have a legit asylum claim. They want our money because their country sucks.

I agree most dont have legit asylum claims. I am fine with changing the law. But its the law. Even the old regime didnt change the asylum law, they just essentially paused it due to Covid.

if you were a pitt football player and saw this, you'd opt out too.

Last edited:
Forget about Juarez, I have no interest in ever going back to Mexico at all. It can never be cheap enough for me to return. So many better options than that 3rd world sh!thole.
pretty much agree. We stayed at the JW Marriott in Cabo a few years ago. The resort was amazing, but getting to it and any time we ventured out, it was sad to see how they locals were living. I didn't enjoy Cabo the town either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT