ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Game Thread

Think JC should've called JD for a primer on playing Syracuse. Pretty pathetic. Good news is, they'll have better chances against other ACC teams, even ones better than 'Cuse.

Yeah announcers suck. But when our team is having a tough day that’s all we can say. Also agree that having Ellison play in the middle of the zone is a colossal mistake

Yea this one is very disappointing today didn’t see a complete blowout like this coming. See what happens with Duke on Tuesday at home but most likely this team is staring hard at a 2-4 record going into road games at Louisville and Clemson which I think they could win. I expect them to play Syracuse a lot better as well at home in a few weeks as opposed to on the road here today.

Still a very young team, was overdue to have a stinker. Learning to win on the road a very tough thing to do in college basketball.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Starters other than Johnson, 3 - 21 from the field. Not nearly good enough.
At the moment, we only have one way to play - beat the man in front of you and score or get fouled.

It worked against Louisville and FSU, not so much against WVU, UNC and Syracuse.

Hard to know how it will work against the rest of our schedule.

Reactions: Large Panther
Almost looked like Pitt overthought how to attack the 2-3 rather than just play their game. Yes it was a downer today, but this season will have many ups and downs. Future is still bright.

Buddy Boeheim is 4-4 from 3. Hes shooting 25% for the season. We are getting beat from a scrub among other things.

Just a match up nightmare for Pitt. At least they are still fighting.

Almost looked like Pitt overthought how to attack the 2-3 rather than just play their game.

All week the talking point was that we can't just settle for threes against their zone, and yet so far we've shot 29 threes and only 28 twos. That's way too many threes.

Reactions: kma0043
I know I know, but he had a great record vs. the Cuse. Wasn’t making a “bring back Jamie” post at all.

In a weird way, kinda nice to be disappointed by a Pitt loss again after the self-imposed probation. I didnt think we'd win but thought we had a shot so it stings a little the way we play. Gotta remember these kids are freshmen.

Pretty much the type of game I expected — figures Cuse would have a 10-15 point lead, but Pitt would show fight. Good learning experience. I think they can beat Cuse at home in a few weeks.

It helps if you have interior guys who can catch the ball. Dixon would not have won with this group of players.

Syracuse with 17 assists to 8. We certainly would have had a bunch more with better hands, and stronger finishes inside. Blocks were 10-2 in favor of Syracuse.

I am not really getting the "we will beat
Syracuse at home" vibe that has been stated a couple times.....too small + not enough shooters = tough times versus adequately manned zone, imo.

Yea gotta like the fight in this team the last 10 minutes of the game. Gonna be a tall order with Duke coming in here Tuesday night but we’ll see what happens hopefully it’s a competitive game at least. The schedule starts to lighten up a lot after this Duke game.

This team is certainly different. They never gave up. They're young and will learn. But it would help if we had someone on staff who knew how to beat that 2-3 zone consistently. I suppose Capel knows some ways to do it and has studied past Pitt-SU games.

No quit today. Looked like it when Trey threw that lazy pass. Nice to see them pick it up at the end. Gotta make the pass to baseline after getting it in the middle.

This team is certainly different. They never gave up. They're young and will learn. But it would help if we had someone on staff who knew how to beat that 2-3 zone consistently. I suppose Capel knows some ways to do it and has studied past Pitt-SU games.
Dixon would get the ball to a point forward or a good passer at the foul line. That player would then find the open man. The problem is our interior guys could not catch the ball and finish this game. That really limits your options. Dixon would not have won with these guys.

A loss like this isn’t due to bad coaching or lack of effort it’s lack of enough talent and experience. Both will come in time .

ADVERTISEMENT