ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse - Louisville

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
Anyone watching the end of this? Louisville knocks down a contested three with six seconds left to tie the game, and are so excited with their accomplishment that they forget that they need to play defense. Syracuse inbounds the ball, dribbles right down the court for a layup that Louisville goaltends (and also probably fouled, but that didn't get called) to take the lead back with three seconds left.

Louisville gets off a decent shot at the buzzer, but it's no good and Syracuse wins.

I hate the Cuse but we need them to keep winning unless we play them in the ACC tourney.

Anyone watching the end of this? Louisville knocks down a contested three with six seconds left to tie the game, and are so excited with their accomplishment that they forget that they need to play defense. Syracuse inbounds the ball, dribbles right down the court for a layup that Louisville goaltends (and also probably fouled, but that didn't get called) to take the lead back with three seconds left.

Louisville gets off a decent shot at the buzzer, but it's no good and Syracuse wins.
Mintz made a couple bone headed plays before that ending.

Last edited:
I don't think that was goal tending.
It pretty clearly was not, when the replay from above the backboard shows it didn't hit the backboard until hit by the defensive player.

But the Syracuse player did tip in the rebound that would have resulted in the same score had the whistle not blown. So a bad call ended up OK.

I wouldn't even say they didnt get back because they were so excited. There was like 6 seconds left. They just basically forgot. Bad coaching and bad discipline. While you shouldn't have to tell 20 year olds they need to get back on defense, this type of bone-headedness has become a staple under Payne. I've never seen an uncontested fast break after a made basket that late in the game before. Before that play, up 3, Syracuse foulded WITH 11 seconds which is far too early but were saved that Kenny Payne called a TO right before.

I wouldn't even say they didnt get back because they were so excited. There was like 6 seconds left. They just basically forgot. Bad coaching and bad discipline. While you shouldn't have to tell 20 year olds they need to get back on defense, this type of bone-headedness has become a staple under Payne. I've never seen an uncontested fast break after a made basket that late in the game before. Before that play, up 3, Syracuse foulded WITH 11 seconds which is far too early but were saved that Kenny Payne called a TO right before.
How could a play be uncontested with a goaltending call?

It was definitely contested. But Cuse was able to inbounds the ball and start to dribble to the basket with Louisville giving chase from behind.
Yeah, I watched the end of their game after the Pitt game ended. Louisville played it poorly. I just like to bust SMF for his usual exaggerated wording.

Reactions: TD_6082
How could a play be uncontested with a goaltending call?

Syracuse had a 2 on 0 break but the Louisville defender chased down Copeland from behind and had to foul/goaltend from behind. One of the strangers end of game plays you'll ever see.

Syracuse had a 2 on 0 break but the Louisville defender chased down Copeland from behind and had to foul/goaltend from behind. One of the strangers end of game plays you'll ever see.
He didn't goaltend and no foul was called. Yet again, you exaggerate with inane words.

I know it was called. I already said that. The ref got it wrong. There was no goaltending.

I thought he got it slightly before it hit the glass. However, the inadvertent whistle prevented the easy Syracuse tip-in so I thought the refs got it right by essentially awarding Syracuse 2 points for a missed call.

I thought he got it slightly before it hit the glass. However, the inadvertent whistle prevented the easy Syracuse tip-in so I thought the refs got it right by essentially awarding Syracuse 2 points for a missed call.
You talkin' to me?

But the Syracuse player did tip in the rebound that would have resulted in the same score had the whistle not blown. So a bad call ended up OK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT