ADVERTISEMENT

Team meeting held in Rhode Island, Decision coming now

steel_curtain

All Conference
Nov 9, 2014
-Fatts asked about the Coach for next year, apparently no response. Hurley is leaving...

-Could Lyke have sealed the deal with the latest offer? Source from the Rhode Island board thinks its Pitt.

Reactions: Pittnerski
We've hired a coach. I don't know which one, but it appears done on our end.

Well, that would seem to confirm some things. Wow. Fairly reliable source on URI board says he's been told Hurley to Pitt will be announced tomorrow.

Nothing official until the ink is dry though.

But if this contract news is close to true, I was wrong about UConn being able to match Pitt. Certainly seems as though Pitt realized they had to fix a big mess with big $. I hope boosters are stepping up to help fix what they created. All fans should step up with that show of commitment. http://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/2017/6/26/panther-club-basketball-championship-fund.aspx

Well, that would seem to confirm some things. Wow. Fairly reliable source on URI board says he's been told Hurley to Pitt will be announced tomorrow.

But if this contract news is close to true, I was wrong about UConn being able to match Pitt. Certainly seems as though Pitt realized they had to fix a big mess with big $. I hope boosters are stepping up to help fix what they created. All fans should step up with that show of commitment. http://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/2017/6/26/panther-club-basketball-championship-fund.aspx

i upped my donation level for 2018

Reactions: rrig5 and Pittguy93
-Fatts asked about the Coach for next year, apparently no response. Hurley is leaving...

-Could Lyke have sealed the deal with the latest offer? Source from the Rhode Island board thinks its Pitt.

Likely UCONN. Wouldn't shock me if he stayed

-I already posted the link, and the news "rumor" has been broken on rhode island and providence sites
Sorry about that, posted that as you were posting the link. Thanks though. They do not sound optimistic at all over in rhody.

This is great news if true except its laying out alot of money for a guy from URI?

I hope we didn't fix/stabilize a basketball program and destabilize a somewhat stable PITT football program by paying the bball HC alot more than the football HC!

I'm sure Lyke has HCPN in the loop and HCPN might be playing the team guy role now but we'll see how he really feels about things six months or so down the road.

Oaks for example or others would have been great choices and much more affordable. Hurley is good but is he that much better than the other options for the money??

His wife did mention Pittsburgh wasn't either her or their best location option so the risk of Hurley leaving early is greater than one of the other options.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

This is great news if true except its laying out alot of money for a guy from URI?

I hope we didn't fix/stabilize a basketball program and destabilize a somewhat stable PITT football program by paying the bball HC alot more than the football HC!

I'm sure Lyke has HCPN in the loop and HCPN might be playing the team guy role now but we'll see how he really feels about things six months or so down the road.

Oakes would have been a great choice and much more affordable. Hurley is good but is he that much better than the other options for the money??

His wife did mention Pittsburgh wasn't either her or their best location option so the risk of Hurley leaving early is greater than one of the other options.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

-You said I reported Fake News. SMH

Reactions: cabe23
-You said I reported Fake News. SMH
Still might be? I posted if true?
Read my post knucklehead!
If it is true I believe we just overpaid for a guy from URI whose wife doesnt want to live in Pittsburgh ( she said that) which spells trouble for sure!

-Im not going to beat my own chest since nothing is locked in yet. But if Lyke played this like how I said to play it a few days ago, and that is Offer and Pitch a Hard Close sale on Pitt with big $ to force decision or revoke the offer which apparently she did, now the decision is forced. If it backfires, there better be a legit 1A for this approach to succeed. Playing hardball with real money on the table gets shit done. We'll see

Reactions: H2P_412
I still say he's going to UCONN. They'll come close enough.

The more important question is who's the backup plan?

Believe me, with our track record I'm not celebrating until the press conference is done. Not starts, I'm waiting till its over.

And I think Hurley backed out at the last moment from taking the Rutgers job a couple years ago. So nothing is done until it is officially official.

putting 2 and 2 together. IF the rumors are true that Pitt has hired a coach combined with the RI meeeting it has to be Hurely to Pitt........NO?

putting 2 and 2 together. IF the rumors are true that Pitt has hired a coach combined with the RI meeeting it has to be Hurely to Pitt........NO?

I believe we at least think we've hired someone, or are close, or at least don't have anything else to do at this point in the game. And Hurley has met with the URI team and indications are that it seems that he is leaving...he certainly didn't say he was staying. However, there are multiple sources saying Hurley to Pitt AND Hurley to UConn, and both seem to be reliable. I don't think anyone knows at the moment, and given Hurley's prior job explorations, it may not be over until a press conference is held.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Hurley is 1a...for both Pitt and UConn...there is little doubt about that at this point.

On the plus side.....Pitt has been air tight to this point.

It would be a bit out of character for them to start leaking that they have their man unless they are 100% sure.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I believe we at least think we've hired someone, or are close, or at least don't have anything else to do at this point in the game. And Hurley has met with the URI team and indications are that it seems that he is leaving...he certainly didn't say he was staying. However, there are multiple sources saying Hurley to Pitt AND Hurley to UConn, and both seem to be reliable. I don't think anyone knows at the moment, and given Hurley's prior job explorations, it may not be over until a press conference is held.

Who has said Hurley to Pitt. I've only seen likely to UCONN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT