ADVERTISEMENT

Tennis earned its first win at the ACC Championship in program history

Thanks for posting. This team is my all-time favorite and I've been supporting women's tennis for 20+ years. Coach Santos has been painstakingly bridging the talent gap in a conference loaded with ranked teams. Did I mention we have no tennis facilities? The team plays and practices at a private tennis club in Wexford, 30+ minutes from campus. Despite that, Coach has been able to recruit more talented players. Still a ways to go but progress is evident. They came so close to major upsets this year. Two freshmen are significant contributors. Our #1 doubles team made up of a senior and a freshman beat the #1 ranked team in the country, UNC, and it wasn't close. This win today was unbelievably rewarding. All the girls are great people and so easy to root for. It would be amazing to upset Syracuse tomorrow but, win or lose, they are on the right track.

Thanks for posting. This team is my all-time favorite and I've been supporting women's tennis for 20+ years. Coach Santos has been painstakingly bridging the talent gap in a conference loaded with ranked teams. Did I mention we have no tennis facilities? The team plays and practices at a private tennis club in Wexford, 30+ minutes from campus. Despite that, Coach has been able to recruit more talented players. Still a ways to go but progress is evident. They came so close to major upsets this year. Two freshmen are significant contributors. Our #1 doubles team made up of a senior and a freshman beat the #1 ranked team in the country, UNC, and it wasn't close. This win today was unbelievably rewarding. All the girls are great people and so easy to root for. It would be amazing to upset Syracuse tomorrow but, win or lose, they are on the right track.
HAIL AS ONE, right?! ;)

@Nish67 Do you know if there have been any talks of a tennis facility on/around campus? Maybe even just a few indoor practice courts.. I have been to that facility to watch a match and it is a hike--especially for practice everyday.

The Mellon Bubble is just up Forbes. Four courts but it's a public facility owned by the City. I'd like to see us get involved, spend some money refurbishing it in return for access for practice. Not large enough to replace Oxford for matches.
One of the needed steps to continue the team's improvement is to give coach the ability to work one-on-one with each player. Oxford us too far for that. That's why we need practice facilities near campus.

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT