ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M, are they delusional?

vegasgreed

Assistant Coach
Sep 8, 2003
They are going to fire Sumlin and they are going after Jimbo Fisher. I know that A&M has tons and tons of cash, but will Jimbo take this job? I would say its a long shot but crazier things have happened.

There are a lot of football programs that like to think of themselves as "sleeping giants" and will mention it to anyone within hearing range: Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA, UNLV, Arizona, and so on.

The one I actually believe is Texas A&M. There is no reason someone shouldn't be able to win more there. They have the largest football revenue in the country, edging out even their former instate rival Texas Longhorns. Their budget is something like 30 million more a year than Alabama and Ohio State even. Last year they led the SEC in attendance. The SEC! They're in east Texas! There is no reason they can't be way better.

There are a lot of football programs that like to think of themselves as "sleeping giants" and will mention it to anyone within hearing range: Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA, UNLV, Arizona, and so on.

The one I actually believe is Texas A&M. There is no reason someone shouldn't be able to win more there. They have the largest football revenue in the country, edging out even their former instate rival Texas Longhorns. Their budget is something like 30 million more a year than Alabama and Ohio State even. Last year they led the SEC in attendance. The SEC! They're in east Texas! There is no reason they can't be way better.
So maybe it isn't who spends the most. Jackie Sherrill didn't get it done there.

I think Jimbo Fischer is the most overrated coach in the country. With the talent they've had he has underachieved the past few years. Sumlin has underachieved even more, however.

Reactions: Chaos
So maybe it isn't who spends the most. Jackie Sherrill didn't get it done there.

There are a lot of factors but I've never been able to figure out why A&M is so consistently mediocre. It seems like every other major team in Texas (Texas, TCU, even Tech and Baylor) have had a better run at some point than A&M has. A&M had the one big year with Johnny football and otherwise the last 20 some years or so were bleh.

Fwiw Jackie did have three straight cotton bowl appearances from A&M and two top 10 teams, which is better than they've been the last two decades.

They are going to fire Sumlin and they are going after Jimbo Fisher. I know that A&M has tons and tons of cash, but will Jimbo take this job? I would say its a long shot but crazier things have happened.
I would not be shocked to see him go elsewhere. He has 1 bad year and some FSU fans went overboard on their criticism.

Interesting. Especially considering Sumlin has won nothing.

Sumlin is 86-42. 4-3 in bowl games. .571 win %.

Jimbo is 82-23. 5-2 bowl games. .714 win %. Jimbo with the big win in 2013.

I think Jimbo Fischer is the most overrated coach in the country. With the talent they've had he has underachieved the past few years. Sumlin has underachieved even more, however.

It wouldn't shock me. Yesterday I was listening to Andy Staples who is dialed into the Florida schools. He has some very good connections.

Anyways, he was talking about the FSU job. He said its not the job many think, without knowing the situation. He stated that FSU doesn't have even close to the same money as Florida, Clemson, Bama, Auburn and some others.

I would not be shocked to see him go elsewhere. He has 1 bad year and some FSU fans went overboard on their criticism.

It wouldn't shock me. Yesterday I was listening to Andy Staples who is dialed into the Florida schools. He has some very good connections.

Anyways, he was talking about the FSU job. He said its not the job many think, without knowing the situation. He stated that FSU doesn't have even close to the same money as Florida, Clemson, Bama, Auburn and some others.

Florida State is a great job because it's basically an SEC school with an ACC schedule and massive talent within 100 miles in any direction (well except the ocean.)

It's also maybe a somewhat overrated job because you'll be in Bowden's shadow, deal with angry redneck fans, and the school loses money on football now so they aren't going to let you keep increasing you and your assistant's salaries forever like Saban.

Jimbo's pay is top 7, their budget is more like top 20.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Jimbo stays at FSU.

Why leave a know quantity FSU where he has a system established, assistants in place, FL recruiting, etc.

Plus he's a Southern guy and Texas isn't the South its the Southwest which is a completely different region of the country that he's not familar with.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Jimbo stays at FSU.
Plus he's a Southern and Texas isn't the South its the Southwest which is a completely different region of the country that he's not familar with.

Texas A&M is eastern Texas. It's not like the desert out west. Cotton country.
Also Jimbo grew up and went to high school and college entirely in West Virginia, only about an hour or so from here.

The SEC is going to be crazy this year.

Florida open
tenn open
a&m open
MSU open once mullen leaves
Arky will be open
auburn could open w/gus taking the Arky job
vandy could open
This will drive coaching salaries upwards even more. I would love to be Malzahn’s agent.

Interesting. Especially considering Sumlin has won nothing.

Sumlin is 86-42. 4-3 in bowl games. .571 win %.

Jimbo is 82-23. 5-2 bowl games. .714 win %. Jimbo with the big win in 2013.
Yeah like I said Sumlin has underachieved more. A .714 win percentage with the talent that FSU gets every year is underachieving. Florida State should not be losing 3 games a year on a consistent basis. Unless they are playing Bama, they have more talent than every opponent they have on the schedule.

Your taking shots at that .714.

what did florida and miami achieve in this same timeframe? i didn't look it up but i bet its a good bit lower.

Yeah like I said Sumlin has underachieved more. A .714 win percentage with the talent that FSU gets every year is underachieving.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
when did Texas A&M become a football blue blood and get elevated on the college football hierarchy where they can poach any coach they want? I missed this.

Delusional or Not, I would have liked to have seen Pitt delusional in the coaching search. At least it would show they wanted to win.

when did Texas A&M become a football blue blood and get elevated on the college football hierarchy where they can poach any coach they want? I missed this.

That's their great mystery. If they're in the best football conference, with the most total revenue, the largest overall budget, and can get 100,000+ fans per game, in the most football crazed region of the country...why aren't they a blue blood?

That's their great mystery. If they're in the best football conference, with the most total revenue, the largest overall budget, and can get 100,000+ fans per game, in the most football crazed region of the country...why aren't they a blue blood?
cause they haven't won anything since before they filmed the wizard of oz? seriously, last time they won a NC, Judy Garland was still sober and hot.. (Not sure if that's allowed on here, since she was like 16 so if so, i was kidding).

I mean, a lot of fans is great but can we at least have on field success as one factor in this equation?

Jimbo stays at FSU.

Why leave a know quantity FSU where he has a system established, assistants in place, FL recruiting, etc.

Plus he's a Southern guy and Texas isn't the South its the Southwest which is a completely different region of the country that he's not familar with.

Since when did geography matter?

A&M is in the SEC

PITT is in the ACC

WVU closest opponent is in Iowa.

There are reasons Fisher might not leave but geography isn't one of them

Last year, Jimbo was offered LSU. At that time, he was going through a divorce or the divorce has just concluded. Geography did play a role in him turning down LSU due his children. I'm not saying it was the only reason, just saying it played a role.

Since when did geography matter?

A&M is in the SEC

PITT is in the ACC

WVU closest opponent is in Iowa.

There are reasons Fisher might not leave but geography isn't one of them

If Gus takes the Arky job, Petrino could end up at Auburn.
I would say there is a very good chance that Petrino ends up elsewhere. Then the dominoes could start falling. Brohm back to Ville. Purdue opens up. Not going to say it, but I would not be shocked.

cause they haven't won anything since before they filmed the wizard of oz? seriously, last time they won a NC, Judy Garland was still sober and hot.. (Not sure if that's allowed on here, since she was like 16 so if so, i was kidding).

I mean, a lot of fans is great but can we at least have on field success as one factor in this equation?

You misunderstood me. I am agreeing with you, they haven't won crap in ages. When I said "why aren't they a blue blood" I meant it in the sense of "why the hell can't they win down there? What's in the water?"

Comes down to money. A&M has over 100K seats now and is a top-level revenue generator. I actually think they should be thinking higher than Jimbo, who is overrated in my opinion. I'd go after Dabo

No idea why any coach takes an SEC gig other than a get rich quick play. You have to beat Alabama twice and win a NC by year three or you're on a "hot seat".

Because most coaches at the elite level are egotists at heart. They don’t doubt that they can compete with the best of the best. For most money is much more of a motivating factor.

I always read on this board why would so and so go there when he has to compete against Saban or Meyer every year. It’s because they think they can, that doesn’t play into their decision making on deciding whether or not to take a certain job.

They were way down when Jackie was hired. He brought them up and had them winning on a regular basis. If he didn't have that bull castrated on the practice field they would have never gotten rid of him.

It sits on oil wells.
They literally just have to turn on the faucet.

I’m not sure Sumlin for Jimbo is that great of a switch.
And it’s been a dog Sh!t FB team for a big chunk of its history for some reason.
Dunno; not seeing that one.

They were way down when Jackie was hired. He brought them up and had them winning on a regular basis. If he didn't have that bull castrated on the practice field they would have never gotten rid of him.
That happened when he was at Mississippi State, they ended up beating Texas that week!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT