ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M to offer Kirby Smart $20 million/year?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
They are quickly becoming the Saudi Arabia of college football. I wonder why they just don't pay each player $1 million so that they can sign only 5 stars.

Mark Passwaters reputation is in serious trouble. He seems to be saying the deal fell apart in a matter of hours with Stoops and has backtracked on X. Maybe an apology and a new source would help out.

This is like Peak reporting that Pitt is hiring Mike Haywood, everyone get really mad about it, and Peak retract the report. Except, Pitt really did hire Haywood, and Peaks reporting was accurate.

13 years later, I’m not sure people fully grasp the staggering level of unspeakable dreadfulness it took to hire that boob. Set aside the terrible human being aspect for a second, Pitt hired him because he went 9-4 for ONE season, and he was 10-15 overall at Miami OH. There needs to be a documentary on how the administration came to the conclusion he was the guy.

13 years later, I’m not sure people fully grasp the staggering level of unspeakable dreadfulness it took to hire that boob. Set aside the terrible human being aspect for a second, Pitt hired him because he went 9-4 for ONE season, and he was 10-15 overall at Miami OH. There needs to be a documentary on how the administration came to the conclusion he was the guy.
IIRC, Pitt was targeting Al Golden, but he signed with Miami. 2nd choice was Todd Graham, but he wanted $2M a year. So they settled on the cheap...Haywood. After two? weeks and Haywood arrested, they tried to save face and hired Graham at $2M. Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this scenerio.

IIRC, Pitt was targeting Al Golden, but he signed with Miami. 2nd choice was Todd Graham, but he wanted $2M a year. So they settled on the cheap...Haywood. After two? weeks and Haywood arrested, they tried to save face and hired Graham at $2M. Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this scenerio.
I had forgotten about that Al Golden thing altogether. Although, bringing in a Paterno lover and former Nitter would have gone over as well as Haywood.

Reactions: BillyWestFan
Stoops probably saw the backlash and said he wanted no part of that at A&M.

They are quickly becoming the Saudi Arabia of college football. I wonder why they just don't pay each player $1 million so that they can sign only 5 stars.

What do you eat before going to bed? You sure dream up some weird stuff. You should change your diet, try not posting every single thing you dream up. 🤷‍♂️

Golden and Miami (FL) actually developed the following season, but he was the perceived frontrunner for the Pitt job based on the miracle worker job he was doing at Temple. But in a showdown for a MAC division title with the other Miami, Haywood coached the pants off the Golden boy, and thus overtook him in Pitt's eyes. The rest is history.

Golden and Miami (FL) actually developed the following season, but he was the perceived frontrunner for the Pitt job based on the miracle worker job he was doing at Temple. But in a showdown for a MAC division title with the other Miami, Haywood coached the pants off the Golden boy, and thus overtook him in Pitt's eyes. The rest is history.

also Haywood one of the only coaches to ever go from 1-11 to 10 wins the next season. I think that's what sold Pederson. Plus his reputation as a "disciplinarian" he could sell as coming in to clean up the Wannstedt lawlessness (not my words, never thought there was a big problem with Wannstedt on that).

Never mind that he was actually demoted at ND a few years prior, plus other red flags if they would have done some true due diligence on the search.

You are 100% correct.

The national media stated (correctly) that Pederson was forced to pay the "stupid tax" and circle back to Graham.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT