ADVERTISEMENT

That last Stillers offensive possession….

Tomlin isn't held accountable. That's the problem. Yinzers have a waiting list for season tickets and seat licenses so there's no threat of ppl not getting the wallet out.

Nothing will change over there as long as this Rooney is in charge. He's happy with this and the $$$$$ keeps rolling in.

Tomlin isn't no where NEAR as smart as ppl think he is. Every WR he drafts turns to a primadona and training camp was a total shit show when AB was there running things.

Do you think Noll or Cowher would have left a WR let his personal assistant take video before and after practice during a facebook live?

There's a reason why Hines Ward isn't around any more. I saw him at camp Tomlin and he looked completely disgusted with the side show.

Canada won here because of a loaded senior team and mismatches. He found out the hard way everyone runs in the SEC and in the NFL.

East and West offense will get you fired all day everyday, unless you work for Mike Tomlin where .500 is the new Super Bowl.
Those weren’t things
But I do remember Cowher having plenty of attention seekers and problems
Eric green, , Santonio Holmes , James Harrison ,plaxico, Jeff Reed ,Cedrick Wilson , Mendenhall , bam Morris , Chris Rainey , etc

Revisionist history , bro

I watch their QB go 4/4 on the game winning drive

You have an interesting way of evaluating games.

That was one possession. Did you happen to catch the 8 that resulted in punts or the one that ended in a Steelers interception?

The only reason that drive even happened is because Pickett, who you refuse to condemn, went 0-3 the drive before.

The only reason that was the game-winning drive was because the offense scored ten effing points. Yet you're telling me the defense was the problem.

9th.

19.5 points allowed per game, despite the offense's propensity for the patented 3 and out and putting them right back on the field. I don't think they're a dominant bunch, but they're doing a damn good job of finding ways to make it work and either winning games outright or giving the offense a chance to do so at the end. The defense is not the problem.
My Google search came up empty. Any way to find how many points each team gives up per defensive possession? That would be a better indicator than just total points allowed.

You have an interesting way of evaluating games.

That was one possession. Did you happen to catch the 8 that resulted in punts or the one that ended in a Steelers interception?

The only reason that drive even happened is because Pickett, who you refuse to condemn, went 0-3 the drive before.

The only reason that was the game-winning drive was because the offense scored ten effing points. Yet you're telling me the defense was the problem.
Yes
And because the defense gave up 10 in the first half including the opening TD drive .
Then yes- bent with the game on the line

The offense is terrible - but the defense either relents or creates a turnover .
That’s the only two options

And that was with facing a rookie qb and rb2 and rb3

The yards they give up consistently is a problem

My Google search came up empty. Any way to find how many points each team gives up per defensive possession? That would be a better indicator than just total points allowed.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-play

By this measure, Steelers defense is 4th best in the league and has improved since last year.

Same site ranks points per play for the offense and the Steelers are one of the worst albeit with a slight, slight improvement from last year.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-play

By this measure, Steelers defense is 4th best in the league and has improved since last year.

Same site ranks points per play for the offense and the Steelers are one of the worst albeit with a slight, slight improvement from last year.

It's almost as if what our eyes are telling us what's happening is exactly what's happening, no matter how much we try to spin the truth to protect the legacy of Kenny Pickett.

Tomlin isn't held accountable. That's the problem. Yinzers have a waiting list for season tickets and seat licenses so there's no threat of ppl not getting the wallet out.

Nothing will change over there as long as this Rooney is in charge. He's happy with this and the $$$$$ keeps rolling in.

Tomlin isn't no where NEAR as smart as ppl think he is. Every WR he drafts turns to a primadona and training camp was a total shit show when AB was there running things.

Do you think Noll or Cowher would have left a WR let his personal assistant take video before and after practice during a facebook live?

There's a reason why Hines Ward isn't around any more. I saw him at camp Tomlin and he looked completely disgusted with the side show.

Canada won here because of a loaded senior team and mismatches. He found out the hard way everyone runs in the SEC and in the NFL.

East and West offense will get you fired all day everyday, unless you work for Mike Tomlin where .500 is the new Super Bowl.
Much of what you say I agree with. But I’ll nitpick one point.

Tomlin is smart. He’s very smart. In fact if he had many of our jobs, including mine, he’d be better at it than we are. He has a gift. @BigZeke calls him Mr Loquacious or Coach Cliche or whatever, and it is a brilliant name for him. If he were a rapper, Loquacious T would be perfect for him. He oozes charisma.

So I admire the heck out of him. He’s just not the HC God that some people make him out to be. He’s a fine coach, a good coach, and if he hangs around long enough he might be a champion again and solidify himself as a great But what he has done here the past 10 years is severely overstated by some. He’s made this bed. This is the team he wanted. And these are the schemes that he wants to run. It’s not a great coaching job any way you slice it. He had many people in the local media who cover this team closer than anyone, people who are in the building every day, in awe over him. Now he’s lost most of them because they see what’s going on. I’m not sure who he has left locally. They all mostly respect him still, but they all see him for what he is, a good coach who simply hasn’t got it done for close to a decade.

It's almost as if what our eyes are telling us what's happening is exactly what's happening, no matter how much we try to spin the truth to protect the legacy of Kenny Pickett.
I think he's been placed into a bad situation, being put into a starting role at the hardest position too soon on a team that has personnel deficiencies. But the refusal of some to admit that he has struggled on his own account, and the excuses they make for him, are just weird.

He was great at Pitt in 2021, that's undeniable. But that's meaningless now. The NFL is a whole different animal.

He has a shot to be decent, but not unless he improves his own game and the Stillers upgrade their offense across the board. Very few QBs can step into the NFL and light it up, and really the only ones that do step into a good personnel and coaching situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittbb80
Nobody is protecting Kenny
Pointing out that Mitch is even worse in this offense is important context as to what the root cause is -
And it’s not individual qb play

Kenny will never be a star.
He’s a capable QB that plays better in the clutch / he’s a gamer .
Nobody thinks he’s Mahomes or burrow level talented .
Nobody
There are only maybe 6-8 quality QBS in the NFL, let’s be honest

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Tomlin is smart. He’s very smart. In fact if he had many of our jobs, including mine, he’d be better at it than we are. He has a gift. @BigZeke calls him Mr Loquacious or Coach Cliche or whatever, and it is a brilliant name for him. If he were a rapper, Loquacious T would be perfect for him. He oozes charisma.

So I admire the heck out of him. He’s just not the HC God that some people make him out to be. He’s a fine coach, a good coach, and if he hangs around long enough he might be a champion again and solidify himself as a great But what he has done here the past 10 years is severely overstated by some. He’s made this bed. This is the team he wanted. And these are the schemes that he wants to run. It’s not a great coaching job any way you slice it. He had many people in the local media who cover this team closer than anyone, people who are in the building every day, in awe over him. Now he’s lost most of them because they see what’s going on. I’m not sure who he has left locally. They all mostly respect him still, but they all see him for what he is, a good coach who simply hasn’t got it done for close to a decade.

He has a pretty good formula for doing more with less. But he has an awful formula for assembling/developing a talented roster. Out of the 22 starting positions, I don't even want to guess how many we have below-average talent at. I'm guessing at least 13. Maybe not quite that many, but it feels like it at times.

He's like the college coach who would have Illinois at 7-5 and punching above its weight class, but then he would go 8-4 at Notre Dame.

Serious question. If Kenny played for Mike Shanahan, would he have been 5/8 for 34 yards in the first half? Would he be the worst passer in the league? Or would he be in the 10-20 range league wide?

I feel like I’m arguing you people just like I was with Jeff Capel. If Capel were fired, you guys would have all been right because we will have never known if Capel had the chops to succeed. So it would have ended with a resounding “capel
Sucks” and he’d have that legacy. Thankfully he had a chance to show us all what he could be. So I was right, but in the end could have been wrong if Heather decided to fire him.

Now it’s the same with Kenny. If he continues to play in this offense, with these receivers, this OC, this QB coach, this restrictive HC and this OL that can’t pass block, he will go away and his legacy will be that he sucked. But I cannot in good faith put a label on him right now until he has a hand that he can play with. Right now he has no luck from the dealer. You have to acknowledge that???

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

He’s a master motivator there is no doubt , and there never seems to be a player or ex-player who has anything but total respect for him .

It may be an imperfect analogy - but it may be similar to Sullivan for the Pens.
He’s the loudest voice in the room and sets the tone .
I also think they are both significantly underrated as tacticians

But, Tomlin’s coaching staff is terrible and promoting Austin instead of keeping Flores is mind blowing to me . Our defense is not creative at all.
OL coaching has been a trainwreck for a decade .

Canada makes me long for Finctner and Hailey, which is telling

He has a pretty good formula for doing more with less. But he has an awful formula for assembling/developing a talented roster. Out of the 22 starting positions, I don't even want to guess how many we have below-average talent at. I'm guessing at least 13. Maybe not quite that many, but it feels like it at times.

He's like the college coach who would have Illinois at 7-5 and punching above its weight class, but then he would go 8-4 at Notre Dame.
Let me introduce you to the role of a GM.
I believe Omar will be a huge improvement of the last clown

Serious question. If Kenny played for Mike Shanahan, would he have been 5/8 for 34 yards in the first half? Would he be the worst passer in the league? Or would he be in the 10-20 range league wide?

I feel like I’m arguing you people just like I was with Jeff Capel. If Capel were fired, you guys would have all been right because we will have never known if Capel had the chops to succeed. So it would have ended with a resounding “capel
Sucks” and he’d have that legacy. Thankfully he had a chance to show us all what he could be. So I was right, but in the end could have been wrong if Heather decided to fire him.

Now it’s the same with Kenny. If he continues to play in this offense, with these receivers, this OC, this QB coach, this restrictive HC and this OL that can’t pass block, he will go away and his legacy will be that he sucked. But I cannot in good faith put a label on him right now until he has a hand that he can play with. Right now he has no luck from the dealer. You have to acknowledge that???

I can acknowledge that his draft class was hailed as being historically bad for QB's and that 19 teams, including multiple teams that needed a QB, passed on him. This didn't just happen in a vacuum. There were very real concerns about whether or not he has the tangibles to succeed at this level. What plays has he made that required exceptional talent? I know he's made some nice clutch plays, but I'm talking about ones that were exceptional. And if he can't make those, doesn't he need to be one of the most - instead of one of the least - consistent guys in the league to overcome his inherent deficiencies?

You're wanting to grade him on a curve, but are you going to afford every other QB the same luxury? There are others who have poor offensive lines, poor receivers, poor coaching, etc. So when you say Kenny is somehow one of the 10-20 best quarterbacks in the world, are you giving Bryce Young, etc. the benefit of an adjusted ranking?

I can acknowledge that his draft class was hailed as being historically bad for QB's and that 19 teams, including multiple teams that needed a QB, passed on him. This didn't just happen in a vacuum. There were very real concerns about whether or not he has the tangibles to succeed at this level. What plays has he made that required exceptional talent? I know he's made some nice clutch plays, but I'm talking about ones that were exceptional. And if he can't make those, doesn't he need to be one of the most - instead of one of the least - consistent guys in the league to overcome his inherent deficiencies?

You're wanting to grade him on a curve, but are you going to afford every other QB the same luxury? There are others who have poor offensive lines, poor receivers, poor coaching, etc.
Everybody thought he’d be a developmental guy learning behind Mitch - which is why we signed him before the draft .

But weirdly - Mitch also struggled badly in the offense -eventually getting benched for a rookie QB with question marks .
Kenny is better than Mitch as a steeler and it’s not close .

Seems people have very short memories .
It’s the love of the backup qb .
They called for Kenny as the backup. Now they are callling for the 3rd stringer .
Because it’s idiotic sports talk radio mentality

What I see is a guy whose natural abilities have caught up with him. That's why every time a player jumps up a level (high school to college or college to the NFL), it becomes about potential instead of past production. It happens all the time. It's why Donovan Jeter ends up at Michigan and Zane Dudek ends up at Yale.

Kenny labors to do things that come easily for most NFL quarterbacks. And it's had resounding effects.

Everybody thought he’d be a developmental guy learning behind Mitch - which is why we signed him before the draft .

But weirdly - Mitch also struggled badly in the offense -eventually getting benched for a rookie QB with question marks .
Kenny is better than Mitch as a steeler and it’s not close .

Seems people have very short memories .
It’s the love of the backup qb .
They called for Kenny as the backup. Now they are callling for the 3rd stringer .
Because it’s idiotic sports talk radio mentality

A developmental guy? His draft pitch was literally, "He may not be the most gifted player, but he's 24 years old and has 4 years of P5 experience; he should be the most pro ready."

That was literally one of his biggest selling points in the draft. A developmental guy would have been like Malik Willis.

If it doesn't work out with the Steelers, that doesn't necessarily close the book on his legacy as a NFL QB. He will get other opportunities.

Capel has been a HC well over a decade. We know what he is.

A developmental guy? His draft pitch was literally, "He may not be the most gifted player, but he's 24 years old and has 4 years of P5 experience; he should be the most pro ready."

That was literally one of his biggest selling points in the draft.
Yeah - a guy who can learn and practice as a nfl qb for awhile before taking over.
Did it state him as a plug and play qb ?
No
He’s an athletic guy with good size and a good arm .
Hell you dopes wanted Malik Willis instead who can’t even throw the football

If it doesn't work out with the Steelers, that doesn't necessarily close the book on his legacy as a NFL QB. He will get other opportunities.

Capel also has one tournament appearance in 5 seasons. Using him as an "I told ya so" example would be like someone claiming they were right about Narduzzi being a 3-9 coach all along. Neither coach should be judged solely on one season.

Yeah - a guy who can learn and practice as a nfl qb for awhile before taking over.
Did it state him as a plug and play qb ?
No
He’s an athletic guy with good size and a good arm .
Hell you dopes wanted Malik Willis instead who can’t even throw the football

I didn't want either of them, but clearly you haven't followed Malik Willis' development. He got rave reviews over the summer for the strides he's made. Time will tell whether or not that translates into being an NFL starter, but it's not a bad investment of a 3rd round pick. Unlike Pickett, Willis didn't play in anything that remotely resembled a pro-style offense at Liberty. He was always going to be a multi-year project. Pickett was not.

Very very good chance Trubisky and Rudolph aren’t any better
I'm pretty much certain of this, and hope they try it so everyone can finally have a come to Jesus on the problem. How quickly do people forget that literally nobody wanted Rudolph on their roster. Every single team passed on signing him as a free agent.

Kenny has to get better, but it's not going to happen in this offense and with this OC. Seems like nobody on offense has any interest in playing for this OC, in this ridiculous system.

Nobody is protecting Kenny
Pointing out that Mitch is even worse in this offense is important context as to what the root cause is -
And it’s not individual qb play

Kenny will never be a star.
He’s a capable QB that plays better in the clutch / he’s a gamer .
Nobody thinks he’s Mahomes or burrow level talented .
Nobody
There are only maybe 6-8 quality QBS in the NFL, let’s be honest
Great summary. And I’d say 6-8 is being generous. There’s Mahomes and 6-7 who are good but can’t carry a team like Mahomes. Then there’s the rest

I didn't want either of them, but clearly you haven't followed Malik Willis' development. He got rave reviews over the summer for the strides he's made. Time will tell whether or not that translates into being an NFL starter, but it's not a bad investment of a 3rd round pick. Unlike Pickett, Willis didn't play in anything that remotely resembled a pro-style offense at Liberty. He was always going to be a multi-year project. Pickett was not.
Good to hear about Malik.

We were in Nashville last December for the Titans/Cowboys game, and they were really down on him back then. Supposedly, the word was that he's a good guy with potential, but they were really disappointed in his work ethic and questioned how much he values the chance to be a NFL QB.

But yeah, he was drafted on potential as a multi-year project.

I'm pretty much certain of this, and hope they try it so everyone can finally have a come to Jesus on the problem. How quickly do people forget that literally nobody wanted Rudolph on their roster. Every single team passed on signing him as a free agent.

Kenny has to get better, but it's not going to happen in this offense and with this OC. Seems like nobody on offense has any interest in playing for this OC, in this ridiculous system.
I was way less than half serious with my post wanting Rudolph. However, primary point I was making is that KP’s audition/sample size with the Steelers is now a good order of magnitude larger than that of Trubisky or Rudolph. As much as everyone wants to dump on Trubisky and Rudolph, KP hasn’t shown us anything better in a much larger audition and appears to be getting worse.

You're wanting to grade him on a curve, but are you going to afford every other QB the same luxury? There are others who have poor offensive lines, poor receivers, poor coaching, etc. So when you say Kenny is somehow one of the 10-20 best quarterbacks in the world, are you giving Bryce Young, etc. the benefit of an adjusted ranking?
I can see that by not answering my question, you’re not interested in an honest discussion.

The titans moved up to draft another QB in Levis
He was literally inactive last game because he’s not even good enough to be a back up, let alone a starter

Good to hear about Malik.

We were in Nashville last December for the Titans/Cowboys game, and they were really down on him back then. Supposedly, the word was that he's a good guy with potential, but they were really disappointed in his work ethic and questioned how much he values the chance to be a NFL QB.

But yeah, he was drafted on potential as a multi-year project.
He was literally inactive against the Jags this week
He’s more likely to be on the practice squad for life , than start

I wonder if Tomlin doesn’t want a good offensive coordinator for fear of that person outshining him and making him expendable.

Steelers really haven’t been the same since Arians was forced out. Who later had great success as a head coach in Indianapolis, Arizona, and Tampa Bay

Yeah Capel’s a good coach. I agree.

You’re right about Kenny. But he won’t go anywhere as a starter if he flames out here. He will be a backup and only get his chances through injury and there’s no guarantee of that.

I was way less than half serious with my post wanting Rudolph. However, primary point I was making is that KP’s audition/sample size with the Steelers is now a good order of magnitude larger than that of Trubisky or Rudolph. As much as everyone wants to dump on Trubisky and Rudolph, KP hasn’t shown us anything better in a much larger audition and appears to be getting worse.
And I'm totally serious in that I hope they bench Kenny and play Mitch and Mason. Nothing good can come in this offense.

They didn't even care to block Myles Garrett on the first play from scrimmage on offense. First play from scrimmage, scripted, practiced all week. This staff is a joke.

You mean the one that was about 4 feet too high that DJ had to high jump with full extension to even touch? Are you suggesting that was an adequate throw that should have been caught? Because if we're talking about the same play, it sure wasn't.

I don't think Pickett is a lost cause, I think he was not ready to start in the NFL when he was drafted and he got pressed into duty too early in a substandard offense with substandard coaching and personnel. He needed time and a better team to have a chance at success, he's not so talented that he could come into the NFL and put a team on his back.

But to act like he's playing well and it's everyone and everything else's fault is absurd. He has not played well. That is a fact. Not to absolve Canada of his own role in this lousy product, but have any of you considered the possibility that Canada is calling the offense the way he does because he doesn't/can't trust Pickett to throw the ball down the middle of the field? Because that's what some objective national media types seem to believe.

I mean, even when he has time, Pickett isn't making many good short and intermediate throws to open guys.
Under the circumstances that was a great throw.

He wasn't standing in the pocket, it was a roll out that the defense collapsed the edge forcing him to have to run further away from the Los than it was designed, so he ended up throwing a fairly long pass, on the run, running toward the sideline falling backwards to get it off.

As for Johnson, his head wasn't in the game from the very beginning, missed a number of other catches and a few times he and kp were not on the same page.

He was literally inactive last game because he’s not even good enough to be a back up, let alone a starter

He was historically awful last season. It looked like a failed project. The drafted someone else. Malik made huge strides in the summer, after the draft.

I'm willing to bet a good deal of money (as the Stillers actually did) that Pickett has a significantly longer and more productive NFL career than Willis.

I think Pickett has enough natural ability to be a successful starter in the NFL. It's a matter of whether he does that in Pittsburgh or somewhere else.

I'm pretty confident that if you put Brock Purdy on this Stillers team and Pickett on this Niners team, I think both teams' seasons would be identical to what they have been this year. Pickett ebign a first rounder will make way more money with his first contract than Purdy, but Purdy actually ended up in a way better long-term career situation than Pickett by being a draft atherthought [picked by a good team that didn;t evne need a QB from the draft. It's kind of like your parents, you don't get to pick what team takes you. Some kids are born to wealthy parents, some to derelicts, and everything in between.

Lol. But they were raving about him in camp. Of the Steelers had drafted him in the third round and his only saving grace was he was raves about in camp what do you think ynzers would be saying about him.

I'm willing to bet a good deal of money (as the Stillers actually did) that Pickett has a significantly longer and more productive NFL career than Willis.

I think Pickett has enough natural ability to be a successful starter in the NFL. It's a matter of whether he does that in Pittsburgh or somewhere else.

I'm pretty confident that if you put Brock Purdy on this Stillers team and Pickett on this Niners team, I think both teams' seasons would be identical to what they have been this year. Pickett ebign a first rounder will make way more money with his first contract than Purdy, but Purdy actually ended up in a way better long-term career situation than Pickett by being a draft atherthought [picked by a good team that didn;t evne need a QB from the draft. It's kind of like your parents, you don't get to pick what team takes you. Some kids are born to wealthy parents, some to derelicts, and everything in between.
Great post. People are slobbering all over Purdy but the dude has the leagues best talent around him and isn’t running for his life on most plays. Few qbs would fail in that offense just like few would succeed or even be decent in the abortion that is the Steelers offense

I can see that by not answering my question, you’re not interested in an honest discussion.

Maybe he could be in the 10-20 range in passing in Shanahan's system. Could Daniel Jones be? Could Zach Wilson be? Could Will Levis be? Could Derek Carr be? Could Mac Jones be? Could Kyle Boller have been?

My point was since we have no way to ever know, perhaps it's more reliable to go on what the league thought of all these guys when there was no situation to factor into the equation. Many said Pickett would have been something closer to a 3rd round pick in a "normal" QB draft year. Many had issues with his abilities. Has he done anything to dispel these notions, or is it an actual possibility that the drafts experts, the Falcons, the Panthers, the Saints, the Seahawks, the Titans, etc. were actually not all incorrect?

The Pickett defense on this board reminds me of my friend who still insists that Tom Brady wasn't that good. I would think the MVPs and Super Bowl trophies would serve as a pretty solid indication that he was, in fact, very good. Nope. He insists he was the beneficiary of playing in great systems and having great defenses. Since it's all subjective on some level, I'll never convince him otherwise. Just like Pickett always be a great QB who was a victim of circumstance in the eyes of like 4,500 Pitt fans.

And I'm totally serious in that I hope they bench Kenny and play Mitch and Mason. Nothing good can come in this offense.

They didn't even care to block Myles Garrett on the first play from scrimmage on offense. First play from scrimmage, scripted, practiced all week. This staff is a joke.
Same. Rudolph is a statue that will get crushed by this Ol and Mitch will be serving up pick sixes

BR got a bad rap in his last year under this bozo fans said his arm was shot because of the dink and dunk offense. But somehow in the fourth quarter when they scrapped Canada drys play calling he was throwing downfield and moved the offense with that same shot arm

Great post. People are slobbering all over Purdy but the dude has the leagues best talent around him and isn’t running for his life on most plays. Few qbs would fail in that offense just like few would succeed or even be decent in the abortion that is the Steelers offense

Actually, people have taken it way too far in the other direction with Purdy. The dude has a lot more talent than he's given credit for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT