ADVERTISEMENT

That last Stillers offensive possession….

is as bad as it gets at any level of football.

The offense is just terrible in every way. Steelers had virtually zero passing offense in that game. Canada needs to go the minute the season ends.
It will be too late then. Tomlin is right next door to Pitt. If he doesn’t see what delaying making an OC change cost Pitt this season, he is too stubborn to win another superbowl.

It will be too late then. Tomlin is right next door to Pitt. If he doesn’t see what delaying making an OC change cost Pitt this season, he is too stubborn to win another superbowl.
Like Bryant McFadden said on the extra point, that is extremely poor clock management by the offense, or aka the guy who calls the plays. Then a 20 yard punt by a punter who was a draft pick. Kenny was off and the oline can't pass block- rough to watch

Reactions: 303vND
KP came in firing last season. Now he has been made to throw safe passes to the edge and screens that get blown up as soon as the ball is snapped. It's time to change the offense.

Reactions: cbpitt2 and pittpsu
Canada shouldn't have been brought back after his first year with the team (well, he never should've been hired). This is exactly the type of offense Tomlin wants.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Canada shouldn't have been brought back after his first year with the team (well, he never should've been hired). This is exactly the type of offense Tomlin wants.
Yep. Which is why it’s 75% on Mike T. And before any Tomlin apologists come at me for stating it…it’s ok to put blame on the guy. He’s not perfect. Hiring Canada was strike 1. Retaining him was strike 2. And now telling his elementary offense to be even more elementary the last 3 weeks is strike 3.

Fix the problem!!

is as bad as it gets at any level of football.

The offense is just terrible in every way. Steelers had virtually zero passing offense in that game. Canada needs to go the minute the season ends.
He needs to be fired today
Why wait ?

Yep. Which is why it’s 75% on Mike T. And before any Tomlin apologists come at me for stating it…it’s ok to put blame on the guy. He’s not perfect. Hiring Canada was strike 1. Retaining him was strike 2. And now telling his elementary offense to be even more elementary the last 3 weeks is strike 3.

Fix the problem!!
He’s going to lose his job because his coordinators suck as do his OL coaching

Yes - teryl Austin is almost as bad as Canada
Let’s be honest

Reactions: 303vND and Fk_Pitt
When you have the job security Tomlin has, there is no pressure to make changes, especially right away... Only the HC's that feel the heat make changes during the season...

Fix the problem!!
You need to make up your mind. You’ve essentially said this same thing multiple times previously but it was always Rooney you were pointing the finger at not Tomlin

You surprise me though, never figured you for such a KP apologist. No matter how bad our OC and offensive scheme may be, you’d think KP would be able to rise above it and go off in at least 1 game over 22 or so attempts. Other pedestrian QBs in other pedestrian offensive systems are able to do it, but KP hasn’t come close once. He’s living by a thread in a handful of games where he’s been able to put 1 maybe 2 decent 4th Qtr drives together to win a game. He’s never put a full game together yet in more than enough attempts.

Reactions: martingale
He’s going to lose his job because his coordinators suck as do his OL coaching

Yes - teryl Austin is almost as bad as Canada
Let’s be honest
He’s gonna get an extension. He won’t lose his job.

And I think you know me by now, I flip on Tomlin. Sometimes I like him and sometimes I dislike some of the things he does. But I’ve never disliked him. But you’re right, his coordinators are his biggest issue. And I blame the low paying Rooney for that. He’s the boss.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
He’s gonna get an extension. He won’t lose his job.

And I think you know me by now, I flip on Tomlin. Sometimes I like him and sometimes I dislike some of the things he does. But I’ve never disliked him. But you’re right, his coordinators are his biggest issue. And I blame the low paying Rooney for that. He’s the boss.
Who was the last really good coordinator on either side of the ball ?

You’d have to go back to Lebeau and he was inherited

The Ol has been a mess since munchak left

You need to make up your mind. You’ve essentially said this same thing multiple times previously but it was always Rooney you were pointing the finger at not Tomlin

You surprise me though, never figured you for such a KP apologist. No matter how bad our OC and offensive scheme may be, you’d think KP would be able to rise above it and go off in at least 1 game over 22 or so attempts. Other pedestrian QBs in other pedestrian offensive systems are able to do it, but KP hasn’t come close once. He’s living by a thread in a handful of games where he’s been able to put 1 maybe 2 decent 4th Qtr drives together to win a game. He’s never put a full game together yet in more than enough attempts.
What don’t you understand. Kenny isn’t allowed to be Kenny until the 4th quarter. And up until the rib injury 3 weeks ago, most of the talking heads were starting to come around on Kenny because they saw that what he was doing in 4th quarters was longer than a trend. But the offense has changed since then. Go back and watch the film. It has gotten way more conservative. That’s not on him. It’s obvious that it’s a change in scheme. It went from a vanilla middle school scheme to now a vanilla middle school conservative scheme.

And I’m not an apologist. I’m willing to concede that he might be worse than pedestrian. But there is absolutely no way to know within the confines of what he’s being asked to do, and what he’s being told not to do.

And I’m going to keep defending him just like I was defending Capel and being called a Capel apologist. I can see when the chips are stacked against someone and I prefer to wait and see how they can perform when they aren’t.

Who was the last really good coordinator on either side of the ball ?

You’d have to go back to Lebeau and he was inherited

The Ol has been a mess since munchak left
Well I’d love to see Haley and Arians with this offense.

Fix the problem!!
I’ve been a Tomlin apologist. But I’m losing faith, week by week. I knew this offense would be a total Cleveland Steamer today as soon as I heard Watson was out. Tomlin thought he could win by going even more conservative than his normal ridiculous conservative game plans. I’m getting tired of “rock fights” and want some F’n points on the scoreboard.

Reactions: jctrack and Fk_Pitt
What don’t you understand. Kenny isn’t allowed to be Kenny until the 4th quarter. And up until the rib injury 3 weeks ago, most of the talking heads were starting to come around on Kenny because they saw that what he was doing in 4th quarters was longer than a trend. But the offense has changed since then. Go back and watch the film. It has gotten way more conservative. That’s not on him. It’s obvious that it’s a change in scheme. It went from a vanilla middle school scheme to now a vanilla middle school conservative scheme.

And I’m not an apologist. I’m willing to concede that he might be worse than pedestrian. But there is absolutely no way to know within the confines of what he’s being asked to do, and what he’s being told not to do.

And I’m going to keep defending him just like I was defending Capel and being called a Capel apologist. I can see when the chips are stacked against someone and I prefer to wait and see how they can perform when they aren’t.
I’ve been a Tomlin apologist. But I’m losing faith, week by week. I knew this offense would be a total Cleveland Steamer today as soon as I heard Watson was out. Tomlin thought he could win by going even more conservative than his normal ridiculous conservative game plans. I’m getting tired of “rock fights” and want some F’n points on the scoreboard.
I think you nailed it.

• Love
Reactions: OH Pete and Fk_Pitt
Steelers aren’t winning anything this year. They don’t have the team. But canning Canada now would be fine by me.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Hypotheticals are easy aren’t they? The fact is they chose the wrong QB. We saw that from game 2, yet they allow the problem to get worst and lost the next 4 games. As many allude to , this program is lacking in resources and national prestige. They should have been fighting to scrape out as many wins as possible so once they bench Jurk, they keep the other anchor/problem -Cignetti for the rest of the year. This offense has demoralized the defense to the extent that it exposed the weaknesses by staying on the field for far too long. I am suggested that going with a new OC and QB after the 1-4 start, would not have caused the team to do worse record wise. Those who are afraid of change are not leaders and head coaches like these get mediocre or worse results. I am of the opinion that the talent on this team was good enough to get to 6-6 with better coaching.

I’d argue the previous possession ending on 3rd and 15 sideways pass to Warren

Like that had zero chance in getting a first down

Nice call Canada
That was bad, but that last 3 and out possession started with under 2 minutes left and used 14 total seconds of game clock and gave the ball right back to the Browns with time to win the game. It doesn’t get worse than that.

No point in firing an offensive coordinator now and trying to implement a new scheme mid season. That is what the offseason is for.

Just like Pitt needing to give Narduzzi an ultimatum to fire Cignetti, the same should be done to Tomlin with Canada. And they need to start scouting college quarterbacks as well

Near the top in TO which is keeping points against credible.
I think this was Canada’s worst game.
Kenny regressing to pre 11-2 level.

Hypotheticals are easy aren’t they? The fact is they chose the wrong QB. We saw that from game 2, yet they allow the problem to get worst and lost the next 4 games. As many allude to , this program is lacking in resources and national prestige. They should have been fighting to scrape out as many wins as possible so once they bench Jurk, they keep the other anchor/problem -Cignetti for the rest of the year. This offense has demoralized the defense to the extent that it exposed the weaknesses by staying on the field for far too long. I am suggested that going with a new OC and QB after the 1-4 start, would not have caused the team to do worse record wise. Those who are afraid of change are not leaders and head coaches like these get mediocre or worse results. I am of the opinion that the talent on this team was good enough to get to 6-6 with better coaching.
No. Hypotheticals aren't easy.

I think it's fair to say that they chose a bad QB. I wouldn't say it was the wrong choice though. They were choosing between 3 bad quarterbacks, so there was no "good" choice. They went with the most experienced guy that knew the offense. Jurk was also probably the greatest running threat and best prepared to absorb a hit. (Which sadly, probably factored in the given the OL situation). Hard to argue with that logic.

Jurkovec totally sucked ass against Cincinnati, as evidenced by his 30% completion rate. However, he did throw 3 TDs, which is more than any other QB has in a game this year, The 21 points is pretty much at the top end of what this offense seems capable of putting on the board.

This was a recruiting failure. This season was doomed before it started. It really has little to do with choosing the wrong QB.

No point in firing an offensive coordinator now and trying to implement a new scheme mid season. That is what the offseason is for.

Just like Pitt needing to give Narduzzi an ultimatum to fire Cignetti, the same should be done to Tomlin with Canada. And they need to start scouting college quarterbacks as well

No. Hypotheticals aren't easy.

I think it's fair to say that they chose a bad QB. I wouldn't say it was the wrong choice though. They were choosing between 3 bad quarterbacks, so there was no "good" choice. They went with the most experienced guy that knew the offense. Jurk was also probably the greatest running threat and best prepared to absorb a hit. (Which sadly, probably factored in the given the OL situation). Hard to argue with that logic.

Jurkovec totally sucked ass against Cincinnati, as evidenced by his 30% completion rate. However, he did throw 3 TDs, which is more than any other QB has in a game this year, The 21 points is pretty much at the top end of what this offense seems capable of putting on the board.

This was a recruiting failure. This season was doomed before it started. It really has little to do with choosing the wrong QB.
I agree with you unless in the next 2 years either of CV or NY prove to be QBs that lead us to 8-4 or better. Jurk has proven to suck for us. Jurk supposed was made for Cignetti’s system. I would give them next year with a new OC to prove they are not the guy. I think the OC bringing with him or recruiting a QB that just steps in and direct us to victories is a pipe dream. Our QB recruiting under Pat speaks for itself. 2 yrs out of 9 of good or better QB play. Hope I am wrong and we get Caleb Williams 2 without the sobbing.

I agree with you unless in the next 2 years either of CV or NY prove to be QBs that lead us to 8-4 or better. Jurk has proven to suck for us. Jurk supposed was made for Cignetti’s system. I would give them next year with a new OC to prove they are not the guy. I think the OC bringing with him or recruiting a QB that just steps in and direct us to victories is a pipe dream. Our QB recruiting under Pat speaks for itself. 2 yrs out of 9 of good or better QB play. Hope I am wrong and we get Caleb Williams 2 without the sobbing.
I'm not saying CV or NY can't be good QBs, or won't have success down the road. They both have a lot of potential. I think they can both be pretty good QBs. It was just obvious that they weren't ready to step in and win games this year.

The OC thing could end up being a bit dicey. I have no idea how either NY or CV feel about the offense or Cignetti. It's possible they have no interest in learning a new system and actually want to play in Cignetti's offense. It's also possible they both want a new OC, or maybe they are split on the issue. Also, does their opinion carry any weight at all with Narduzzi? We don't get to write the narrative on that one.

A lot to factor in and that's why Duzz makes the big bucks. Regardless, the offense has to be a lot better next year.

28th total defense
24th rush defense
27th pass defense
Like I said
Teryl Austin stinks too
He’s a patsy it’s not really his defense. Although, Tomlin always was thought to be the de facto DC but this year he says that Austin is making the calls. So who knows.

KP came in firing last season. Now he has been made to throw safe passes to the edge and screens that get blown up as soon as the ball is snapped. It's time to change the offense.

- They consistently run into 8 and 9 men fronts. Follow Allen Robinson and you'll find where the run is going.

- They ran that horrendous screen pass a half dozen times. It worked once.

- 90% of passes are to the boundary.

- They threw one ball downfield, and it was on the last drive.

You aren't going to beat NFL teams with an offense like this, and certainly not a good one like Cleveland.

KP looks disgusted and dejected sitting on the sidelines. Most of the shots were of him alone. You'd think Canada or his QB coach would be there in every shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT