ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC problem

I agree, but if you know that you are probably going to be playing an Oregon State in your tournament, then you need to take that into account when you are putting together the rest of your schedule.

Knowing what they knew, they really just needed one more game;

Top 5 WVU team on the road = probable loss

Missouri team returning 3 key players from Round of 32 game = good resume game

Florida = decent chance for a nice win

Oregon State if they lost that = cupcake

Needed 1 more and no, not Duquesne. They could have gone 8-24.

Top 5 WVU team on the road = probable loss

It was June when Huggie Bear got arrested. I wonder how much of the schedule was put together at that point, because it should have been obvious that a disaster was much more likely for them at that point than a top five team.

In fact I can't imagine what substances someone would have had to have been on to think that West Virginia was going to be a top five team in any event. But after the drunk imploded in public, you have to be Western Psych level delusional to think that was likely to happen.

It was June when Huggie Bear got arrested. I wonder how much of the schedule was put together at that point, because it should have been obvious that a disaster was much more likely for them at that point than a top five team.

In fact I can't imagine what substances someone would have had to have been on to think that West Virginia was going to be a top five team in any event. But after the drunk imploded in public, you have to be Western Psych level delusional to think that was likely to happen.

Right. Once WVU started losing players to the portal late, the question is who could Pitt have added? I mean anything is possible but it would have taken time and money. Would have possibly had to buy out of a contract with a Canisius and maybe paid a buyout fee for Ohio State to buyout with Northern Kentucky or whoever.

Youb
With the addition of the 3 new teams next year the ACC has the opportunity to play a balanced schedule. With 18 teams every team should play every opponent only once for a total of 17 games. That increases the OOC to 14 games so that a bigger than 2-game tourney can be added or second 2 game tourney played producing a more interesting OOC schedule.

This would be a win-win for the ACC, IMHO. Pitt would be able to add Duquesne, also.
You might even be able to bring back the Steel Bowl tourney!

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Pitt will be the tenth next year! H2P

I said a few weeks ago, this Pitt team could mess around and wind up in the Final Four. There are only 5 or 6 teams in this tournament that are clearly better than us. Beyond that, they'd be basically 50/50 games. Whoever shoots better wins. Nothing I have seen so far makes me not believe this. Pitt was one of the best teams in the country the last 2 months. The NCAAT was stolen from us. Get Rudy on the case. I dont even truly believe we lost to Missouri.

Pure shooters win games. We need a couple of key pieces but there is no reason why we shouldn’t be excited going into next year.

I’m still sick we didn’t get in. Metrics aside, the eye test proves we could play with the field. I understand the need to incorporate the computer but come on…

I’m still sick we didn’t get in. Metrics aside, the eye test proves we could play with the field.

Still having a hard time with it myself. Watching this tournament is making it harder, not easier. We are as good or better than almost all of these teams. Friggin Mountain West, main. I'm never going to forgive them for that or for putting UVa in over us when we had the better game for game resume.

Still having a hard time with it myself. Watching this tournament is making it harder, not easier. We are as good or better than almost all of these teams. Friggin Mountain West, main. I'm never going to forgive them for that or for putting UVa in over us when we had the better game for game resume.
Very hard to watch Pitt not get a shot at having a run. The feeling that this season ended prematurely isn’t going away.

Reactions: FireballZ
I said a few weeks ago, this Pitt team could mess around and wind up in the Final Four. There are only 5 or 6 teams in this tournament that are clearly better than us. Beyond that, they'd be basically 50/50 games. Whoever shoots better wins. Nothing I have seen so far makes me not believe this. Pitt was one of the best teams in the country the last 2 months. The NCAAT was stolen from us. Get Rudy on the case. I dont even truly believe we lost to Missouri.
There are several teams in the tourney clearly better than Pitt.

If you ignore Pitt's total lack of a quality big, mediocre defense, and reliance on the 3 point shot, then sure,

Pitt needed to get some wins against high quality opponents to help offset the mess they made from November through January. Other than the Duke win, we're talking wins over Wake and UVA as the only good wins on the resume. That doesn't prove much of anything to anybody.

If you ignore Pitt's total lack of a quality big, mediocre defense, and reliance on the 3 point shot, then sure,

Pitt needed to get some wins against high quality opponents to help offset the mess they made from November through January. Other than the Duke win, we're talking wins over Wake and UVA as the only good wins on the resume. That doesn't prove much of anything to anybody.
Given what's happening in the tournament, how do Pitt's 2 wins vs NC State stack up, resume wise?

Pitt is 3-1 against teams in the Elite 8. Anyone with a brain knows Pitt deserved a bid.
NC State wasn't getting a bid without winning the ACC Tournament. Those wins did nothing to bolster Pitt's Tournament resume on selection Sunday.

Some of you seem to the the Selection committee is clairvoyant.

Pitt needed to go through NC State route and win the tourney.

Last edited:
NC State wasn't getting a bid without winning the ACC Tournament. Those wins did nothing to bolster Pitt's Tournament resume on selection Sunday.

Because the NCAA committee are non-basketball idiots who dont watch games!!!!!!

Pitt 1 million percent deserved a bid over:

UVa
Dayton
FAU
Boise
Colorado St
Colorado

The ACC went 12-3 head to head against the Big 12. The ACC has 3 teams in the Elite 8 and the Big 12 has 0. The Big 12 received 8 bids. But somehow you think the team that finished fourth in the ACC and made the semifinals doesn’t deserve a bid. You are a jackal.

Hindsight is always perfect vision. That said, at least now include the wins vs NC State as being significant. The fact we didn't get to the tournament is water under the bridge; our body of work was better than many teams that made the tournament

it’s hard to beat 2 Elite 8 teams on their home court, finish ahead of 2 Elite 8 teams in conference play, win 22 games and miss the tournament

This Pitt team is

Pitt needed to get some wins against high quality opponents to help offset the mess they made from November through January. Other than the Duke win, we're talking wins over Wake and UVA as the onlgood wins on the resume.

4 Q1 wins including @ NC St, who finished 63 in the NET. That's a quality win.

And we actually agree, there are several teams clearly better than Pitt. Several, not many.

Because the NCAA committee are non-basketball idiots who dont watch games!!!!!!

Pitt 1 million percent deserved a bid over:

UVa
Dayton
FAU
Boise
Colorado St
Colorado
Barnes on the committee is all you need to know why Pitt wasn't picked for the tourney. This came from some Pitt high ups.

• Haha
Reactions: TD_6082
The ACC went 12-3 head to head against the Big 12. The ACC has 3 teams in the Elite 8 and the Big 12 has 0. The Big 12 received 8 bids. But somehow you think the team that finished fourth in the ACC and made the semifinals doesn’t deserve a bid. You are a jackal.

And no matter how many times I posted the Pitt vs UVa game for game comparison whicb clearly shows Pitt with the better resume, his retort was UVa beat Texas A&M in the non-con. Who the eff cares? UVa had better wins OOC. Pitt had better wins in conference. Pitt's overall game for game resume was better.

Barnes on the committee is all you need to know why Pitt wasn't picked for the tourney. This came from some Pitt high ups.

I would sue him for breach of fiduciary duties while the AD at Pitt. He needs to be held accountable for being an incompetent asshole. Not sure if there is a statue of limitations.

Hindsight is always perfect vision. That said, at least now include the wins vs NC State as being significant. The fact we didn't get to the tournament is water under the bridge; our body of work was better than many teams that made the tournament
I don't see them as being that significant. NC State is a different team now than they were in the regular season. NCSU went 2-7 down the stretch. They were practically a punching bag that literally had nothing to play for. Their entire season hinged on winning the ACC Tournament.

I don't see them as being that significant. NC State is a different team now than they were in the regular season. NCSU went 2-7 down the stretch. They were practically a punching bag that literally had nothing to play for. Their entire season hinged on winning the ACC Tournament.
And you don't think we were a different team 2nd half of the season going 12-4??? SMH

And no matter how many times I posted the Pitt vs UVa game for game comparison whicb clearly shows Pitt with the better resume, his retort was UVa beat Texas A&M in the non-con. Who the eff cares? UVa had better wins OOC. Pitt had better wins in conference. Pitt's overall game for game resume was better.
Obviously the selection committee cared.

Pitt lost to Missouri. They were swept by Syracuse. They lost to Clemson & Miami. You tend to gloss over those inconvenient facts.

ACC already had best tournament record the last 2 years and now is blowing all the other conferences away over the last 3 years. I am not asking for clairvoyance, I’m asking for using actual results that indicate true conference strength. The perception that the ACC was weak was wrong all season based on a handful of games played in the first month of the season and pundits who are looking for the next cool kid conference like the MWC.

How many years in a row does the committee have to be wrong about true conference strength?

And you don't think we were a different team 2nd half of the season going 12-4??? SMH
Absolutely. Of course they were. But who did they beat? What stands out about there resume that says they should be in the tourney?

They still couldn't beat UNC or Clemson. They lost to terrible Miami team. The only decent wins were against bubble teams like UVA & Wake. There's a 91-58 loss to Wake mixed in there too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT