ADVERTISEMENT

The Big 10 Media Bias is Ridiculous

The Big 10 has 6 teams in the Top 25. MSU gets blasted and only drops 5 spots. PS beats Rutgers and jumps up 4 spots. Okie St beats a good Iowa St team and they barely move. The bias showed toward the Big 10 is ridiculous.
Always has been. Always will be. Money talks.

Reactions: pbrad
Talking about the Pitt/Miami game, Herbie said it would be difficult for Miami to adjust to playing in a different environment in "half empty Heinz Stadium."

A Big 10 team will find their way into the Playoff. They are doing everything they can to prop up that conference. If Wisky loses and OSU finishes 11-2, then OSU will weasel their way into the Playoff.

Reactions: pbrad
A Big 10 team will find their way into the Playoff. They are doing everything they can to prop up that conference. If Wisky loses and OSU finishes 11-2, then OSU will weasel their way into the Playoff.

You can take that to the bank. If Clemson loses to Miami they are out and that gets OSU who got BLASTED by a mediocre Iowa team in the playoff.

You can take that to the bank. If Clemson loses to Miami they are out and that gets OSU who got BLASTED by a mediocre Iowa team in the playoff.
They are doing EVERYTHING they can to stack the Top 25 with Big 10 teams and they rank them higher than they should be. They are going to have at least 1 SEC Team and 1 Big 10 team hell or high water if they can.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
They are doing EVERYTHING they can to stack the Top 25 with Big 10 teams and they rank them higher than they should be. They are going to have at least 1 SEC Team and 1 Big 10 team hell or high water if they can.

Really? So that's why currently no Big Ten team is in the playoff?

It's silly. Honestly. Northwestern ranked on the strength of a 3 OT win over Sparty. VT has a win over WVU. They should be ranked still.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
The Big 10 has 6 teams in the Top 25. MSU gets blasted and only drops 5 spots. PS beats Rutgers and jumps up 4 spots. Okie St beats a good Iowa St team and they barely move. The bias shown towards the Big 10 is ridiculous.

The Big Ten is a joke... they are doing everything they can to make sure a Big Ten teams gets into the playoff when absolutely none deserve it unless Wisc goes undefeated which wont happen.

Really? So that's why currently no Big Ten team is in the playoff?
They are setting the stage, so the winner of Wisky and OSU gets into the Playoff. Do you think 6 Big 10 teams deserve to be in the Top 25? I could name a bunch of teams that deserve to be in over Northwestern. Who exactly has Michigan beat that is good?

It's silly. Honestly. Northwestern ranked on the strength of a 3 OT win over Sparty. VT has a win over WVU. They should be ranked still.
Not just VT, but WVU should be ranked over Northwestern. I’d love to see this NW team play WVU or VT - guarantee they’d lose to both.

As for Boise... don’t know, they’re weird. Had that bad blowout loss at home to Virginia, but then had a commanding 4th quarter lead on the road at Washington St, only to choke that one away in OT. Should’ve won at least one of those.

I’ve always liked Boise. They’ve shut the non major conference haters up with those 3 Fiesta Bowl wins over the course of like 7 years - granted one was against a then Mountain West TCU team at the time. I’d kill to have their football success this century, it really does outshine most power 5 conference programs.

Why is anyone surprised, osu is over rated year in and year out. Blowout losses mean nothing to them, they could have 3 losses now and still be top 10.

No worse than the SEC people. Who is guaranteed a playoff berth every year.
ACC gets no respect despite having the reigning national champion and could repeat (Miami or Clemson).

ACC gets no respect? Yet they have 2 teams in the top 4 right now.

I don't mind the rankings, things will work themselves out. Based on the last 2 weeks schedules VT and Ville could move back into the top 25, Michigan is probably going to fall out if they lose to tOSU.

This is just a snapshot in time.

Edit: Actually, if I had an issue, it's why TCU and OSU are getting no respect and PSU jumped up so much for beating Rutgers.

Michigan will fall out IMO.

Last edited:
Every year the big 10 gets embarrassed in bowl games, so, there is that to show the world they are wrong. The fact of the matter is there are just SOOOOO many big ten grads being pumped out of these schools that they tailor it to them.

But when the ACC goes 5-2 again and the big 10 goes 2-5 then we can brag for like the 10th straight year

Anytime you have people influencing the system, it will be flawed. Not until they take only conference winners (and all conference winners) will this issue be solved. I don't agree having more than 1 team from a conference in the playoff. If you can't win your conference, you don't belong there.

But the story holds true. Anytime something doesn't make sense, follow the money.

I don't ever remember a time when the B1G wasn't overrated. I don't have a problem with Whisky. Being undefeated isn't easy no matter how terrible your schedule is every year. The B1G east is supposedly a powerhouse but only if you consider their body of work amongst themselves. The best out of conference wins for each:

Ohio State: Army (lost to OU)
Michigan: Florida or Air Force I guess
Penn State: Akron, Akron, and Akron

Whisky actually beat sort of a good team in Florida Atlantic. Well, they're at the top of Conference USA.

But, you know, they don't play and FCS teams so that automatically makes them so much better, right?

The vaunted Big 10 East has had the following games against ranked non-conference opponents this year:

Ohio State - lose vs Oklahoma
Michigan State - lose vs Notre Dame
Rutgers - loss vs Washington
Maryland - loss vs UCF

In most years the wins vs. Texas and Florida would be nice, but they are no where near ranked at a combined 8-11.

Their problem definitely isn't "they just beat up on each other." They yet again lost their big non-conference games and beat up on the MAC (well except Rutgers who has a MAC loss to Eastern Michigan too.)

Just strange to see a team like WVU unranked while Northwestern is ranked. OSU jumping fewer spot then PSU after besting a Top 20 opponent on the road while PSU beat cellar dweller Rutgers at home. MSU with 3 losses and after losing 48-3 only dipping 5 spots. Just seems odd.

The vaunted Big 10 East has had the following games against ranked non-conference opponents this year:

Ohio State - lose vs Oklahoma
Michigan State - lose vs Notre Dame
Rutgers - loss vs Washington
Maryland - loss vs UCF

In most years the wins vs. Texas and Florida would be nice, but they are no where near ranked at a combined 8-11.

Their problem definitely isn't "they just beat up on each other." They yet again lost their big non-conference games and beat up on the MAC (well except Rutgers who has a MAC loss to Eastern Michigan too.)
"they just beat up on each other."... until, of course, when bowl season comes around and everyone else beats up on them....

Just strange to see a team like WVU unranked while Northwestern is ranked. OSU jumping fewer spot then PSU after besting a Top 20 opponent on the road while PSU beat cellar dweller Rutgers at home. MSU with 3 losses and after losing 48-3 only dipping 5 spots. Just seems odd.

Yep. I bet if WVU played Northwestern, as much as I'd root for the Wildcats, WVU would be favored by around 10. Equal conference records and they each won their two easiest non conference games, but WVU has had a tougher conference schedule and also their non-conference loss was 31-24 vs, Virginia Tech. Northwestern's big non conference game was losing to fellow academic program Duke 41-17!

---

MSU is #24 in AP and #22 in coaches, both of which sound about right. They'll have room to move up because they finish with Maryland and Rutgers. But CFP has them at #17, which seems crazy considering their major out of conference test was being beaten down badly by Notre Dame and their Ohio State loss was such a huge blowout. Margin of loss matters..

---

Anyway I do think the CFP top four are basically right on as it is now, though it'll obviously change when Miami and Clemson play each other.

The problem is that no conference is clearly the best this year.

The Pac-12 has the best Power5 record at 6-2, but defeating 6-4 Texas A&M is the closest the conference has to a signature OOC win.

The Big10 is the only other conference with a positive winning percentage against Power5 at 7-5. But again, it only has one real signature win against Iowa St.

SEC is 5-6 with wins against NC State and GTech. Unfortunately for us, 4 of their 5 wins are vs ACC.

The Big12 is 4-6 with its only big win vs Ohio St.

Then there's the ACC, the Power 5 with the worst OOC winning percentage(thanks in no small part to Pitt) at 5-8. The ACC has quality wins against Northwestern, Auburn, and WVU. But, again, it also has the worst winning percentage.

One thing that you have to look at is that the ACC has played an alarmingly hard OOC schedule this year. It has played 6 OOC teams in the top 30, and 8 in the top 33. No other conference can claim more than 5 teams in the top 33. Big 12=4, Big10=2, PAC12=0, SEC=5.

With this kind of parity, how can you say one conference is overrated and another underrated?

I'd probably give the edge to the SEC again this year -- Georgia over Notre Dame was a big win you skipped maybe because of their independent status. But it's not at all clear because of the small sample size. ACC has indeed had a tough group of match-ups.

Usually rivalry week helps clear it up a bit before the bowls too. Right now it's literally 5 or 6 games we're looking at.

My only point on the Big 10 East is the narrative that they're locked out of the playoffs from beating each other ignores the Oklahoma and Notre Dame losses they have and the fact Penn State had no significant non-conference win (sorry, us.)

Talking about the Pitt/Miami game, Herbie said it would be difficult for Miami to adjust to playing in a different environment in "half empty Heinz Stadium."

Herbie is the ultimate dolt. He loved us when Walt was here because it game him an easy reference to the Buckeyes but he hates us now. As he has become more popular, he inserts a much higher percentage of biased editorialism (read: B10 messaging) into his content. I don't even listen to Herbie anymore. He probably hates us because we took him to the woodshed in 1988.......

They are setting the stage, so the winner of Wisky and OSU gets into the Playoff. Do you think 6 Big 10 teams deserve to be in the Top 25? I could name a bunch of teams that deserve to be in over Northwestern. Who exactly has Michigan beat that is good?

The problem is, you have to name someone who is more deserving. Here is the list of unranked P5 schools with 2 or 3 losses.

Virginia Tech 7-3
West Virginia 7-3
Arizona 7-3
South Carolina 7-3
Kentucky 7-3

That's it. Everybody else has 4+ losses. You could argue one way or another, but it's certainly not clear cut that any of these teams are demonstrably better than Michigan or Northwestern.

The problem is, you have to name someone who is more deserving. Here is the list of unranked P5 schools with 2 or 3 losses.

Virginia Tech 7-3
West Virginia 7-3
Arizona 7-3
South Carolina 7-3
Kentucky 7-3

That's it. Everybody else has 4+ losses. You could argue one way or another, but it's certainly not clear cut that any of these teams are demonstrably better than Michigan or Northwestern.

Right. And in the next 2 weeks, it will work itself out.

Virginia Tech 7-3
West Virginia 7-3
Arizona 7-3
South Carolina 7-3
Kentucky 7-3

Everyone has their preference but I would go with quality wins. Virginia Tech has beaten WVU.

They also haven't been blow out like Northwestern was against Duke. 41-17 against a team with a losing record is a pretty good reason to be below the other teams with the same record as you.

I wonder if the bias there is more out of respect for Northwesterns admirable academics and their coach than their actual results.

Everyone has their preference but I would go with quality wins. Virginia Tech has beaten WVU.

They also haven't been blow out like Northwestern was against Duke. 41-17 against a team with a losing record is a pretty good reason to be below the other teams with the same record as you.

I wonder if the bias there is more out of respect for Northwesterns admirable academics and their coach than their actual results.

Again, that's not a clear cut difference. Northwestern also beat Michigan St. You're trying way too hard here.

I find it ironic when all people here continually say how terrible the B1G is, meanwhile Pitt has lost 5 times in its last 6 meetings vs B1G foes. What's that make the ACC?

Reactions: Hotshoe
I find it ironic when all people here continually say how terrible the B1G is, meanwhile Pitt has lost 5 times in its last 6 meetings vs B1G foes. What's that make the ACC?

Two of the last four national champions were from the ACC and two of the top four teams in the country (as of today) are from the ACC. But those are non-Pitt related facts, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT