ADVERTISEMENT

The Brandin Knight era is starting next season boys!!

Woodall? lmfao

Brandin is the only option if theyre going assistant coach route. They aren't gonna gothis route, yet there's a thread on it every day. I am not sure how people don't want to hire a guy regarded as a top 5-10 assistant who has his name in the rafters but clamor for guys who are MM assistants who don't? It's weird
Woodall is also associate head coach

you clearly have a love affair with Brandin
It’s what you’ve done for over a decade
You blamed his failure to recruit at Pitt on Dixon .
Clearly Dixon isn’t struggling for talent at TCU

There's literally no chance hes on the hot seat anytime soon. There's more of a chance he jumps at a better job than him getting fired. Wake was us and they've greatly improved everything.

He has improved them but he might be 4 years without an NCAA Tournament. It shouldn't take that long in today's college basketball with free agency. For example, if we get a new coach next year, my expectation is the NCAA Tournament because he can bring in 10 transfers.

Woodall is also associate head coach

you clearly have a love affair with Brandin
It’s what you’ve done for over a decade
You blamed his failure to recruit at Pitt on Dixon .
Clearly Dixon isn’t struggling for talent at TCU
I love Tray too. He's a phenomenal dude. He has never recruited at the HM level. It would be a worse hire on paper than Kevin Stallings.

Funny how I blamed BK for his failure to recruit, it's been 8 years, yet my first post was in 2018. Weird just making things up too.

This thread is pointless. Unless they finish 2-18 or worse we are in for another year of Capel. And then Pitt needs to find the best coach they possibly can. They don't need a guy who has Pitt ties. GO FIND A COACH

3-17 and he's gone

4-16 I would say probably

5-15 probably not unless he has a mass exodus and cant be trusted to recruit a new team

I love Tray too. He's a phenomenal dude. He has never recruited at the HM level. It would be a worse hire on paper than Kevin Stallings.

Funny how I blamed BK for his failure to recruit, it's been 8 years, yet my first post was in 2018. Weird just making things up too.
Buddy -
Changing your alias doesn’t change who you are .
You’re not fooling anyone

This thread is pointless. Unless they finish 2-18 or worse we are in for another year of Capel. And then Pitt needs to find the best coach they possibly can. They don't need a guy who has Pitt ties. GO FIND A COACH
The “Pitt man” stuff makes me cringe. Happens on the football board too. Maybe Knight would be a good hire. I’m not qualified to say. But you can’t limit a hiring pool so severely. And what if he doesn’t work out? Who’s the next “Pitt man”? It’s silliness.

1) running a team at a lower level than you're coaching at means nothing. Would Penn State have been better off taking a hot name like Pat Chambers over Micah Shrewsberry three years ago?

2) What exactly did Capel prove anywhere to deserve the Pitt job?
Being "the guy" and reporting to the guy have completely different levels of responsibility.

I get that we're all unhappy with Capel, but at least he had experience running programs before Pitt.

He has improved them but he might be 4 years without an NCAA Tournament. It shouldn't take that long in today's college basketball with free agency. For example, if we get a new coach next year, my expectation is the NCAA Tournament because he can bring in 10 transfers.
Your worst post was in another thread you started. This is the second worst.

Carrington and Lowe are below average ACC guards. And there's a good chance both will transfer even if Capel stays so what exactly was the point of getting them? My point is that we still have the mentality of recruiting HS players, which tie up spots which should be used for transfers. I wouldn’t offer anyone outside the Top 50 with the exception of maybe a hometown kid like Cummings. 23 year old transfers are better than Lowe and Carrington.

Wake may go to the NCAAT and here are their leading scorers:

1. Kevin Miller - averaged 13.5 at Central Michigan
2. Hunter Sallis - averaged 4.5 at Gonzaga
3. Cameron Hildreth - came to Wake as a frosh and a junior now
4. Andrew Carr - averaged 10 at Delaware
5. Efton Reid - averaged 2 at Gonzaga

Okay, but suppose they do stay here next season and the year after. Is there a chance that the #80 guy in the country will be better than the #380 guy in the country three years into each of their developments? I'd say so.

Wake has been doing this transfer thing, yes, but isn't there a pretty distinct ceiling that comes with it for teams like them and us? When they went 25-10 a few years ago, the word of the day was "overachieve." Sure, 25-10 is 25-10... but they weren't that talented and had no chance of doing anything in the tournament if they had gotten in.

This doesn't have to be an either/or thing; there is plenty of room to take 6 or 7 of each -- recruits and transfers. I mean, was the original starting lineup this season not Bub, Leggett (transfer), Austin (transfer), Hinson (transfer), and Fede (transfer)? I just see no reason to deal in absolutes one way or the other.

And these freshmen guards are not the problem. I'm sure they'd look a lot better with a decent team around them.

I don't think it's pointless because Pitt could finish 2-18 or 3-17 or 4-16 and Capel would still have to go.

When Pitt finishes last or near last in the ACC, Heather will have no choice but to fire him and all his terrible assistants.

We need a Pitt man who understands toughness and has been a great asst head coach at Rutgers. It's his time.

The Capel era needs to be mercifully over.
I agree. We have no “right” to think we deserve anyone else but an assistant now. And Brandon is only assistant that we might have long enough to create a level of play for a longer term.

Reactions: PittPoker
Are they not firing him because they want to save a couple million or because they believe he’s the right guy for the job?

Are they not firing him because they want to save a couple million or because they believe he’s the right guy for the job?

Well if the rumors about Heather Lyke disliking NIL because it's cutting into her funding for other sports are true, then you'd have to imagine she would prefer to be frugal with this kind of thing.

Of course the irony is that if you let this staff run the basketball team into the ground any more than they have, then volleyball truly will be the #2 sport at Pitt.

I agree. We have no “right” to think we deserve anyone else but an assistant now. And Brandon is only assistant that we might have long enough to create a level of play for a longer term.

Do actual good programs have assistant coaches. Rutgers is going 2 years in a row without the NCAAT? UConn, Gonzaga, Purdue, Kansas, Baylor? Assistants at Gonzaga and Baylor are winning bigly at their 1st HC jobs. Why do we have to settle for a Rutgers assistant?

Do actual good programs have assistant coaches. Rutgers is going 2 years in a row without the NCAAT? UConn, Gonzaga, Purdue, Kansas, Baylor? Assistants at Gonzaga and Baylor are winning bigly at their 1st HC jobs. Why do we have to settle for a Rutgers assistant?
The only question to ask is whether the assistant you’re hiring has the juice or not. We hired an assistant from one of the best programs in college basketball. The results are what they are. Making the jump from assistant to head coach is hard. Making the jump from low or mid major head coach to high major head coach is hard. Might be just as hard, but in different ways.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
The only question to ask is whether the assistant you’re hiring has the juice or not. We hired an assistant from one of the best programs in college basketball. The results are what they are. Making the jump from assistant to head coach is hard. Making the jump from low or mid major head coach to high major head coach is hard. Might be just as hard, but in different ways.
Yep-
I’d rather take a climber who’s coaching d2 or a LM with a track record of success

My guess is a couple million saved. No inside knowledge or anything, just a hunch. I think the buyout is still around 9 million. I mean no one outside of half of the staff, their families or Vader/Wanstash/JoeyDavid could still think hes the guy. It's been over and Hugley eating himself off the team just saved HL a year or so of money.

I do know, not for a fact but pretty damn close, that NIL money will be withheld to make life a living hell. Maybe he looks for a soft landing if he wants to keep coaching. Or maybe he stays miserable for the next year and rides it out and just collects his money.

Yep-
I’d rather take a climber who’s coaching d2 or a LM with a track record of success
The downside to this is that a coach whose experience is at those levels has not won recruiting battles against the level of competition that we’re talking about here. Can they do it? Maybe. And not saying they aren’t good coaches, but the sharks at this level are just different than the guys you’re going to go against at a low major or D2. It’s an adjustment. I think the appeal to BK (which is similar to the appeal of a lot of high major assistants) is that they’ve been in and have won those sorts of battles. And with Knight, he has gotten two top five recruitments across the finish line at Rutgers. Not Duke or Kansas…Rutgers. Also pushed another top 50 recruitment in Omoruyi across the line. He’s battled the big dogs of the sport and he’s won.

The downside to this is that a coach whose experience is at those levels has not won recruiting battles against the level of competition that we’re talking about here. Can they do it? Maybe. And not saying they aren’t good coaches, but the sharks at this level are just different than the guys you’re going to go against at a low major or D2. It’s an adjustment. I think the appeal to BK (which is similar to the appeal of a lot of high major assistants) is that they’ve been in and have won those sorts of battles. And with Knight, he has gotten two top five recruitments across the finish line at Rutgers. Not Duke or Kansas…Rutgers. Also pushed another top 50 recruitment in Omoruyi across the line. He’s battled the big dogs of the sport and he’s won.
A recruiter who can’t coach isn’t a recipe for success

Give me a high quality HC and let recruiting fall as it may .
BK won battles like Capel won battles - in service of their HC

We saw how much he struggled recruiting here /
We have a REAL track record while at Pitt and it’s not a selling point in favor of him.

Orlando couldn’t land top kids at pitt either and then suddenly he’s the top recruiter at Kentucky .

Anyone want him as our next HC , since he actually has HC experience ?

If he went 2-18? That would mean he's had one winning season in his last 8 years. How could they possibly still believe he's the right guy for the job?

It would definitely be to save a few mil.

I do know, not for a fact but pretty damn close, that NIL money will be withheld to make life a living hell. Maybe he looks for a soft landing if he wants to keep coaching. Or maybe he stays miserable for the next year and rides it out and just collects his money.
This can't be serious. The NIL people (Aliance 412?) are trying to influence who the coach is by allowing better to go elsewhere? If that is true, Pitt basketball is truly screwed.

Boosters trying to influence who the coach is???? No Way!!!
It just makes it even harder to get a new coach knowing that boosters can get them fired. Obviously, it also hurts Pitt in driving players away.

The boosters you speak of apparently aren't deep thinkers.

It just makes it even harder to get a new coach knowing that boosters can get them fired. Obviously, it also hurts Pitt in driving players away.

I don't understand. The boosters are buying out Kenny Payne. Their top targets are Nate Oats, Mick Cronin and Will Wade. The boosters bought out Jimbo Fisher for 76 million and landed a hot coach. That is the whole point of boosters. Buy out bad coaches?

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

This kind of thing is fairly common. There are ways to make life miserable and nudge a coach out the door. Boosters sometimes think creatively to get their message across and get out of paying buyout money.

Boosters at Tennessee flew the football coach to SEC meetings in Destin and made Cuonzo Martin drive 8 hours. They also took away the private jet for recruiting visits. He read the tea leaves and bolted for Cal.

I don't understand. The boosters are buying out Kenny Payne. Their top targets are Nate Oats, Mick Cronin and Will Wade. The boosters bought out Jimbo Fisher for 76 million and landed a hot coach. That is the whole point of boosters. Buy out bad coaches?
Raising money to buy out a coach that the school wants to fire is not the same as boosters withholding players to force a coach out.

My comment about deep thinking stands proven.

This kind of thing is fairly common. There are ways to make life miserable and nudge a coach out the door. Boosters sometimes think creatively to get their message across and get out of paying buyout money.

Boosters at Tennessee flew the football coach to SEC meetings in Destin and made Cuonzo Martin drive 8 hours. They also took away the private jet for recruiting visits. He read the tea leaves and bolted for Cal.
That would seem like a school issue.

Brandon Knight? Just because he went to pitt doesn’t qualify him to be a good coach, carpel’s background is much better than knights, Brandon knight is not the answer, blame pitt, not a basketball top recruit landing spot

Raising money to buy out a coach that the school wants to fire is not the same as boosters withholding players to force a coach out.

My comment about deep thinking stands proven.
They are
Money is influence either way

Buddy -
As someone who admits to never donating -
Sit this one out

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT