ADVERTISEMENT

The Brandin Knight era is starting next season boys!!

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
When Pitt finishes last or near last in the ACC, Heather will have no choice but to fire him and all his terrible assistants.

We need a Pitt man who understands toughness and has been a great asst head coach at Rutgers. It's his time.

The Capel era needs to be mercifully over.

He is technically associate head coach. He was assistant 8 years for Dixon and 6 for Rutgers before being promoted in 2021, at which time they started making two tourneys.

Reactions: PittPoker
When Pitt finishes last or near last in the ACC, Heather will have no choice but to fire him and all his terrible assistants.

We need a Pitt man who understands toughness and has been a great asst head coach at Rutgers. It's his time.

Brandin what is one of the all-time greats. I would really hesitate to hire him because of his inexperience. The only Pitt alumni who is capable of turning this situation around is Sean Miller. And we all know that’s not happening. Pretty sad.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty

Sure hope you are right.

I’d be fine with it, but don’t think it happens.

Ricardo Greer is my pick, if we're going with an alumni.
A guy who has been at a lower level, is older, doesn’t have the name recognition of BK, name isn’t in the rafters and hasn’t recruited the #2/3 players in this year’s class? Hes never even recruited HM players.

It would be one of the worst hires, on paper, in NCAA history. Of course, anything is better than what we currently have.

A guy who has been at a lower level, is older, doesn’t have the name recognition of BK, name isn’t in the rafters and hasn’t recruited the #2/3 players in this year’s class? Hes never even recruited HM players.

It would be one of the worst hires, on paper, in NCAA history. Of course, anything is better than what we currently have.
Would you go with a guy along the lines of Medved or BK?

Would you go with a guy along the lines of Medved or BK?
I’d rather go with an experienced coach. I think it will be damn near impossible for Heather to hire another black guy (just my opinion) especially if he’s an assistant.

And I’m saying that as optics, I don’t care if it’s a 4 foot Asian woman. Hire someone who can win. I still like Ryan Odom although he may not be firey enough. We need a fighter, not a laid back guy

Reactions: rockypanther
I’d rather go with an experienced coach. I think it will be damn near impossible for Heather to hire another black guy (just my opinion) especially if he’s an assistant.

And I’m saying that as optics, I don’t care if it’s a 4 foot Asian woman. Hire someone who can win. I still like Ryan Odom although he may not be firey enough. We need a fighter, not a laid back guy

Huggins
Wade
Odom
Archie Miller 3-0 in the A10. What if they win the A10T?

No
Will get a better job
Possibly
Possibly

Archie comes with risk though as his resume is pretty similar to Capel's having won at a high major (and a place everyone wins at) and then getting fired at a P6. Of he were to run through the A10, maybe that changes things. Seems like he'd be a prime candidate at NC State. Keatts has to be on the way out. I asked you about Cronin in another thread. If Louisville goes in another direction, maybe we could get him. He's a guy who is always looking around.

Archie comes with risk though as his resume is pretty similar to Capel's having won at a high major (and a place everyone wins at) and then getting fired at a P6. Of he were to run through the A10, maybe that changes things. Seems like he'd be a prime candidate at NC State. Keatts has to be on the way out. I asked you about Cronin in another thread. If Louisville goes in another direction, maybe we could get him. He's a guy who is always looking around.
Mick would be perfect but he’s not leaving UCLA for Pitt.

And I would hope the faction of the fan base that hates the Millers would say no to Archie

The question is when do you fire Capel? Does it happen before end of the season?

I never had high expectations for this season, but another bottom three ACC finish has to be it. Three years left on his contract... I mean, any less than that and it probably becomes difficult to recruit high school players (although maybe that's not as important anymore now that transferring at least once is almost expected).

If we don't move on after another awful season, it's a pretty good indication that we just don't care about basketball anymore, which I suppose is possible.

Yeah. I can see it now. Media declares him the next coach. Administration decorates the Pete with Banners and balloons. Calls in the cheerleaders and the pep band. Tables and chairs for the press conference are all set up at the Pete. Everyone shows up. Media is there with all their cameras. Then a nervous buzz fills the air. Everyone waits. But no Archie. Time passes and then word spreads that he signed a contract at NC State. Just like Letter of Intent day in the 90’s.

No thanks.

I never had high expectations for this season, but another bottom three ACC finish has to be it. Three years left on his contract... I mean, any less than that and it probably becomes difficult to recruit high school players (although maybe that's not as important anymore now that transferring at least once is almost expected).

If we don't move on after another awful season, it's a pretty good indication that we just don't care about basketball anymore, which I suppose is possible.
I understand why you’d think it would be difficult to recruit Hs players but they don’t stay anyways! They are on one year contracts too.

That’s why if it were me, I’m AD, I botched the Capel hire and extension. I’m hiring BK on a 3 year deal and and extend him 1 year after year 1 if he’s good and then if he turns it give him long term deal. If he’s not good, you can say hey I wanted to hire someone else, the fan base is the one who wanted BK

Yeah. I can see it now. Media declares him the next coach. Administration decorates the Pete with Banners and balloons. Calls in the cheerleaders and the pep band. Tables and chairs for the press conference are all set up at the Pete. Everyone shows up. Media is there with all their cameras. Then a nervous buzz fills the air. Everyone waits. But no Archie. Time passes and then word spreads that he signed a contract at NC State. Just like Letter of Intent day in the 90’s.

No thanks.
Ding ding ding. I want nothing to do with the Millers. Only win at elite jobs

Probably not but he's a different kind of dude. Does he want to coach in the Big Ten from LA? Maybe that doesn't matter. He left Cincy for UNLV then changed his mind a day later.
He loves LA. His wife loves LA.

He’s leaving for Louisville if Oats, Wade etc turn it down. He’s not choice 1

I understand why you’d think it would be difficult to recruit Hs players but they don’t stay anyways! They are on one year contracts too.

That’s why if it were me, I’m AD, I botched the Capel hire and extension. I’m hiring BK on a 3 year deal and and extend him 1 year after year 1 if he’s good and then if he turns it give him long term deal. If he’s not good, you can say hey I wanted to hire someone else, the fan base is the one who wanted BK

Does the fanbase want BK? Some do. The idea about a 3 year contract is good. The old 4 year contract idea to recruit HS players is old thinking. Everyone is 1 year players who are free agents now. But it would have to be under perfect circumstances:

- bargain basement price
- big-time assistants

Yeah, I hear you. I figure there are at least some who care (didn't Jeffres' dad want some assurances from Capel on that front?), but it probably doesn't matter much overall.

Hiring Knight... man, it feels like that would be risky on both sides. It seems like teams generally do the opposite of what they just had if it didn't work (i.e. an x's and o's guy would be next), but maybe Knight being cheap and having the baked in excuse you mentioned would be appealing.

This would be a positive. We recruit too many HS players as it is.

Okay, and your next post will say you wish we had Hugley and Santos over Fede and Austin.

Need some high school guys, because the more proven guys are the less of a chance we have of getting them. It's the transfers we were counting on who are mostly derailing this season.

Yeah, I hear you. I figure there are at least some who care (didn't Jeffres' dad want some assurances from Capel on that front?), but it probably doesn't matter much overall.

Hiring Knight... man, it feels like that would be risky on both sides. It seems like teams generally do the opposite of what they just had if it didn't work (i.e. an x's and o's guy would be next), but maybe Knight being cheap and having the baked in excuse you mentioned would be appealing.

Is Knight the top assistant in the country? Even if he is solely responsible for the Atlanta kid, he is at a program which has won 1 NCAAT game in 6 years and will be 2 years without the NCAAT. He wouldn't get an interview at any other P6. I think he'd have to have an assurance he'd bring the Atlanta kid with him.

Okay, and your next post will say you wish we had Hugley and Santos over Fede and Austin.

Need some high school guys, because the more proven guys are the less of a chance we have of getting them. It's the transfers we were counting on who are mostly derailing this season.

You cant win with freshmen at a place like Pitt. If they are elite freshmen, we wont get them. If they are good but not great freshmen, they arent going to add wins to your total and there chance of transferring is very high. Its like 75% of all players transfer at least once

You cant win with freshmen at a place like Pitt. If they are elite freshmen, we wont get them. If they are good but not great freshmen, they arent going to add wins to your total and there chance of transferring is very high. Its like 75% of all players transfer at least once

Well if Carrington and Lowe started at any place not named Pitt, there is a 0% chance either would ever be on this roster. As it stands, there is at least a reasonable chance they're here next season and possibly beyond.

I'm not saying we should strive to find our version of the Fab Five, but having some freshmen on the team is absolutely fine.

My list is 2 East Coast/Midwest guys who are strange fits at West Coast schools and one up and comer.

Mick Cronin has always been my home run pick for Pitt coach. He’d fit this program and city like a glove. I know that everyone assumes he’s headed to Louisville but, if that doesn’t happen, I’d be on the phone immediately doing whatever is necessary to make this happen.

Bobby Hurley would be another intriguing fit. He’s not had the success of his brother as a coach, but I always thought it was such a strange fit for him to go out west to a school that just doesn’t have a ton of funding for hoops. Having just had a former Duke star, this probably won’t fly from a narrative perspective but I’d love to see what he does in a job closer to his regional wheelhouse.

Lastly, I’d look very hard at Josh Schertz at Indiana State. He’s not going to win a press conference but the guy has a very impressive resume and has quickly turned around a stagnant ISU program.

My list is 2 East Coast/Midwest guys who are strange fits at West Coast schools and one up and comer.

Mick Cronin has always been my home run pick for Pitt coach. He’d fit this program and city like a glove. I know that everyone assumes he’s headed to Louisville but, if that doesn’t happen, I’d be on the phone immediately doing whatever is necessary to make this happen.

Bobby Hurley would be another intriguing fit. He’s not had the success of his brother as a coach, but I always thought it was such a strange fit for him to go out west to a school that just doesn’t have a ton of funding for hoops. Having just had a former Duke star, this probably won’t fly from a narrative perspective but I’d love to see what he does in a job closer to his regional wheelhouse.

Lastly, I’d look very hard at Josh Schertz at Indiana State. He’s not going to win a press conference but the guy has a very impressive resume and has quickly turned around a stagnant ISU program.
Josh Schertz is a name that would be intriguing because he is a fantastic basketball coach. They'd never hire him though.

Reactions: PantherRama724
Well if Carrington and Lowe started at any place not named Pitt, there is a 0% chance either would ever be on this roster. As it stands, there is at least a reasonable chance they're here next season and possibly beyond.

I'm not saying we should strive to find our version of the Fab Five, but having some freshmen on the team is absolutely fine.

Carrington and Lowe are below average ACC guards. And there's a good chance both will transfer even if Capel stays so what exactly was the point of getting them? My point is that we still have the mentality of recruiting HS players, which tie up spots which should be used for transfers. I wouldn’t offer anyone outside the Top 50 with the exception of maybe a hometown kid like Cummings. 23 year old transfers are better than Lowe and Carrington.

Wake may go to the NCAAT and here are their leading scorers:

1. Kevin Miller - averaged 13.5 at Central Michigan
2. Hunter Sallis - averaged 4.5 at Gonzaga
3. Cameron Hildreth - came to Wake as a frosh and a junior now
4. Andrew Carr - averaged 10 at Delaware
5. Efton Reid - averaged 2 at Gonzaga

I just went back and looked and said how Wake should hire Steve Forbes and it would be the only guy on the list to win there and the SMF gave it a B - hire and i said it was a homerun. Maybe I should choose the next coach

Reactions: rockypanther

Name recognitin ?
You think anyone cares about Brandin ?
Unless Pitt relocated to New Jersey not sure it helps
Woodall is another option

Any AD worth anything doesn't hire a completely unproven head coach for their second most important team because that's what the "fan base" wants. I love BK, and he will forever be remembered for what he did to bring back Pitt basketball. But, please go let him cut his teeth at a lower level of basketball. This "program" can't afford another "wait until next year" coaching hire. I'd be all for him after he proves that he can run his own team.

I just went back and looked and said how Wake should hire Steve Forbes and it would be the only guy on the list to win there and the SMF gave it a B - hire and i said it was a homerun. Maybe I should choose the next coach

Year 4. No NCAA Tournaments yet. On the bubble this year. If he doesn't make it this year, he's on the hot seat so this isnt a great example. Seems like my B- grade was way more accurate. That's pretty much what he's been

Year 4. No NCAA Tournaments yet. On the bubble this year. If he doesn't make it this year, he's on the hot seat so this isnt a great example. Seems like my B- grade was way more accurate. That's pretty much what he's been
There's literally no chance hes on the hot seat anytime soon. There's more of a chance he jumps at a better job than him getting fired. Wake was us and they've greatly improved everything.

Any AD worth anything doesn't hire a completely unproven head coach for their second most important team because that's what the "fan base" wants. I love BK, and he will forever be remembered for what he did to bring back Pitt basketball. But, please go let him cut his teeth at a lower level of basketball. This "program" can't afford another "wait until next year" coaching hire. I'd be all for him after he proves that he can run his own team.
1) running a team at a lower level than you're coaching at means nothing. Would Penn State have been better off taking a hot name like Pat Chambers over Micah Shrewsberry three years ago?

2) What exactly did Capel prove anywhere to deserve the Pitt job?

Reactions: PantherRama724
Name recognitin ?
You think anyone cares about Brandin ?
Unless Pitt relocated to New Jersey not sure it helps
Woodall is another option
Woodall? lmfao

Brandin is the only option if theyre going assistant coach route. They aren't gonna gothis route, yet there's a thread on it every day. I am not sure how people don't want to hire a guy regarded as a top 5-10 assistant who has his name in the rafters but clamor for guys who are MM assistants who don't? It's weird

This thread is pointless. Unless they finish 2-18 or worse we are in for another year of Capel. And then Pitt needs to find the best coach they possibly can. They don't need a guy who has Pitt ties. GO FIND A COACH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT