ADVERTISEMENT

The Constant Chryst Bashing

Team had like 11 seniors on it last year, and there was a similar number of seniors on the 2014 team. it isn't that pitt didn't have high end talent, it just didn't have the depth. That isn't Chryst's fault, that isn't even jagoff todd graham's fault; it is smiley boy's fault for doing such a crappy job hiring coaches.

And Dave Wannstedt came in, took a program that had won 9,8, and 8 games the previous three years and won 5, 6 and 5 in his first three. Many people thought he was the best coach Pitt had since Johnny Majors.

Chryst did fine for what he had to work with. In fact, he did better than what anyone should have expected. Pitt also would have been fine with Chyrst going forward, and left Narduzzi in a MUCH better situation than he inherited.

Anyone that says anything else is simply incapable of breaking down the situation beyond saying "he went 6-6"
Who is lauding Dave Wannstedt? Basically no one. What an idiotic argument you created.

Reactions: PITTLAW
It is absolutely nuts to think dumping Wanny was the right move. I'm on board with Narduzzi and the direction of the program now, and I think he will have more success at Pitt than Wanny. But if you think dumping Wanny when they did to replace him with any of the other coaches that came before Narduzzi, you need help.

I'm not saying Wannstedt was Knute Rockne or that he wasn't a flawed coach, but he was a far better fit here than the other guys and Pitt would have had a much better program had they not booted him for Haywood, Graham, Chryst. Chryst gave Pitt a nice OL. Yippee. Build a statue.

Great point, it's one thing if firing Wanny got us Narduzzi straight away. But the Haywood-Fraud-Chryst-Narduzzi journey was not planned out very well...

Chryst was overall a good coach, and really had our offense playing well and going in the right direction.

The problem with Chryst was he was a so-so recruiter, and of course the defense was very weak.

Let's see where Wisky is ranked after their next 5 games.

Why do you say no way in hell would Pitt beat LSU? LSU would likely beat Pitt, but the way the Tigers offense is playing, they are going to struggle to put even mediocre teams away.

He was a bad bounce away from losing to Georgia State Saturday. He hasn't changed. He is an average coach, but has a great guy above him pulling strings. Good for Wisconsin and good for Chryst.
Bottom line is don;t judge Wisky on LSU and don't judge them against Georgia State. Judge them in mid-November. They have to run the B10 gauntlet this year--OSU, Michigan and MSU--they didn't have to play any of those three heavies last year. One thing is for sure, even though LSU is underachieving, the Badgers have as tough a schedule as anyone in the country this year.

I suspect they go 0-3 against the B10's Big 3, but they might nip either MSU or UM.

Reactions: PITTLAW
Bottom line is don;t judge Wisky on LSU and don't judge them against Georgia State. Judge them in mid-November. They have to run the B10 gauntlet this year--OSU, Michigan and MSU--they didn't have to play any of those three heavies last year. One thing is for sure, even though LSU is underachieving, the Badgers have as tough a schedule as anyone in the country this year.

I suspect they go 0-3 against the B10's Big 3, but they might nip either MSU or UM.
Oh, I agree completely and expect the same.

I mean no one has ever argued that the bowl win in 1989 should count on Mike Gottfried's record instead of Paul Hackett's record, and yet it is the exact same situation.

Probably because nobody talks about those former coaches incessantly. Seriously, why is conversation about coaches from so many coaches ago even relevant or interesting? I realize there is a love of many Yinzers to live in the past, but come on...Pitt has gone through a ton of coaches since Harris and Wannstedt left the program. Would be nice to see people living in the present! If people insist on doing a comparison of the present to the past, I suggest Chryst versus Narduzzi is the only relevant one for football. Hail to Pitt!

This thread is full of truths but people are so dead set in making their case and not accepting of other truths listed.

As for Wanny taking over for Walt. I thought Dave was a great hire, a perfect fit. Local kid, Pitt alum who knew the NFL and could recruit and sell both Pitt and the NFL experience to recruits, and this would have been his last coaching stop and would not have Pitt be a stepping stone to a better job. A Pitt lifer as head coach, finally.

As for Dave’s lack of success his first three years despite having talent he inherited from Walt, and there was talent, Dave’s style of offense wasn’t Walt’s style of offense of pitch and catch. Some coaches are set with their style of offense. I doubt Urban Meyer could take a pass happy offense with an immobile pocket passer and be as successful as he is running his style of offense with a very mobile qb.

However, the truly great coaches adjust to the talent they have but all coaches want to run the style of offense they are most comfortable with.

Wanny would of given Pitt long term coaching stability but I agree his game day coaching left a lot to be desired. For coaches that aren’t great game day coaches, they need to find good coordinators and stay out of their way and let them do their job.

I too thought the players quit on Wanny in the West Virginia game but then at his post-firing press conference so many of them were there in support of him.

Did Wanny underachieve? Sadly yes, especially in a weak football conference. Pitt should have ruled the Big East or at least split dominance with West Virginia especially after Miami and Virginia Tech left for the ACC.

I think a big difference with Narduzzi compared to Chryst is Pitt no longer loses games they used to lose particularly as a favorite. Last year, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Syracuse were games I think we might have lost with Chryst, even Penn State this year. I think the attitude has changed to a more confident, positive one than in years past.

Make no mistake Narduzzi inherited this offensive line from Chryst. Chryst wanted to build the Wisconsin offensive model and it begins up front and then you add great running backs.

Someone wrote Chryst had to learn to become a head coach. Agreed, and he used Pitt as on-the-job training for his next gig. I thought he would have provided stability and integrity but one can’t blame someone for going for their dream job when it becomes available. I don’t begrudge him that.

One has to remember that unless a coach is in his third year he’s playing with his predecessor’s recruits. Wanny getting Harris’, Chryst getting Wanny’s and Graham’s, and Narduzzi getting Chryst’s. So they may not have the type of QB they want and players they want down the line.

We can look back as Pittsburghers surely like to do, and compare things to the past both good and bad, but the needle is pointing upward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT