ADVERTISEMENT

The Duquesne Dukes - Early 1970’s

Pitt5593

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
A different time for sports in Pittsburgh. The Pirates had built a great team around Clemente and Stargell and stocked it with a great farm system. The Steelers were perennial losers but had just drafted Mean Joe Greene and Bradshaw. They were on the cusp. Pitt football was reeling from the Dave Hart era and Pitt basketball was trying to revive a program via a great guy named Buzz Ridl. A real character who never got the publicity he deserved was Gus Krop from Robert Morris who built Robert Morris into a national power in the junior college ranks.

And then there were the Dukes who were probably the most successful team in the area
From 1950 thru the mid 1970’s. In the 1950’s, before my time, many felt that the NIT champion was the king of college basketball. My dad told me how great the Dukes were in that era and that they won the tourney one year and were led a six foot guard named Sihugo Green who was the Michael Jordan of his era.

My first memory of the Dukes was going to a game at the “NEW” Civic Arena to see Willie Somerset in the early 1960’s. Wee Willie, who was a stocky guard and well under six feet, averaged well over twenty for three years on the Bluff. Good player and fun to watch. These teams were competitive in the NIT but never won.

forward to the late 1960s. Red Manning built a team composed mainly of local players that were legitimate top 20 teams. Local Players!! Billy Zoft amd Mickey Davis from Monaca. Jarrett Durham from Aliquippa. The Nelson twins from Fox Chapel. They were independence but played a national schedule. Villanova with Howard Porter. Detroit with Spencer Haywood. Saint Bonaventure with Bob Lanier. The big games are always played on Sunday afternoon at the arena. Boy were those great. Packed cars. Remember we didn’t have a lot of winners in Pittsburgh at that time. The Dukes did a great job. A former cheerleader by the name of Mosie Murphy lead cheers for the Duquesne student section. Absolutely fantastic. Well organized. It was just a great fun time. The Duke‘s won a lot of games And were well-known on the national landscape. Times were changing. The NIT was no longer. Manning retired and the Dukes never recovered. Interestingly enough, Pitt had a great run in the 1970’s with Ridl and LOCAL PLAYERS.

just one more thought. The new Civic Arena. The NBA Philadelphia 76ers played games here with the great Wilt Chamberlain. No one can ever convince me that there has been a better athlete in the NBA than Wilt. He would dominate in today’s game. And a guy who played by the Pittsburgh vipers by the name of Connie Hawkins was very similar to Dr. J. Saw a lot of good basketball back in the day.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I was a Pitt undegrad and then a grad student from 1965-1972. I lived and worked in the area subsequently until 1979 so I remember well what you relate. Mickey Davis later played a few years in the NBA with the Milwaukee Bucks. Pitt under Ridl supplanred the Dukes locally as the better college hoops program in the mid 70s.

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I was a Pitt undegrad and then a grad student from 1965-1972. I lived and worked in the area subsequently until 1979 so I remember well what you reelate. Mickey Davis later played a few years in the NBA with the Milwaukee Bucks. Pitt under Ridl supplanred the Dukes locally as the better college hoops program in the mid 70s.

It was a fun time to be a Pitt fan in both football and hoops beginning around 1974!

Last edited:
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I was a Pitt undegrad and then a grad student from 1965-1972. I lived and worked in the area subsequently until 1979 so I remember well what you reelate. Mickey Davis later played a few years in the NBA with the Milwaukee Bucks. Pitt under Ridl supplanred the Dukes locally as the better college hoops program in the mid 70s.
The retirement of Red Manning ended the Dukes run . John Cinicola , who taught me how to swim , took over and the program was never the same .

Ernie Degregorio and Marvin Barnes from Providence. Joe Bryant from St. Joe’s. Jim Boeheim from the C’use.

Gary Major played with the Nelson twins.

There were quite a few Sunday’s when we would go to church and then head to the Civic Arena to watch Duquesne. Bill Zopf was the next door neighbor of my Grandparents in Monaca. One day we were visiting and I had my basketball and went next door and knocked on the Zopf’s door and Mrs. Zopf answered and I asked if Billy could come out and play. She told me that he was busy studying but maybe later....never happened. I was big timed by Bill Zopf. :) Wanted to be a point guard just like him.

A different time for sports in Pittsburgh. The Pirates had built a great team around Clemente and Stargell and stocked it with a great farm system. The Steelers were perennial losers but had just drafted Mean Joe Greene and Bradshaw. They were on the cusp. Pitt football was reeling from the Dave Hart era and Pitt basketball was trying to revive a program via a great guy named Buzz Ridl. A real character who never got the publicity he deserved was Gus Krop from Robert Morris who built Robert Morris into a national power in the junior college ranks.

And then there were the Dukes who were probably the most successful team in the area
From 1950 thru the mid 1970’s. In the 1950’s, before my time, many felt that the NIT champion was the king of college basketball. My dad told me how great the Dukes were in that era and that they won the tourney one year and were led a six foot guard named Sihugo Green who was the Michael Jordan of his era.

My first memory of the Dukes was going to a game at the “NEW” Civic Arena to see Willie Somerset in the early 1960’s. Wee Willie, who was a stocky guard and well under six feet, averaged well over twenty for three years on the Bluff. Good player and fun to watch. These teams were competitive in the NIT but never won.

forward to the late 1960s. Red Manning built a team composed mainly of local players that were legitimate top 20 teams. Local Players!! Billy Zoft amd Mickey Davis from Monaca. Jarrett Durham from Aliquippa. The Nelson twins from Fox Chapel. They were independence but played a national schedule. Villanova with Howard Porter. Detroit with Spencer Haywood. Saint Bonaventure with Bob Lanier. The big games are always played on Sunday afternoon at the arena. Boy were those great. Packed cars. Remember we didn’t have a lot of winners in Pittsburgh at that time. The Dukes did a great job. A former cheerleader by the name of Mosie Murphy lead cheers for the Duquesne student section. Absolutely fantastic. Well organized. It was just a great fun time. The Duke‘s won a lot of games And were well-known on the national landscape. Times were changing. The NIT was no longer. Manning retired and the Dukes never recovered. Interestingly enough, Pitt had a great run in the 1970’s with Ridl and LOCAL PLAYERS.

just one more thought. The new Civic Arena. The NBA Philadelphia 76ers played games here with the great Wilt Chamberlain. No one can ever convince me that there has been a better athlete in the NBA than Wilt. He would dominate in today’s game. And a guy who played by the Pittsburgh vipers by the name of Connie Hawkins was very similar to Dr. J. Saw a lot of good basketball back in the day.
Red Manning was 247-138, 64.2% in 16 years. Twice ended the season ranked in the Top 20, and made NCAA Tournament 2 times!

The fact that both Pitt and the Dukes could have Top 10 teams made up of local players back then tells you all you need to know about why Duquesne became a non factor, and why it is tough to win at Pitt. What Dixon did here was beyond amazing. I doubt that RMU could compete in the Horizon using just local players.

If my memories are correct ...that Duke team with the Nelsons and Gary Major and Mickey Davis were the tallest average roster in basketball at the time (69-71) .... in any event those were exciting times for college basketball ... the arena was always packed and electric and the level of competition was wonderful and exciting...

If my memories are correct ...that Duke team with the Nelsons and Gary Major and Mickey Davis were the tallest average roster in basketball at the time (69-71) .... in any event those were exciting times for college basketball ... the arena was always packed and electric and the level of competition was wonderful and exciting...
Those 3 players were 6'10" and the guards were 6'3" and 6'5"! https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duquesne/1971.html

There were quite a few Sunday’s when we would go to church and then head to the Civic Arena to watch Duquesne. Bill Zopf was the next door neighbor of my Grandparents in Monaca. One day we were visiting and I had my basketball and went next door and knocked on the Zopf’s door and Mrs. Zopf answered and I asked if Billy could come out and play. She told me that he was busy studying but maybe later....never happened. I was big timed by Bill Zopf. :) Wanted to be a point guard just like him.
Taking about the CA brings back memories of my dad taking me down there to see the Condors/Pipins play when I was little . With the Dukes and players like Connie Hawkins and John Brisker playing for the P/C there was a lot of good bb in the CA . Not to mention the Roundball Classic . In those days Pitt was just an afterthought .

This will never happen again:

A younger assistant, Tim Grgurich (Pitt coaches seem to have dropped their vowels somewhere), does most of the recruiting; he does not have far to go. Nine of the first 11 Panthers are from the Pittsburgh area, and from a point on Mount Washington across the river one can see the homes of six players, including all five starters.

For some time Pittsburgh has been a fountainhead of infant talent and the home of the nation's best high school all-star game, the Dapper Dan Roundball Classic. But it used to be that if local kids stayed home they went to Duquesne. Beginning with Knight and Martin four years ago, that changed. Conversely, Pitt's grave weakness—the lack of a center—is the direct result of the Panthers having lost Maurice Lucas to Marquette. Lucas was from Schenley High, which can be seen without going to the mountain; it is across the street from the Pitt campus.

Reactions: Alabama_Dreaming
For one thing, just in the city limits, we are down to like 80,000 children from a peak of 240,000. But also local basketball isn't very good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT