ADVERTISEMENT

The Jets just clearly threw their game

President Stache

Heisman Candidate
Dec 4, 2010
End of the game they single covered the outside receivers on three straight plays up and the only way the raiders could win is a Hail Mary
Single covered all three receivers.

If they are looking to get the #1 pick, they are playing very smart.

Not at all, their pass defense is just that bad. You don’t fight as hard as they did all game only to “throw it” on the last play. What do you think they got the word from someone to make the big comeback so it looked good then tank at the end? If they were good enough to manipulate games that way they wouldn’t be winless.

Lawrence needs to pull an Eli and threaten to stay in school if the jets draft him. I’d do anything to avoid going to that abortion if a franchise.

Not at all, their pass defense is just that bad. You don’t fight as hard as they did all game only to “throw it” on the last play. What do you think they got the word from someone to make the big comeback so it looked good then tank at the end? If they were good enough to manipulate games that way they wouldn’t be winless.

That’s a fair point but I don’t think I’ve ever seen coverage like that in the last seconds of a game where a TD is needed.

That’s the way I see it as well. The front office may prefer them to lose out and secure the first pick, but the locker room is fighting to keep their jobs; Lawrence is likely the last thing on their mind.

As for the final seconds of the LV-NYJ game, that’s just Gase’s incompetence.

That’s a fair point but I don’t think I’ve ever seen coverage like that in the last seconds of a game where a TD is needed.

People always think teams are tanking when things like that happen, forgetting there’s a reason those teams are so bad in the first place.

Ive seen teams somewhat tank before, and this game bore no resemblance to that in any way. The Jets could’ve easily eased off when they were down double digits in the second half but they fought hard and came back to take the lead.

Players themselves never ever tank, they want no part of losing and especially being part of a winless season. That sort of shenanigans comes from management and they do it by who they put out on the field.

Does anyone really believe that after coming from behind someone called down and said “let the Raiders score at the end”? Not only is that really stupid, but disgruntled players would let word of that leak about 2 seconds after the game was over.

Last edited:
That’s the way I see it as well. The front office may prefer them to lose out and secure the first pick, but the locker room is fighting to keep their jobs; Lawrence is likely the last thing on their mind.

As for the final seconds of the LV-NYJ game, that’s just Gase’s incompetence.

This is 100% accurate.

People always think teams are tanking when things like that happen, forgetting there’s a reason those teams are so bad in the first place.

Ive seen teams somewhat tank before, and this game bore no resemblance to that in any way. The Jets could’ve easily eased off when they were down double digits in the second half but they fought hard and came back to take the lead.

Players themselves never ever tank, they want no part of losing and especially being part of a winless season. That sort of shenanigans comes from management and they do it by who they put out on the field.

Does anyone really believe that after coming from behind someone called down and said “let the Raiders score at the end”? Not only is that really stupid disgruntled players would let word of that leak about 2 seconds after the game was over.

Oh I’m not saying they did. I guess I should have added that in the heat of the moment so to speak I can understand why someone might cast a suspicious eye.

That coaching staff is gone so they’re not gonna benefit by getting Lawrence.

Reactions: BFo8
I’m just glad LV pulled it out. I have a 4 team Parlay and teased the number down to Raiders -2.5.

Hopefully they play hard for their fantasy owners. Darren Waller for LV just got me 45 points from the TE position.

Hopefully they play hard for their fantasy owners. Darren Waller for LV just got me 45 points from the TE position.

He is probably the most unknown star in the league. Great TE that goes along almost unnoticed.

I think Williams' approach was to make Carr throw it sooner than Hail Mary's allow. Carr stepped up and Ruggs got deep. You can rush six and still have proper deep coverage

And if you're going to lose on purpose you don't do it when everyone is watching

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think Williams' approach was to make Carr throw it sooner than Hail Mary's allow. Carr stepped up and Ruggs got deep. You can rush six and still have proper deep coverage

And if you're going to lose on purpose you don't do it when everyone is watching
I think this is correct. You also have to consider the fact that they likely didn’t want to play too far back because the Raiders were at midfield and only down three; a 10-12 yard gain and a potential game-tying field goal was not out of the equation.

The league has to want Lawrence in New York. Lawrence is a much higher level prospect than Darnold. They're going to make sure the Jets have a competent staff in place.

The pens deliberately tanked to get Lemeiux fact look it up

Management most certainly did. The players didn't.

Which is the way that it always works. Those players are fighting for a job next year. If they play like crap there's a much better chance that they won't have a job anymore. And players want to have jobs. If you ask a player if they would rather their team tank all year and get a great draft pick but they lose their job or they don't get the big draft pick but they have a job the next season every player in the world is going to look at you like you have two heads for asking such a dumb question.

Well wvu needed a field goal so I guess you have a point.

I would imagine a scenario exists somewhere that someone may dig up. But the point remains that it’s incredibly stupid to play that type of D. Add in the tweet above saying there was a spy. On a guy that’s not much of a threat to run to begin with. Not that it would matter if it was Steve Young or Mike Vick in their primes. It’s one of the dumbest coaching decisions/play calls ever.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

?????????

What are you talking about?

I would imagine a scenario exists somewhere that someone may dig up. But the point remains that it’s incredibly stupid to play that type of D. Add in the tweet above saying there was a spy. On a guy that’s not much of a threat to run to begin with. Not that it would matter if it was Steve Young or Mike Vick in their primes. It’s one of the dumbest coaching decisions/play calls ever.
A spy on a Hail Mary does not make sense. I won’t disagree. This will cost someone their job.

Damn, thats amazing. They played defense hard all game then were somehow “directed” to lose it on the final play? That’s putting a lot of faith in Derek Carr to avoid the rush, make that throw, then have Riggs make the catch.

Whoever made that call almost waited too long to call the fix in.

When I read that tweet my interpretation was this. The suits saw an opportunity to lose the game and the call was made.

Conspiracy, looney, batsh** crazy? Maybe. I have zero clue.

But that’s how I took it.

Management most certainly did. The players didn't.

Which is the way that it always works. Those players are fighting for a job next year. If they play like crap there's a much better chance that they won't have a job anymore. And players want to have jobs. If you ask a player if they would rather their team tank all year and get a great draft pick but they lose their job or they don't get the big draft pick but they have a job the next season every player in the world is going to look at you like you have two heads for asking such a dumb question.

Actually I think Gruden tried to tank the game right back to the Jets for his own nefarious reasons.

Up 2 with 5 seconds left he elects to kick the extra point, even though the Jets best chance to win the game is probably to block the kick and return it the other way. The play there is to simply snap the ball and kneel on it so you don’t risk a block.

Since that didn’t work the Raiders then somehow basically onside kicked the ball to midfield enabling the Jets to get one last legitimate shot at the end zone. All they had to do was pooch it and that would’ve been the last play of the game.

Gruden tried his hardest after the touchdown, but just couldn’t give the game back to the Jets.

This happens a lot.

Did the actual players throw the game? Of course not. Do I think front offices don’t pay huge bonuses to make sure meaningless games are lost to get better picks? Absolutely. That’s the whole reason the NBA put in the lottery.

I think it’s foolish to think it didn’t happen. 5 seconds left, up by 4 points and ALL 11 defenders are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, no deep and ALL 3 receivers are man coverage with no safety help. Come on, that never happens. Do I think the players call the plays? No. Do I think the Jets QB is throwing the game so they can draft his replacement? No, of course not. So mentioning the game wasn’t thrown because they came back is asinine.

Before my time by a tad bit I think they brought up a backup goalie from the minor leagues to help their cause to get Mario.

I don’t think anyone will debate that the penguins tried to lose that game. And of course it paid off royally. Probably a big reason why a lot of sports have changed up their rules on who gets first pick in draft.

Other than being a fanboy for Pitt athletics you know next to zero about sports.

By the way, for further proof of your absolute dumbassery, you are calling someone a fan boy WHILE POSTING ON A FAN SITE!!

It doesn’t get any better than that.

I think it’s foolish to think it didn’t happen. 5 seconds left, up by 4 points and ALL 11 defenders are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, no deep and ALL 3 receivers are man coverage with no safety help. Come on, that never happens. Do I think the players call the plays? No. Do I think the Jets QB is throwing the game so they can draft his replacement? No, of course not. So mentioning the game wasn’t thrown because they came back is asinine.

Well first of all there were 19 seconds left when the play started, not 5. Secondly, it was 3rd down so with 19 seconds left they had to at least be thinking that the Raiders were going to try to get the 1st down on that play. Third, the play was NOT a hail Mary by any stretch of what that term means. Fourth, when teams in that situation sit back and let the other team complete passes down the field people bitch that they are too passive. The Jets rushed with SEVEN guys. They were doing the opposite of a prevent, which is what most fans seems to want.

Until it doesn't work.

Well first of all there were 19 seconds left when the play started, not 5. Secondly, it was 3rd down so with 19 seconds left they had to at least be thinking that the Raiders were going to try to get the 1st down on that play. Third, the play was NOT a hail Mary by any stretch of what that term means. Fourth, when teams in that situation sit back and let the other team complete passes down the field people bitch that they are too passive. The Jets rushed with SEVEN guys. They were doing the opposite of a prevent, which is what most fans seems to want.

Until it doesn't work.

Stache is a little loose with the facts at times.

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker

Until it doesn't work.

I have no idea what to tell you. If you feel that was the correct defense for that play... or if you ever seen that defense in that situation then I don’t know what to say.

Nearly always you play 2 deep coverage, and in that situation, 3 deep. I don’t know

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT