ADVERTISEMENT

The Jets just clearly threw their game

I have no idea what to tell you. If you feel that was the correct defense for that play... or if you ever seen that defense in that situation then I don’t know what to say.

Nearly always you play 2 deep coverage, and in that situation, 3 deep. I don’t know

Well I'm not saying I agree with the call. What I am saying is that I hear fans all the time, at games, on this board, everywhere, bitch when their team plays a prevent defense late when they have the lead. Well, the Jets didn't play prevent. They came with an all out blitz. And it didn't work.

As usual you’re wrong

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3851486001

Loose with the facts was the other guy. You can clearly see it was a complete Hail Mary firing as deep as he can with single coverage with 5 seconds left at the end. Play stayed at 13 seconds with the raiders having no timeouts

Narduzzi could make a poopie on your lawn and you wouldn’t even make him clean it up.

I can maybe see that with a decent coach, but downright sad with a guy that’s 36-34 against FBS opponents.

Not at all, their pass defense is just that bad. You don’t fight as hard as they did all game only to “throw it” on the last play. What do you think they got the word from someone to make the big comeback so it looked good then tank at the end? If they were good enough to manipulate games that way they wouldn’t be winless.

Right, they had all game to lose. Why would they wait until the last play?

They just stink.

This is the kind of conspiracy theory I would expect to hear at the lunch table at a junior high. Kind of incredible grown men buy into it.

I think it was just a dumb move - cover zero in that spot.

If they were really looking to throw it, they really did a bad job of it for 59 minutes
Plus, 2 of the 3 db's in man coverage were rookies. Dumb is too kind.

End of the game they single covered the outside receivers on three straight plays up and the only way the raiders could win is a Hail Mary
Single covered all three receivers.
Denorse Moseley is back! Looked like the same play on the opposite side. Why would you do anything but drop 8 guys deep.

If you think that was a hail Mary then you don't know what that term means.

Again, I don’t know what to tell you. When a team snaps theball with 13 seconds and no time outs, and they need a td from midfield and you think what normally happens is a dink and dunk Then you don’t know what football is.

I consider a QB throwing up a prayer as high and far as he can at the end of the game a Hail Mary. That’s pretty much the definition????? I respectfully will call you wrong

Reactions: wbrpanther
If you think that was a hail Mary then you don't know what that term means.
Again, I don’t know what to tell you. When a team snaps theball with 13 seconds and no time outs, and they need a td from midfield and you think what normally happens is a dink and dunk Then you don’t know what football is.

I consider a QB throwing up a prayer as high and far as he can at the end of the game a Hail Mary. That’s pretty much the definition????? I respectfully will call you wrong
I would tend to agree. Sure looked like Carr was setting up for a Hail Mary heave.

only reason why you wouldn’t call it a Hail Mary was because the Jets defense was so incredibly stupid, or intentionally stupid, that Carr ended up having an open streaking receiver to throw it to instead of the typical jump ball into a crowd.

I could possibly believe the jets HC did this on person if he had a chance in hell of being the coach next year but he doesn’t so why throw a game for a coach who will be replacing you?

Hail Marys are heaved up into a crowd with a prayer someone will catch it. Ruggs beat his man like a drum and Carr threw a dime.

Hail Marys are heaved up into a crowd with a prayer someone will catch it. Ruggs beat his man like a drum and Carr threw a dime.
Can we compromise on this just like politicians do all the time.

That play sure looked like it was full well intended by Carr and the Raiders to be a Hail Mary.

Only reason why the end result may not exactly qualify as a Hail Mary was because of the incredibly stupid Jets defense.

Yes, it is thrown into a crowd, in the end zone, with little chance of completion - a desperation pass. And it is the last play before the half or end of the game. This play was 3rd down, with 13 seconds left, and was thrown to a receiver who was in man coverage. It does not meet the definition in any way, other than being a deep throw.

Can we compromise on this just like politicians do all the time.

That play sure looked like it was full well intended by Carr and the Raiders to be a Hail Mary.

Only reason why the end result may not exactly qualify as a Hail Mary was because of the incredibly stupid Jets defense.

I would imagine that when the Raiders went to the line of scrimmage their intent may have been to run a Hail Mary and take 2 shots at it. Carr does have a big arm. But that changed when they saw the D. Ruggs beat his 1 on 1 coverage and Carr threw a beauty and hit him in stride. Hail Marys have guys camped out and others looking for tips.

I would imagine that when the Raiders went to the line of scrimmage their intent may have been to run a Hail Mary and take 2 shots at it. Carr does have a big arm. But that changed when they saw the D. Ruggs beat his 1 on 1 coverage and Carr threw a beauty and hit him in stride. Hail Marys have guys camped out and others looking for tips.
Sounds like we said the same thing.

Exactly. The other thing is that if it was a Hail Mary then all Ruggs does is run as fast as he can to the end zone. But that's not what he did. He put an inside move on the guy covering him and the guy bit on it, and then he blew past him on the outside. You don't do that on a Hail Mary, because it wastes time that you don't have.

Exactly. The other thing is that if it was a Hail Mary then all Ruggs does is run as fast as he can to the end zone. But that's not what he did. He put an inside move on the guy covering him and the guy bit on it, and then he blew past him on the outside. You don't do that on a Hail Mary, because it wastes time that you don't have.
You don’t have to do that because 99.999% of the time the DBs are 40 yards off line of scrimmage.

There’s a reason why the Jets haven’t won a game and their coaches are going to be fired.

I’m anxious to hear the coaches try and justify this call. I honestly can’t think of any reason whatsoever to play this defense.

You don’t have to do that because 99.999% of the time the DBs are 40 yards off line of scrimmage.

You don't have to because if you are running a Hail Mary no one will ever bite on a fake that will gain you 15 or 20 yards. When you aren't running a Hail Mary you do things like that all the time.

On the other hand, when it is 3rd down and you are going to have enough time to run at least one more play people try to put moves on the DBs all the time.

If you need any more evidence that it WASN'T a Hail Mary, this is from Henry Ruggs himself:

“We knew we needed a play and Coach dialed up the double move,” Ruggs said. “I see that it’s there and I got the (cornerback) to flip his hips and it felt like the ball was in the air forever.”

Note, coach did not dial up a Hail Mary. He dialed up a double move. Which is not what you run when you are throwing a Hail Mary.

Jaguars are even worse at No. 2.

***Gregg Williams

Yeah I don't know which is worse. Both have been quarterback graveyards over the last decade, though both should have new staffs after this season. I'd much rather live in Jacksonville myself.

The pens deliberately tanked to get Lemeiux fact look it up
And if I recall correctly, Mario threatened to not put on the Pens jersey on draft day if picked by the Pens. Eddie Johnston made the pick, in French, and the rest is history. The Jets will pick Lawrence no matter what he says. To not pick him will make them a bigger laughingstock than they already are. He will be made the highest paid rookie ever.

There is speculation that Williams, the DC, bet on the outcome of the game.

edit: The Jets just fired him. He paid players to maim opponents at the Saints, then led the Rams to a 4-12 season, he led the Browns defense to 0-16 a few years ago, now he is involved in this and a winless Jets

Last edited:
Gonna go out in limb and say he took the raiders. Should have bet on his own team to win outright and took the money line. He’d have gotten great value.

That play reminded me of the one last year on MNF where the Dolphins seemingly "allowed" the Steelers to score right before half time. At the time, the Dolphins were the laughingstock of the NFL and presumed to be in line for the #1 pick. In either case, the defense called was curious, to say the least.

In defense of yesterday's game, there was too much time left to be thinking Hail Mary there, and the offense did not line up in a typical Hail Mary set, where there are several WRs on one side of the field. Given 13 seconds, the more likely expectation was an out route to pick up 10-20 yards and shorten the field. The Cardinal Sin was the CB biting on the shorter pass fake. You have to give him that break and then see if you can get there and defend the pass or wrap up the WR. If he catches it, he catches it. You can't bite on that and allow the WR to get by you.

On a final note, breaking news has Gregg Williams fired this morning.

That play reminded me of the one last year on MNF where the Dolphins seemingly "allowed" the Steelers to score right before half time. At the time, the Dolphins were the laughingstock of the NFL and presumed to be in line for the #1 pick. In either case, the defense called was curious, to say the least.

Bob Pompeani just mentioned the play in the Miami game as a similar screw up.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
In other news, apparently Bill Cowher is interested in the Jets’ coaching job. Boomer Esiason floated it on his radio show this morning. I actually I think if he were to get back into coaching, this would be the time and the team.

The original Hail Mary, Staubach to Pearson, was one guy going deep and hoping fo

Then he is even a worse game-fixer than coach

The line was much higher. He would have tanked throughout the game if that were true and not just at the end. They showed old clips of him making similar calls at the end of the game with other teams. It is just a bad strategy.

Last edited:
In other news, apparently Bill Cowher is interested in the Jets’ coaching job. Boomer Esiason floated it on his radio show this morning. I actually I think if he were to get back into coaching, this would be the time and the team.

I heard that too. I’d read some things over the years that if he did come back it would have to be a team with a good QB. If so I guess he thinks Lawrence is the goods and is banking on the Jets getting him. I just don’t see him leaving that cushy job for the NFL grind unless he’s convinced he has the QB needed. And I don’t blame him.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I heard that too. I’d read some things over the years that if he did come back it would have to be a team with a good QB. If so I guess he thinks Lawrence is the goods and is banking on the Jets getting him. I just don’t see him leaving that cushy job for the NFL grind unless he’s convinced he has the QB needed. And I don’t blame him.
Agreed. There’s a few other reasons why I think it’s a better fit now than anytime before. Obviously him living in New York helps, but what does he have to lose now that he’s enshrined in the HOF? He doesn’t have to worry about tarnishing his legacy if things go sideways.

It also helps that they have some other young pieces in place and the GM they have is pretty respected. Gruden even showed him that it can be done. Couple all of that with the fact that the AFC East is as up for grabs as it’s been in a long time, and I think it starts to make sense.

Having gone back and rewatched the video, it was a horrible call to put the defense in that alignment, but the CB totally screwed that up by biting on a fake to the inside. If Ruggs wants to catch a ball over the middle the game is over unless he breaks a tackle (or 2 or 3) and scores. The CB was also playing too close, although that may be part of the scheme. You have to give him a 4-5 yard cushion and allow the underneath pass completion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT