ADVERTISEMENT

The PC needs to be imploded

tetonpanther

Freshman
Sep 26, 2005
and start over . The event last night was strictly for the wine and cheese crowd. Damn so little pitt gear even though the invite said wear your pitt gear. Too many aging fossils

Pitt’s entire marketing gears to the wine and cheese crowd. Has for decades. Just keep those big donors happy. Forget the unwashed riffraff.

Reactions: 76champ
In fairness Pitt needs to cater to the biggest donors possible. When we go to the Big Ten we will need to compete.
Big donors aka boosters, are of course the true life blood, not the jerky boys on this board that give their 25 bucks to PC each year and then puff their chests out In threads like this.

The big donors HAVE to be warmly courted and embraced, despite the likelihood that Pitt hates doing so (those big money types are usually Type A capitalists, y’know).

The problem, as it always has, is Pitt is happy for “big donors” to donate, but not to want, or especially to DEMAND that the money go to football. PITT knows best where that money should go…and mostly never is that football. And NEVER to procure the most vital element: great players! “Give up, then shut up.”

That of course doesn’t lend itself to generosity from donors! And why should it? You’re a booster; over the years you offer up significant sums; you want at least some of that channeled into the main reason (let’s face it) that you give: football wins. Pitt is happy to take your check, but the money is channeled into seemingly everything BUT that. You press the issue, they let you know in no uncertain terms that you aren’t welcome. Sound crazy? That’s exactly how boosters are regularly treated by Pitt since the 80s.

Big donors aka boosters, are of course the true life blood, not the jerky boys on this board that give their 25 bucks to PC each year and then puff their chests out In threads like this.

The big donors HAVE to be warmly courted and embraced, despite the likelihood that Pitt hates doing so (those big money types are usually Type A capitalists, y’know).

The problem, as it always has, is Pitt is happy for “big donors” to donate, but not to want, or especially to DEMAND that the money go to football. PITT knows best where that money should go…and mostly never is that football. And NEVER to procure the most vital element: great players! “Give up, then shut up.”

That of course doesn’t lend itself to generosity from donors! And why should it? You’re a booster; over the years you offer up significant sums; you want at least some of that channeled into the main reason (let’s face it) that you give: football wins. Pitt is happy to take your check, but the money is channeled into seemingly everything BUT that. You press the issue, they let you know in no uncertain terms that you aren’t welcome. Sound crazy? That’s exactly how boosters are regularly treated by Pitt since the 80s.
Does Alliance412 change that at all? I spoke to the “Manager” of it and sort of got a conflicting answer on whether I should donate to 412 or directly to Pitt. I am guessing he couldn’t specifically say but 412 probably helps football more.

In fairness Pitt needs to cater to the biggest donors possible. When we go to the Big Ten we will need to compete.
Of course. But the university could adopt more of an “every fan counts” attitude. Penn State has done that historically. “There ‘s always room for one more” in the Nitter club. You want fans to feel like they belong.

Reactions: TD_6082
Does Alliance412 change that at all? I spoke to the “Manager” of it and sort of got a conflicting answer on whether I should donate to 412 or directly to Pitt. I am guessing he couldn’t specifically say but 412 probably helps football more.
Honestly, any NIL that has Pitt essentially operating things behind the scenes is going to be very limited in effectiveness. But it would seem better than the AD.

Of course. But the university could adopt more of an “every fan counts” attitude. Penn State has done that historically. “There ‘s always room for one more” in the Nitter club. You want fans to feel like they belong.
I’m not saying that this is for better or worse, but given the numbers, Nit grads and fans seem to be more likely to earmark their donations toward athletics, but Pitt grads and fans send their donations for non-athletic endeavors.

Case in point: the size of the endowments of the two universities is quite similar. But when one takes into account and compares the numbers of students (and alumni) of the two schools, the size of the Nits’ endowment should be much, much greater than Pitt’s. Given the number of graduates that PSU launches into the world, their endowment is rather disappointing.

You guys do know you can earmark a donation via Pitt to the sport of your choice?

Wow, I wasn’t aware that it was that bad. If I gave them 1 mil and got a snotty attitude that would be the last they saw of my money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT