ADVERTISEMENT

The Pineapple Express, LIV, Pebble Beach and the PGA Tour

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
So like most golf fans I eagerly awaited this past weekend the PGA event at Pebble Beach. Though it was a "signature event" meaning all of the top PGA tour guys would be there, it was obviously the glaring hole that the LIV tour had and is having on the PGA Tour. No Rahm. No Cam Smith. No. Koepka. No DJ. No Mickelson smiling and fraudulently giving thumbs up to spectators. No Sergio, etc...

Then as a weather enthusiast, looking at the forecast, I was envisioning Sunday's finale in the same realm as I did the Sunday game scheduled at Buffalo with the Steelers. There is no way they are going to be able to play. And of course they didnt. And I figured it would be bad enough to end at 54 holes. And it was.

So it was a beautiful day, good day to do some chores, clean out the garage. So finally later in the afternoon I sat down and no Pebble Beach to watch. So I turned on the LIV tour. I have turned it on a few times last year, never getting past 5-6 minutes. I started watching and just though "what the bleep, this is absolutely dogshit". I mean the gap between say the USFL and NFL is like the Allegheny River as compared to the Pacific Ocean gap between the PGA Tour and LIV. It is utter shite. Garbage. Ridiculous. So bear with us folks, as money and the networks try and destroy college sports, the Saudis and Greg Norman are doing the same to golf.

There eventually has to be a tipping point somewhere. At some point, people are going to turn their backs. What garbage...I mean the LIV is like some dudes who are high decided to make up some backyard course, I am just waiting for the clown's mouth and windmill. And I mentioned in my post (disappointed that it has yet to be picked up by Message Board Geniuses) but there is absolutely no ROI on the LIV tour. They are just spending millions to sabotage the PGA tour.

It was a lousy production sporting event. The lack of camera angles and that crap on the left side of the screen with the team scores was hideous. Sergio looked like a guy who was playing in the 9 hole company beer league. Correct in that there is no return on investment. Watching it for 20 minutes was all I good take. Especially seeing Koepka. He was as important to pga viewership as any other pro. Sorry he left Phil on the other hand is a douche bag

So like most golf fans I eagerly awaited this past weekend the PGA event at Pebble Beach. Though it was a "signature event" meaning all of the top PGA tour guys would be there, it was obviously the glaring hole that the LIV tour had and is having on the PGA Tour. No Rahm. No Cam Smith. No. Koepka. No DJ. No Mickelson smiling and fraudulently giving thumbs up to spectators. No Sergio, etc...

Then as a weather enthusiast, looking at the forecast, I was envisioning Sunday's finale in the same realm as I did the Sunday game scheduled at Buffalo with the Steelers. There is no way they are going to be able to play. And of course they didnt. And I figured it would be bad enough to end at 54 holes. And it was.

So it was a beautiful day, good day to do some chores, clean out the garage. So finally later in the afternoon I sat down and no Pebble Beach to watch. So I turned on the LIV tour. I have turned it on a few times last year, never getting past 5-6 minutes. I started watching and just though "what the bleep, this is absolutely dogshit". I mean the gap between say the USFL and NFL is like the Allegheny River as compared to the Pacific Ocean gap between the PGA Tour and LIV. It is utter shite. Garbage. Ridiculous. So bear with us folks, as money and the networks try and destroy college sports, the Saudis and Greg Norman are doing the same to golf.

There eventually has to be a tipping point somewhere. At some point, people are going to turn their backs. What garbage...I mean the LIV is like some dudes who are high decided to make up some backyard course, I am just waiting for the clown's mouth and windmill. And I mentioned in my post (disappointed that it has yet to be picked up by Message Board Geniuses) but there is absolutely no ROI on the LIV tour. They are just spending millions to sabotage the PGA tour.
i was passionately rooting for the LIV, mainly because i am a huge Phil fan and got tired of seeing rory cry every single day about the travesty of the liv.. i mean, STFU already...

but with all that said, i can honestly say that the LIV format is painful. just bad. but as we all know, the saudi money is endless and it's not about making money..

I sent this to a friend yesterday. LIV to me is unwatchable. The stupid uniforms for the teams. The loud music.
Pro golfers in shorts. And an obnoxious amount of salary. No incentive to win.
Very sad PB got rained out.

weather enthusiast

patriot-storm.gif

I like watching competition. LIV golfers have very little incentive to compete. Good for them that they can make a few $100m playing golf with about as much intensity as I play with, I just don't care to watch.

They complain about not getting world ranking points, but they joined a tour that has not made any attempt to structure itself according to the guidelines to be eligible for world ranking points. I think a handful of them think they are past the point of winning any more majors, and the rest just don't care enough with all the money they are getting. Rahm is the only one who surprised me, but maybe someone convinced him that some kind of deal is imminent.

Rahm is the only one who surprised me, but maybe someone convinced him that some kind of deal is imminent.

Rahm was already moaning today about not being able to play events like Phoenix and Torrey Pines and wondering if there was some way he would be allowed to play in the big PGA events.

Reactions: FireballZ
Again, I see the Talor Gooch's and some of the guys who are past their primes, but Koepka, Rahm, Cam Smith, come on. Basically they are getting paid millions to essentially play in a beer scramble with buddies on the weekend. Sure, less stress and wear and tear but you aren't really competing.

I don't know what the end is. The PGA upped the ante to "signature events" and I don't know what is so tough about only playing them and the majors. You don't want to play the John Deere in Rockford, IL or Zurich in New Orleans, then don't play.

One more point I forgot to make. Wyndham Clark shot a course record 60. But it was under lift clean and place conditions. I mean the course was so soft, you would see a tee shot literally disappear in the fairway as it buried. Now I understand the rule, it was absolutely necessary. But shouldn't there be an asterisk with that "record".

"LIV to me is unwatchable. "

Is LIV vs PGA a foretaste of the split between BigMac and SEC vs NCAA?

Will an affluent semi-pro league of elite once-college teams appeal to people whose affiliation isn't to those schools? I'd either watch my school or the pros. I can't watch a random college or pro game. I definitely wouldn't watch some random semi-pro game. Boring to me. If these teams control the airways, I'll find something else to do with my time. I also notice that now the kids are paid, I already see them as semi-pro and am more detached from them. I'm more critical. "They're getting paid, they need to make that catch/tackle/etc." Anyone else experiencing that phenomenon? It was purely subconscious. I caught myself doing it. Not a conscious decision to.

One more point I forgot to make. Wyndham Clark shot a course record 60. But it was under lift clean and place conditions. I mean the course was so soft, you would see a tee shot literally disappear in the fairway as it buried. Now I understand the rule, it was absolutely necessary. But shouldn't there be an asterisk with that "record".
Lots of people agree. Ball in hand rounds don’t count on the Euro (or DP World) Tour.

Lots of people agree. Ball in hand rounds don’t count on the Euro (or DP World) Tour.
yeah, fluffing our ball, picking and cleaning, is kind of amateur mickey mouse nonsense.

im a typical weekend golfer, sneak a 12 pack of beer on, speaker in golf cart guy so i dont even take it that serious and even me and my buddies really have a hard time picking up and fluffing the ball on a stupid public golf course on a saturday after 8 beers..

Cant for the life of me see an actual pro doing it in an actual event.

yeah, fluffing our ball, picking and cleaning, is kind of amateur mickey mouse nonsense.

im a typical weekend golfer, sneak a 12 pack of beer on, speaker in golf cart guy so i dont even take it that serious and even me and my buddies really have a hard time picking up and fluffing the ball on a stupid public golf course on a saturday after 8 beers..

Sometimes it’s necessary. As was said above balls were plugging in the fairways. I think I heard one player “lost” a ball that was clearly in the fairway and had to replay the shot and take a penalty. Which is brutal.

There were lost balls in the rough. Everyone knew it wasn’t OB. But those were still considered lost and they had to reload. If found they could have taken a drop if embedded.

There are times when you have to play lift clean and place. Wet courses are damn near unplayable at some times.
He still had to hit a ball off of a soft wet surface. I find his 60, simply amazing.
He made some crazy putts too. Has nothing to do with LCP…..

Sometimes it’s necessary. As was said above balls were plugging in the fairways. I think I heard one player “lost” a ball that was clearly in the fairway and had to replay the shot and take a penalty. Which is brutal.

There were lost balls in the rough. Everyone knew it wasn’t OB. But those were still considered lost and they had to reload. If found they could have taken a drop if embedded.
ok, well if the balls are plugging in fairways, thats a golf course / weather issue and quite frankly, no real tournament should even be played when the course is in that condition..

Winter rules i guess, as we amateur hackers kind of give ourselves a little leeway when playing in spring/winter..

"LIV to me is unwatchable. "

Is LIV vs PGA a foretaste of the split between BigMac and SEC vs NCAA?

Will an affluent semi-pro league of elite once-college teams appeal to people whose affiliation isn't to those schools? I'd either watch my school or the pros. I can't watch a random college or pro game. I definitely wouldn't watch some random semi-pro game. Boring to me. If these teams control the airways, I'll find something else to do with my time. I also notice that now the kids are paid, I already see them as semi-pro and am more detached from them. I'm more critical. "They're getting paid, they need to make that catch/tackle/etc." Anyone else experiencing that phenomenon? It was purely subconscious. I caught myself doing it. Not a conscious decision to.
Well if it is the same sport, it is not even close to a comparison. It would be as one of the two divisions of college FB play 3 quarters instead of 4, using flag football in shorts vs tackle with pads, with almost Nickelodeon anime graphics in front of weird stadiums that are almost totally empty. Because that is what the LIV tour is in comparison to the PGA tour.

I mean it was so bad, the ball was imbedding itself in the fairways like that punt did in the Steelers/Miami MNF game after that downpour. They were unplayable lies, so I have no problem with it. Just do when a course record is considered.

I mean it was so bad, the ball was imbedding itself in the fairways like that punt did in the Steelers/Miami MNF game after that downpour. They were unplayable lies, so I have no problem with it. Just do when a course record is considered.
yeah, why even play a tournament in that kind of weather/conditions. bad choice..

yeah, why even play a tournament in that kind of weather/conditions. bad choice..
Because there’s too much money at stake. If it’s playable at all, they’ll play. Yea the conditions were far less than ideal but there’s no real reason not to play. When it gets like Sunday and Monday that’s another matter. But they will NEVER cancel an event because balls are plugging. Nor should they.

It's not that big of a deal. It was perfectly fine up until Sunday except it was so wet. So all of the players had the same rules/conditions. But to then accept that as the course record against other years when lift/clean/place was not in play, then that is questionable. It is like a 100m dash with a strong tail wind, they designate the times with an asterisk as "wind aided".

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
It's not that big of a deal. It was perfectly fine up until Sunday except it was so wet. So all of the players had the same rules/conditions. But to then accept that as the course record against other years when lift/clean/place was not in play, then that is questionable. It is like a 100m dash with a strong tail wind, they designate the times with an asterisk as "wind aided".

That is a good example. And wind aided track times are not considered to be records, even when they are better than the recognized record.

great analogy, i agree.

Again, I see the Talor Gooch's and some of the guys who are past their primes, but Koepka, Rahm, Cam Smith, come on. Basically they are getting paid millions to essentially play in a beer scramble with buddies on the weekend. Sure, less stress and wear and tear but you aren't really competing.

I don't know what the end is. The PGA upped the ante to "signature events" and I don't know what is so tough about only playing them and the majors. You don't want to play the John Deere in Rockford, IL or Zurich in New Orleans, then don't play.
FYI, Gooch is +/- 2 years in age of all of the guys you mentioned after him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT