ADVERTISEMENT

There was a good discussion on the FAN today

SisadaPITT

Scholarship
Sep 14, 2019
About the stadium, Gorman thinks its coming one day, and callers discussing the issue.

Wasn't sure if anyone heard it and many great points were discussed.

About the stadium, Gorman thinks its coming one day, and callers discussing the issue.

Wasn't sure if anyone heard it and many great points were discussed.
A 45-50k seat stadium that could be used for a variety of things throughout the year is needed. It would obviously help the football program, but could enhance student life if done properly.

1) You could build academic facilities within the complex.
2) Intramural and club level sports could use it.
3) Use it for concerts, and other entertainment.

So you’re going to build a 500 million plus stadium to allow club sports to use and wear down the field by using it all the time?

what academic facilities? how many concerts would there be?

this doesn’t even address the infrastructure issues.

So you’re going to build a 500 million plus stadium to allow club sports to use and wear down the field by using it all the time?

It wouldn’t be 500 million. You use Field Turf or something similar. Something related to medicine. You could do a spring and summer concert series.

what sort of concert series? It needs to draw 30k plus to make it worth it.
If you can bring 3-4 big concerts. You could also use it for 1-2 soccer exhibitions in the spring and summer.

The main purpose would be for football, academic facilities, include rehab facilities, and student use for intramurals and club sports.

If you can bring 3-4 big concerts. You could also use it for 1-2 soccer exhibitions in the spring and summer.

The main purpose would be for football, academic facilities, include rehab facilities, and student use for intramurals and club sports.
Look, land acquisition costs are going to be huge. Once you start building on offices and academic facilities you are going to be looking at a near billion dollar project.

Reactions: Celtsfan
It’s probably taboo to say this at a university, but certainly not taboo to say on a sports message board. We don’t need libraries anymore. That’s a fact that may not be widely accepted yet, but one day it will be the norm. Future generations will laugh about past generations having to go to a building that houses things called books.

Put a stadium on Hillman’s footprint and make it an all purpose facility that house’s other university/academic needs.

Before you embarrass yourself further, study up on big time football schools/ stadium upgrades, as well as new stadiums either completed or proposed.

You will find that most projects have auxiliary uses above and beyond playing football.

Nebraska, for example

Practicing and playing where the Steelers play is one of the constant, major recruiting points of the program. And the present stadium is 5 miles away from campus. It is really non-issue except to a small group of people.

Not true, I would say 90% of callers, students, alums, young and old wanted it and thought it would be a good thing for the whole school. So, I feel you are the minority

Reactions: chirurgo

We are building this in Pittsburgh, not LA right? $500 million sounds like hyperbole.

Let the University choose the academic facilities based on need and integration, like any other university in the country does.

You could easily have 1 concert per week there during spring and summer.

We are building this in Pittsburgh, not LA right? $500 million sounds like hyperbole.

Let the University choose the academic facilities based on need and integration, like any other university in the country does.

You could easily have 1 concert per week there during spring and summer.

I’d think you could get something serviceable and relatively nice in the 200 million range.

Reactions: chirurgo
I’d think you could get something serviceable and relatively nice in the 200 million range.
Yeah, anyone that thinks a 40K seat CFB stadium costs $500 million is an idiot. Most smaller stadiums built in the past 10 years are in the $150-200 million range.

I would be willing to bet Pitt has an on campus stadium in my lifetime, not sure I will still be able to walk there under my own power by that time though.
Lol, this is terrific and I agree. I’m early 40s and it will happen at the exact point where I am too old to go to college football games.

45-50K is too big. 40K max. Live event Attendance is shrinking everywhere.

40K is a MAC stadium, can't be less than 45k. The VA hospital is the perfect spot, it has a garage, and you write one check for land acquisition.

Gorman is a nitter and agree most likely trolling to take focus away from the PSU fail

Yeah, anyone that thinks a 40K seat CFB stadium costs $500 million is an idiot. Most smaller stadiums built in the past 10 years are in the $150-200 million range.

So you want pitt to do it on the cheap? Not to mention buying the land is going to be massively expensive. Necessary infrastructure upgrades. Add in offices and academic facilities if you want to go that route and you are looking at a 750 million dollar plus project.

It’s probably taboo to say this at a university, but certainly not taboo to say on a sports message board. We don’t need libraries anymore. That’s a fact that may not be widely accepted yet, but one day it will be the norm. Future generations will laugh about past generations having to go to a building that houses things called books.

Put a stadium on Hillman’s footprint and make it an all purpose facility that house’s other university/academic needs.

Interesting theory. Idk about the current roles of academic libraries because I am not a current academic. But the traditional neighborhood libraries (and CLP main) have done a great job updating their purpose. You can go in any day and see GED and college tutoring, resume classes, kids play groups, adult Chinese study groups, and people using it as a computer lab who can't afford a home computer/Internet. They're basically hubs of activity. I went to Northland the last time I was in the north hills and even in a more affluent community it was bustling with people doing activities, and yes, checking out books.

Why does everyone care about the costs of a stadium from a university that has a HUGE endowment? Yall pay the gov for everything else anyways haha

good god, again the endowment had nothing to do with it.

Two, I don’t care about the costs. I’d gladly pay a tax to make it happen...it’s just not going to fly politically.

Three.,you all are ignoring the infrastructure improvements needed.

TCF bank stadium cost 300 million. The university already owned the land. It was FLAT which is a big deal. It isn’t a multipurpose academic facility as well.

A stadium similar in Oakland likely costs double. Make it a dual use facility and it is way more.

How about selling monogram bricks. Pre order today with your name for $100. They could be laid at the entrance. Let’s do the math. $400,000,000 for stadium so if we sell 50,000 bricks that would be $5,000,000. Almost there !!!!!!!

Reactions: ninthgreenat9
The truth of the matter is that Pitt needs to be exploring options for a "second campus" similar to what WVU did with Evansdale decades ago. Oakland is indeed land locked and gobbling very brick from the slumlords is cost prohibitive. If that happens to be Hazelwood, so be it. Truthfully, they should have been acquiring the land where Hotel Indigo and the business park is.

Why does everyone care about the costs of a stadium from a university that has a HUGE endowment? Yall pay the gov for everything else anyways haha

Reminds me of GO NUTTINGS WALLET, where he has yinzers more concerned over his wallet than their own!

Pitt could start a fund, and if they build a strong program, the boxes and seats will bring in a nice penny to get things rolling

Reactions: freddietee511
So you want pitt to do it on the cheap? Not to mention buying the land is going to be massively expensive. Necessary infrastructure upgrades. Add in offices and academic facilities if you want to go that route and you are looking at a 750 million dollar plus project.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT