ADVERTISEMENT

These title games to me is alot like Christmas

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
and not in the good way. Same with college football. There is such a build up, such festivities, such excitement and anticipation that when the ultimate game, the title game comes......Christmas, it is a finality that it is over. And truthfully, I mean I am not into this as much as I was when I was younger, but this is exactly the way I feel as these games commence. It's over. See ya next year. The season's over. Just like Christmas. I love Christmas, I have to admit. But when the actual Christmas Day comes, it is never what it is built up to be, and the excitement of the season is over.

Not quite sure I agree. This game started slow, but after the first 10 minutes, it was one helluva game. Great defense and maybe even better offense. It was a just a very well played and fun game to watch.

and not in the good way. Same with college football. There is such a build up, such festivities, such excitement and anticipation that when the ultimate game, the title game comes......Christmas, it is a finality that it is over. And truthfully, I mean I am not into this as much as I was when I was younger, but this is exactly the way I feel as these games commence. It's over. See ya next year. The season's over. Just like Christmas. I love Christmas, I have to admit. But when the actual Christmas Day comes, it is never what it is built up to be, and the excitement of the season is over.
Yikes. I loved it - just like I do every year. And God willing, will be here next year to enjoy it again.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
That was a great game and the tournament delivered the goods once again.

Reactions: 88Pitt88

Exactly man. It isn’t Christmas that’s exciting as much as it is the 18th. It isn’t tonight that’s exciting it’s the week of conference championships. Everything is in front of you

Tonight’s game was great. Thought it was different than games the other night

No no no........am I that poor of a communicator?? I am not criticizing the game itself....just the end. It is here, it comes, there is such a buildup....and then when it comes you realize it is over. Maybe if my team is the champs, it is different. But just like Christmas, and again I am a big fan of all the hype, and fun and excitement leading up to it, come Christmas Day, the dinner, the family all of that maybe great, but there is that finality of it is over. And the fact that as much of the buildup to the event is......it just....well it is over and done. And yes, on to the next event.

Not quite sure I agree. This game started slow, but after the first 10 minutes, it was one helluva game. Great defense and maybe even better offense. It was a just a very well played and fun game to watch.

I don’t think he was indicting the game

No no no........am I that poor of a communicator?? I am not criticizing the game itself....just the end. It is here, it comes, there is such a buildup....and then when it comes you realize it is over. Maybe if my team is the champs, it is different. But just like Christmas, and again I am a big fan of all the hype, and fun and excitement leading up to it, come Christmas Day, the dinner, the family all of that maybe great, but there is that finality of it is over. And the fact that as much of the buildup to the event is......it just....well it is over and done. And yes, on to the next event.
Sorry - misunderstood. Regardless, I get the low after a big high, but the Stanley Cup playoff starts in 2 days and the Master's in 3, so.....all is good. ;)

Reactions: paulbl99
NHL playoffs start in two days!
And again, maybe that is different. Because it is so long. And I have seen my team at the end of the marathon on top, it is glorious. But the NCAA tourney, and even the college football season, it seems to come and go so fast. Boom. Then it is over. Of course I have never seen my team at the end, be that team with the shining moment, standing. Because that celebration extends into the coming months. I know this from being a Pens fan. That is glorious.

I am just talking about being a fan of the sport. And the sadness of that sport being over. For now. Like Christmas, I know it will come again next year. But it is over for now.

Reactions: jaebree422
Can't wait! That said tonight's game was incredible. The tournament and March Madness is one awesome time of the year for any hoops fan, even the casual one. Furthermore, I loved the abscense of bluebloods for a change. Can't wait for Pitt to work its way back into the field!

Reactions: jaebree422
I get it, and l feel a lot the same way.

That's one thing I love about the week of the conference tournaments. You get to enjoy every minute of it knowing that when it ends, the Big Dance is just a few days away.

Just to further on this Christmas is.......well you got that whole fall thing leading up to T-giving and Christmas. If you are like me, I am basically shut down those last two weeks, so I have off. Lots of parties, fun, just so much going on. Then Christmas Day comes. And well you got that week until New Years and you got...WINTER! Dark and cold. It is depressing.

College football, well college basketball used to finish a bit earlier. So you have still a cold dreary rainy month of April to navigate. True you got the Master's and for me, the NHL playoffs, but there is so much build up and pageantry to the college basketball conference and March Madness. Not to mention, for many of us, I am not a big NBA guy, so this is the last time I get a chance to see a lot of these players on a regular basis.

The NHL Playoffs are a different thing to me. Especially those long runs. I mean 2 months of almost every other day, play a game, react, play the next game. it is a ride. And it ends in Mid June. So it is summer at least, LIGHT AND WARM! And truthfully at the end of the Cup run, even as a fan you are exhausted and ready for it to end.

Just to further on this Christmas is.......well you got that whole fall thing leading up to T-giving and Christmas. If you are like me, I am basically shut down those last two weeks, so I have off. Lots of parties, fun, just so much going on. Then Christmas Day comes. And well you got that week until New Years and you got...WINTER! Dark and cold. It is depressing.

College football, well college basketball used to finish a bit earlier. So you have still a cold dreary rainy month of April to navigate. True you got the Master's and for me, the NHL playoffs, but there is so much build up and pageantry to the college basketball conference and March Madness. Not to mention, for many of us, I am not a big NBA guy, so this is the last time I get a chance to see a lot of these players on a regular basis.

The NHL Playoffs are a different thing to me. Especially those long runs. I mean 2 months of almost every other day, play a game, react, play the next game. it is a ride. And it ends in Mid June. So it is summer at least, LIGHT AND WARM! And truthfully at the end of the Cup run, even as a fan you are exhausted and ready for it to end.

Not to be corny but I had a relatively difficult time this year. You and I are in similar fields and the month of December is like a big celebration. Plus, the pressure of 2 kids in the prime time age and one on the way was a lot to deal with subconsciously I think.

I was basically mildly depressed all of January and February.

Traditionally I put crazy expectations on the Holidays and no matter what I do I can’t seem to live up to them.

Ha! Who thought a post about the basketball game would lead to a discussion on mental health.

And again, maybe that is different. Because it is so long. And I have seen my team at the end of the marathon on top, it is glorious. But the NCAA tourney, and even the college football season, it seems to come and go so fast. Boom. Then it is over. Of course I have never seen my team at the end, be that team with the shining moment, standing. Because that celebration extends into the coming months. I know this from being a Pens fan. That is glorious.

I am just talking about being a fan of the sport. And the sadness of that sport being over. For now. Like Christmas, I know it will come again next year. But it is over for now.
The college offseasons feel like an eternity, especially when your team doesn’t make any sort of postseason. Basically all of December through all of August of no college football, then half of March up to November of no college basketball.

Not to be corny but I had a relatively difficult time this year. You and I are in similar fields and the month of December is like a big celebration. Plus, the pressure of 2 kids in the prime time age and one on the way was a lot to deal with subconsciously I think.

I was basically mildly depressed all of January and February.

Traditionally I put crazy expectations on the Holidays and no matter what I do I can’t seem to live up to them.

Ha! Who thought a post about the basketball game would lead to a discussion on mental health.
What helped me this year was we had a week long sales meeting in January in Florida, then I had a week long training conference the week before the Super Bowl, so that was 2 weeks of the January "blahs".

It was great for the mental health, not great for the diet and liver.

Good analogy. I like Christmas, but like Thanksgiving better because it’s the “beginning of Christmas”. Christmas itself is kind of the end.

Same with the tournament...the first weekend is actually better because it’s the beginning of the “season”

Good analogy. I like Christmas, but like Thanksgiving better because it’s the “beginning of Christmas”. Christmas itself is kind of the end.

Same with the tournament...the first weekend is actually better because it’s the beginning of the “season”
Excellent analogy.

What helped me this year was we had a week long sales meeting in January in Florida, then I had a week long training conference the week before the Super Bowl, so that was 2 weeks of the January "blahs".

It was great for the mental health, not great for the diet and liver.

Ya we went to Florida last spring and it helped a ton. With a new addition this Feb we weren’t able. But I’ll never miss a Early spring trip again.

Not to sound darker, but just wait till your kids leave for college and the holidays are the ONLY time you get to see them. Talk about total depression after 1/1. I'm a big believer in light therapy when I start feeling very blue. It's not always feasible to pick up and go away, so I find it helps a ton. Being a parent is funny in that you're exhausted for 18 years, dying for a break, and then poof! you crave having them back.

Hang in there guys!!!!

Reactions: bobfree
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT