ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero

docpanther26

Junior
Aug 12, 2017
Did he visit this weekend? Read one article that said he did but other articles said Cohren, Dunn and Dixon were on campus. Are we expected to land him?

He started at Kentucky. He's projected late 1st/2nd in 2025 so he'd start for us. It would be

Lowe
Leggett
Dunn
Thiero
Corhen

Yeah, I don't get the pulling minutes thing. As far as I'm concerned, we still need a starting 4.

I understand we can move some pieces around as is, and that would be a great idea if NIT is the goal again. But, we need a starting 4.

Yeah, I don't get the pulling minutes thing. As far as I'm concerned, we still need a starting 4.

I understand we can move some pieces around as is, and that would be a great idea if NIT is the goal again. But, we need a starting 4.
Well it’s sort of he is a starter. So then maybe Austin enters portal if he comes. Not enough minutes for everyone.

Another reason to fill the last two spots. But you are spot on, we still need a starting 4 in some form or fashion whether it is a traditional 4 or you land Theiro and move guys around

Yeah, I don't get how anyone is content with rolling with what we have now. Austin at the 3 and GDG at the 4 is not a good lineup. Nor is Austin/Corhen/Kante or GDG at the 3-5. It's an okay lineup, but there's a pretty low ceiling in my opinion.

Reactions: Scasten17
Yeah, I don't get how anyone is content with rolling with what we have now. Austin at the 3 and GDG at the 4 is not a good lineup. Nor is Austin/Corhen/Kante or GDG at the 3-5. It's an okay lineup, but there's a pretty low ceiling in my opinion.
1000 percent agree! I know it is all about NIL money but this team needs a starting 4. I like the twins and think they have a role on this team. And Kante could be the back up center if healthy and will get minutes. I am fine with Austin starting at the 3, the challenge is what happens with him if you land Thiero? But if you have
Lowe
Leggett/Dunn
Austin or Thiero
Transfer or Austin
Corhen

I am fine with that. Yes Austin not ideal at the 4. Another shooter off the bench would be ideal but almost impossible to land that and a 4. Running out of minutes anyway after you fill the next spot unless someone like a Barnes Austin or Kante would transfer which I don't see as likely at all.

But yes we can agree need to add another piece to this lineup!

1000 percent agree! I know it is all about NIL money but this team needs a starting 4. I like the twins and think they have a role on this team. And Kante could be the back up center if healthy and will get minutes. I am fine with Austin starting at the 3, the challenge is what happens with him if you land Thiero? But if you have
Lowe
Leggett/Dunn
Austin or Thiero
Transfer or Austin
Corhen

I am fine with that. Yes Austin not ideal at the 4. Another shooter off the bench would be ideal but almost impossible to land that and a 4. Running out of minutes anyway after you fill the next spot unless someone like a Barnes Austin or Kante would transfer which I don't see as likely at all.

But yes we can agree need to add another piece to this lineup!

Thiero is the same height as Hinson. And Hinson wasnt a great rebounder. Thiero could slide into that Hinson role as a "3 and a half"

Thiero is the same height as Hinson. And Hinson wasnt a great rebounder. Thiero could slide into that Hinson role as a "3 and a half"

Yeah... figure anything out between Austin and Thiero, but I'd be completely fine having them as the 3/4.

Lowe
Leggett
Austin
Thiero
Corhen

Hey, maybe there is a matchup where we'd rather move Thiero and Corhen up one, slide Austin to the bench, and start Kante or GDG... but at least we'd have that option. With a bench of Cummings, Dunn, GDG, Kante, Jorge, and Barnes, that gives you a good bit of flexibility. Then redshirt Ndiaye and keep a scholarship open for an unexpected decommitment or something. Or go add an unathletic shooter who can give you limited minutes (doubt you'd be adding anyone of substance at that point).

Yeah... figure anything out between Austin and Thiero, but I'd be completely fine having them as the 3/4.

Lowe
Leggett
Austin
Thiero
Corhen

Hey, maybe there is a matchup where we'd rather move Thiero and Corhen up one, slide Austin to the bench, and start Kante or GDG... but at least we'd have that option. With a bench of Cummings, Dunn, GDG, Kante, Jorge, and Barnes, that gives you a good bit of flexibility. Then redshirt Ndiaye and keep a scholarship open for an unexpected decommitment or something.
I agree, you make it work if you can land Thiero.

Me personally I would rather start Austin over GDG, but I guess it goes back to the above point, you make it work if you land Thiero. Might be the only way I want GDG to start haha. Not a bad bench either. Dunn or Leggett as sixth man, Cummings as fourth guard, tiwns and kante. And agree RS Ndiaye and Barnes can work his way into the rotation

I agree, you make it work if you can land Thiero.

Me personally I would rather start Austin over GDG, but I guess it goes back to the above point, you make it work if you land Thiero. Might be the only way I want GDG to start haha. Not a bad bench either. Dunn or Leggett as sixth man, Cummings as fourth guard, tiwns and kante. And agree RS Ndiaye and Barnes can work his way into the rotation

I'm wondering if Barnes can offer anything. Like, what would his comp be? Will he be the Pitt version of Santos? Hopefully he can at least be a spot shooter or something.

Lowe
Leggett
Austin
Thiero
Corhen

Hey, maybe there is a matchup where we'd rather move Thiero and Corhen up one, slide Austin to the bench, and start Kante or GDG... but at least we'd have that option. With a bench of Cummings, Dunn, GDG, Kante, Jorge, and Barnes, that gives you a good bit of flexibility. Then redshirt Ndiaye and keep a scholarship open for an unexpected decommitment or something. Or go add an unathletic shooter who can give you limited minutes (doubt you'd be adding anyone of substance at that point).

It would be:

PG - Lowe
SG - Dunn or Cummings
SF - Leggett
PF - Thiero
C - Corhen

It would be:

PG - Lowe
SG - Dunn or Cummings
SF - Leggett
PF - Thiero
C - Corhen
Cummings isn't starting.
PG- Lowe
SG- Leggett/Dunn
SF- Austin or Thiero
PF- Thiero/Austin/transfer/GDG
C- Corhen

They might go 3 guards if they didn't start Austin or GDG, but they will make it work and find a way if you land Thiero. But maybe that was the pitch to Dunn to start alongside Leggett. I agree Austin could draw the short end of the stick if we land Thiero but see Dunn/Leggett starting over Cummings in all scenarios

It would be:

PG - Lowe
SG - Dunn or Cummings
SF - Leggett
PF - Thiero
C - Corhen

It could be that as well. Not sure if Cummings or Dunn (based of what Vader said; I don't know much about them) would start, though. I wouldn't rule anything out, but it would be a nice "problem" to have. Or, maybe Austin would leave if we landed Thiero. Not sure what his expectations are.

If Austin is starting, it means Capel has failed to completely upgrade the starting roster or he's not deploying the troops properly. He's a role player. I would much rather roll with SMF's 3 guard lineup than have Austin starting at the 3.

If Austin is starting, it means Capel has failed to completely upgrade the starting roster or he's not deploying the troops properly. He's a role player. I would much rather roll with SMF's 3 guard lineup than have Austin starting at the 3.
He started 31/33 games last year. I am not saying he is the perfect fit or locked in starter but unless you do a 3 guard lineup, add a 3 and 4 in the portal that can start (not going to happen) or rolling with GDG at the 4 with Theiro or someone else at the 3, Austin is starting next season IMO

He started 31/33 games last year. I am not saying he is the perfect fit or locked in starter but unless you do a 3 guard lineup, add a 3 and 4 in the portal that can start (not going to happen) or rolling with GDG at the 4 with Theiro or someone else at the 3, Austin is starting next season IMO

He didnt play starter's minutes. If he plays starter's minutes this year, then we will have a hole because he isnt an ACC-level starter. He is a good role player.

He didnt play starter's minutes. If he plays starter's minutes this year, then we will have a hole because he isnt an ACC-level starter. He is a good role player.
I get it, I think he played liked 22 minutes per game last year and was absent alot down the stretch in close games. Again I think he can start, might not be the best option or play 30-35 minutes a game like last year. Me personally prefer him over GDG/twins in starting lineup. Either way still need to add a 4 or Thiero. But a 3 guard lineup you are correct unless no one else is adding Austin probabaly would not start

I don't want him starting either, but I'm just trying to be realistic with available NIL funds and minutes. I'd MUCH rather live with him at the 3 and have an upgraded 4 than have to roll with GDG at the 4 and use Leggett at the 3.

Austin needs to be much better and more consistent on the glass. In the middle of the season, his rebound rates started to fall off a cliff just like Fede last year when we didn't know what planet Fede was on for half the season and we started losing a bunch of games. At the end of the season, Austin really picked it up rebounding the ball and Fede was improved there too and we were winning and even winning big.

We finished the season ranked 30th in the country in the efficiency power rankings. We finished 16th in the country the last 10 games of the season in the efficiency metrics. We were playing like a Sweet 16 or maybe slightly better the last 10 games of the season.

We dont need Austin to be some huge scoring option, we already have 3 double digit ACC scorers on the roster plus a major scoring weapon coming in with Brandin Cummings. We need Austin to consistently get it done on defense and on the glass, which, if he gets his head into the game every single game, he is capable of doing that. That is what we really could use from Dunn as well. We need these guys to be dialed in on defense and the glass to help when Cummings is in the game. Cummings is a certified bucket getter, but he is not close to Bub on defense or on the glass. We need his teammates to help out there which is why its important we have a stud defender next to Cummings.

We need to get our defense and rebounding sealed up. That's also the importance of Kante and why he should play a significant role next year.

Leggett helps offset the defensive and rebounding weakness left behind by Carrington at the 2. Dunn helps offset the defensive and rebounding weakness left behind from Leggett as the 6th or 7th man or so off the bench in the regular rotation.

Our roster looks pretty decent on paper right now, NCAA tournament caliber on paper right now imo, with zero further additions.

Thiero is a difference maker. He literally grew 10 inches over the past 4 years, so has guard-type skills. He’s also extremely athletic, a great rebounder/low post defender, and a high energy player. Can play all five positions but is probably best suited at the 4 in a four-out motion offense. He would be a HUGE get.

Cummings isn't starting.
PG- Lowe
SG- Leggett/Dunn
SF- Austin or Thiero
PF- Thiero/Austin/transfer/GDG
C- Corhen

They might go 3 guards if they didn't start Austin or GDG, but they will make it work and find a way if you land Thiero. But maybe that was the pitch to Dunn to start alongside Leggett. I agree Austin could draw the short end of the stick if we land Thiero but see Dunn/Leggett starting over Cummings in all scenarios

I see Leggett starting at the 2 and Dunn starting at the 3. If they get Thiero he starts at the 4. Austin will back up the 3 and 4. If Austin has to start it will be at the 4.

I see Leggett starting at the 2 and Dunn starting at the 3. If they get Thiero he starts at the 4. Austin will back up the 3 and 4. If Austin has to start it will be at the 4.

Dunn is better than Austin and will play more.

22-23 stats:

Dunn: 15.3 PPG in American Athletic Conference

Austin: 14.1 PPG in Big South, a low major conference

23-24 stats:

Dunn: 6.4 PPG in 17.5 minutes
Austin: 6.5 PPG in 22.7 minutes

Theiro posted a cryptic UK message a day or two ago. Possibly returning there. Ideally JDG and Barnes would be 11 and 12 in depth. Probably not going to get a 1-8 type player now, so who is still available in portal that could be 9/10 off the bench. Better than Barnes and JDG but probably not as much upside as Kante. This is where having Jeffress stay wouldn’t have been awful. He has a limited skill set but was ok with his role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shortman011
Dunn is better than Austin and will play more.

22-23 stats:

Dunn: 15.3 PPG in American Athletic Conference

Austin: 14.1 PPG in Big South, a low major conference

23-24 stats:

Dunn: 6.4 PPG in 17.5 minutes
Austin: 6.5 PPG in 22.7 minutes
They have different styles though that can be helpful at different times. I haven’t seen a Pitt player hit so many clutch shots at end of games like Dunn did at Temple though since Levance.

I like it and I am fine with 3 guards starting. I can see Austin starting at the 3 or 4 if need be depending on how it shakes out with Thiero and 2 open spots. But I would prefer Austin over GDG starting, at any position. Curious to see what they do with Leggett and Dunn if they both start or one of them wants to be 6th man off the bench and play 30-35 minutes a game, we shall see.

Theiro likely not coming here. No indication of interest or visit here and he posted references to UK within past few days suggesting he will return there.

Theiro posted a cryptic UK message a day or two ago. Possibly returning there. Ideally JDG and Barnes would be 11 and 12 in depth. Probably not going to get a 1-8 type player now, so who is still available in portal that could be 9/10 off the bench. Better than Barnes and JDG but probably not as much upside as Kante. This is where having Jeffress stay wouldn’t have been awful. He has a limited skill set but was ok with his role.

Getting a freshman to reclassify is always another option. There will be a few between now and the beginning of the season who do. Another Au'diese Toney wouldn't be bad, not that I'm counting on it.

They better at least add someone on the level of Mongolian Mike, though, and even that would be kind of meh.

Theiro likely not coming here. No indication of interest or visit here and he posted references to UK within past few days suggesting he will return there.
Didnt you see matts post on the message board. There is most definitely interest. Big Z also posted at UK, and and a day or 2 later committed to Arkansas. That didnt mean anything. The post is on Late Night Notes Monday at 9:50 PM

Getting a freshman to reclassify is always another option. There will be a few between now and the beginning of the season who do. Another Au'diese Toney wouldn't be bad, not that I'm counting on it.

They better at least add someone on the level of Mongolian Mike, though, and even that would be kind of meh.
If they got him and Thiero or a 4 like Terrance Williams I am ecstatic

They have different styles though that can be helpful at different times. I haven’t seen a Pitt player hit so many clutch shots at end of games like Dunn did at Temple though since Levance.
What kind of player is Dunn? I can’t recall ever watching him play.

It would be very hard to add someone in the portal worse than Will. There are literally 500 better players in the portal. He's a 10 PPG guy at a low major

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT