ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero

The follow-up says he did say Pitt and not just Pittsburgh but not sure if any truth to random twitter posters. Seems to be a UK fan fwiw.
I don’t think this is right. It was one of Thiero’s Kentucky teammates who said, “Adou Thiero, announcing his commitment to Pitt,” or something similar. But the context was clear that the teammate was just giving him a hard time and was messing around.

Reactions: Pitt666
I see that Austin announced his return to Pitt. Could Thiero's decision have been what he was waiting for (or what the people who pay him were waiting for)? Hopefully I'm reading too much into it.

Austin just announced his return to Pitt (I already assumed he was coming back, but I guess it didn't become official until today).

If we land Thiero, I would have to imagine Austin's potential minutes would decrease a good bit.

So, I was wondering if Austin announcing today that he intends to return to Pitt could somehow be tied to him catching wind that we're not expected to land Thiero.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elsalvador
Austin just announced his return to Pitt (I already assumed he was coming back, but I guess it didn't become official until today).

If we land Thiero, I would have to imagine Austin's potential minutes would decrease a good bit.

So, I was wondering if Austin announcing today that he intends to return to Pitt could somehow be tied to him catching wind that we're not expected to land Thiero.
Got it…..I just thought Thiero would be at the 3 and Austin at the 4.

I have no idea the dollar amounts these players are getting , but I don’t think retaining Austin would break the bank .

Probably not, but I feel Austin would definitely play less if we had Thiero on the team than he would if we didn't.
Maybe--just because of total roster numbers. However, I see Thiero more as 3/2 (i.e., more of a finesse player) and Austin as more of a 4-type with a more physical style of play,--so I don't see them competing for the same position.

Of course, Austin's return could simply mean the staff has learned that they aren't getting Thiero--that could also be the implication of the timing of the announcement.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Maybe--just because of total roster numbers. However, I see Thiero more as 3/2 (i.e., more of a finesse player) and Austin as more of a 4-type with a more physical style of play,--so I don't see them competing for the same position.

Of course, Austin's return could simply mean the staff has learned that they aren't getting Thiero--that could also be the implication of the timing of the announcement.
The coaches knew Austin was staying a month ago so that doesn't have anything to do with Thiero's decision. H2P

Thiero is much more a 4 than Austin will ever be.

Reactions: Scasten17
RJ Davis is coming back for year #10. I wonder if that affects how much they can pay Thiero
It really is disgusting. Does anyone have a fancy abacus that can determine when the extra flu year nonsense finally ends? I hope the 2024-25 season is finally it until they inevitably start allowing them to play college sports indefinitely.

It really is disgusting. Does anyone have a fancy abacus that can determine when the extra flu year nonsense finally ends? I hope the 2024-25 season is finally it until they inevitably start allowing them to play college sports indefinitely.
Any player whose first year in college was 2021-22 or later is no longer eligible for the covid year.

This is the last year of the extra Covid year. Unless of course, a guy like RJ Davis gets hurt and keeps missing part of a season, in which case he can play until he's 40.

I still think Blake should have filed a waiver for not being able to play during the Covid year

This is the last year of the extra Covid year. Unless of course, a guy like RJ Davis gets hurt and keeps missing part of a season, in which case he can play until he's 40.

I still think Blake should have filed a waiver for not being able to play during the Covid year
Wouldnt have worked, the covid year allows you to replay your 2020 season. If you redshirted in 2020, you get a 2nd redshirt. If you played you get another season of play. This was a discussion b/c of nate matlack the de for the football team. He only has 1 year left b/c he redshirted during the covid year

Wouldnt have worked, the covid year allows you to replay your 2020 season. If you redshirted in 2020, you get a 2nd redshirt. If you played you get another season of play. This was a discussion b/c of nate matlack the de for the football team. He only has 1 year left b/c he redshirted during the covid year

It probably wouldn't have but Blake missed it due to injury. You never know what the NCAA is going to do. Then if the PA AG sued the NCAA over it, they clearly win it but the PA AG wouldn't take that case.

Dr. Davis
As an aside...They always seem to use that audio track in shows and movies regarding a hospital..."Dr. Davis...telephone please" is on "Operation Mindcrime" by Queensryche as well as near the beginning of this song

UNC putting pressure on

Comes down to money. Period. If Pitt wants him, they have to outbid. I wished Gavin Bartholomew would enter the portal so we can use that money. The football team can suck with or without him. Not that we would use his money but I wished we could. I feel like this is the year to go big in basketball and maybe we can dial it back next year when Lowe, Leggett, Austin, and Dunn leave. Save money for a year then go big for Beebah's junior year.

Reactions: Yik9990
Comes down to money. Period. If Pitt wants him, they have to outbid. I wished Gavin Bartholomew would enter the portal so we can use that money. The football team can suck with or without him. Not that we would use his money but I wished we could. I feel like this is the year to go big in basketball and maybe we can dial it back next year when Lowe, Leggett, Austin, and Dunn leave. Save money for a year then go big for Beebah's junior year.
That's not accurate at all. He would be there already. PITT can't outbid UNC. Money is going to be a huge factor but PITT can't compete.

That's not accurate at all. He would be there already. PITT can't outbid UNC. Money is going to be a huge factor but PITT can't compete.
Pitt couldn’t compete with UNC before NIL and certainly not now with “ legalized “ payments to players .

Pitt couldn’t compete with UNC before NIL and certainly not now with “ legalized “ payments to players .
No kidding, I said that above. If it was solely based on NIL it would be over and PITT would have no chance. The other 4 finalists would blow them out of the water NIL offer wise.

When it comes down to Pitt vs UNC for a recruit, you fully expect UNC to come out on top. Will remain cautiously optimistic but won't be surprised if we find ourselves in 2nd place.

When it comes down to Pitt vs UNC for a recruit, you fully expect UNC to come out on top. Will remain cautiously optimistic but won't be surprised if we find ourselves in 2nd place.
No doubt especially when NIL/money is involved. But PITT has a chance. And no shame in losing a recruiting battle to them just sucks to come this far and be involved late

I disagree because basketball players dont make "a lot" of money relatively speaking. How much can he realistically get in the portal? I'll throw out a figure: $500K and that may be too much. Will UNC go $750K? $1 million? For a role player at Kentucky? I mean if they can, we cant match that but we should be able to match for a kid at Thiero's level or Lowe or Leggett. Pitt should have a payroll of $2 million.

Lowe: 500K
Leggett: 300K
Austin: 75K
Corhen: 300K
Dunn: 200K
GDG: 75K
Jorge: 25K
Kante: 25K
Barnes: 5K
Ndiaye: 5K
Cummings: 50K

That leaves around 400K for Thiero. If UNC goes to 500, we lose him unless we can raise the extra 100.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT