ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking out loud

Are we to believe that you somehow know better than guys who's livelihood is based on these decisions?

What qualifications do you have that would lead us to believe you are better at this than Narduzzi, or even Watson?
Are we to believe Narduzzi and Watson know better than all the other P5 coaches? Beville isn't highly regarded or coveted by big time programs, but what I was saying was he was clearly a guy HCPN and Watson targeted last year and they stuck with him as their top (or at least one of) choice. That counts for something and we will see how it pans out. Nothing jumps out for me, but he looks like he has a good frame and solid arm to work with.

Reactions: cashisking884
Are we to believe Narduzzi and Watson know better than all the other P5 coaches? Beville isn't highly regarded or coveted by big time programs, but what I was saying was he was clearly a guy HCPN and Watson targeted last year and they stuck with him as their top (or at least one of) choice. That counts for something and we will see how it pans out. Nothing jumps out for me, but he looks like he has a good frame and solid arm to work with.
Fair enough, and maybe I lumped you in with all of the teeth gnashing posts I've been bombarded with the last few months. Maybe fairly, and maybe not.

I don't follow recruiting close enough to know who the guys are that our coaches should be looking at to fit the schemes at Pitt. And I hope I will always be able to say that I don't follow high school kids that closely.

I don't really care what other coaches are looking at for a quarterback. I do know that very few teams run the offense that Pitt does (count how many full backs there are on rosters across the country), so maybe the number of other coaches coveting a kid isn't the best measurement to go by.

If he were a kid filling a roster spot to finish out a class, I could see questioning him. But he's not. He's the guy that our coaches have hung their hat on, so I have to side with them. It's their bigger than big salary jobs that are on the line.

Maybe I need to wait until the season starts before I come back to this site. The collective woe is me attitude around here is starting to bring me down.

It's really weird that there appears to be a loud part of the fan base that is so detached from reality that averaging 7-8 wins a season feels like success so long as they get to see Pitt play a brutal schedule and pull off the odd upset every few years while enjoying one or two kids who excel enough to get drafted. And then, run around bragging about that stuff like it matters more than winning or competing for conference championships while crying "whoa is me" about stadiums and colors and tarps and all the BS that doesn't matter as an excuse. "Hey, we beat out Iowa State and Army for a kid that needs three years to develop and you trolls are joke because Pitt will win 9-10 games this year!"

It's like there's a weird subset of Pitt football/Pirate fans that enjoys watching Pitt get their doors blown off at noon at Heinz and then slip over to PNC later to watch another meaningless September baseball game while lamenting the sins of Steve Pederson.

The fact that you're complaining about some Pitt fans trying to see the bright side of the recruits they're getting is crazy to me. You're the one talking about reality but it sounds to me you won't be happy unless Pitt wins 9-10 games a year? Let me give you a hint, 5* recruits aren't going to magically fall into our laps, if we can't try and look at the up side of some of these 3*, there will never be anything to be happy about.

By the way, Nobody is excited to watch the Pirates play right now.

The fact that you're complaining about some Pitt fans trying to see the bright side of the recruits they're getting is crazy to me. You're the one talking about reality but it sounds to me you won't be happy unless Pitt wins 9-10 games a year? Let me give you a hint, 5* recruits aren't going to magically fall into our laps, if we can't try and look at the up side of some of these 3*, there will never be anything to be happy about.

No problem looking for the bright side where it's justified but just assuming recruiting should always be average for Pitt is lazy. Good recruits don't fall into your lap. A coach goes and outworks every other coach to get them. And why can't 9-10 wins be a reality?

Reactions: Jpripper88

I suspect you are trying to converse with the the low IQ trolls... Ignore them....

When we had no recruits, they complained. When we finally got recruits, they complained that Pitt wasn't beating out Ohio St, PSU, Michigan, Miami, FSU Clemson for players. Instead we were beating out Rutgers, VA, VT, Purdue, Illinois, BC, Northwestern, Syracuse, and MSU, teams we have more in common with over the last 35 years...

The following has been their M.O.
  1. No matter what Pitt does, it won't be enough...
  2. Pitt should be beating out the big boys for recruits...No matter that we haven't accomplished anything for 35 years...
  3. They believe that recruiting services know more about which kids fit Pitt's system than the coaches...
  4. A 4 star player will automatically become a star, while a 3 star will struggle for playing time.
  5. Even when Pitt reaches for a player that has less than five P5 offers, instead of trusting the staff, they will automatically label him a failure . Furthermore, If James Conner was part of this recruiting class, those clowns would already label him a failure...
  6. All this whining is under the guise of trying to "elevate the expectations of the program" LOL! As if their opinion will change anything....
LOL!

Last edited:

But that's not what he is doing. He's arguing against those that use the glass half full approach to attack the rest of us.
Go look at any of those recruit threads from this weekend. You won't see any of us "trolls" attacking the kids, or pissing on the party. If people want to be happy about Pitt's recruiting, Pitt's place in P5 programs, etc,, be happy. None of us really have any problem with that, and we don't go around doing everything we can to ruin that.
But you know what you will find in those recruit celebration threads? The "brighter side" posters calling us out. Trying to bait us to come into the thread.
Look at poor pittmeister, who is probably the ring leader of the brighter side posters. Look at his posts and threads he has started over the last week. We live in his head. But you don't really see it go the other way.
These "bright side" posters use their bright side delusions, as justification to attack the rest of us that don't get in line. So then of course there are going to be discussions about how these positions are delusional. Or the hypocrisy of them.

2. Pitt should be beating out the big boys for recruits...No matter that we haven't accomplished anything for 35 years...
  3. They believe that recruiting services know more about which kids fit Pitt's system than the coaches...
  4. A 4 star player will automatically become a star, while a 3 star will struggle for playing time.
  5. Even when Pitt reaches for a player that has less than five P5 offers, instead of trusting the staff, they will automatically label him a failure . Furthermore, If James Conner was part of this recruiting class, those clowns would already label him a failure...
  6. All this whining is under the guise of trying to "elevate the expectations of the program" LOL! As if their opinion will change anything....

Grow a set and engage people directly.
  1. Not even remotely true.
  2. You really believe Pitt shouldn't even try to go after better recruits.
  3. Recruiting services have a really good track record at evaluating athletes.
  4. Nobody ever said this.
  5. A reach should be a choice you make periodically, not how you're filling your class. Guy's like JC are the exception to the rule.
  6. The guy that is whining is the guy that talks out of both ends at the same time, gets crushed with facts, then runs and hides behind insults.

I think now that we got a lot of solid guys, higher ranked guys would be more than willing to take us seriously (not that they didn't earlier in the cycle, but now that they see they'll have a team around them), and maybe commit. I think we'll see at least several 4 stars towards the end of the class, HCPN pulls them in towards the end every year. I don't see that changing this go around either.
Maybe a couple 4 stars. Not several. That has never happened at Pitt. These are good recruits. But not big names in terms of getting higher level players now to recruit.

I think the class will end up about 35-40. So similar to last year.

While the quality isn't going to blow anyone away - and some of them are definitely reaches - the good news it the two best players (in my view), play the 2 most important positions in Davis Beville (QB) and Brandon Mack (DE)

Lot to like about Beville
I am really hoping we can land some good offensive line recruits.

we have some recruits with nice offers and some "sleepers" with very weak offer list. best we can do is hope narduzzi and our staff can identify players before other programs do. I personally believe they are good at that skill set but im not exactly objective on the situation being a die hard pitt and narduzzi fan.
Well when you continue to recruit like this you get 5-7. I hope that he realizes that this nor this administration is not playing around. We will no longer be the laughing stock of the ACC Coastal

Reactions: cashisking884
I suspect you are trying to converse with the the low IQ trolls... Ignore them....

When we had no recruits, they complained. When we finally got recruits, they complained that Pitt wasn't beating out Ohio St, PSU, Michigan, Miami, FSU Clemson for players. Instead we were beating out Rutgers, VA, VT, Purdue, Illinois, BC, Northwestern, Syracuse, and MSU, teams we have more in common with over the last 35 years...

LOL!
please come to my tailgate in Gold One. I would love to meet you

I think now that we got a lot of solid guys, higher ranked guys would be more than willing to take us seriously (not that they didn't earlier in the cycle, but now that they see they'll have a team around them), and maybe commit. I think we'll see at least several 4 stars towards the end of the class, HCPN pulls them in towards the end every year. I don't see that changing this go around either.

That is not even remotely close to how recruiting works. There are no 4 and 5 star recruits sitting at home suddenly re-evaluating Pitt because a bunch of 3 stars committed. Nobody thought that there wouldn't be a team. What Narduzzi's done this recruiting cycle seems to be par for the course of his tenure, the only difference is that he got a bunch of commits all at once rather than spread out over a couple of weeks.

If you want to see a significant uptick in recruiting, Pitt needs to win. The only problem is that, generally speaking, causation works the other way around. Great recruiting leads to winning, it's virtually impossible to win first and then parlay that into improved recruiting when you play in the ACC. Optimism is fine, but a lot of what you post reads more like propaganda, as if repeating that Narduzzi is a beast recruiter over and over will make it true.

Reactions: Jpripper88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT