ADVERTISEMENT

This alliance talk could be leverage for the ACC to renegotiate the TV deal.

pandarod

Sophomore
Dec 2, 2003
ESPN was probably the driving force behind the Texas and Oklahoma move to the SEC. That move weakens and most probably kills the Big 12 to force a merger with the AAC. Fox had tv deals with the Big 12, the Big 10, and the Pac 12. By killing the Big 12 you weaken the Fox sports position to just the Big 12 and the Pac 12. ESPN already bought and sold off the Fox sports regional TV distributors which makes it that much tougher for Fox to compete with an enhanced ESPN. With the alliance talk, here is how things stand:

*The Big 10 and the Pac 12 are in a vulnerable position due to the SEC brand power.

*The SEC and AAC are under ESPN for television rights and if the AAC can convince the remaining Big 12 members to join them, would give the SEC a dependable league to beat up on for marketable out-of-conference games under the ESPN umbrella.

This leaves the ACC in an interesting position where they are locked into a lower-paying long-term contract with ESPN but could threaten the balance by striking a deal with the Fox sports leagues the Big 10 and the Pac 12. I wonder if the ACC will continue to push the alliance agenda in an effort to force ESPN to renegotiate their television contract for more money. Being the Swing vote to either help or hurt the SEC's power play for the playoff voting, I hope the ACC makes ESPN cough up some serious dollars to join the SEC to swing the votes back to the ESPN side of the table.

Does anyone else agree or disagree with my assessment?

Panda

Reactions: TFBaum
I was told we are going to have a super conference soon, other than the SEC , we shall see

ESPN was probably the driving force behind the Texas and Oklahoma move to the SEC. That move weakens and most probably kills the Big 12 to force a merger with the AAC. Fox had tv deals with the Big 12, the Big 10, and the Pac 12. By killing the Big 12 you weaken the Fox sports position to just the Big 12 and the Pac 12. ESPN already bought and sold off the Fox sports regional TV distributors which makes it that much tougher for Fox to compete with an enhanced ESPN. With the alliance talk, here is how things stand:

*The Big 10 and the Pac 12 are in a vulnerable position due to the SEC brand power.

*The SEC and AAC are under ESPN for television rights and if the AAC can convince the remaining Big 12 members to join them, would give the SEC a dependable league to beat up on for marketable out-of-conference games under the ESPN umbrella.

This leaves the ACC in an interesting position where they are locked into a lower-paying long-term contract with ESPN but could threaten the balance by striking a deal with the Fox sports leagues the Big 10 and the Pac 12. I wonder if the ACC will continue to push the alliance agenda in an effort to force ESPN to renegotiate their television contract for more money. Being the Swing vote to either help or hurt the SEC's power play for the playoff voting, I hope the ACC makes ESPN cough up some serious dollars to join the SEC to swing the votes back to the ESPN side of the table.

Does anyone else agree or disagree with my assessment?

Panda
I couldn't disagree more. As I've said, all this is is 3 leagues agreeing to vote a certain way in regards to the CFP. They will cannibalize each other the first chance they get. Please stop with this alliance BS

The one thing that is definitely true is that the current conference structure is going to persist. There is NO way that you are going to be kicked to the curb if you are Vandy, Wake, Oregon St, Arizona, BC, Syracuse, Purdue, Northwestern, etc.

There is ZERO CHANCE that football could break off from other sports.

There is ZERO CHANCE that we will see further realignment. Last night’s alliance announcement cements what will happen in the future. I’m not talking about 5 years into the future. I’m talking about 30 years into the future. NEVER believe a pundit who states that we aren’t done with further movement because we are. No more movement!

This is definitely the structure that we will see. The ACC, B1G and PAC are incredibly stable with this alliance and the SEC is done. SEC will DEFINITELY NOT MAKE ANY MORE MOVES. And I don’t blame them. They are incredibly stable and there’s no need for any more money. They make enough.

Unfortunately, the 8 teams remaining in the XII are finished. They just so happened to be the first teams from the first conference that is going bye-bye. They will all definitely head to the AAC.

We are definitely seeing 4 super conferences with the remaining teams from the other 4 conferences. No extra movement.

I truly believe we are done with realignment. It’s over. I’d be floored if there was anything else that happened, from a realignment perspective, in the next 50 years.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
The one thing that is definitely true is that the current conference structure is going to persist. There is NO way that you are going to be kicked to the curb if you are Vandy, Wake, Oregon St, Arizona, BC, Syracuse, Purdue, Northwestern, etc.

There is ZERO CHANCE that we will see further realignment. Last night’s alliance announcement cements what will happen in the future. I’m not talking about 5 years into the future. I’m talking about 30 years into the future. NEVER believe a pundit who states that we aren’t done with further movement because we are. No more movement!

This is definitely the structure that we will see. The ACC, B1G and PAC are incredibly stable with this alliance and the SEC is done. SEC will DEFINITELY NOT MAKE ANY MORE MOVES. And I don’t blame them. They are incredibly stable and there’s no need for any more money. They make enough.

Unfortunately, the 8 teams remaining in the XII are finished. They just so happened to be the first teams from the first conference that is going bye-bye. They will all definitely head to the AAC.

We are definitely seeing 4 super conferences with the remaining teams from the other 4 conferences. No extra movement.

I truly believe we are done with realignment. It’s over. I’d be floored if there was anything else that happened, from a realignment perspective, in the next 50 years.
See, here’s what I don’t get. If I am a Big XII school, why would I want to leave for the AAC after 2025? I’d argue that the eight remaining schools plus, say, Cincinnati and UCF (or whoever they choose to invite) would get a more lucrative contract than what the AAC could offer them. Not to mention the fact that there’d still be fewer members in the Big XII, meaning the “proverbial pie” would be split into less pieces. Besides, perhaps that’s enough to hold onto a NY6 bowl auto-bid?

I’m just not seeing the benefits of leaving the conference if no one is getting courted by other “power conferences.” Just my opinion, though.

• Haha
Reactions: WVUinColumbus
I couldn't disagree more. As I've said, all this is is 3 leagues agreeing to vote a certain way in regards to the CFP. They will cannibalize each other the first chance they get. Please stop with this alliance BS
I’m pretty sure you said the alliance was for scheduling purposes, and not until others pointed out the true purposes to vote together did you have a change of opinion.

Yep, here it is:

“SMF Rule #1 on conference expansion:

Conferences alliances are nothing. I totally hate it when I see daily conference alliance news as some cure all for what the SEC did. Its nothing. Its meaningless. Playing 1 game per year vs either the Big 12 or Pac 12 adds very close to no value.”

This link should help you keep up SMF since they don't seem to have news where you are from. This "alliance BS" was in the news cycle so it wasn't just me creating a hot topic.

Panda

I’m pretty sure you said the alliance was for scheduling purposes, and not until others pointed out the true purposes to vote together did you have a change of opinion.

Yep, here it is:

“SMF Rule #1 on conference expansion:

Conferences alliances are nothing. I totally hate it when I see daily conference alliance news as some cure all for what the SEC did. Its nothing. Its meaningless. Playing 1 game per year vs either the Big 12 or Pac 12 adds very close to no value.”
I never changed my opinon. Its nothing. Voting to restrict the SEC from having 6 teams in a 12 team playoff is nothing.

This link should help you keep up SMF since they don't seem to have news where you are from. This "alliance BS" was in the news cycle so it wasn't just me creating a hot topic.

Panda
Lol. That article was written by a Pantherlair poster I think. It insinuates there will be 1 TV contract. Newsflash: The Big Ten is about to get paid like big-time, super big-time.....and they ain't sharing with anybody.

Hoopie wisdom! Oxymoron.

Who knows how many of the Little 8 teams will be left when it comes to their next contract.

Many of those teams are talking to other conferences about membership.

The Pac-12 recently said they are reviewing expansion.

Oklahoma St, Kansas or Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech are interesting possibilities depending on whether they expand by 2 or 4 teams. They can get the Pac-12 into 4 new states and time zones.

I think ultimately you will have 4 Power Conferences (16 teams each).

The SEC is now at 16 and the Pac-12 could become the Pac-16.

Stay tuned

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Please go learn Game Theory. If you ran Pitt athletics we would be playing CMU W&J etc

See, here’s what I don’t get. If I am a Big XII school, why would I want to leave for the AAC after 2025? I’d argue that the eight remaining schools plus, say, Cincinnati and UCF (or whoever they choose to invite) would get a more lucrative contract than what the AAC could offer them. Not to mention the fact that there’d still be fewer members in the Big XII, meaning the “proverbial pie” would be split into less pieces. Besides, perhaps that’s enough to hold onto a NY6 bowl auto-bid?

I’m just not seeing the benefits of leaving the conference if no one is getting courted by other “power conferences.” Just my opinion, though.
The AAC is in a better position to expand than it is to break up. While I don’t think WVU is worth as much as we’re constantly told, I do believe they’re worth something to someone. Particularly the AAC.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I never changed my opinon. Its nothing. Voting to restrict the SEC from having 6 teams in a 12 team playoff is nothing.
You do realize that the 12 team playoff has not been voted on, and may very well get voted down because of the SEC’s move to take Texas and Oklahoma, right?

Here’s a quote from an ESPN article Pittman72 posted in another thread:

“The most immediate issue to be addressed, however, is the expansion of the College Football Playoff, with the 12-team plan designed in large part by Sankey and Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick up for a vote in September. Nearly every source ESPN spoke with on the issues said there is now significant trepidation about moving forward and that, while the plan could ultimately still pass, there's a desire to "tap the brakes" and better understand how the plan would impact leagues in the aftermath of Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC.”

So, your opinion that, “It’s nothing” isn’t a very well thought out opinion.

You do realize that the 12 team playoff has not been voted on, and may very well get voted down because of the SEC’s move to take Texas and Oklahoma, right?

Here’s a quote from an ESPN article Pittman72 posted in another thread:

“The most immediate issue to be addressed, however, is the expansion of the College Football Playoff, with the 12-team plan designed in large part by Sankey and Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick up for a vote in September. Nearly every source ESPN spoke with on the issues said there is now significant trepidation about moving forward and that, while the plan could ultimately still pass, there's a desire to "tap the brakes" and better understand how the plan would impact leagues in the aftermath of Oklahoma and Texas joining the SEC.”

So, your opinion that, “It’s nothing” isn’t a very well thought out opinion.

I do understand why the 3 other conferences would want to tap the brakes simply because they are spiteful towards the SEC. Obviously, it benefits every conference to go to 12 because of the massive $.

Although it sucks for the uncertainty of the future of WVU, it was still comical to see the SEC absolutely blindside the other 3 conferences. And then it was freakin awesome to see the 3 conferences give a big FU to the SEC.

It’s totally an “us versus them” scenario with SEC vs B1G and the other 2 lesser brothers.

I can’t get enough of conference realignment and am fascinated with how it plays out. And my school may suffer tremendously. I think it’s the “North vs South” component of it. You even see it extend into the media with guys like Staples, Finebaum, etc for the South and Rittenberg, DeCourcy and others for the North.

Awesome theater.

Reactions: HOF Coach
The AAC is in a better position to expand than it is to break up. While I don’t think WVU is worth as much as we’re constantly told, I do believe they’re worth something to someone. Particularly the AAC.
Agreed, but where I’m coming from is that, in my opinion, the Big XII + Cincinnati and UCF would fetch a bigger contract on the open market without the East Carolinas of the world dragging down their value. They’d still have to convince them to join, though, which is a completely separate equation at this point.

Agreed, but where I’m coming from is that, in my opinion, the Big XII + Cincinnati and UCF would fetch a bigger contract on the open market without the East Carolinas of the world dragging down their value. They’d still have to convince them to join, though, which is a completely separate equation at this point.
Many of the other AAC schools are in large metro areas or are situated in growing areas. You’re not going to be better off by ditching Houston and Philadelphia.

Many of the other AAC schools are in large metro areas or are situated in growing areas. You’re not going to be better off by ditching Houston and Philadelphia.
If this was ten years ago I’d agree with you, but I’m not sure that’s going to hold up moving forward in the age of streaming. Short term, I could see that being beneficial if they wanted to parlay an expansion into some sort of conference network deal. Not sure who’d be interested in that, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT