ADVERTISEMENT

This guy's take on TCU in the title game

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Remember, it was me that said it should be Bama. TCU played a very weak schedule and had a chance in their title game to leave no doubt. Just beat 3 loss Kansas State on a neutral field 18 miles from campus and there's no doubt. They lost. Alabama had 2 losses, both on the road, both on the last play and would have been a 2 TD favorite over TCU. Shoulda listened to the 🐐

Remember, it was me that said it should be Bama. TCU played a very weak schedule and had a chance in their title game to leave no doubt. Just beat 3 loss Kansas State on a neutral field 18 miles from campus and there's no doubt. They lost. Alabama had 2 losses, both on the road, both on the last play and would have been a 2 TD favorite over TCU. Shoulda listened to the 🐐
I really don't think there was much debate over the final four from the committee's perspective. They will never put a 2 loss power 5 team in over a 1 loss P5 team. If anyone knows this, it's your buddies at PSU. And this is part of the reason the WMU loss was such a backbreaker for Pitt last year.

To avoid the inevitable accusations of catering only to the elite and making fans bored or bitter at seeing the same few power programs dominate, an informal pact seems to have formed between the national media, networks and power programs (the latter because if your SEC and B1G schools and top coaches don’t want something, it won’t happen).

Small dog programs were supposedly ‘appeased’ to have ‘inclusion’ these past 2 seasons by letting TCU and Cincinnati slip into first class to be slaughtered.

But it certainly wasn’t deserved on merit. It was strictly to ward off accusations of elitism and collusion that started with (admittedly annoying) UCF incessantly whining a few years back. Most notably, it was done to avoid/minimize potential litigation down the line when the eventual break away of the top programs occurs and most programs are shut out of the big picture. The elites can correctly point out that in 2021 and 2022 TCU and Cincinnati got their shot. Heck TCU even won a game (albeit against moron Harbaugh).

It’s like a politician’s forced apology…insincere and dissatisfying for all involved.

Unfortunately for a Bama or Clemson, etc, this distasteful sham means someone certainly better and more talented needed to be sacrificed in the polls and playoff matches, in order to give the anointed mongrel of the year it’s token spot.

Fortunately for the elite gentry, this charade needed to be tolerated only until the expanded playoff starts.

To avoid the inevitable accusations of catering only to the elite and making fans bored or bitter at seeing the same few power programs dominate, an informal pact seems to have formed between the national media, networks and power programs (the latter because if your SEC and B1G schools and top coaches don’t want something, it won’t happen).

Small dog programs were supposedly ‘appeased’ to have ‘inclusion’ these past 2 seasons by letting TCU and Cincinnati slip into first class to be slaughtered.

But it certainly wasn’t deserved on merit. It was strictly to ward off accusations of elitism and collusion that started with (admittedly annoying) UCF incessantly whining a few years back. Most notably, it was done to avoid/minimize potential litigation down the line when the eventual break away of the top programs occurs and most programs are shut out of the big picture. The elites can correctly point out that in 2021 and 2022 TCU and Cincinnati got their shot. Heck TCU even won a game (albeit against moron Harbaugh).

It’s like a politician’s forced apology…insincere and dissatisfying for all involved.

Unfortunately for a Bama or Clemson, etc, this distasteful sham means someone certainly better and more talented needed to be sacrificed in the polls and playoff matches, in order to give the anointed mongrel of the year it’s token spot.

Fortunately for the elite gentry, this charade needed to be tolerated only until the expanded playoff starts.

I am no Bama fan and I love to see them left out. But when you lose your title game to 3 loss Alt-Kansas, you cant be playing your next game in the CFP. Want to make the CFP? Beat Kansas State.

Alabama wasn't any more deserving, and would have gotten their asses kicked as well.

If they were so deserving they could have won their games. Lucky they didn't make the conference championship or they'd be 3 loss Alabama.

I am no Bama fan and I love to see them left out. But when you lose your title game to 3 loss Alt-Kansas, you cant be playing your next game in the CFP. Want to make the CFP? Beat Kansas State.
Yes, you can be playing your next game in the CFP even if you lose to Kansas State in the conference championship game. They were the 3 seed remember. The bigger debate is had Bama been only a 1 loss team ... who would have gotten the 4 seed? OSU or Bama?

Reactions: FireballZ
Split the SEC up and create 12 major conferences across the country.

10 game regular schedule and only the conference champs go to the playoff.

Seems simple to me.

Speaking of Goats, how come you never respond when I ask you how your boy Hafley did this year?

Also barstool sucks.

Well this all could have been avoided by seeding tOSU 3 and TCU 4. You did not need to include Alabama. The problem is, Michigan didn't hold up their end, and USC got bounced in their Conference final. Let's face it, the two semis was as good as it gets. Unfortunately TCU completely shot their wad in that game and had nothing left.

It happens.

Reactions: NNFAN
A team they had beaten previously and were within in couple yards of doing so again Amazing with all the TCU second guessing is the fact that they beat undefeated Michigan the week before. That solidified them deserving the spot they got .... Equally Amazing is no one applying the same type of logic to Ohio State's inclusion after they got blown out (by the team that lost to undeserving TCU) in their last game at home...

Last edited:

Then actual game results mean nothing? It should always be Bama, even with 3 losses, Bama is still "better" and will likely play a better game, so even if TCU, Tulane, Cincy, UCF or Pitt go unbeaten and Bama loses 3 games, it should still and always be Bama just because we are 90% sure they are better, actual losses in actual games should not come with consequences, just WELFARE for Bama so we can have a better playoff game.

Let's just start playing the national championship on Labor Day weekend based on the power rankings.

Then we can hop in a time machine and find a better opponent for the '85 Bears. I know the Patriots deserved it based on the results of the season/playoffs, but I don't like how the championship turned out.

If this was the old BCS, it would have been Georgia vs Michigan. Was Michigan significantly better than TCU? Because once upon a time, about 11 days ago...

Reactions: Pitt79
Let's just start playing the national championship on Labor Day weekend based on the power rankings.
This is what I've been thinking? Maybe give Bama an automatic bid in perpetuity, and then vote with a ballot that only contains tOSU, Georgia, Clemson and of course Notre Dame for the opponent. Then the rest of the season, if they have it, can be meaningless exhibitions and anyone who's already a sure NFL draft pick can opt out.

So now SMF is defending his opinions with Tik Tok videos? I wouldn't be surprised if someone in China drains his bank account within 72 hours.

So now SMF is defending his opinions with Tik Tok videos? I wouldn't be surprised if someone in China drains his bank account within 72 hours.

I just found out that I am inheriting a Nigerian prince's fortune and have pledged it to Alliance 412 after watching the new video today.

Reactions: JS School

If that's the case, why even have a regular season? Because you're basically saying that what happens on the field during the season doesn't matter.

I'd counter that TCU deserved to be in the playoff, but that the overrating of the Big 10 is what allowed TCU to get to the final. Perhaps should have been UGA-MICH and TCU-? (Bama? Clemson? USC?)

If that's the case, why even have a regular season? Because you're basically saying that what happens on the field during the season doesn't matter.

It does matter but you cant lose to Kansas State with Alabama sitting there with 2 losses on the last plays of the game. Common sense should have prevailed.

TCU 12-1
Alabama 10-2

The teams are close in record, TCU had a chance on the last day to punch their ticket but failed. Bama similarly failed but would be viewed as a 2 TD favorite over TCU. You have to go with the better team.

• Haha
Did you see TCU lose by 58?
What bearing did the outcome have on the decision to include them in the four team tournament? Then they beat the defending champion. Just because they crapped the bead in the final doesn't mean they weren't deserving.

I know you're just trying to incite comments but you're trying to tell us that a team that couldn't even win it's own division should have been in the CFP. It's a pretty incredible leap. Might as well say Penn State should have been there. Same credentials, essentially, but they were in the conference that had the most teams in the CFP.

It does matter but you cant lose to Kansas State with Alabama sitting there with 2 losses on the last plays of the game. Common sense should have prevailed.

TCU 12-1
Alabama 10-2

The teams are close in record, TCU had a chance on the last day to punch their ticket but failed. Bama similarly failed but would be viewed as a 2 TD favorite over TCU. You have to go with the better team.
Tcu proved they belonged by housing Michigan
Anyone suggesting they didn’t belong for getting destroyed by tcu ?

So, the decision should be based on who would be "viewed" as a favorite? And by who is "viewed" as the better team, actual game results be damned? This sport sucks.

That has nothing to do with the games played up until that point.
Exactly, if BETTER TEAM Bama wants into the playoff, be BETTER and win actual games that you lost. The Better Team being left out of a playoff is not new in sports history, it's normal and its exactly how things should be. who will provide a better game in the playoffs should never be a criterion.

I despise the system that made it so that only about 12-15 programs at most and realistically only 6 are going to be legitimately in play to be champion.

But I also don’t like the cynical condescension that occurred in elevating TCU and Cincinnati into the playoffs the last two seasons. Anyone not mentally challenged knows their talent, schedule and in TCU case inability to even dominate in its own conf champ game ruled them out intellectually vs far better teams in the poll around them. They were voted up and into the playoff in response to criticisms of the sport being so elitist and top-heavy. But the the thing is, it is DESIGNED to be elitist and top-heavy.

You have schools, networks and national media in cahoots, accepting of legalized cheating (NIL = corrupt pay for play) and looking the other way for violations like tampering, continued under the table payola, etc … all with the DESIGN to make sure there are only a few really great powers that dominate. It’s on PURPOSE. So to eliminate one from the mix arbitrarily to give a token mongrel an undeserved slot is two wrongs making a bigger wrong.

Hey believe me, I’m happy for TCU’s fans, I’d take the charity of a phony playoff berth in a nanosecond without an ounce of guilt. There’s no shame in getting gutted by Georgia in the game, because, again, the system is DESIGNED so that teams like Georgia are a 52 times better than teams like TCU. That’s The bigger wrong.

So what’s the answer? I’d like to see an FBS league made up of the “P6” of sorts (a different thread could argue what G5 schools would be worthy of being in the P6) where there are true substantial but not preposterous salaries for players, governed by a cap, rational rules for transfers, a cartel-like agreement regarding coaching salaries and tougher buyout clauses, rigorous enforcement of under table payola, tampering, revenue and TV sharing. Yeah, in other words the NFL, only with college programs. I think it could be fantastic and a money printing machine like the NFL, and not the untenable joke the sport is rapidly transcending into.

Reactions: PantherDDS
But I also don’t like the cynical condescension that occurred in elevating TCU and Cincinnati into the playoffs the last two seasons. Anyone not mentally challenged knows their talent, schedule and in TCU case inability to even dominate in its own conf champ game ruled them out intellectually vs far better teams in the poll around them... Did you miss the outcome of the game with the undefeated Big 10 champs this year? Same Big 10 champ that beat two final top 10 teams (aka those 'far better' teams around them in the poll)....but then again, this is just one Special Olympian's opinion.

But I also don’t like the cynical condescension that occurred in elevating TCU and Cincinnati into the playoffs the last two seasons. Anyone not mentally challenged knows their talent, schedule and in TCU case inability to even dominate in its own conf champ game ruled them out intellectually vs far better teams in the poll around them... Did you miss the outcome of the game with the undefeated Big 10 champs this year? Same Big 10 champ that beat two final top 10 teams (aka those 'far better' teams around them in the poll)....but then again, this is just one Special Olympian's opinion.

TCU got lucky all year. Michigan was no different. They failed got 0 points from 2 drives inside their 2 yard line and threw 2 pick 6's. That's a 28 point swing right there, 42 if you consider they may have scored TDs on the pick 6 drives.

TCU got lucky all year. Michigan was no different. They failed got 0 points from 2 drives inside their 2 yard line and threw 2 pick 6's. That's a 28 point swing right there, 42 if you consider they may have scored TDs on the pick 6 drives.
yes, the they got lucky all year playoff determination and or worth standard...thanks for that...if schitt were pisss you wouldn't need an azzhole...

Seems to me TCU was very unlucky at the end of the Big 12 championship would you not agree?

So what? In all sports, it's sometimes lots of pure luck that puts a lesser team at the top of the standings over teams that are better than them, it's a normal occurrence in sports, and totally justified that the lucky team gets in over the better team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT