ADVERTISEMENT

This is your (our) chance to reinvent Pitt basketball

They either need a guy who can recruit nationally (unlikely) or a guy that can recruit the mid-Atlantic very well.

They also need to decide if they are going to play the game or stay on the sideline.

Not saying what the right answer is on that but In today's basketball you have to be able to roll around in the mud a little.

Uptempo with inferior talent guarantees you lose to those with better talent. If i want uptempo I will go watch the AAU crap basketball.

The problem with a defensive style is that you hit one hot team in the tourney and younare done. Think Pitt vs Shelvin Mack.
Rick pitino not pleased. Nor is Calhoun and Ollie that road defense to their last two titles. Did you notice what uconn did to vaunted Kentucky a few years back. The worse defensive team to win the ncaa was 09 unc at 21 de in Kenpom. Gotta have a really good offense but no one wins it with a poor or average D. Msu this year was first in offensive but 54 in defense in Kenpom. Middle Tn exposed them.

Rick pitino not pleased. Nor is Calhoun and Ollie that road defense to their last two titles. Did you notice what uconn did to vaunted Kentucky a few years back. The worse defensive team to win the ncaa was 09 unc at 21 de in Kenpom. Gotta have a really good offense but no one wins it with a poor or average D. Msu this year was first in offensive but 54 in defense in Kenpom. Middle Tn exposed them.
If you are going to win with offense, you better have guys who can put the ball in the hoop on a regular basis. We don't have one of those, let alone more than one.

The problem with a defensive style is that you hit one hot team in the tourney and younare done. Think Pitt vs Shelvin Mack.

Any hot team or hot player can sink anyone. It's the nature of the one and done. And that particular game was 71-70 so it's not like they got blown out of the gym. Had the dumbest last 2 seconds in perhaps the entire NCAA Tourney history.

If you are going to win with offense, you better have guys who can put the ball in the hoop on a regular basis. We don't have one of those, let alone more than one.
Only team that was a total unstoppable o
only 09 unc did. Otherwise haven't seen another team that cannot be stopped.
Any hot team or hot player can sink anyone. It's the nature of the one and done. And that particular game was 71-70 so it's not like they got blown out of the gym. Had the dumbest last 2 seconds in perhaps the entire NCAA Tourney history.
and that butler team road defensive to the title game where uconn held them to 41 points on 20some percent shooting.

Having good D is good. But you have to be able to score also. Slowing down to a crawl and sucking the life out of the game doesn't lead to championships.

Without looking at all. I bet Pitt loses the majority of the games in the tourney where an opponent scores 70+ points. They simply can't keep up in scoring from my viewpoint.

Bingo. Shelvin Mack. Dwayne Wade. Jamal Crawford. That is the problem with the defense first, second and third philosophy. First of all, come tourney time, everyone ramps it up on defense, secondly and most importantly, sometimes good players make shots. If you have no one capable or willing to take those shots, you are done.

Without looking at all. I bet Pitt loses the majority of the games in the tourney where an opponent scores 70+ points. They simply can't keep up in scoring from my viewpoint.

Well it is funny this year, we lost all but one game when WE didn't score over 70 points. We had a lousy defensive team this year. But we could score. It was during the end of the season (including when we played you) that the focus on defense really started affecting our offense.

Then there was the tourney game. Egads.

Bingo. Shelvin Mack. Dwayne Wade. Jamal Crawford. That is the problem with the defense first, second and third philosophy. First of all, come tourney time, everyone ramps it up on defense, secondly and most importantly, sometimes good players make shots. If you have no one capable or willing to take those shots, you are done.
Exactly. You have to be able to outscore an opponent. Good defense is great but if someone is hot it doesn't matter how good your defense is frankly. You have to be able to counter.

You can win a lot of games with defense but if you cannot score you are going to end up losing when it counts.

Virginia was cited but they also have a bona fide star scorer in Brogdon. And who was the other guy who graduated last year? They were scorers.

Pitt sometimes plays slow on purpose on offense which at times doesn't let a star play with the flow of the game and stay hot.

Julius Page is the last player I can remember from Pitt who could straight score. (From the perimeter)

I think there was one other after him but I forget his name.

That works at UNC where they can get the very top recruits. That absolutely will not work at Pitt. Pitt was hugely successful in the Big East by being different. Yes it was tight defense, etc, but the key was it was different. If Pitt tries to be like UNC or Duke, by trying to out-recruiting them they will fail. They need to find a different niche and style. A la Virginia.

Doesn't work when programs like Providence get stars like Dunn. They are out there. You need to be snagging those recruits. And, you need to have a style that makes offensive stars want to come and think it can get them to the NBA by letting them show off their talents.

Doesn't work when programs like Providence get stars like Dunn. They are out there. You need to be snagging those recruits. And, you need to have a style that makes offensive stars want to come and think it can get them to the NBA by letting them show off their talents.

You are holding up Providence as a model? A once every 10 years good program?

You probably don't recall that Pitt was in the top echelon of the best conference in basketball for about a decade, by using a formula: older kids, tight defense, rebounding. I'm not saying that's the only formula, but trying to play another programs game, when they have advantages in that game, is not a formula for success.

Reactions: freddietee511
What did Pitt win? What players went top 1o from pitt?

Serious questions.

Pitt snagging recruits like Dunn makes you a borderline final 4 team. You can weather the storm of a offensive barrage by a great player with a great offensive talent of your own. Taking the air out of the ball does not give you that.

Pitt this year I think might have had 3 of their lowest scoring games I can remember.

That is not good.

Serious questions.

Pitt snagging recruits like Dunn makes you a borderline final 4 team. You can weather the storm of a offensive barrage by a great player with a great offensive talent of your own. Taking the air out of the ball does not give you that.

Pitt this year I think might have had 3 of their lowest scoring games I can remember.

That is not good.
Pitt won several Big East Championships, when winning the Big East was tougher than winning the NCAAT. And I have no idea what top 10 you are talking about. If that has to do with the NBA, I suggest you are on the wrong board. One of the biggest problems with the NCAA and in particular it's TV coverage is it's obsession with the NBA. Every time the NCAA makes a move to make it's game more like the NBA it's attendance ticks down another point.

Serious questions.

That is not good.
Pitt was the third-highest scoring team in the ACC this year.

21-1 when scoring 65 or more points.

0-11 when scoring 64 of fewer.

You're thinking of Pitt pre-2016.

If you hit a hot team in the tourney PERIOD, you are done. Doesn't matter what style you play. You make it sound like Pitt is the only team to lose in the tourney. How is Michigan St or Arizona doing?

Pitt won several Big East Championships, when winning the Big East was tougher than winning the NCAAT. And I have no idea what top 10 you are talking about. If that has to do with the NBA, I suggest you are on the wrong board. One of the biggest problems with the NCAA and in particular it's TV coverage is it's obsession with the NBA. Every time the NCAA makes a move to make it's game more like the NBA it's attendance ticks down another point.

If winning the Big East was tougher than winning the NCAAT, why did Pitt never come even remotely close to winning the NCAAT?

Reactions: pittman71
Exactly. You have to be able to outscore an opponent. Good defense is great but if someone is hot it doesn't matter how good your defense is frankly. You have to be able to counter.

You can win a lot of games with defense but if you cannot score you are going to end up losing when it counts.

Virginia was cited but they also have a bona fide star scorer in Brogdon. And who was the other guy who graduated last year? They were scorers.

Pitt sometimes plays slow on purpose on offense which at times doesn't let a star play with the flow of the game and stay hot.

Julius Page is the last player I can remember from Pitt who could straight score. (From the perimeter)

I think there was one other after him but I forget his name.

Julius Page? Helluva athlete, but I wouldn't call him a scorer. Are you sure you aren't thinking about Carl Krauser?

The 2010-2011 team was probably Jamie's most balanced offensively, and probably the best equipped to make a tourney run. They were deep, athletic, had a few players that you could call scorers. Ashton Gibbs, Brad Wanamaker, Gilbert Brown

Julius Page? Helluva athlete, but I wouldn't call him a scorer. Are you sure you aren't thinking about Carl Krauser?

The 2010-2011 team was probably Jamie's most balanced offensively, and probably the best equipped to make a tourney run. They were deep, athletic, had a few players that you could call scorers. Ashton Gibbs, Brad Wanamaker, Gilbert Brown
Page scored over 1,500 points while he was at Pitt & that was during an era when the team maybe averaged 65 points a game. Page wasn't the shooter that Gibbs, but he could keep defenses honest with his three point shooting & also have a good midrange game to go with his ability to get to the hoop.

If we look back, Young would probably be defined as a classic scorer because any where that he caught the ball there was a good chance that he could score. He was good enough shooting 3's that his old school pump fake would cripple his defender & let him drive to the hoop. His midrange baseline jumper was nearly automatic.

Good points. Page also logged a lot of minutes from day one.

You are absolutely on the money about Sam Young. In his junior and senior seasons, Sam Young was without a doubt the best classic scorer of Howland/Dixon era. I started to mention him but backed out just because I don't know how people view Sam. His transformed and expanded his game perhaps more than any other player while he was at Pitt. There was a huge difference in the way he was used, and also in his skill set from when he was an underclassman.

Reactions: pittman71
If you hit a hot team in the tourney PERIOD, you are done. Doesn't matter what style you play. You make it sound like Pitt is the only team to lose in the tourney. How is Michigan St or Arizona doing?
Seen plenty of teams hit a hot player and they countered with a hot player of their own.

I mean, if you are satisfied with the current state of Pitt basketball then by all means, stay the same. See how that nets you recruits in the ACC and down the road.

I just think Pitt needs a new style to draw better and more athletic recruits that shows a clear path to the NBA.

I see tons of recruits who are good choose colleges over Pitt that shouldn't happen if Pitt is an upper tier program because what a lot of what blue bloods have that scares off some recruits (lack of playing time), Pitt doesn't have.

You have Diallo who would rather play 10-15 mins a game (if that) instead of go to pitt and star. The Ellensons, Dunns, Bentils, etcs who choose regional teams.

Most players aren't choosing Pitt because their style isn't very conducive to get to the NBA easily.

Opening up the style would do wonders.

Reactions: damase2331

Page was awesome. One of my favorite Pitt players. Sam Young was cool to but he showed no mercy in pick up games and made me feel sad. Lol

Getting a coach who will play a more up tempo, fun, recruit oriented system. For too long, Pitt has played a defensive, low scoring, never going to go far in the tourney style. With the right coach and system you can draw recruits from anywhere.

I hope for Pitt that the next coach can be great for the fans.
"Pitt has played a defensive, low scoring, never going to go far in the tourney style "... ya mean like Wisconsin?

Reactions: Fredact
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT