ADVERTISEMENT

This season are we a definite NCAA Tournament team with Cam Johnson here?

I’d still say not quite, but they certainly would be if Zion Williamson was on the team, as some on here laughingly speculated after Pitt hired Capel.

with Luther and Johnson, for sure.

Absolutely! Johnson would have been alternately killing the Cuse zone from the elbows and foul line when Chuku, the Cuse stayed under the hoop and then opening up inside at the basket scoring for Luther and/or Brown when Chuku would come forward to defend the Johnson jumper threat.

Cam would have been a great player on this team. But saying we'd be an NCAAT team with him? Possibly but not likely. NIT would be more likely with Cam here. I don't see how he'd add 5 wins to our resume to make the NCAA's. But it could happen if he caught fire a few times.

Cam is playing at a much higher level than Luther. It isn’t even close. Johnson is averaging 16 pts, 6 rebounds, and 2 assists in 27 mins per game.

Cam is playing at a much higher level than Luther. It isn’t even close. Johnson is averaging 16 pts, 6 rebounds, and 2 assists in 27 mins per game.
If he is averaging that for Pitt, Xavier and Trey average less points, and the impact probably isn't as large as some may think. His 16 points, if applied to Pitt, would probably be a net gain of 3-5 points, and maybe a few less turnovers from Xavier because he probably plays a few fewer minutes.

If he is averaging that for Pitt, Xavier and Trey average less points, and the impact probably isn't as large as some may think. His 16 points, if applied to Pitt, would probably be a net gain of 3-5 points, and maybe a few less turnovers from Xavier because he probably plays a few fewer minutes.
No - that would mean less minutes for guys who aren’t legitimate ACC level players (Davis, Ellison, Chuk, etc.)

Reactions: pittjas
No - that would mean less minutes for guys who aren’t legitimate ACC level players (Davis, Ellison, Chuk, etc.)
We're probably both right, but only one guy can shoot per possession, and again after an offensive rebound, and the guys you list don't get a very high percentage of shots, and I am talking about shots more than minutes. I would agree with you on minutes. I think I am right more on number of shots taken.

They might be tournament team without him. I actually think Cam is the better player...but Luther would have helped and played a more important role on this team.

I say yes.
First ... to answer your question, I believe it’s certainly possible, if not probable, especially if you add Luther to the mix.

Still, if you do add Johnston, this becomes something of a different team, and one can’t always know for sure if this means they are a better team.

This leads to the the real point I’d like to make with reply. For once, I like this team the way they are. And this comes from someone who still can’t quite get over Rod Brookin flunking out in 1988, and what that team would have been with him.

But for this particular team, and the current state of the program, I’d rather not think about what could have been, and only what will be going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT