ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Slovis this year?

I suspect there will be a noticeable drop in mobility from Kenny. Pickett rushed for 13 td's the last 2 seasons, and teams had to account for him, especially inside the 10. I don't see Slovis contributing much in that area, if at all.

I suspect there will be a noticeable drop in mobility from Kenny. Pickett rushed for 13 td's the last 2 seasons, and teams had to account for him, especially inside the 10. I don't see Slovis contributing much in that area, if at all.
This is my only trepidation with Slovis. Hopefully he is more mobile than his file shows. There is also the option of bringing in Patti when inside the 10 yard line.

Definitely concerned about the arm. A lot of USC fans are convinced it's dead. And then just the transition in general: We all thought Yellen looked good against USC and would come here and kill it. He did not.

We'll see. I just want him to be efficient.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Definitely concerned about the arm. A lot of USC fans are convinced it's dead. And then just the transition in general: We all thought Yellen looked good against USC and would come here and kill it. He did not.

He won't be Pickett, and we won't have Addison. But like you said, if he can keep the turnovers and mistakes to a minimum and make some downfield throws, and if our new OC builds his playbook to the strengths of the personnel he inherited, we should have another good season.

But what you also may see, is Slovis creating more time in the pocket vs Kenny taking off. So there maybe a tradeoff that isn't so bad.

USC fans thinking he has a dead arm, and a mortician with a first post as OP. What are the odds?

USC fans thinking he has a dead arm, and a mortician with a first post as OP. What are the odds?

I mean, Pitt fans have had some pretty decent intel on players who have left here. I don't think they were saying it to be dicks or anything. If you don't want to believe them, that's your prerogative. It's not like he spurned them; he was benched. I don't get why everything has to be HOO-RAH! with no objectivity. I didn't predict he would be a disaster; I stated that those are a few concerns I have. We might have the most sensitive fan base in the country, but I guess a pro sports town with OSU, PSU, and WVU all so close will do that.

• Haha
I mean, Pitt fans have had some pretty decent intel on players who have left here. I don't think they were saying it to be dicks or anything. If you don't want to believe them, that's your prerogative. It's not like he spurned them; he was benched. I don't get why everything has to be HOO-RAH! with no objectivity. I didn't predict he would be a disaster; I stated that those are a few concerns I have. We might have the most sensitive fan base in the country, but I guess a pro sports town with OSU, PSU, and WVU all so close will do that.
You might be the sensitive one. I was pointing out that this thread was the OP’s first post. Your comment was just a funny addition.

Lighten up.

• Love
I'm not sure what the magic is behind Slovis. Patti is mobile and has a decent arm. Why is it that Slovis is crowned the "starter"? He stunk at the spring game.

It’s pessimistic…but fair…to have curiosity of what Slovis will be, especially with the bitter-beer aftertaste of Browne still not quite gone. Luckily Patti is a viable alternative. Last time the alternative was (ugh) Da Nooch.

I am rooting for Nick Patti to have a great season. He has been loyal to Pitt, been a great teammate, and paid his dues. Heartbreaking that he lost his opportunity to shine during the bowl game last year. We would have won with Patti. He has the experience and mobility. He deserves first crack as the starter.

I know he's hurt (or at least was... not sure where he is at now), but I feel like Yarnell is the forgotten man with Patti/Slovis and then Minchey coming in. Narduzzi basically hinted toward the coaching staff really liking him in practice last year. He said something along the lines of Kenny being special and them thinking they have another special guy on the practice squad.

I think his arm is strong enough and he can read defenses but until I see him scramble out of a blitz I will hold my assessment.
He has attempted nearly 1,000 passes over his career. I think he has scrambled out of a blitz a time or 2. Just watch his film at USC.

If Slovis' arm is dead he won't even have a chance at winning the job. I think he has a good chance to be in position for a very nice bounce back, especially with a guy like Patti also pushing for the starting job.

i think i speak for all pitt fans when i say that all we want is a REAL QB Competition where both players get a fair chance to win it.

There were times in the past where you had the spidey sense that the guy who started and stunk, did so because there was no choice, there was nothing close to decent behind him and/or they were holding back a freshman that they wanted to redshirt, or whatever. I could understand that with Browne and with Sunseri. But this year, I don’t think they’d just hand the keys to Slovis out of desperation. I hope not, anyway.

Patti deserves a fair chance to compete for the starting job and if Slovis beats him out at camp so be it.
A good problem to have cuase i think we are going to be okay with either of the the two.

He will be fine. I expect him to grade out about where he has all 3 years in college, which is as a solid starter.
I don’t expect him to turn the corner and become some high end QB. Chances are if you were going to do that, it wouldn’t be your 4th year in college.

I'm not sure what the magic is behind Slovis. Patti is mobile and has a decent arm. Why is it that Slovis is crowned the "starter"? He stunk at the spring game.

I don’t think he looked bad in the spring game. He didn’t really push the ball down field and he made some dangerous reads.

But those have been the two criticisms of him at USC. And even with those faults, he still managed to be solid. And he looked solid enough in the spring.

He will be fine. I expect him to grade out about where he has all 3 years in college, which is as a solid starter.
I don’t expect him to turn the corner and become some high end QB. Chances are if you were going to do that, it wouldn’t be your 4th year in college.

Usually there is a jump up in performance for a QB in their fourth season.

We literally just came off a season where our 5th year QB showed a near-180 improvement in his final season after merely being serviceable in his initial seasons. I’ll grant what Pickett did is going to be more the exception than rule. But it certainly gives hope that this year’s QB (and that might be Slovis, Patti or both) can show marked improvement as well.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
No there isn’t. By that point you are what you are.

Someone should tell Burrow and Pickett that sticking around doesn't pay off...🙄

An experienced Senior QB is one of most important things to have on a roster. Like I said, I'm not going to list all the Sr QBs who play improved in their last season- but often it does.

Last edited:
None of us knows how Slovis is going to look in camp or at the start of the season, but if he is really good, it shouldn't be a surprise. He's had enough big time success that it won't be stretch at all. He did make some bad decisions in the spring game, but its a small sample size.

I really thought Patti looked good on the bowl game TD drive in which he got hurt. He looked quick, both on his feet and with his reads, and throws a good ball. I'd feel very comfortable if he starts the game against WVU.

My fear is that Slovis will win the starting job, struggle to start, and by the time they switch to Patti, we are 0-2. I'm not predicting this, but its a scenario that I can see happening.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Slovis had 4 pro wideouts to throw to while at USC.
If he plays like his freshman year we should have a pretty good year.

My concern is USC has a lot more talent than we do up and down our roster. Yet, Slovis didn’t win there.

When you have that ‘it” factor with all that talent to work with. You win a lot of games. He didn’t

Last edited:
  • Haha
I
My fear is that Slovis will win the starting job, struggle to start, and by the time they switch to Patti, we are 0-2. I'm not predicting this, but its a scenario that I can see happening.
yeah it’s a possibility, we have to hope there is a legit competition. Though I suspect Slovis is already winner. But if in the coming weeks that Patti shows to be appreciably better, I hope they don’t hesitate to start Patti. Everyone can argue to the contrary but it pretty much trashes the season if we start 0-2. This isn’t a season where we were just hoping to scrape together enough wins for the Compass Bowl, we have high expectations.

• Haha
How can USC have such a poor OL?

Slovis had 4 pro wideouts to throw to while at USC.
If he plays like his freshman year we should have a pretty good year.

My concern is USC has a lot more talent than we do up and down our roster. Yet, Slovis didn’t win there.

When you have that it factor with all that talent to work with. You win a lot of games. He didn’t

Are you sure about that? USC was an one dimensional and everyone knew it.

Someone should tell Burrow and Pickett that sticking around doesn't pay off...🙄

An experienced Senior QB is one of most important things to have on a roster. Like I said, I'm not going to list all the Sr QBs who play improved in their last season- but often it does.

not often doesn’t. The sample size is just big.

We literally just came off a season where our 5th year QB showed a near-180 improvement in his final season after merely being serviceable in his initial seasons. I’ll grant what Pickett did is going to be more the exception than rule. But it certainly gives hope that this year’s QB (and that might be Slovis, Patti or both) can show marked improvement as well.

Of course. It absolutely can happen.
But a betting man would probably bet on the more likely scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT