ADVERTISEMENT

Thug

Banning the use of the “warriors” surname is really dumb though. No one thinks exclusively of Native Americans when they hear that word.

Agree with this. Replacement of any Native American imagery with something more generic was all that was needed.

Still waiting for other "anti PC culture" people to respond to my question.

Why is empathy for your fellow human less important than your ability to say a hurtful word?

Reactions: CMUandPitt
Agree with this. Replacement of any Native American imagery with something more generic was all that was needed.

I agree with this...Warriors is not IMO a reference to Native Americans.
Compared to St. John's and also St. Bonaventure, Marquette's problem
pales in comparison.
St. John's was the Redmen; now are the Red Storm.
St. Bonaventure was the Brown Indians. Now there's one worth talking
about LOL. They weren't just Indians, but were the Brown Indians.
They are now the Bonnies..

Last edited:
Still waiting for other "anti PC culture" people to respond to my question.

Why is empathy for your fellow human less important than your ability to say a hurtful word?

Where does it stop? Do we begin to just ban every word that might have a possible connotations to them?

Duzz's depth chart was the only thing offensive to the guys who are no longer on the team.

Where does it stop? Do we begin to just ban every word that might have a possible connotations to them?

Duzz's depth chart was the only thing offensive to the guys who are no longer on the team.

Why trot out the slippery slope argument? We don't have to figure out where it stops, we only have to decide this isn't acceptable.

Just follow coach's lead here. He said something shitty. He was educated on the topic and reminded how the men he leads are affected by what he said. He apologized. Steve Adams did something similar a few years back, calling Golden State's guards "quick little monkeys." He apologized, said he didn't realize the phrase's connotations in the U.S., and everyone moved on because he was an adult who owned it instead of going into a tailspin about PC culture.

This process isn't that hard--the worst outcome is someone has to apologize to a small group for saying something shitty.

Anyone remember all the people here making comments about the PSU players getting letters about cutting their hair? And how that was because central PA and PSU fans are so racist?

Anyone wanna bet that there’s some crossover and the same ones making fun of PSU are now defending Narduzzi’s use of the word thug?

There was a time that word didn’t have racial overtones. I don’t know when/why/how that changed but it did.

Reactions: Ski11585

I mean, this is a slippery slope argument here and your use of "them" is, IMO, a bit telling. But I'm inclined to say that we should always treat people with empathy and respect. I certainly fail a lot, but if a minority or a marginalized person tells me I'm doing something offensive, I'm not going to keep doing it because I want to.

And enabler u fans who came on here defending enabler u when those letters were sent out who are now posting how wrong this is!

Anyone remember all the people here making comments about the PSU players getting letters about cutting their hair? And how that was because central PA and PSU fans are so racist?

Anyone wanna bet that there’s some crossover and the same ones making fun of PSU are now defending Narduzzi’s use of the word thug?

There was a time that word didn’t have racial overtones. I don’t know when/why/how that changed but it did.

I’m gonna get my popcorn ready

while chuckling at the Bernie Bro turned heel

DY7XL3QVoAAaPkU.jpg

he was also against marriage equality. things change. people change...at least for the non idiots.

How do you know he's changed his view? Anything recent that tells us otherwise?

Be careful labeling people "idiots" just because they don't share the same view on the topic. That is very insensitive and mean spirited, which should not be tolerated in today's environment.... Show respect to others even though you may be liberal minded...

How do you know he's changed his view? Anything recent that tells us otherwise?

Be careful labeling people "idiots" just because they don't share the same view on the topic. That is very insensitive and mean spirited, which should not be tolerated in today's environment.... Show respect to others even though you may be liberal minded...

gonna go out on a limb and say he has.

I mean, this is a slippery slope argument here and your use of "them" is, IMO, a bit telling. But I'm inclined to say that we should always treat people with empathy and respect. I certainly fail a lot, but if a minority or a marginalized person tells me I'm doing something offensive, I'm not going to keep doing it because I want to.

Whom/what do you think I'm referring to when I said "them?" I used the word "them" for the actual words, not people.

If you thought I was referring to a group of people or race, you're grossly mistaken.

You're correct in saying everyone should treat every individual with empathy and respect - that is the golden rule. However, to say that a group of football players are "thugs" because they play cheap (they hit after the whistle, they taunt, they peel back block) that is somehow offensive? Some players play like thugs - see Bill Romanowski, Albert Haynesworth, Jack Tatum, Conrad Dobler, etc.. I respect them as players, but they had a style about them that often crossed the line.

he was also against marriage equality. things change. people change...at least for the non idiots.

gonna go out on a limb and say he has.

Do you really believe a politician is going to change his critical views, values, etc..????

Let's put it this way - I have 1 close friend and 1 relative who both serve as secret serviceman. Both have held the DC detail. One currently does. I don't care if it's Obama, Trump, Bush, Clinton, etc.. They'll all tell you they're quite often different people in private than they are public.

Just by happenchance, I was watching Halloween Havoc '96 last night (I accept your boredom condolences). Harlem Heat (an all-black tag team) referred to The Outsiders (an all-white tag team) as thugs. Just found it funny, given the discussions on this board as of late.

Reactions: Makaveli1971
Do you really believe a politician is going to change his critical views, values, etc..????

Let's put it this way - I have 1 close friend and 1 relative who both serve as secret serviceman. Both have held the DC detail. One currently does. I don't care if it's Obama, Trump, Bush, Clinton, etc.. They'll all tell you they're quite often different people in private than they are public.

no idea your point. politicians change their minds daily on issues. it's literally happening right in front of your face the past 2 weeks.

You can't beat old school WCW wrestling!!! Whooo!!!

Haha. I actually enjoyed it more before it got huge. Like up until early 1996ish. I couldn't take every week ending with 25 guys in the ring and no match ever ending cleanly (when you give Hogan too much creative control and bring in Vince Russo, I guess shit happens). But late 80s/early90s WCW was the shit.

I forget which WCW PPV I was watching a few months ago... man, 75% of the audience was straight inbred, lol. I mean, the hills had eyes, noses, ears, mouths, and everything in between. I guess that is when it was more southern/territorial.

Last edited:
So now this word is not PC to use? PN was criticised for saying that some teams play like thugs? Well excuse me... some teams DO play like thugs. I wasn't aware that this word was racial.
Is gangster bad? Is Al Capone still a gangster? Do we say he's legally challenged?

The point is - if you believe these politicians are changing their personal views, you're sadly naive.

"personal views," is far different than changing your mind if you want to use the word "thug." think of all the words we used to say as kids that you'd never utter these days.

but even personal views change pretty regularly. for most of them, their views change the minute a lobbyist sends them a check.

People use words differently for a variety of reasons but the word's true meaning never changes.

Calling someone a snowflake, for instance. We all know what the meaning of the word is but it is used as a demeaning stereotype. Calling a black person a "jogger" is a racist code word. I think "thug" took on some of the traits of a code word but the word is also used for stereotyping. We've just accepted the usage of the word without thinking much about what it really means or how it's perceived.[/QUOTE]
What if he's jogging? Can we say runner? Wait, that doesn't sound good either.

People use words differently for a variety of reasons but the word's true meaning never changes.

Calling someone a snowflake, for instance. We all know what the meaning of the word is but it is used as a demeaning stereotype. Calling a black person a "jogger" is a racist code word. I think "thug" took on some of the traits of a code word but the word is also used for stereotyping. We've just accepted the usage of the word without thinking much about what it really means or how it's perceived.
What if he's jogging? Can we say runner? Wait, that doesn't sound good either.[/QUOTE]

Really?

Just by happenchance, I was watching Halloween Havoc '96 last night (I accept your boredom condolences). Harlem Heat (an all-black tag team) referred to The Outsiders (an all-white tag team) as thugs. Just found it funny, given the discussions on this board as of late.

Oddly enough, Booker T once called Hulk Hogan the N word on Nitro.

How about this:
1. don't use the word thug because it is viewed as disrespectful by a significant portion of the population.
2. don't fly the confederate flag because it is viewed as disrespectful by a significant portion of the population.
3. don't kneel during the national anthem because it is viewed as disrespectful by a significant portion of the population?

The point is - if you believe these politicians are changing their personal views, you're sadly naive.
Not sure I can buy this point of view..
I recall reading numerous articles how Reagan's perspectives and politics changed dramatically during his political career.. My feeling is we all grow, and change.. I think that's healthy..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT