ADVERTISEMENT

Tino Sunseri...

Sarge25

Freshman
Aug 18, 2017
was not Dan Marino, but was better than a lot of QB's who have started at Pitt over the past 27 years. I think when trying to compare crap qb's to Pitt qb's, we might want to use a different measuring stick.

Better than:
Maxx Browne
Chad Voytik
Trey Anderson
Pat Bostick
Kevan Smith
David Priestly
Matt Lytle
John Ryan
Ken Ferguson

Not better than:
Nate Peterman
Tom Savage
Tyler Palko
Rod Rutherford
Alex Van Pelt

About the same as:
Bill Stull
John Turman
Pete Gonzalez

was not Dan Marino, but was better than a lot of QB's who have started at Pitt over the past 27 years. I think when trying to compare crap qb's to Pitt qb's, we might want to use a different measuring stick.

Better than:
Maxx Browne
Chad Voytik
Trey Anderson
Pat Bostick
Kevan Smith
David Priestly
Matt Lytle
John Ryan
Ken Ferguson

Not better than:
Nate Peterman
Tom Savage
Tyler Palko
Rod Rutherford
Alex Van Pelt

About the same as:
Bill Stull
John Turman
Pete Gonzalez
The stat about Tino never leading a team from behind in the 2nd half to victory in any of his 30 or so career starts tells the story about him. He wasn't a terrible QB, he just didn't have "it". You will also recall how terrible his pocket awareness was. Legendarily bad.

I remember hearing once that Tino's full name was, Santino Tartaruga Sunseri.

Fitting.

Last edited:
You guys are a trip with the hate towards tino. Ya David Priestly was better like anybody outside of a long standing Pitt fan knows who he is. Pete who only played 1 year is better than a 3 year starter who completed over 60# of his passes all 3...and now also Bill Stull is better? c'mon man....let your hate for underachieving as a team go and look at what you're saying.

Stull and Tino were the same guy.
If Gonzalez had more than 1 year to prove himself in college, then ok.
Priestly stunk and his teams stunk. Walt made him and made every qb servicable including Turman who was also the same as Tino.

You guys are a trip with the hate towards tino. Ya David Priestly was better like anybody outside of a long standing Pitt fan knows who he is. Pete who only played 1 year is better than a 3 year starter who completed over 60# of his passes all 3...and now also Bill Stull is better? c'mon man....let your hate for underachieving as a team go and look at what you're saying.

If Gonzalez had more than 1 year to prove himself in college, then ok.
Priestly stunk and his teams stunk. Walt made him and made every qb servicable including Turman who was also the same as Tino.
Stull won 10 games, and our team was ranked #15 his last year. The skill set may have been similar, but the difference was Stull actually won some close games. Tino wilted in the 4th quarter. You are getting upset at people simply giving their opinions.

No black QB's on that list except 1 and two in the last 30 years and you wonder why
Remember when this guy was the future?
8183718196_6c438d1ab6_b.jpg

We have landed some 4 star QB's over the years, but none of them played like 4 stars. He is a WR now at Akron.
No kidding. Coulda swore he was still at QB. Heck, I didn't even know he was still playing. Still wished he woulda stayed out of trouble so we could see what he could do.

Just still amazes me that we've only had 3/4 good QB's since the Marino left.

Better than:
Maxx Browne
Chad Voytik
Trey Anderson
Pat Bostick
Kevan Smith
David Priestly
Matt Lytle
John Ryan
Ken Ferguson

Not better than:
Nate Peterman
Tom Savage
Tyler Palko
Rod Rutherford
Alex Van Pelt

About the same as:
Bill Stull
John Turman
Pete Gonzalez
Stull, Turman, and Gonzalez were all better than Tino. As was Priestly.

The problem with Tino is that he was able to suck for three different head coaches over three seasons. Most of the other sucky ones on your list held the reins for much shorter times than that.

And the problem with Tino is that half of his sacks were plays in which he effectively sacked himself.

WTF ???

TINO??? ___>
tenor.gif

He literally tweeted right after he graduated that he wanted Florida State to beat Pitt.

He tweeted, literally the season after he left, "Fear The Spear" and said I hope FSU beats Pitt.

Not saying: Find Him....and END Him... just he goes down as a "Judas" at BEST.

Ps everyone was WRONG -- and that was one of the few things Todd Graham got RIGHT -- In saying that Sunseri was GARBAGE and that he Bottle-Neck Road-Blocked the whole program.

It really doesn't matter if Tino was better than Priestley. Tino was the best QB at Pitt when he was starting. I don't blame him for the programs woes. I blame the myriad coaches that couldn't land anyone better during that time.

Tino did and still does get a bad wrap. The kid played for 3 different head coaches in 3 very different offensive systems where one system was a complete mismatch to his skill set. He never got to get comfortable with a system to grow. That is a lot to ask even the best of qbs. If Pitt had normal stability that most programs have, who knows how well Tino would have progressed.

Everyone blames him for sacks. Despite playing behind a good running game line the pass protection sucked. He was literally was running for his life as soon as he took the snap a lot of times. It was real bad against Central Florida Graham's year. Here kept getting hit and kept getting back up. Not one of you pansy's could of done that.

He never came from behind in a game? Last I checked football was a team sport. We would have beaten number 2 Notre Dame if we made a field goal. Oh that is right, the one time the kid defends himself for losing a game everyone got their panties in a bunch because they felt he threw the locker under the bus because time said something like "we were a missed fg away from winning.".

I will say this, I wish he was out qb now, we would be in much better shape.

Better than:
Maxx Browne
Chad Voytik
Trey Anderson
Pat Bostick
Kevan Smith
David Priestly
Matt Lytle
John Ryan
Ken Ferguson

Not better than:
Nate Peterman
Tom Savage
Tyler Palko
Rod Rutherford
Alex Van Pelt

About the same as:
Bill Stull
John Turman
Pete Gonzalez

Man, not for nothing, but Pete Gonzalez' one season as a starter was the best season for a Pitt QB since Marino.

Tino was probably the most durable of Pitt QB's. He took a lot of sacks.
Sort of like being the most durable of Zeke Elliot's girlfriends in that in the end of the day it means nothing and the parties involved are were still part of a bad situation.

Man, not for nothing, but Pete Gonzalez' one season as a starter was the best season for a Pitt QB since Marino.

No! Palko in the Fiesta Bowl year was the best season by a Pitt QB. Pitt was going no where fast, then Palko ran over that BC safety knocking his helmet off and getting the first down. Not that I can prove it, but that doesn't happen Pitt loses that game and a few more and makes some crap bowl game if that. That play literally changed the momentum of the season.

No! Palko in the Fiesta Bowl year was the best season by a Pitt QB. Pitt was going no where fast, then Palko ran over that BC safety knocking his helmet off and getting the first down. Not that I can prove it, but that doesn't happen Pitt loses that game and a few more and makes some crap bowl game if that. That play literally changed the momentum of the season.

I thought about Palko's sophomore or senior year, and he was pdg, and I remember that play and it was pretty epic.

But, that 97 team had spit for talent. The only way they even hit .500 was him slinging it.

Mikefln said,

"Everyone blames him for sacks. Despite playing behind a good running game line the pass protection sucked. He was literally was running for his life as soon as he took the snap a lot of times. It was real bad against Central Florida Graham's year. Here kept getting hit and kept getting back up. Not one of you pansy's could of done that. "

well....with all of that experience being sacked you would think he would know to GET RID OF THE FREAKING BALL!!!!

"I will say this, I wish he was out qb now, we would be in much better shape."

No....we wouldn't.

Dinucci can move. Tino was a statue. The only change if Tino was on this year's team is our equipment manager will have to find another clipboard

IMO Tino was the worst Pitt QB who held the starting job for more than one season. A deer on the parkway. If he was the best Pitt had, that's an indictment of the coaching staffs.

You are proving the point. You didn't say staff, you said Staffs. Dan Marino would not have done well in 3 different systems and that junior year was a system not suited for Tino's skill set. If he played under one system he could of progressed like most qbs do who play for colleges that don't F up coaching hires like Pitt did.

You are proving the point. You didn't say staff, you said Staffs. Dan Marino would not have done well in 3 different systems and that junior year was a system not suited for Tino's skill set. If he played under one system he could of progressed like most qbs do who play for colleges that don't F up coaching hires like Pitt did.
He was pretty good for 3 quarters, and then puckered up in the 4th quarter.

If Tino would have held up his end of the bargain and played better, Wanny wouldn't have been fired after the 2010 season and he wouldn't have had to experience the turnover at head coach that he did.

What's with this board bringing up dead horses this week?

First Wannstedt, now Tino?

Anyways...

Um, no.

Here's the thing: Physically, you're correct. Tino was talented.
Mentally, that was a whole other story. As someone else said, he just didn't have "it". That's why he was only good in low pressure situations, like practice.
Put a shred of pressure on him, and he wilted. Every single time.

Stull was really the opposite. He performed better than his physical abilities would indicate.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT