ADVERTISEMENT

Tino Sunseri...

Sunseri is proof how much stats can be misleading. If you hadn't watched him play it would be hard to denigrate someone completing 65% of their passes for 3300 yards with a 21-3 TD/INT ratio.

Tino sacked himself most of the time. He had time to throw, and simply froze like a deer in the headlights and got sacked.

The best was when he would roll out and not be able to find an open receiver and instead of just lobbing the ball 10 yards out of bounds 10 yards down field he'd step out of bounds four yards behind the line of scrimmage. He has to have the all time NCAA record for that. Single season and career.

Sunseri is proof how much stats can be misleading. If you hadn't watched him play it would be hard to denigrate someone completing 65% of their passes for 3300 yards with a 21-3 TD/INT ratio.
He was the very definition of "turtle".

He would have 5 or 6 seconds of protection, be indecisive, and then "turtle" up and sack himself.

And sacks look bad on the stat sheet for the O Line, but doesn't affect a QB's passing stats at all.

The fact that in 3 full seasons as a starter, he had not a SINGLE win in a game Pitt trailed in the second half, showed he was ineffective as a leader.

A QB is one of the people on the field along with a center who has to process data really fast to be successful.

Unfortunately Browne seems to have similar mental capacity/processing speed as Tino which was deadly in game situations!

In addition Browne has slow feet which is double deadly!

Reactions: Pittx9
Tino made a lot of simple pass plays adding passing yards, added passing yards when it wasn't crunch time, and folded a lot when it was crunch time.

Reactions: UPitt '89
What's with this board bringing up dead horses this week?

First Wannstedt, now Tino?

Anyways...

Um, no.

Here's the thing: Physically, you're correct. Tino was talented.
Mentally, that was a whole other story. As someone else said, he just didn't have "it". That's why he was only good in low pressure situations, like practice.
Put a shred of pressure on him, and he wilted. Every single time.

Stull was really the opposite. He performed better than his physical abilities would indicate.

Tino seemed to lack the one thing all QBs need - confidence.

There are a lot of examples to point to, but one thing always stuck out to me. After a game, when the other team's players were around, Tino never took his helmet off. The other players from both teams would be walking around with helmet in hand, and Tino would have his on.

Odd.

I know I'm projecting, but it appeared that he was worried about someone sucker punching him. No confidence.

Here's a picture that I remember. He was like that every time the other players were around him.

Logan+Thomas+Virginia+Tech+v+Pittsburgh+hNU8TeqCD-Bl.jpg

Reactions: bwh05
He was the very definition of "turtle".

He would have 5 or 6 seconds of protection, be indecisive, and then "turtle" up and sack himself.

And sacks look bad on the stat sheet for the O Line, but doesn't affect a QB's passing stats at all.

The fact that in 3 full seasons as a starter, he had not a SINGLE win in a game Pitt trailed in the second half, showed he was ineffective as a leader.

I'm guessing no one here speaks Italian.

I remember hearing once that Tino's full name was, Sanino Tartaruga Sunseri.

Fitting.

You are proving the point. You didn't say staff, you said Staffs. Dan Marino would not have done well in 3 different systems and that junior year was a system not suited for Tino's skill set. If he played under one system he could of progressed like most qbs do who play for colleges that don't F up coaching hires like Pitt did.

No one coaching staff could have made Tino's brain synapses fire any faster. He was slower than a Commodore 64.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I would say Tino played like a scared little girl, but that's not fair to little girls.

The best was when he would roll out and not be able to find an open receiver and instead of just lobbing the ball 10 yards out of bounds 10 yards down field he'd step out of bounds four yards behind the line of scrimmage. He has to have the all time NCAA record for that. Single season and career.

My personal favorites were when he would scramble on 3rd down and voluntarily throw himself on the ground 3 yards short of the sticks when the closest defender was still 3 yards away from him. What a giant puss.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I always found it humorous that they listed Tino at 6-2 in the media guide, but now his own Wiki page lists him at 6-0. Everybody knew he wasn't close to 6-2.

Sigh.

Tino wasn't great, but there is a lot of selective memory. The pass protection he had was almost always atrocious. He would do a 5 step drop, and get hit immediately.

Again, he turtled, and he could not throw the deep ball to save his life. He also wasn't nearly as bad as what people on here made him out to be.

Sigh.

Tino wasn't great, but there is a lot of selective memory. The pass protection he had was almost always atrocious. He would do a 5 step drop, and get hit immediately.

Again, he turtled, and he could not throw the deep ball to save his life. He also wasn't nearly as bad as what people on here made him out to be.

Its the same people who bitch that DW "never won any big gamess!!!!!" When they don't realize to GET to big games, you have to WIN big games.

One guy in the thread says stull had "it". It means cries like a little pu$$y to his mom about being booooo'd? If so, sure.

Still no answer why don't we go after any black athletic QB's ?

You should really be directing your question to the "black athletic QB's" who had offers and didn't commit. However, I'll play along.

Manny Stocker was "black and athletic"... he also stunk. Greg Cross.... see many Stocker above. Others that come to mind include JaQuan Davidson who they did move back to QB for a bit. DJ Dinkins who started his Pitt career at QB. Pete Gonzalez and Anthony Gonzalez were "hispanic and athletic", does that minority count?

What if they're "black and unathletic"? How about "white and athletic"?

It's easy to bash Tino. But let's not forget, 3 head coaches couldn't come up with any better alternative at QB for 3 years. I thought he was a decent game manager under Chryst in 2012.

You should really be directing your question to the "black athletic QB's" who had offers and didn't commit. However, I'll play along.

Manny Stocker was "black and athletic"... he also stunk. Greg Cross.... see many Stocker above. Others that come to mind include JaQuan Davidson who they did move back to QB for a bit. DJ Dinkins who started his Pitt career at QB. Pete Gonzalez and Anthony Gonzalez were "hispanic and athletic", does that minority count?

What if they're "black and unathletic"? How about "white and athletic"?
I'm not sayin color makes a difference but we just don't recruit black QB's they are difference makers that are athletic, not that he has to be black I'm just asking a question 2 black starting QB's in 30 years and those happen to be some good teams ...

No I'm sayin look at who they have under center and that's why there successful cause they have a triple threat under center...

So, your point is not about a black QB, after all?

Rather, you'd like to scrap the offense that the current players have been recruited to run, and start from scratch.

TEs; George Aston; lineman; RBs; scrap it all to run the offense you like.

That may not be the best decision, but it makes you look a whole lot better than bitching about the color of one position player.

Yes...

Sunseri threw tons of very easy, short screen passes (usually on third and very long) which often yielded worthless yards short of the first down marker. Good for padding stats though.

His TD to INT ratio was only good one year... the other years it was atrocious. In 2011 he had more INTs than TDs.

If only they kept stats for underthrown pass attempts beyond 10 yards.

He was the most sacked college QB in 2011 (64 sacks) and I think that number is still the record for the most sacked QB in a single season.

Nate Peterman almost had as many career TDs
yet played less than 2 full season as the starter while Tino was the starter for three complete seasons.

Yes...

Sunseri threw tons of very easy, short screen passes (usually on third and very long) which often yielded worthless yards short of the first down marker. Good for padding stats though.

His TD to INT ratio was only good one year... the other years it was atrocious. In 2011 he had more INTs than TDs.

If only they kept stats for underthrown pass attempts beyond 10 yards.

He was the most sacked college QB in 2011 (64 sacks) and I think that number is still the record for the most sacked QB in a single season.

Nate Peterman almost had as many career TDs
yet played less than 2 full season as the starter while Tino was the starter for three complete seasons.

Though... he competed for the job and the coaches picked him... so at the end of the day it's more to do with the inability of the coaches at that time to find a more gifted QB to recruit and play at the position.

I'm not sayin color makes a difference but we just don't recruit black QB's they are difference makers that are athletic, not that he has to be black I'm just asking a question 2 black starting QB's in 30 years and those happen to be some good teams ...

Rutherford was good, but Dickerson was mediocre. I'm simply pointing out that they have tried to recruit athletic black QBs, athletic hispanic QBs, and athletic white QBs. Many have not worked out. More recently, Chapman was highly regarded, but never made it to campus. Voytik and Anthony Gonzalez were also well thought of recruits who just weren't good enough. Rutherford and Palko fit that mold and were good.

They've offered a good bit of dual threat kids, but haven't landed them. They haven't landed many good QBs at all.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT