ADVERTISEMENT

Tino Sunseri...

Rutherford was good, but Dickerson was mediocre. I'm simply pointing out that they have tried to recruit athletic black QBs, athletic hispanic QBs, and athletic white QBs. Many have not worked out. More recently, Chapman was highly regarded, but never made it to campus. Voytik and Anthony Gonzalez were also well thought of recruits who just weren't good enough. Rutherford and Palko fit that mold and were good.

They've offered a good bit of dual threat kids, but haven't landed them. They haven't landed many good QBs at all.
I agree that's all I was saying

Tino seemed to lack the one thing all QBs need - confidence.

After a game, Tino never took his helmet off. The other players from both teams would be walking around with helmet in hand, and Tino would have his on.

Logan+Thomas+Virginia+Tech+v+Pittsburgh+hNU8TeqCD-Bl.jpg

Actually, he had plenty of confidence - he just lacked talent... and he never took his helmet off because leaving it on made him appear 3 inches taller- he didn't want people clearly seeing he was really only 5'10" and not 6'1 /6'2" as he claimed to be.

Actually, he had plenty of confidence - he just lacked talent... and he never took his helmet off because leaving it on made him appear 3 inches taller- he didn't want people clearly seeing he was really only 5'10" and not 6'1 /6'2" as he claimed to be.

Wouldn't that be a result of not having enough self confidence?

Maybe? I don't know, but that's the impression I'm left with.

Someone with confidence is comfortable in his own skin, and knows not to be concerned about what he can't change. Like his height, for example.

Why u think look at the top 5 schools and who's running shit under center
#3 Oklahoma - Baker Mayfield
#4 Penn State - Trace McSorley
#5 USC - Sam Darnold
#6 Ok State - Mason Rudolph
#7 Washington - Jake Browning
#8 Michigan - Wilton Speight
#9 Wisconsin - Alex Hornibrook

Those QBs all have something in common, with respect to skin color.

You were saying?

#3 Oklahoma - Baker Mayfield
#4 Penn State - Trace McSorley
#5 USC - Sam Darnold
#6 Ok State - Mason Rudolph
#7 Washington - Jake Browning
#8 Michigan - Wilton Speight
#9 Wisconsin - Alex Hornibrook

Those QBs all have something in common, with respect to skin color.

You were saying?
Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State,

Reactions: HailToPitt725
He was pretty damn good actually. The blowout over Ohio St probably his finest moment.
Then we got Van Pelt and he went to WR. But Van Pelt was better, and he was in the NFL at least a decade

I'm just asking a question 2 black starting QB's in 30 years and those happen to be some good teams ...

Do you want a quota?

Steelers only had one black QB that played significantly, and he was only marginally successful. should they seek another, just to say they did?

I don't care if we ever have a black QB, or a white QB ever, I just want good QBs every year.

Reactions: Mikefln
The best QB's for Pitt in the last 50 years: (In order)

1. Cavanaugh (could beat you with arm or legs)
2. Marino (great arm and intangibles)
3. Gonzalez (could put the team on his back and carry them)
4. Peterman (played big in big games)
5. Van Pelt (prolific)

Reactions: Panther Holla

5. Van Pelt (prolific)

I'm sorry burger, but I can't include Van Pelt on that list. Yeah he is the all time passing leader, but the teams record mitigates that. How many 3rd and 10's and Hackett/Van Pelt would call a 4 yard sideline pass to the tight end? #5 should be Rod who had some nice seasons here.

Do you want a quota?

Steelers only had one black QB that played significantly, and he was only marginally successful. should they seek another, just to say they did?

I don't care if we ever have a black QB, or a white QB ever, I just want good QBs every year.
I thought we're talking about Pitt and I was just making a comment

I'm sorry burger, but I can't include Van Pelt on that list. Yeah he is the all time passing leader, but the teams record mitigates that. How many 3rd and 10's and Hackett/Van Pelt would call a 4 yard sideline pass to the tight end? #5 should be Rod who had some nice seasons here.
what does Marino's lack of getting it ('it' meaning Pitt is IT) done with the Pitt's greatest assemblage of talent ever for three years mitigate?

5. Van Pelt (prolific)

To not have Marino as #1 is way beyond idiotic.

Wouldn't that be a result of not having enough self confidence?

Maybe? I don't know, but that's the impression I'm left with.

Someone with confidence is comfortable in his own skin, and knows not to be concerned about what he can't change. Like his height, for example.

He projected a sense of self confidence but maybe you are right that he was not truly comfortable in his own skin (since he was busy trying to cover up his limitations). He was careful to appear confident when selling everyone on the idea that he's the right guy to lead the team to victory -much like Browne- even though his performance on the field always seemed to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
was not Dan Marino, but was better than a lot of QB's who have started at Pitt over the past 27 years. I think when trying to compare crap qb's to Pitt qb's, we might want to use a different measuring stick.

Better than:
Maxx Browne
Chad Voytik
Trey Anderson
Pat Bostick
Kevan Smith
David Priestly
Matt Lytle
John Ryan
Ken Ferguson

Not better than:
Nate Peterman
Tom Savage
Tyler Palko
Rod Rutherford
Alex Van Pelt

About the same as:
Bill Stull
John Turman
Pete Gonzalez
I agree with everything except the bottom list. He was nowhere near the level of Turman, Gonzalez, or stull. Pete Gonzalez took a disaster of a program to a bowl game. Turman was a very efficient passer. And Bill Stull might be the most underrated player in pitt history. From the second tino set foot on campus the chants began, yet as soon as stull left and tino took over it was obvious what a big loss stull was.

I debated whether it should be Van Pelt or Rutherford at #5. I could go either way...

Yes. 3 of top 10 have black QBs. 7 of top 10 have white QBs.

The lesson here is.... the skin color of the QB is completely immaterial to his success or failure.
Statistically black QBs are OVER represented, as blacks are 13% of the population. 30% of the top 10.

To be honest, I don't think blacks should ever complain about their representation in sports.

Statistically black QBs are OVER represented, as blacks are 13% of the population. 30% of the top 10.

To be honest, I don't think blacks should ever complain about their representation in sports.
I don't think anyone was complaining.

There was a poster that said Pitt couldn't be successful unless they recruited a black QB.

I'm just pointing out that the skin color of the QB has nothing to do with his success or failure.

I'll take a one-armed midget QB if he can win games.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I would also like to know how skin color plays into this. Please explain.

It is stupid to have a skin color debate. I do think it is regrettable that we tried a coach that ran the spread once with graham, and have since kept basically a pro style offense, with the wrinkles they added last year.

I'm just not sure if pitt can ever truly win by running a strict pro style offense.

It is stupid to have a skin color debate. I do think it is regrettable that we tried a coach that ran the spread once with graham, and have since kept basically a pro style offense, with the wrinkles they added last year.

I'm just not sure if pitt can ever truly win by running a strict pro style offense.

No. He brought up skin color, and I want to know why.

Agree. I'll agree that Graham was a jerk. But i wanted to see him have a real chance to make his offense work here. Meaning more than one year and a real QB designed for it. It relies on gimmickry and charades you say? I say heck yes it does, and that's why i wanted to see it honestly attempted here. It's an offense with a chance to work for a team that can't get great recruits at most positions. Like ours.

was not Dan Marino, but was better than a lot of QB's who have started at Pitt over the past 27 years. I think when trying to compare crap qb's to Pitt qb's, we might want to use a different measuring stick.

Better than:
Maxx Browne
Chad Voytik
Trey Anderson
Pat Bostick
Kevan Smith
David Priestly
Matt Lytle
John Ryan
Ken Ferguson

Not better than:
Nate Peterman
Tom Savage
Tyler Palko
Rod Rutherford
Alex Van Pelt

About the same as:
Bill Stull
John Turman
Pete Gonzalez

Tino was HORRIBLE for 3 years. He played better his senior year, in fact I would say he played excellent his senior year. Bull Stull made similar improvements... both loss many games for Pitt that Pitt should have won because we actually had good defenses

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT