ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 College Basketball Travel Destinations

Georgetown is an ok campus in a nice part of DC, and you can visit DC while there. Anything in Florida beats anything up north in the winter.

So I think some may be missing the point - it's not a "travel destination" like a vacation, but perhaps a destination to watch a hoops game. Good atmosphere, venue, etc. Right?

Having said that, The Pete and The Zoo are living on historic borrowed time right now since it was a graveyard the last 2 years, especially last year.

Reactions: Chaos
Duke's not in there? I've gone to a couple of games there, and it's got to be one of the top 10 in my book. Hell, that place is loud and rocks when they play Georgia Southern.

So I think some may be missing the point - it's not a "travel destination" like a vacation, but perhaps a destination to watch a hoops game. Good atmosphere, venue, etc. Right?

Having said that, The Pete and The Zoo are living on historic borrowed time right now since it was a graveyard the last 2 years, especially last year.
You could sit just about anywhere you want and parking was a breeze !

Reactions: pitt-girl
Duke's not in there? I've gone to a couple of games there, and it's got to be one of the top 10 in my book. Hell, that place is loud and rocks when they play Georgia Southern.
Loud yes, but the place frankly is a dump and some seats have really poor sight lines.

Wvu Coliseum in beautiful Morgantown,Wva.I bet it's on many college basketball fans bucket list!

Lots of good ones, for sure. I'd go with this list:

1. Kansas
2. Indiana
3. Duke (not quite as crazy as we've been in the past, IMO).
4. Kentucky
5. Butler
6. New Mexico
7. West Virginia
8. Syracuse
9. Michigan State
10. Wichita State

HM: Maryland, Gonzaga, Utah State, Oklahoma State, UNC

Reactions: rjpeal

1. Kansas
2. Indiana
4. Kentucky
5. Butler
6. New Mexico
7. West Virginia
8. Syracuse
9. Michigan State
10. Wichita State

Hate to tell you Rupp is pretty much of a dump too. They have done some renovation, but both Rupp and Cameron Indoor are of the old style venues. Obviously nothing wrong with that as the atmosphere at both are outstanding, but certainly not nearly as comfortable or accommodating as newer venues.

Reactions: centerave
Hate to tell you Rupp is pretty much of a dump too. They have done some renovation, but both Rupp and Cameron Indoor are of the old style venues. Obviously nothing wrong with that as the atmosphere at both are outstanding, but certainly not nearly as comfortable or accommodating as newer venues.

We have air conditioning, now. So that should be factored in. I'm more into the fan experience than being comfortable. A raucous crowd is the ideal for me.

Where do I book my summer vacation to Dayton !
Ps ..I’ll go to Iowa St in Jan .
I've been to Dayton and it's not a destination place.
We have two mfg locations in the area. Nice hard working people who like to fish and hunt which I like to do but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Dayton unless I need to be there and get paid to be there!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Bufett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

We have air conditioning, now. So that should be factored in. I'm more into the fan experience than being comfortable. A raucous crowd is the ideal for me.

AC now great and the running water was installed a few years back so its definately on the Must Go To List!

And it is a great place to visit!

Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Yes - totally legitimate opinion. I prefer both but of course, that's in a perfect world.

If Mrs Buffett and I are going to a destination location basketball game I'm heading to:

U of Miami to hit Hollywood FL ( Buffetts Margaritaville Resort), Ft Lauderdale Beaches, with a side trip to the Florida Keys

U of Colorado or Colorado St to get some slope time in at Keystone or Breckinridge

U of South Carolina to visit Hilton Head for beach and golf time

Destination is the key word in the title of the thread not great basketball.

Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Confirmed so far Youngstown St at home, the City Game vs Duq, and then WVU and Iowa on the road.
YSU at home should be a win. WVU on the road is probably gonna get ugly. The other two games will tell us a lot about what to expect this year. At Iowa won't be easy, but a good team can win that game. The Dukes are going to be substantially better than they've been, but again, a decent ACC team should beat them.

Rupp is intimidating as hell. I remember walking in for our Sweet Sixteen loss to Kent State and seeing the massive upper deck and ugly speaker contraption as opposed to a center hung scoreboard. I felt like I had stepped back in time about 40 years.

Assembly Hall in Indiana is another impressive venue with the steep pitch of the stands and virtually no seating behind the baskets.

I put Utah State on my HM list. I haven't been there for a game, but some of the chants in the student section are very impressive. The "I believe that we will win" chant did not originate with US Men's Soccer, but with the Utah State students. Here are a few short videos.

1. Kansas
2. Indiana
4. Kentucky
5. Butler
6. New Mexico
7. West Virginia
8. Syracuse
9. Michigan State
10. Wichita State

Good list...I’d add UCLA, UNC,

Reactions: dukedevilz
Spent the last 2 years avoiding Pitt hoops. Attended Kansas-WVU at the Phog. Oregon vs UCLA at Pauley. Last spring UNC vs Duke at Cameron. No college basketball experience tops those 3. In its best days the Zoo never came close to Duke and Kansas student sections or overall fan engagement. A large part of what makes these special is the venerable atomosphere of old school gyms ( Cameron and Photo hinted at the Hoosier movie venues). My ranking.
1-A Cameron ( granted UNC game atmosphere gives it an edge).
1-B Phog really great atmosphere
2 Pauley. Sorry the coeds were not as beautiful as I had assumes. But the cheerleaders were as advertised

Next on the bucket list is Assembly Hall and the Pit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT