ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 (or 15) Moments at The Pete -- A DO OVER!!

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
Below there is a thread with a link to a Pitt Video showing the "top 10 moments at the Pete."

In my all-to-typical way, I have to take some issues with the list provided in the video. And since I've seen all but 3 games ever played at the Pete, I feel I have some personal stake in creating a do-over!

My biggest issue with the video is that they did poor job mixing "great moments" and "great games." It would seem that this is really a list of "great games" but even some of the "great games" were actually really bad games with a great moment. For example, Ashton's bomb to beat Providence certainly fits this category. Pitt played poorly against the Friars that day and deserved to lose against a subpar Friars team.

So I'll suggest two lists. One is of "best games." Each of these were really well played games against fine opponents, with the game itself being high in overall magnitude.

And a top 10 in each category just doesn't seem like enough to someone as verbose as I am. I really wanted to come up with a top 20, but comprised on a top 15

So here we go ..

Best games …

15. Virginia – 2017 – (Three! – over and over again) A tremendous offensive shooting effort by the Panthers making it look like new Coach Stallings had truly unlocked some special talent on the way to what might be a surprisingly special season.
14. Duke – 2016 (James is on the floor) The Panthers played a near perfect game led by what might have been the best game Mr. Robinson ever played at Pitt.
13. Villanova -- 2004 (A Big East title after a 17-3 starting deficit) Perhaps the finest defensive game ever played by the Panthers.
12. ND – 2006 (Quinn’s a P***y) Two overtimes and tons of inappropriate fun from the Zoo.
11. Louisville – 2010 (The joy of beating Pitino) After the game, Pitino said this was one of the very toughest losses in his career. Nasir was amazing.
10. WVU – 2006 (Trailer Monster goes 0-12) Our defense truly got after it this day.
9. Georgetown – 2006 (College Game Day) When leaving the court after the game, Dick Vitale said one word to Dick Groat -- Execution!
8. Syracuse – 2003 (The Clinic is Open) -- How can anyone forget the defense played by Jaron Brown on Carmelo Anthony.
7. Villanova – 2010 (Our guards are better than their guards) The third top 5 team to lose to Pitt as Ashton, Jermaine and Brad bested Scottie and the Coreys.
6. Georgetown – 2008 (Keith and Ronald!) With Mike Cook and Levance on the shelf, the senior pair rocked the house to show the Panthers would not surrender this season.
5. Syracuse – 2011 (Brad is the Man). Not many games start with a 19 point run followed by a 17 point run answer. But in the second half, Brad imposed his will for #4 to beat #3.
4. UConn – 2004 (Clash of the Titans). Two great teams (Pitt at #4 and UConn #5). A great game. This day, Pitt was tougher and better.
3. UConn – 2003 (Just the best team). The Panthers went down big early, but then took control with incredible energy from the Zoo. Calhoun said appropriately "they aren't the most talented team but they are the best team."
2. WVU – 2010 (3 OT’s and More) An epic that needs no further explanation.
1. UConn – 2009 (There you GO!) That's what Verne Lunquist said when Sam finished the ally-oop from the Levance. In all ways, shapes and forms, the all-time pinnacle home game for Panther Basketball.

To me, making a list of top moments at the Pete is something a different animal. These are more about huge single plays in really big moments in big or important games that electrified the crowd so much more than other moments.

Here are those moments ...

15. Lamar Patterson's pump fake drive and slam – Gtown - 2012
14. Sam’s Young's monster dunk pushes the lead to ten – Gtown - 2008
13. Jamel Artis’ unconscious three to put the Panthers up by 5 – Syracuse -- 2014
12. Brad Wanamaker's fast break dunk from Lamar to take a 19-0 lead – Syracuse - 2011
11. Jamel’s three puts the Panthers up by 9 in OT – Virginia – 2017
10. Ron Ramon’s three pointer to put the Panthers up by 2 in 2OT – ND - 2006
9. Jaron Brown's steal then three pointer – UConn -- 2004
8. James Robinson’s three puts the game into OT – Villanova - 2013
7. Brad’s three cuts the lead to 1 – L-ville -- 2010
6. DeJaun Blair's follow up slam caps a 10-0 run to start the second half – ND -- 2009
5. Ashton Gibbs’ 28 footer for the win – Providence - 2010
4. Wanamaker’s steal to Nasir Robinson to Ashton for three and the tie in regulation – WVU - 2010
3. Brandin Knight’s ally oop to Julius Page cuts 13 point lead in the first half to 4 – UConn 2004
2. Ramon’s three pointer to win -- WVU in 2008
1. Levance Fields' ally pop to Sam -- UConn in 2009

Those are mine.

What are yours?

Reactions: thirteenNINE
Thanks DT. great list. I know you limited it to the Pete, but the most inspiring moment in Pitt's basketball turnaround imo was the dunk by Julius Page over Boumtje Boumtje. From losing seasons to success.

I was at the games you listed as top 3 and I would rank them in that order also. I have frequently told people that the loudest indoor sporting event I ever attended was the Connecticut game along with the Penguins against blackhawks when Mario scored at the end.

Thanks DT. great list. I know you limited it to the Pete, but the most inspiring moment in Pitt's basketball turnaround imo was the dunk by Julius Page over Boumtje Boumtje. From losing seasons to success.

My favorite moment among many favorite moments. I have labeled that the BIG BANG of Pitt basketball. It told the world we will no longer be intimidated. For a long while anyway.

My biggest issue with the video is that they did poor job mixing "great moments" and "great games." It would seem that this is really a list of "great games" but even some of the "great games" were actually really bad games with a great moment. For example, Ashton's bomb to beat Providence certainly fits this category. Pitt played poorly against the Friars that day and deserved to lose against a subpar Friars team.

I couldn't have said it any better! That's a fine list too.

A couple others that are special to me:

2011 UConn - #4 UConn entered the Pete for an early Big East premiere with students away (Dec 27), and they had run up a fancy record of 10-0 after a surprise win in the Maui Invitational. UConn later goes on to win 11 games in a row for the title.

2006 PSU - Pitt beats PSU 91-54 (Pitt's largest margin of victory in the series) in the final year of the home-and-home agreement. They will not meet again until the 2013 ACC-B1G Challenge. Someone in the athletic department had a large framed photo of Sam Young dunking on PSU in his office.

2005 Syracuse - #4 Syracuse entered the Pete after a 20-1 start. Pitt had just pulled off a come-from-behind victory at #16 UConn (trailed by 17). Pitt trailed Syracuse again by 17 points before yet another upset for Boeheim.

I couldn't have said it any better! That's a fine list too.

A couple others that are special to me:

2011 UConn - #4 UConn entered the Pete for an early Big East premiere with students away (Dec 27), and they had run up a fancy record of 10-0 after a surprise win in the Maui Invitational. UConn later goes on to win 11 games in a row for the title.

2006 PSU - Pitt beats PSU 91-54 (Pitt's largest margin of victory in the series) in the final year of the home-and-home agreement. They will not meet again until the 2013 ACC-B1G Challenge. Someone in the athletic department had a large framed photo of Sam Young dunking on PSU in his office.

2005 Syracuse - #4 Syracuse entered the Pete after a 20-1 start. Pitt had just pulled off a come-from-behind victory at #16 UConn (trailed by 17). Pitt trailed Syracuse again by 17 points before yet another upset for Boeheim.

The Cuse and UConn games could easily be in on a Top 15 list. I considered both. I especially liked that Syracuse game, when Levon Kendall stepped up into the small forward spot and hit three big threes and Keith Benjamin scored 10 points after barely scoring at all up to that point.

As for PSU games, I'm a little more partial to the game in the 2003-2004 season when we surrendered just 11 points in the first half.

Just amazing year after year, night after night of that kind of excitement and energy.......well once we got into conference. play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT