ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Pitt point guards of the past 30 years

kusa24

Freshman
Aug 3, 2001
After hearing Sean Miller on the radio today it got me to thinking how good he was. Then I started thinking about the point guards over the years and how I would rank them. I only want to look back to 1986 since it is an even 30 year mark and when the 3-point line was universally adopted. Anything before that defines a different type of point guard in my opinion.

So with that said what are your top 10 Pitt point guards from 1986-2016?

Mine are:
1. Sean Miller
2. Vonteego Cummings
3. Brandin Knight
4. Levance Fields
5. Carl Krauser
6. James Robinson
7. Andre Aldridge
8. Travon Woodall
9. Brad Wannamaker
10. Jerry McCullough

Vonteego did everything.

Was going to name my dog after him but chose mobley instead.

Andre alridge ahead of Jerry Mac?

My next dog will hopefully be named jurky after Phil jurkovec, lol.

Reactions: cabe23
After hearing Sean Miller on the radio today it got me to thinking how good he was. Then I started thinking about the point guards over the years and how I would rank them. I only want to look back to 1986 since it is an even 30 year mark and when the 3-point line was universally adopted. Anything before that defines a different type of point guard in my opinion.

So with that said what are your top 10 Pitt point guards from 1986-2016?

Mine are:
1. Sean Miller
2. Vonteego Cummings
3. Brandin Knight
4. Levance Fields
5. Carl Krauser
6. James Robinson
7. Andre Aldridge
8. Travon Woodall
9. Brad Wannamaker
10. Jerry McCullough

Knight's number is hanging in the rafters. Neither Miller nor Cummings has that honor.

Your #3 is #1.

Also... Wanamaker wasn't a PG.

Vonteego did everything.

Was going to name my dog after him but chose mobley instead.

Andre alridge ahead of Jerry Mac?

My next dog will hopefully be named jurky after Phil jurkovec, lol.

That was a spit take when is saw it.

BK's junior and senior years are the gold standard.

Miller was solid, but he had his limits. He had no capacity to drive and score at all, and he didn't have a jump shot as much as he has a set shot. It was pretty darn accurate, but again, he had to be wide open to be able to take it.

He was really good in Evan's very basic, inside out offense, with really good post players and a strong wing perimeter shooter in Mathews. He had all the pieces around him in the perfect offense for him.

Vonteego was pretty much a PG, he brought the ball up and had it in his hands A LOT on offense. He did a lot and probably was the most talented guard during this time frame, but has not a great shooter and not a true PG.

As someone else noted, Wannamaker was not a PG. He did a lot of wing forward stuff, like Lamar did, but Gibbs and or Woodall were the guys who were the defacto PGs on those teams.

JROB has been mashed over verbatim here, but he would have probably been better than Miller had he played on those teams. Same basic limitations, but bigger. Or even put him on a team with any kind of SG and any kind of real post player, and he looks better.

Krauser wasn't a particularly good PG, but was incredible competitor. I guess a less athletic Vonteego in some ways.

IDK, for me ...

BK
Vonteego
Levance
CK
JROB/Miller (tie)
McCullough
Woodall
Aldridge

Last edited:
Knight's number is hanging in the rafters. Neither Miller nor Cummings has that honor.

Your #3 is #1.

Also... Wanamaker wasn't a PG.

1. Brandon Knight
2. Levance Fields
3. Vonteego Cummings
4. Carl Krauser
5. Sean Miller
6. Jerry McCoullough
7. Ashton Gibbs (actually started at the point -- so let's call him a point guard. He could be higher on this list, but not really for his point guard play)
8. Darelle Porter (started 90-91 at the point and set Pitt's assist record)
9. James Robinson
10. Tray Woodall
11. Mike Goodson
12. Andre Aldridge

Please, James Robinson shouldn't be on any top 10 list of Pitt anything.

1. Brandon Knight
2. Levance Fields
3. Vonteego Cummings
4. Carl Krauser
5. Sean Miller
6. Jerry McCoullough
7. Ashton Gibbs (actually started at the point -- so let's call him a point guard. He could be higher on this list, but not really for his point guard play)
9. James Robinson
10. Tray Woodall
11. Mike Goodson
12. Andre Aldridge

Brandin Knight, IMO, is a CLEAR No. 1. Not close.

Vonteego is obviously my favorite player of all time, but I think I would take Krauser over him. Especially seeing this season how much I value mentally tough players, CK was a winner here. Miller and Vonteego is close. Ashton Gibbs is probably the most underrated panther of this run, but he really wasn't a PG. I'd have Robinson somewhere between 6-8 (I don't know if you know this, but he is the all time Assist to Turnover leader).

1. Brandon Knight
2. Levance Fields
3. Vonteego Cummings
4. Carl Krauser
5. Sean Miller
6. Jerry McCoullough
9. James Robinson
10. Tray Woodall
11. Mike Goodson
12. Andre Aldridge

I like this list. A lot. I can't argue with any of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT