ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 players from Western PA over last 25 years

Re: I didn't even know that ...

Originally posted by SoufOaklin4Life:

Originally posted by TreesHero:

Originally posted by SoufOaklin4Life:

There was some other kid who went to Union who played D1, that I played with at the YMCA during summers in the late 90s...I just can't remember his name
Corey Hunt? Well, I think his first name was Corey. I'm also pretty sure he went D1, but I don't recall the school.

EDIT: Looks like Cory is in the RMU hall of fame for track & field. I could have sworn there was a Hunt from Union HS who played college basketball. Link: http://rmucolonials.com/hof.aspx?hof=42&path=&kiosk=

This post was edited on 4/9 8:42 AM by TreesHero
It's completely gone from my skull. And maybe I'm completely wrong.

But, did think of Steve McNees from Shenango..scored over 2000 points in HS and had a nice career at Akron.
But again.....we are talking about kids who go on to have "a nice career at Akron". This isn't a shot at you, just my god, we really struggle to produce basketball players in Western PA.

I'm just listing d1 caliber kids who aren't typically discussed... Not claiming there is talent locally.

Kinda like revis and Pryor....malik hooker would be a good College hoops player who chose football.

Re: speaking of Marquette/local players - PCC grad Marotta dies at age 52

Marotta was one of the last from the golden age.

Vinnie Graham of Belle Vernon was probably the best guard I played against. If Graham was 6'0" instead of 5'7", he could've gone anywhere he wanted. Instead he went on to play at Cal with Derrick Scott (Duquesne) and Eric Watson (Ringold). Watson was a pretty skilled 6'9" kid who went on to play in Belgium.

Sauer put up 43 on us as a junior, but we beat them in OT in a great game. He was just an awesome talent, strong and a good shooter at 6'7".

Monty Latimer of Sto Rox was pretty good as well, but I think personal problems did him in. Those Sto Rox teams with him and Kirkland were tremendous.

Jim Cantamessa from Blackhawk played with Archie Miller, then went on to Siena I believe, where he shot about 47% from 3pt range.

But, when 2007 was the best Fab 5 team of the past 25 years, and none of the others are close, that's a problem. There are similarly sized cities that have classes like that one regularly. That Fab 5 class was Pryor, Kennedy, Baldwin, Pope, and Blair. One NBA benchwarmer at this point, a couple fringe NFL players, and a couple guys playing overseas.

No doubt FB is the choice, here. Pryor was a different story..

He looked like a great BB player when I saw him as a soph. Speed, athleticism, hands, instincts......and a 42nd degree Mason. As several wags here opined back then, 6-6 athletes are a dime a dozen in the NBA.....not many like him playing QB in the NFL. As it turns out, his passing wasn't much better than his shooting. He sure looked good, though. Thoroughbred, better as a WR, probably.

Re: No doubt FB is the choice, here. Pryor was a different story..

Pryor would have needed to develop a jump shot for the NBA but he might have been an All American in college hoops. Great in the open court.

Still think basketball should have been his choice but I actully thought he should have become Lawrence Taylor Part II in football. He could have put on another 15-20# of muscle and with his speed and length, no QB would have been safe.

QB was a bad decision by his handlers. Vince Young beating USC happened at exactly the wrong time for Pryor. Everybody was looking for the next Vince Young while the first one was busy being a NFL bust.

yes, true

Remember the Dapper Dan roundball here? Used to field some good teams. Ron Rowan, Bill Varner, Larry Anderson, Marotta; all D1 players. If Pitt had been in the Big East instead of the A10 back then most of those guys would have stayed home and it would have been a pretty good local team.

Actually Dwight Collins was a heck of a basketball player too. One of my favorite Pitt players of all time. His freshman year was spectacular.

Re: yes, true

Like much of you, I'm a long time follower of western PA basketball. Actually did some research on the subject, as I was confounded by the decrease in talent, after having seeing it up close in its heyday. I researched and studied population and demographics of the 70's and compared it against the same data 40 years later.

I had somewhat of a unique perspective, having lived in Duquesne when I was younger (15 feet from the playground) and in Sewickley, as a teen. I was able to see (when I was a kid) and play (as a teen) against the best of both the mon and beaver valley. In the early 70's I can recall seeing Billy Knight, Pat Hill (Munhall/Robert Morris?) Cliff Sumpter (Clairton/Iowa?) Shawn Leftwich (McKeesport/Jacksonville), Jim Smith (General Braddock/George Washington), Hosea Champagne (General Braddock/Duquesne) Lloyd ???? (Clairton/Marquette) and so on.............. That list is probably 2% of the players I saw pull up in there cars near "the field" as it was affectionately called to play against Duquesne's best.

In the early 80's, I ran a basketball league in Sewickley, in which Ron Rowan & Forrest Grant (Beaver Falls) the Slappy's, George Green and Simmie Hill from Midland, Cicero Lassiter from Rochester, (big time baller only Beaver Countians seem to know) Ronnie Shegog and others from Aliquippa. Being that Sewickley was midway between Beaver valley and Pittsburgh, I was able to draw from the valley and the city, so, the Cosmic Echoes from the Hill (Puffy Kennedy, etc.) Mel Bennett and a team from the north-side also played in it.

And of course, you had the the preeminent outdoor league in the Connie Hawkins league, in the 70's and early/mid 80's. This all leads up to my unscientific conclusions on the areas demise.

1) Playground vs AAU - Players used to create there own competition. The scenario described above, where players just showed up unannounced at certain playgrounds to play against that community's best, was played out all over Pittsburgh. The competition level was FIERCE. Games to 11 took a long time, as the losing team knew the evening was over if they lost. This concept of seeking and experiencing fierce competition on a nightly basis in the summer has seemingly been replaced by AAU ball. I have nothing against AAU ball, but I guess from having experienced and seeing the impact of "outdoor" summer ball, I'm not sure it has replaced the highly competitive nature of playground ball, which is where the majority of players are MADE. The parents of a young kid I coached in Sewickley, asked me how there son can get better. I told them, leave Sewickley and play in the Ozanam league.

2) Iron sharpens Iron - Another component to the playground or pick-up game concept is that it pitted teens against grown men and grown men do not care if you're a teen on the court. They will take advantage of you in a heartbeat as they are playing to win, and will do what's needed to stay on the court. For a teen, playing against early and mid-twenty year olds will make you into a player real, real fast. You will become aggressive and competitive just from having played against bigger, stronger players. AAU ball, places you against your age bracket. When boys play against men, the skill and ability level is greatly accelerated.

3) Demographics - The population totals from in the 70's and today aren't that drastically different. If I recall it was separated by just a couple hundred thousand. Just going on memory here, but what I recall is that the ages of the population shifted towards older people. In other words, there aren't as many kids, especially in areas where many ball players lived. Ringgold, Duquesne, Braddock, Rochester, Beaver Falls, Aliquippa, etc..........those communities are 1/4 to 1/3 of there population levels when the mills roared. I can't speak for the other areas, but in the Valley's, the ballers who once occupied those communities live elsewhere. Those areas are not fraught with school age children playing ball.

4) For those that played basketball and/or football in western PA, there's a 50-60% chance they live elsewhere and have sons who now play and star in the DC area, the Carolina's, Texas and Florida. Having been a subscriber to this board for 10 years now, each year I read about players whose family is from the Pittsburgh area. Those are "would be" WPIAL'ers. The DC area comprises of many. My son attended Dematha and Bishop McNamara high schools and I've come across many parents from Pittsburgh whose sons were playing at either school.

Re: No doubt FB is the choice, here. Pryor was a different story..

Originally posted by Harve74:
Pryor would have needed to develop a jump shot for the NBA but he might have been an All American in college hoops. Great in the open court.

Still think basketball should have been his choice but I actully thought he should have become Lawrence Taylor Part II in football. He could have put on another 15-20# of muscle and with his speed and length, no QB would have been safe.

QB was a bad decision by his handlers. Vince Young beating USC happened at exactly the wrong time for Pryor. Everybody was looking for the next Vince Young while the first one was busy being a NFL bust.
Very True. Remember in HS Julius Peppers was highly sought after as a basketball player also. Like you said, 6'6" freak athletes aren't uncommon in the NBA but they are aren't a commodity in the NFL.

Originally posted by colingrant2:

I had somewhat of a unique perspective, having lived in Duquesne when I was younger (15 feet from the playground) and in Sewickley, as a teen. I was able to see (when I was a kid) and play (as a teen) against the best of both the mon and beaver valley. In the early 70's I can recall seeing Billy Knight, Pat Hill (Munhall/Robert Morris?) Cliff Sumpter (Clairton/Iowa?) Shawn Leftwich (McKeesport/Jacksonville), Jim Smith (General Braddock/George Washington), Hosea Champagne (General Braddock/Duquesne) Lloyd ???? (Clairton/Marquette) and so on.............. That list is probably 2% of the players I saw pull up in there cars near "the field" as it was affectionately called to play against Duquesne's best.
Pat Hill was out of the old West Mifflin North high school (it seems bizarre to refer to is as "old" when back in that day, it was a practically new school).

Big Lloyd from Clairton was last name Moore. He transferred from Marquette and finished up at Rutgers, as I recall. His older brother John played at Duquesne U. when it was still significant in basketball.

Originally posted by TempleBAPittMPA:

Pat Hill was out of the old West Mifflin North high school (it seems bizarre to refer to is as "old" when back in that day, it was a practically new school).

Big Lloyd from Clairton was last name Moore. He transferred from Marquette and finished up at Rutgers, as I recall. His older brother John played at Duquesne U. when it was still significant in basketball.
Thanks K ................

Like much of you, I'm a long time follower of western PA basketball. Actually did some research on the subject, as I was confounded by the decrease in talent, after having seeing it up close in its heyday. I researched and studied population and demographics of the 70's and compared it against the same data 40 years later.

In the early 80's, I ran a basketball league in Sewickley, in which Ron Rowan & Forrest Grant (Beaver Falls) the Slappy's, George Green and Simmie Hill from Midland, Cicero Lassiter from Rochester, (big time baller only Beaver Countians seem to know) Ronnie Shegog and others from Aliquippa. Being that Sewickley was midway between Beaver valley and Pittsburgh, I was able to draw from the valley and the city, so, the Cosmic Echoes from the Hill (Puffy Kennedy, etc.) Mel Bennett and a team from the north-side also played in it.

And of course, you had the the preeminent outdoor league in the Connie Hawkins league, in the 70's and early/mid 80's. This all leads up to my unscientific conclusions on the areas demise.

1) Playground vs AAU - Players used to create there own competition. The scenario described above, where players just showed up unannounced at certain playgrounds to play against that community's best, was played out all over Pittsburgh. The competition level was FIERCE. Games to 11 took a long time, as the losing team knew the evening was over if they lost. This concept of seeking and experiencing fierce competition on a nightly basis in the summer has seemingly been replaced by AAU ball. I have nothing against AAU ball, but I guess from having experienced and seeing the impact of "outdoor" summer ball, I'm not sure it has replaced the highly competitive nature of playground ball, which is where the majority of players are MADE. The parents of a young kid I coached in Sewickley, asked me how there son can get better. I told them, leave Sewickley and play in the Ozanam league.

2) Iron sharpens Iron - Another component to the playground or pick-up game concept is that it pitted teens against grown men and grown men do not care if you're a teen on the court. They will take advantage of you in a heartbeat as they are playing to win, and will do what's needed to stay on the court. For a teen, playing against early and mid-twenty year olds will make you into a player real, real fast. You will become aggressive and competitive just from having played against bigger, stronger players. AAU ball, places you against your age bracket. When boys play against men, the skill and ability level is greatly accelerated.

3) Demographics - The population totals from in the 70's and today aren't that drastically different. If I recall it was separated by just a couple hundred thousand. Just going on memory here, but what I recall is that the ages of the population shifted towards older people. In other words, there aren't as many kids, especially in areas where many ball players lived. Ringgold, Duquesne, Braddock, Rochester, Beaver Falls, Aliquippa, etc..........those communities are 1/4 to 1/3 of there population levels when the mills roared. I can't speak for the other areas, but in the Valley's, the ballers who once occupied those communities live elsewhere. Those areas are not fraught with school age children playing ball.

4) For those that played basketball and/or football in western PA, there's a 50-60% chance they live elsewhere and have sons who now play and star in the DC area, the Carolina's, Texas and Florida. Having been a subscriber to this board for 10 years now, each year I read about players whose family is from the Pittsburgh area. Those are "would be" WPIAL'ers. The DC area comprises of many. My son attended Dematha and Bishop McNamara high schools and I've come across many parents from Pittsburgh whose sons were playing at either school.
Very good post. Thinking about it, I think it's the combination of several things coming together that has hurt local hoops. Keep in mind that Pittsburgh wasn't a huge city to begin with, and that even though the population in the area hasn't dropped that much, compared to other cities, Pittsburgh has slid way down the list. Pittsburgh was a top 10 metro in the 60's and 70's. It's in the mid 20's now. That means that certain cities which were third, and fourth tier cities, are now major players, and our kids are competing with them for spots on college teams. The skewing of the population older plays a role as well. Then you have the fact that a significant number of young males got sucked into the drug game in the late 80's, going forward. Many promising athletes preferred the fast money in the streets over playing basketball. In addition, the violence, and territorialism created by the widespread sale of drugs. put an end to carloads of kids going around looking for games. For a kid from the Hill, a trip to Homewood could end up being fatal. All of these things combined, seem to have pushed Pittsburgh past the tipping point, at which the quality of competition declined precipitously.

playground ball

so very true. I remember we would get some 13-14 year old kids (we were in college) that would play and we went even harder after them. they took some lumps, but definitely made them better players. And I remember my one and only summer I played in the Ozanam league (only on the lower court :) ). Both of those things are missing today and don't think AAU makes up for it really.

How ironic is it that I started this thread and Marc Marotta died. Marotta was from what I would consider the last era of good western PA HS basketball died.

52 years old. Shame. Marquette great, Harvard law....shame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT