ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 WPIAL Football Players For 2024

He's a 5 star, if he doesn't get a million, it will be close. Either way, why play when you are going to be rich in a few months?
I can't see any school paying an unproven Pittsburgh area High School kid a million dollars. They will pay for proven players in the portal...

Quinton Martin - Belle Vernon - 6-3, 205, running back

4 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, Florida State, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Texas, Boston College, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin

Note: Quinton has a team of advisors… No chance for Pitt

Anthony Speca - Central Catholic - 6-3, 220, inside linebacker

4 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Nebraska, LSU. Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Boston College, Cincinnati, Colorado, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin.

Note: Has shown some interest in Pitt. Likely going elsewhere…For now…. Pitt will be fall back plan….

Cameron Lindsey – Aliquippa - 6-3, 203 - outside linebacker

4 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Maryland, and Syracuse.

Note: Pitt has a good chance

Ryan Cory - Pine-Richland - 6-4, 290, offensive line

3 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville and Oregon.

Note: Pitt has a good chance

Peter Gonzalez - Central Catholic - 6-3, 200, wide receiver

3 Star prospect. P5 Offers: Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Maryland, Miami (Fla.), Syracuse, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin.

Note: Pitt has a good chance. However, he is a legacy. Pitt has not done well in this department

Pitt has a good chance of landing 3 out of the 5 kids listed. Outside chance with Speca. Little chance with Martin...
Regardless of where they eventually commit, I am pretty sure that by the time their NCAA eligibility expires they will all have taken the field at Acrisure Stadium wearing a Pitt uniform.

Have not seen Martin play.

Speca is damn good.

Cory fits this offense perfectly as an IOL.

Don't know about Lindsey

Gonzalez is kinda hard to evaluate in PCC's offense. Didn't see much from him.

Hey bud. You might want to sit this one out. The other poster is related to him.
Given his label, I sure hope so. But nevertheless, if he's going elsewhere, that's fine, but I no longer care.

But let's be clear: the player's name is Speca. The guy's handle is <Speca>. It's not particularly impressive that he is on this particular forum commenting on a local player who is going somewhere else. Honestly, it's somewhat crass.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Given his label, I sure hope so. But nevertheless, if he's going elsewhere, that's fine, but I no longer care.

But let's be clear: the player's name is Speca. The guy's handle is <Speca>. It's not particularly impressive that he is on this particular forum commenting on a local player who is going somewhere else. Honestly, it's somewhat crass.
I’ve been on Pitt sites for 15 yrs jagoff.

How? I for one want to get the insights of a close relative even if he goes somehere else.

Here is a question for this thread.

1/ Can pick any one of them to go to pitt but you know the other 4 are going elsewhere OR let it play out and see how we do?
I think you'd take Speca and let the other 4 go. Martin not having a position worries me. The other 3 we can get similar talent from non WPIAL. I'm also a sucker for a kid who grew up a Pitt fan to play here. I don't think he'll end up here, but I hope he does.

Sorry, people. I don't have any ill will towards Speca. I simply don't waste any time thinking about a kid who isn't coming here. I don't care if he's from Monroeville or Montour or Morocco. If he's not coming here, I'm not worried about it.

And if that makes me a (gasp) jagoff, I can live with it.

If he portals back, it means that he flunked out wherever he went, and we aren't beating Clemson with that.

If he portals back, it means that he flunked out wherever he went, and we aren't beating Clemson with that.
You're making some huge assumptions in your post: 1) that anyone seeking to portal back to Pitt is doing so because they flunked out elsewhere, and 2) that Pitt would take someone who flunked out elsewhere. (With that latter one, you must not think very highly of Pitt's standards.)

I think you'd take Speca and let the other 4 go. Martin not having a position worries me. The other 3 we can get similar talent from non WPIAL. I'm also a sucker for a kid who grew up a Pitt fan to play here. I don't think he'll end up here, but I hope he does.

Martin reminds me of Robert Foster in that he probably goes to a blue blood and does just enough to not transfer but really doesn't have a good college career. At Pitt, he's a 3 or 4 year starter.

You're making some huge assumptions in your post: 1) that anyone seeking to portal back to Pitt is doing so because they flunked out elsewhere, and 2) that Pitt would take someone who flunked out elsewhere. (With that latter one, you must not think very highly of Pitt's standards.)
I think we can safely say that all of the local guys who portal back here, didn't succeed at all in their initial venture. Are you arguing with that premise?

I'm gonna say we get the kid from pr and Gonzalez,I'm gonna say Martin to psu, and I'm gonna listen to the poster that's related to specca and go with Michigan, I have no clue on Lindsay and if his dad's involved I don't see pitt being the destination

Martin- no position, can’t help but remember him getting out run by a kid who will play small college ball. Speaks in the third person (check out his Twitter) 🤦‍♂️. Him & his “team” can seek their $ elsewhere.

Speca- would like to get but seems like Mich from what his uncle says.

Lindsey- dad is all about the $. Sure I would take him but not for $ as he is no Bass.

Cory & Gonzalez- solid but not special IMO at this point in time.

local kids for the most part do better at Pitt. None of these kids are worth Pitt’s NIL $. Pitt needs to spend $ to keep their top players. Then for transfers who can help right away. And last for a select few elite talents like Bass & Harrison. No offense to the locals but none have the talent & upside of Bass & Harrison IMO.

I'm gonna say we get the kid from pr and Gonzalez,I'm gonna say Martin to psu, and I'm gonna listen to the poster that's related to specca and go with Michigan, I have no clue on Lindsay and if his dad's involved I don't see pitt being the destination

Dont know much but:

Aliquippa dad involvement = no Pitt

Pitt legacy = no Pitt

Martin = Ohio State (will think too good for Penn State)

Speca = dont know but definitely not Pitt

Shiny Happy People
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing

I would disagree with this in saying that Robert Foster was a multiple year starter for Alabama and has 2 championship rings. He just could not stay consistently healthy enough to stay on the field. It certainly did not stop him from getting a shot in the NFL as he has collected NFL paychecks for 4 years on various active/practice squad rosters.

In the end he just wasn’t talented or durable enough to be a legitimate NFL WR, I don’t see how that would’ve changed had he went to Pitt.
Was he a big reason they won a ring or was he a passenger?

Sorry, people. I don't have any ill will towards Speca. I simply don't waste any time thinking about a kid who isn't coming here. I don't care if he's from Monroeville or Montour or Morocco. If he's not coming here, I'm not worried about it.

well in theory yeah but you have a 4 star LB recruit in your backyard (Literally) then you build and maintain that relationship. it's not like they are flying our staff out to California every weekend to recruit a 5 star QB that has no desire to play at pitt.

I dont think we are exactly spreading ourselves too thin by recruiting high level western pa kids, it's not exactly draining our recruiting resources by recruiting a kid that goes to school 2 blocks away..

he is a big pitt fan and obviously has us on his proverbial list, you keep recruiting him. This isnt like a Terrelle Pryor situation where we knew we didnt have a chance but he kept us on the list just to be nice, full well knowing he wasnt coming here.

MJ Devonshire says hi.

well in theory yeah but you have a 4 star LB recruit in your backyard (Literally) then you build and maintain that relationship. it's not like they are flying our staff out to California every weekend to recruit a 5 star QB that has no desire to play at pitt.

I dont think we are exactly spreading ourselves too thin by recruiting high level western pa kids, it's not exactly draining our recruiting resources by recruiting a kid that goes to school 2 blocks away..

he is a big pitt fan and obviously has us on his proverbial list, you keep recruiting him. This isnt like a Terrelle Pryor situation where we knew we didnt have a chance but he kept us on the list just to be nice, full well knowing he wasnt coming here.

Say what you will about Paris Ford, but him committing to Pitt so early in the process and then maintaining that commitment was pretty cool. I know there was a little bit of drama at the end, but for the most part the dude could have gone to a lot of places, but he chose to represent his hometown school and did just that.

Imagine that... Paris Ford, of all people. Lol.

MJ Devonshire says hi.

It's okay to do here and there. Devonshire, Johnson, Petrishen, etc. are/were fine ACC players. But I wouldn't make too much of a habit out of it. First off, for every one of them there are three or four Brandon Hodges, Nolan Ulizios, Kedons Slovises, etc. But beyond that, you're taking a guy who was more or less given a first-person evaluation by some of these bigger schools and passed on. Tough to expect to compete with teams if your roster is comprised of their castoffs. At least with high school players, there's a chance a guys was just completely overlooked and/or underwent some type of transformation.

As always, there will be exceptions on both sides of the coin. I'm just talking in generalities.

It's okay to do here and there. Devonshire, Johnson, Petrishen, etc. are/were fine ACC players. But I wouldn't make too much of a habit out of it. First off, for every one of them there are three or four Brandon Hodges, Nolan Ulizios, Kedons Slovises, etc. But beyond that, you're taking a guy who was more or less given a first-person evaluation by some of these bigger schools and passed on. Tough to expect to compete with teams if your roster is comprised of their castoffs. At least with high school players, there's a chance a guys was just completely overlooked and/or underwent some type of transformation.

As always, there will be exceptions on both sides of the coin. I'm just talking in generalities.
generally speaking, i'd rather use a scholarship on a P5 transfer for various reasons. First off, they usually are 2-3 years out of high school, have experienced P5 football and can come in and play right away. Secondly, you arent committed to 4 years of them, usually only one or two years. Third, you dont have a player basically useless as a true or even redshirt freshmen, spending time and resources on them to grow into a College football player..

you are right, it's not a 100% truth either way. I believe some positions you should focus on high school players and others, focus solely on filling with transfers. the way we identify and recruit high school QBs, i'd flat out give up on even trying to recruit a high school QB. we arent good at it, and the ones we do get, are 3-4 years of development and time and practice away from even being College caliber qbs.. I'd almost say the same about tight ends. Bartholomew being the lone exception.

Lets face facts, that high school qb we just got a commitment from, he wont step foot on a field wearing a pitt uniform until best case, 2026 and i'd put those odds at 10:1.. There is a better than 80% chance he never starts a game at pitt.

But other positions, yeah, we do pretty well out of high school. DEs and DTs, keep hitting high schools. Even DBs to a point.. OL, i'd hit up high schools and keep an eye out in the portals. I think WR is 50/50 as well.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

I think if a guy transfers and starts thats a win. Obviously they were starters for a reason here (Slovis) Transfers today are much different than 5 years ago. Kids that are good at places are leaving to play at better programs. A player might be really good stuck behind a high draft pick. There’s a lot of great players in the portal. McMillion was getting a lot of PT at Florida as a true soph. That’s hardly a castoff. The kid wants more time and with these new rules he can easily leave and get what he wants. Its the new world order

I think if a guy transfers and starts thats a win. Obviously they were starters for a reason here (Slovis) Transfers today are much different than 5 years ago. Kids that are good at places are leaving to play at better programs. A player might be really good stuck behind a high draft pick. There’s a lot of great players in the portal. McMillion was getting a lot of PT at Florida as a true soph. That’s hardly a castoff. The kid wants more time and with these new rules he can easily leave and get what he wants. Its the new world order

Yes and no. Would Devonshire be starting if we had Pinnock and Mathis back there? Would Ulizio have started if we had Bisnowaty there? Would Means have played so much if we had last year's receiving corps? Etc., etc., etc.

A team like Pitt will always have some holes, and it's fine to use the portal to plug them. I'm fine with how we've been doing it.

My comment was speaking more to the fact that I don't want to rely too heavily on it, because our better players are almost always going to come from the traditional route. It only makes sense. Proven transfers are even more coveted than most high school prospects.

Yes and no. Would Devonshire be starting if we had Pinnock and Mathis back there? Would Ulizio have started if we had Bisnowaty there? Would Means have played so much if we had last year's receiving corps? Etc., etc., etc.

A team like Pitt will always have some holes, and it's fine to use the portal to plug them. I'm fine with how we've been doing it.

My comment was speaking more to the fact that I don't want to rely too heavily on it, because our better players are almost always going to come from the traditional route. It only makes sense. Proven transfers are even more coveted than most high school prospects.
this "open transfer" portal is still relatively new. Our better players coming from traditional routes (AKA High school) is obvious but that's because 95% of our players were recruited vs transfers so of course that's going to be the case..

need to re-examine this a few years down the road and i think you'll see some big contributors of ours coming from portals as coaches continue to realize this is the new Reality of college football.

WIth that said, i dont see Narduzzi doing anything too drastic. He still believes in recruiting high schools. I think we'll see a few more transfer additions every year but nowhere ever approaching 50 - 50. Makes more sense in basketball than football.

going back to qbs specifically, i feel like we are going to utilize the transfer portal every year to find our starter and still try and find the hidden gem low 3 star high school recruit to fill the qb room and to have someone who can qb the scout team in practices..

I predict that next year, we will again be scouring the portal to find a QB Starter for 2024 and again the following year, etc etc.

this "open transfer" portal is still relatively new. Our better players coming from traditional routes (AKA High school) is obvious but that's because 95% of our players were recruited vs transfers so of course that's going to be the case..

need to re-examine this a few years down the road and i think you'll see some big contributors of ours coming from portals as coaches continue to realize this is the new Reality of college football.

WIth that said, i dont see Narduzzi doing anything too drastic. He still believes in recruiting high schools. I think we'll see a few more transfer additions every year but nowhere ever approaching 50 - 50. Makes more sense in basketball than football.

going back to qbs specifically, i feel like we are going to utilize the transfer portal every year to find our starter and still try and find the hidden gem low 3 star high school recruit to fill the qb room and to have someone who can qb the scout team in practices..

Well it's not like transfers are a completely foreign concept. How many do you think we've taken per year under Narduzzi? I would guess at least 6-8, on average.

Some were really solid. And I think the QB transfers almost have to be evaluated completely differently, so I'll leave them off for now. But take a guy like Hendrix... do you think we have any chance in hell at getting a guy like that if he goes to Tennessee and is anything close to what he was billed as coming out of high school? The odds of us getting any unequivocal studs this way just aren't that high. Solid players? Sure.

Well it's not like transfers are a completely foreign concept. How many do you think we've taken per year under Narduzzi? I would guess at least 6-8, on average.

Some were really solid. And I think the QB transfers almost have to be evaluated completely differently, so I'll leave them off for now. But take a guy like Hendrix... do you think we have any chance in hell at getting a guy like that if he goes to Tennessee and is anything close to what he was billed as coming out of high school? The odds of us getting any unequivocal studs this way just aren't that high. Solid players? Sure.
im not sure if we are disagreeing. im saying that i would much rather take a highly ranked junior transfer from an SEC or Big 10 power house who was recruited over than a typical pitt-type caliber lower 3 star recruit..

I think generally speaking, you'll have better and quicker hit rate with the transfer than the recruit.. Again, dont like to paint with a broad brush, there are exceptions for both and you dont go "all in" on either but find the right mix of recruiting high school players and tranfers..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT