ADVERTISEMENT

tOSU players asked to sign waver re: covid

Even as a 18-22 year old, I probably would have a problem signing
the waiver. No for me but parents and other elders I would be around.

I find this reprehensible. I think this is so wrong. I also expect most colleges to do the exact same thing.

As an aside, would the NCAA allow a special extra year of eligibility if a player decides the risk is too much?

I find this reprehensible. I think this is so wrong. I also expect most colleges to do the exact same thing.

As an aside, would the NCAA allow a special extra year of eligibility if a player decides the risk is too much?
Why do you find it reprehensible? If you polled the players, I guarantee just about all of them want to come back. Not so sure what the big deal is? I just started practices again with my softball team and made them sign waivers too. If they want to play, they needed to sign, if not and they are worried, they do not need to sign and therefore can't play.

Why do you find it reprehensible? If you polled the players, I guarantee just about all of them want to come back. Not so sure what the big deal is? I just started practices again with my softball team and made them sign waivers too. If they want to play, they needed to sign, if not and they are worried, they do not need to sign and therefore can't play.

Do they really have a choice? Do they lose their scholarships if they dont sign? Will the NCAA grant an extra year if they have a legit medical concern directly related to Covid?

I too believe most will sign it and almost all will want to play. But is every company in america going to do this? Are we going to be asked to do this to go to work? Are students returning to campus going to be asked to do this?

Some lawyer is going to love you. Making someone sign a contract under duress isn’t a good look.

Reactions: pitt90seven
In our litigious society, I don't blame them. You always have to CYA because people will sue you over anything.

This semi supports your post

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...otball-coronavirus-confidential-player-survey

I think some lawyer is going to have a better understanding of duress. This ain't it.

Yeah. Wrong word in a legal context. Still doesn't mean that the waiver is going to protect anyone. Especially when it comes to making sure the kids understand the risks because most adults seem to be struggling with it. Also doesn't absolve the school from taking adequate precautions.

I'm sure that the lawyers will test this waiver.
It will not just be the player but the school will be
on named co conspirator.

Why?
Only if the school is contractually obligated to pay for my treatment AND honor my full scholarship

Why should this be a big issue? In the age group here, being asymptomatic or having very mild symptoms would be the norm for the very few who might catch get it. Any real risk would be to elderly or vulnerable family members--but once at school as a boarding student even that should mostly go away. Just test every guy daily (the 15 minute result test) and isolate for the needed period of time the occasional guy who may test positive. Then that guy won't go home to have contact with any at risk family member until he is no longer positive for the required period of time. It isn't that big a deal if handled correctly, IMHO. But a waiver would still be needed because we live in such an overly litigious society.

Are we going to be asked to do this to go to work?

You aren't going to be asked to do that if you go to work, because if you get sick at work you are going to be covered under workman's comp. Since the NCAA insists that student-athletes are NOT employees they are not covered under workman's comp.

You aren't going to be asked to do that if you go to work, because if you get sick at work you are going to be covered under workman's comp. Since the NCAA insists that student-athletes are NOT employees they are not covered under workman's comp.

Correct which is one of the issues I have here.

gross. i've said it many times: if we take our anti-psu bias out of it, OSU is clearly the more disgusting program.
The most disturbing part of it is that they make it look like it's some sort of patriotic (to OSU) duty. Meanwhile it's a self-serving contract on the part of the university to protect the university, disguised as an oath of loyalty.

Every HS in PA has to come up with their own individual safety plan to return school and athletics. I know of at least 30+ schools who've been advised to have waivers signed by parents to allow their kids to participate in athletics this fall.

Even as a 18-22 year old, I probably would have a problem signing
the waiver. No for me but parents and other elders I would be around.
So is this the way we're going? Trump love his fans but doesn't want any responsibility if they contract Covid-19 at his rally. Major colleges are going to put the blame and responsibility on players if they contract Covid-19 at a university owned facility. It's a lot like consumers being forced to give up the right to engage in a class action lawsuit but instead have to go to arbitration. There's got to be a loophole for the players somewhere.

Waiver is harmless and pretty much common sense. Not much different than signing an injury waiver if you're a guest at someone else's facility. Why are people making a big deal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT