ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo agrees with SMF

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
We are the only 2 people that have said that there shouldn't be a "signing day" and that players should be able to sign at any time during their senior year. This idea of a verbal commitment makes absolutely no sense. If the player and program feels its a good match, sign. If not, then wait until you are 100% sure.

Reactions: PittPharmacy1989
We are the only 2 people that have said that there shouldn't be a "signing day" and that players should be able to sign at any time during their senior year. This idea of a verbal commitment makes absolutely no sense. If the player and program feels its a good match, sign. If not, then wait until you are 100% sure.
Hearing that one of you two will earn over $10M this year.

Hmmmm, which one of you could that be?

e7ae545bb5212ceca1ef8d9987cc6a86_w200.gif

so you want signing day to be first day of school instead of in december? just move it up a few months?

I mean, OK, sure. not exactly an industry changing climactic event here..

Ive literally heard 1000s of people say the same thing in my life

• Haha
Reactions: joeydavid
so you want signing day to be first day of school instead of in december? just move it up a few months?

I mean, OK, sure. not exactly an industry changing climactic event here..
Whenever the deadline is, there are still going to be flips on the day of the deadline, so I do not think moving it up a couple months makes a big difference.

I guess you could make it so there is no deadline at all, but I am not sure schools would want that. I bet there is lots of buyer's regret when schools offer scholarships to 8th-9th graders, and it would probably be problematic when you start having kids actually sign that early.

When these guys offer an 8th grader, why can't the kid just sign that day? If the kid is worth an offer, it's stupid to wait until senior year, right?

Reactions: pittmeister
to stick up for SMF, i think he was referring to a recruit's first day of his senior year of high school.

I hope anyways..

When these guys offer an 8th grader, why can't the kid just sign that day? If the kid is worth an offer, it's stupid to wait until senior year, right?

No, as soon as the kid becomes a senior, so I guess July 1 is when the new academic year starts, you should be able to sign at any time from July 1 until Feb/March.

Is there a link to this proclamation from Dabo? I want to read the entire quote or article before I comment. Thanks…

No way. Let them sign as soon as there's an offer. What's a good reason for setting an arbitrary date?
I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but you have to give a kid time to explore options. I agree that once they're a senior if they want to sign they should be able to sign whenever.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but you have to give a kid time to explore options. I agree that once they're a senior if they want to sign they should be able to sign whenever.
I'm not. It doesn't make much sense to claim one arbitrary date is better than another and there are reasons that quiet periods exist. It's also not about what the kids want. Dabo and some other coaches want to operate like used car salesman and threaten to pull the offer if a kid doesn't sign on the spot.

Signing day doesn’t seem to mean anything anymore, so sure, get rid of it
Just let everybody sign any time they want, we don't need to have some high school kid sitting at a table with 3 hats and everyone holding their breath to see which one he picks. Half the time they are busts in college and that's the last time they are on TV :)

Ive literally heard 1000s of people say the same thing in my life

If @Sean Miller Fan bothered to follow Pitt athletics; other than to troll his delusional thoughts- he would have heard HCPN say what literally 1000s of people have already said many times over. Lol what a buffoon.

I recently heard someone agree with something I have said for years. Water is wet. I can't believe no one has thought of this before. Look at the genius of joeydavid. I'm the smartest, bestest thinker I know. 😆

people think you can only sign on Signing day and it's not true. you can sign after signing day too.. just most people sign on LOI day but it's not a rule..

If @Sean Miller Fan bothered to follow Pitt athletics; other than to troll his delusional thoughts- he would have heard HCPN say what literally 1000s of people have already said many times over. Lol what a buffoon.

I recently heard someone agree with something I have said for years. Water is wet. I can't believe no one has thought of this before. Look at the genius of joeydavid. I'm the smartest, bestest thinker I know. 😆
SMF: "When you pee your pants, your undies get wet!"

Just let everybody sign any time they want, we don't need to have some high school kid sitting at a table with 3 hats and everyone holding their breath to see which one he picks. Half the time they are busts in college and that's the last time they are on TV :)
Probably more than half. But part of my thinking is that all the old rules that tied players to their original programs are falling by the wayside. The oppressive LOI is bound to be challenged in court sooner than later. But like everything else it won’t be the idealism but the money… The NIL deal falls through, and the kid won’t want to go to the school he signed with anymore…that is destined to repeat, and the NCAA’s only way to handle it will be to drop it, like they’ve done with everything else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT