ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Ryno53

Redshirt
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2013
Louis Newell entered the portal yesterday according to FLO. I understand why he is leaving (don't think he can make 125 any more and is blocked at 133/141) but he was talented showed flashes. They also have listed Nye and Tuttle who were off the roster a few months ago so no surprise there.

On the flip side a few interesting guys have entered that would have at least me intrigued. Verklereen from PSU would be an upgrade for this year at either 49 or 57. I do like Burnett a lot so wouldn't mind leaving him alone. 157 has Mancini eligible for next year (Badgett needs a true redshirt yr IMO) but if an upgrade is available i wouldnt turn it down.

Not too many 125's have hit the market yet, Nicky Raimo did but he was listed as a 133 but has wrestled 125. Only other name of note is Park from Clarion. Hasnt done much recently but was a highly ranked kid. I am assuming Stanford's 125 will be entering soon who would also be an upgrade, honestly almost any of their starters would be a solid addition specifically either Abas or Wood but those will be highly sought after guys (not even going to mention Griffith because we have Wentzel haha)

I would love Verkleeren at 157. I don't Mancini is guaranteed to be a dude right away. Id like for him to just come in and lock it down, but I don't know if he will. No info to back that up. Just my gut feeling.

I don't think anyone at 125 is worth taking over Camacho. I think Camacho will end up being pretty good with time.

Reactions: _DBHoops
I would love Verkleeren at 157. I don't Mancini is guaranteed to be a dude right away. Id like for him to just come in and lock it down, but I don't know if he will. No info to back that up. Just my gut feeling.

I don't think anyone at 125 is worth taking over Camacho. I think Camacho will end up being pretty good with time.

Agree with your takes on all three guys.
It's obvious he needs to find his offense over the offseason, but Camacho scrapped this year.

I hope Badgett gets to redshirt next year, he has good offense and a lot of potential.

Reactions: TONY13 and persp
The transfer market could be a good opportunity for teams with scholarships available this year. Not what kinda money Pitt has but more competition in the room never hurt anyone. I thought Verkleeren was a solid option when he became available. He may not be an AA or national champ but he would definitely upgrade the lineup.

The transfer market could be a good opportunity for teams with scholarships available this year. Not what kinda money Pitt has but more competition in the room never hurt anyone. I thought Verkleeren was a solid option when he became available. He may not be an AA or national champ but he would definitely upgrade the lineup.

I'm sure Verkleeren has a wealth of knowledge that some of our younger guys have not been exposed to, also. Given that he spent the last three years going against Zain and Nolf in the best room in the country. And he has two years of eligibility if he wants it.

Reactions: lucac
Joey Prata (125) just entered. Im sure he has graduated so i think he is free to transfer wherever so doesnt matter about ACC to ACC if i am not mistaken. Another guy i would target is Kizhan Clarke from American, had a great last chance open beating some studs this past weekend.

Joey Prata (125) just entered. Im sure he has graduated so i think he is free to transfer wherever so doesnt matter about ACC to ACC if i am not mistaken. Another guy i would target is Kizhan Clarke from American, had a great last chance open beating some studs this past weekend.
Thanks for sharing!

If i remember correctly Pitt wrestling would practice in the field house down the stairs behind the track. it was a room with support beams staggered thru out the mats. Is that still where they practice? I know some new things are on the horizon but i can remember taking recruiting visits with my son to alot of Ohio D2 schools with some really nice wrestling rooms. If they still practice in the same place i can see why some top ranked recruits can be less than impressed. Hell our football stadium at clarion was smaller than most high schools and our locker rooms was primitive. Hopefully the project up on the hill improves alot of the facilities.

Kizhan Clarke would be a nice pickup the kid is solid. Bwh05 do you know how much scholarship money they have to play with?

Kizhan Clarke would be a nice pickup the kid is solid. Bwh05 do you know how much scholarship money they have to play with?

Actually quite a bit with Steen jumping off. I think we'll have a good chance to land someone that makes an immediate impact. I think the portal is going to be pretty busy this year.

You're correct Clarke would probably fit well.

Well traveled. He’s getting the full college experience

to be fair eastern Michigan dropped program so he had to leave but to your point this would be third program but obviously very talented and a welcomed addition

Kind of sad to see schools cancelling wrestling. My son had just finished his freshman year wrestling at Duquesne when they cancelled. I and a number of other parents wanted to get involved in fixing the budget shortfall but nothing was going to be listened to. Wrestling gets in your blood and i enjoyed my days on varsity football at clarion but really got into supporting alot of my friends that wrestled at clarion. Unfortunately alot of people dont get it but a cheap sport in comparison to most sports in a college program.

Kind of sad to see schools cancelling wrestling. My son had just finished his freshman year wrestling at Duquesne when they cancelled. I and a number of other parents wanted to get involved in fixing the budget shortfall but nothing was going to be listened to. Wrestling gets in your blood and i enjoyed my days on varsity football at clarion but really got into supporting alot of my friends that wrestled at clarion. Unfortunately alot of people dont get it but a cheap sport in comparison to most sports in a college program.
The one hope to save and grow college wrestling will be the rise of women's wrestling in college, not an expensive sport and would alleviate some of the title IX pressures.

The one hope to save and grow college wrestling will be the rise of women's wrestling in college, not an expensive sport and would alleviate some of the title IX pressures.
I agree completely. Im curious to know how many programs could be filled to compete right now. Also, how many weight classes and which ones. I really would like to see NCAA womens wrestling happen sooner than later

I agree completely. Im curious to know how many programs could be filled to compete right now. Also, how many weight classes and which ones. I really would like to see NCAA womens wrestling happen sooner than later
It would be tough right now because there are not enough states strong girls wrestling.

Reactions: persp
True, but that might be a chicken or egg kind of thing. It may grow faster if the option is there for them to pursue

It's definitely growing from the looks of it. Hopefully that helps the men as well because Covid has really put a crunch on AD's financially.

Reactions: persp
I don't care for girls' wrestling or title 9, but if that's what it takes to get more D1 wrestling programs, so be it.

Lol don't hurt yourself signaling there, big guy
I guess you didnt watch it then. Its good wrestling, period.

I dont put many women's sports on par with the men's side, but wrestling is damn close. Tennis and volleyball are even better than the men's offerings in those sports. Im not being political here. Just calling a spade a spade

Last edited:
It seems there were some RTC issues. Nothing positive yet but don’t be surprised to see them move on. With the extra years guys are coming back for you will see a lot of guys moving through the portal just hoping that coach Gavin and co. Can get in on a few of them.

Reactions: dougpaper and persp
Gary Traub AKA Gas Tank Gary listed Pitt in his top 5 along with Oregon State, Indiana, Purdue, and Iowa State. HWT transfer who did very 2019-2020

That's awesome!

In my humble opinion GTG would be a minor upgrade over Cooley at best though. With only one year of eligibility. It seems like the staff priorities for transfers are first 49/57 (obviously), then 174, and then putting out some feelers at 125 and 285 for guys who can compete with Cooley/Camacho.

Reactions: singregardless
That's awesome!

In my humble opinion GTG would be a minor upgrade over Cooley at best though. With only one year of eligibility. It seems like the staff priorities for transfers are first 49/57 (obviously), then 174, and then putting out some feelers at 125 and 285 for guys who can compete with Cooley/Camacho.

I feel pretty much the same way but GTG has beat top 20 guys where Cooley has been close. Even a minor upgrade like him could swing a dual (Virginia match this year!). Sign me up for talent and let it all play out in the room.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT