Chescat

All Conference
Jul 5, 2001
Well one thing we've wondered about......will we play two bigs at once? We
did on a few occasions, and IMO it helped. I hope we go with it again. The
game started with two Pitt turnovers....both because of Brown. No surprise
there. However, he picked up the effort later in the game and was strong
at the end. I really feel he can give us a lot if he has another big in there
battling and taking some of the pressure off of him.
Ugly win, but as Capel said afterwards...."GRIT." Can't argue with that.

I think one of the things that playing Brown with Hamilton and Champagnie did was that it allowed Brown to aggressively try to block shots while leaving a good rebounder there when he either didn't get one or when he altered the shot but it still got up on the glass. They only have Brown with two blocks, which seems well off, but he also altered several more.

I think one of the things that playing Brown with Hamilton and Champagnie did was that it allowed Brown to aggressively try to block shots while leaving a good rebounder there when he either didn't get one or when he altered the shot but it still got up on the glass. They only have Brown with two blocks, which seems well off, but he also altered several more.

I agree and I just have a feeling that when he doesn't have to do the
heavy duty work, he can be useful. Let's face it, he's not a grinder,
not a mauler, he's a finesse type. He also has some touch on his shot.
He was very strong with his free throw shooting, and hit an outside jumper.

I would like to see Capel occasionally use Hamilton on the inside doing
the "dirty" work, while drifting Brown to the 12 foot area and let him shoot.
Hell, he just might be a better shooter from this area than some of
our other players.

Well one thing we've wondered about......will we play two bigs at once? We
did on a few occasions, and IMO it helped. I hope we go with it again. The
game started with two Pitt turnovers....both because of Brown. No surprise
there. However, he picked up the effort later in the game and was strong
at the end. I really feel he can give us a lot if he has another big in there
battling and taking some of the pressure off of him.
Ugly win, but as Capel said afterwards...."GRIT." Can't argue with that.
You really think those 1st two turnovers were Brown’s fault. Maybe one but definitely not both. 2nd was a forced entry pass that didn’t have a chance of making it to Brown. 1st one somewhat made it there but wasn’t a blatant fumble by Brown.

Reactions: Drew1208
He altered a lot.
He's really good at that

I liked the 2 big lineup but can see it causing problems in ACC when we need to maximize shooters on the floor like Murphy, Champagnie, Johnson, and cough McGowens cough. Those 4 are likely to average between 25-35 minutes a game as the season goes on IMHO.

You really think those 1st two turnovers were Brown’s fault. Maybe one but definitely not both. 2nd was a forced entry pass that didn’t have a chance of making it to Brown. 1st one somewhat made it there but wasn’t a blatant fumble by Brown.

Yes I did, and I'll tell you why. I watched the replay of the second one.
It looked like the pass from X was off, but that's only because Brown
never reached for it. Hell, with his arm span it was easily within reach.
X threw it away from where Brown's defender was playing him. Brown
should have caught it, spun, and would have had a layup or dunk.
Sorry but I also thought the first one WAS a "blatant fumble by Brown."
A big HAS to catch that pass....he's taught to come to the ball (pass)
inside. The defender is taught to pressure that kind of pass.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I liked the 2 big lineup but can see it causing problems in ACC when we need to maximize shooters on the floor like Murphy, Champagnie, Johnson, and cough McGowens cough. Those 4 are likely to average between 25-35 minutes a game as the season goes on IMHO.

Well tonight those four played 40, 35, 23 and 23. Obviously most night you want those 23s to be in the low 30s, but I would guess that ideally that 40 and 35 aren't nearly that high. Maybe 32-34ish and 30ish. Also ideally Ezeakudo's number wouldn't be 3, it would be 0.

Yes I did, and I'll tell you why. I watched the replay of the second one.
It looked like the pass from X was off, but that's only because Brown
never reached for it. Hell, with his arm span it was easily within reach.
X threw it away from where Brown's defender was playing him. Brown
should have caught it, spun, and would have had a layup or dunk.
Sorry but I also thought the first one WAS a "blatant fumble by Brown."
A big HAS to catch that pass....he's taught to come to the ball (pass)
inside. The defender is taught to pressure that kind of pass.
We’ll have to agree to disagree because there is no way I would pin that 2nd turnover on Brown. I did the same as you, reviewed it to see if Brown could have positioned himself better to shield the defender from the ball and catch it but I just don’t see it.

We don't have to do it all 40 minutes. However as a change up go with it.
As far as shooters on the floor, Brown is probably as good as some of our
other players, who are getting blanketed by the way. He's probably
going to have an open shot, because the opposition's big will only come
outside so far. Brown getting open foul line type jumpers would be
a good thing. He looked pretty good from that area tonight. He also hit
a very smooth outside jumper when our other guys couldn't put it in the
ocean from outside. Just my two cents, but he has a nice jumper, and could
do some damage from the forward position while Coulibaly and Hamilton
do the dirty inside work, which Brown doesn't do.

We’ll have to agree to disagree because there is no way I would pin that 2nd turnover on Brown. I did the same as you, reviewed it to see if Brown could have positioned himself better to shield the defender from the ball and catch it but I just don’t see it.

No problem...we agree to disagree.

I remember Brown having several nice mid-range jumpers throughout the season last year. If he can continue to do so then I agree that the 2-big lineup can work in stretches. Put him at the foul line area and Hamilton down low for some high low action (Brown is a decent passer).

I remember Brown having several nice mid-range jumpers throughout the season last year. If he can continue to do so then I agree that the 2-big lineup can work in stretches. Put him at the foul line area and Hamilton down low for some high low action (Brown is a decent passer).
I actualy like the fact that the last two games started with Capel having them go inside on the first possessions. The time for Brown to be aggressive is setting himself up in the post and creating a good angle for the entry pass. Hands are God given, I only had to see Clancy and Blair play for 30 seconds to know that they were different in catching a pass than anyone else who played for Pitt.

I actualy like the fact that the last two games started with Capel having them go inside on the first possessions. The time for Brown to be aggressive is setting himself up in the post and creating a good angle for the entry pass. Hands are God given, I only had to see Clancy and Blair play for 30 seconds to know that they were different in catching a pass than anyone else who played for Pitt.

Good comparison. We are seeing just the opposite with Brown. First of
all he doesn't come to the ball...that is something that bigs are taught
when in the post and catching the entry pass.
Secondly, as we all know he's weak, and has poor hands.
Yet every now and then we get glimpses of what he CAN do. Tonight
when he returned after being benched, he looked good. I like his
stroke, it's pretty smooth. I say...put him in position where he has some
strengths.

Reactions: lilspainishflea

I dont think you can leave Brown in as the lone big too much. He cant rebound.

As I posted in another thread yesterday. The PT math works for having two bigs in the game together instead of mostly 3 guards aand only one big.

Play one Big + 3 guards for ~15 Minutes and two bigs plus 2 guards for ~25 minutes.

This leaves 45 minutes (one big offense) plus 50 minutes (two big offense) to be shared by the 3 guards for a total of ~95 guard minutes. Divide by 3 and the 3 guards can each average ~32 minutes.

IMHO, something like this maximizes overall team potential given our roster makeup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT