ADVERTISEMENT

UNC turned down NIT. Should they turn down Birmingham Bowl next year?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
UNC football will be ranked fairly high. If they land in a terrible bowl like Birmingham should they turn that down also? Its actually much more difficult to make the NIT than it is a terrible bowl game. I understand the disappointment of not making the NCAAT but I dont get the logic of programs playing in trash bowl games like Detroit, Birmingham, Boston, etc but thinking they are too good for the NIT, which you generally have to be one of the Top 80 of 353 teams to make.

well yes, they should. playing in the NIT for a program like UNC is embarrassing. i dont put their football program on same level but im surprised more of these P5 programs dont decline some of these dumb bowl invites.

Yeah getting a few of your redshirt freshmen more practice reps help but does it off set the costs it takes to participate in these bowl games that bring little, if any, revenue?

UNC football will be ranked fairly high. If they land in a terrible bowl like Birmingham should they turn that down also? Its actually much more difficult to make the NIT than it is a terrible bowl game. I understand the disappointment of not making the NCAAT but I dont get the logic of programs playing in trash bowl games like Detroit, Birmingham, Boston, etc but thinking they are too good for the NIT, which you generally have to be one of the Top 80 of 353 teams to make.
How much does the NIT pay? Most likely not enough for the ACC to make a stink about it and force UNC to play. The toilet bowls bring in a decent amount of money that goes into the pot for everyone in the conference, outside of the COVID years there's no way a conference is going to allow a school to bail from any bowl.

How much does the NIT pay? Most likely not enough for the ACC to make a stink about it and force UNC to play. The toilet bowls bring in a decent amount of money that goes into the pot for everyone in the conference, outside of the COVID years there's no way a conference is going to allow a school to bail from any bowl.

It costs more to travel to the worst bowls than the amount they pay. So your premise is incorrect. Its a much bigger accomplishment to make the NIT than the Fenway Bowl or Little Ceaser's Bowl. Again, you have to be Top 80 if 365 to make the NIT. 80 of 120 make bowl games.

accepting an NIT invite, if you are a blue blood, makes sense if you are a really young team and just starting to build some chemistry. i think you swallow your pride then and play.

im not an expert on UNC basketball but i think Bacot, Nance and Black are done, Love and Davis are juniors, not sure if they are players looking to leave early for nba (or if they are good enough).

if you are turning over 2/3rds of your roster, at least the ones that play, then declining an NIT invite makes sense. again, i dont know much about their younger players.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I get what you are saying…but there is a big gap between NCAA and NIT.

There is a less of a gap between shitty bowl and less shitty bowl. It’s more perception and how you can still win a title as opposed to “relative difficulty to get there”

Don’t get me wrong - it’s arrogant for them not to go, especially since they Werent snubbed.

accepting an NIT invite, if you are a blue blood, makes sense if you are a really young team and just starting to build some chemistry. i think you swallow your pride then and play.

im not an expert on UNC basketball but i think Bacot, Nance and Black are done, Love and Davis are juniors, not sure if they are players looking to leave early for nba (or if they are good enough).

if you are turning over 2/3rds of your roster, at least the ones that play, then declining an NIT invite makes sense. again, i dont know much about their younger players.
It doesn't look very good on the heels of asking for uneven revenue. Maybe they mean they should take less than standard.

There is a less of a gap between shitty bowl and less shitty bowl. It’s more perception and how you can still win a title as opposed to “relative difficulty to get there”

Don’t get me wrong - it’s arrogant for them not to go, especially since they Werent snubbed.

I get all that. But plain and simple, the NIT is better than a shitty bowl and probably about equal to a mid-tier bowl like Belk, Pinstripe, Music City, etc. But if Clemson went 6-6 next year and wound up in Birmingham, there is a 0.0% chance they'd decline even though its an embarrassment. I just dont understand why even the worst bowls are looked upon more favorably than the NIT, which is much more difficult to make.

Right. I think the gap between the NCAA and NIT is huge. And then the gap down to the CBI is even bigger.

I think us playing in the CBI was ridiculous but I could never see Pitt declining an NIT, even if it happened on the heels of our most successful seasons.

Huh, I thought they (and FSU) needed revenue ???

It costs more to travel to the worst bowls than the amount they pay. So your premise is incorrect. Its a much bigger accomplishment to make the NIT than the Fenway Bowl or Little Ceaser's Bowl. Again, you have to be Top 80 if 365 to make the NIT. 80 of 120 make bowl games.
All of the ACC bowl money gets pooled together and disturbed evenly, the conference isn't going to give up the $1.375 million from the Birmingham Bowl if there's a 10th ACC team bowl eligible. The "dur teams lose money going to bowls" is bs from the AD's to help ramp up donations, if teams were losing money there wouldn't be so many bowls.

Also, Boomers and older Gen X'ers need to realize that NO ONE under the age of 55 thinks the NIT is any kind of accomplishment, it's the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl of college hoops.

All of the ACC bowl money gets pooled together and disturbed evenly, the conference isn't going to give up the $1.375 million from the Birmingham Bowl if there's a 10th ACC team bowl eligible. The "dur teams lose money going to bowls" is bs from the AD's to help ramp up donations, if teams were losing money there wouldn't be so many bowls.

Also, Boomers and older Gen X'ers need to realize that NO ONE under the age of 55 thinks the NIT is any kind of accomplishment, it's the Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl of college hoops.
i am a younger Gen X (since we are breaking this up into seperate categories) and i agree, the NIT Is absolutely no accomplishment or even consolation prize. it's a decent chance to play more games and makes sense if you have a young team coming back, to get some chemistry going.

that's why i think UNC sitting this out makes sense. 3 are seniors and RJ Davis is a jr who will enter portal. they are starting over next year anyways so another game or two of black, bacot and nance is just delaying the inevitable..

Football and basketball post seasons are not comparable. Just like their regular seasons aren’t.

In addition, the NIT comps travel expenses, but only pays a few thousand dollars per game. So, UNC wouldn’t have a revenue stream from an NIT appearance.

How is it an accomplishment to make a tournament where there are no good teams?

Football and basketball post seasons are not comparable. Just like their regular seasons aren’t.

In addition, the NIT comps travel expenses, but only pays a few thousand dollars per game. So, UNC wouldn’t have a revenue stream from an NIT appearance.

So they won’t lose money but they won’t make any either, right?

I assumed schools had to pay for travel expenses for the NIT. Makes it even more of a no brainer if that stuff off covered.

So they won’t lose money but they won’t make any either, right?

I assumed schools had to pay for travel expenses for the NIT. Makes it even more of a no brainer if that stuff off covered.
Here’s a link from 2021.

“The NCAA has a complex way of rewarding teams for participating in March Madness. For the NIT, it’s much simpler. In addition to having travel, hotel and other expenses comped, each school in the NIT is given $4,000 for every game it plays. It’s a total payout pool of $128,000 this year.”

UNC also wouldn't get any revenue from a crap bowl game. Its paid to the league and disbursed evenly. Revenue is no argument here. The best way to maximize bowl revenue is not go to one because then you dont have travel expenses and food for 200 people.

UNC also wouldn't get any revenue from a crap bowl game. Its paid to the league and disbursed evenly. Revenue is no argument here. The best way to maximize bowl revenue is not go to one because then you dont have travel expenses and food for 200 people.
I’m pretty sure you’re the only one making the claim that the NIT is better than a lower tier football bowl game.

I’m pretty sure you’re the only one making the claim that the NIT is better than a lower tier football bowl game.

Plain and simple, if you think the lowest tier bowl games are better than the NIT, you probably have an intellectual disability. Now, you can make other arguments such as "the ACC wont let you turn down the Birmingham Bowl" or "the underclassmen (not seniors of course) really love playing in bowl games." But you absolutely cant say they are better than the NIT. You only need to go 5-6 vs FBS teams + 1 FCS win to make a bowl game and can get in at 4-7 + 1 FCS win. Wake didnt even make the NIT this year despite going 19-14, 10-8 in the ACC. Its much more difficult to make the NIT than the worst bowl games.

Plain and simple, if you think the lowest tier bowl games are better than the NIT, you probably have an intellectual disability. Now, you can make other arguments such as "the ACC wont let you turn down the Birmingham Bowl" or "the underclassmen (not seniors of course) really love playing in bowl games." But you absolutely cant say they are better than the NIT. You only need to go 5-6 vs FBS teams + 1 FCS win to make a bowl game and can get in at 4-7 + 1 FCS win. Wake didnt even make the NIT this year despite going 19-14, 10-8 in the ACC. Its much more difficult to make the NIT than the worst bowl games.
I don’t have to say it. UNC said it for me.

Making a bowl game generally means going like 3-6 (at minimum) against teams with a pulse, and some of those pulses are awfully faint. I agree it is no accomplishment. But it's probably more important to participate in than the NIT when you factor in practice time. Which I always found funny, because the teams that don't make a bowl obviously need it more.

I suspect we'll see a lot more NIT opt-outs as we continue down this path of player empowerment, though. And maybe that won't even be a bad thing. I mean, even though bowl games are less of an accomplishment, at least they're preparing your team for the next season. Basketball is a pickup game with a brand new draft each offseason. Might as well give the spot to a team that wants to be in it.

No one under the age of dead thinks any of the non NY6 bowls are any kind of accomplishment

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
That team didn’t want to play together anymore. They just wanted the season to end and hang up their sneakers for a month. The NIT just happens to be the victim.

I suspect that it’s all about a head coach judging how hungry his team is following a very disappointing season.
If his team played in the NIT and simply went thru the motions and did poorly, that would worsen their situation.

Some schools actually do lose money going to bowl games. However, the reason is because they expand the size of their official travel party to include major donors, and they pretty much treat them to an expense free week of luxury, all for the purpose of keeping the donations coming.

Reactions: pittdan77
That team didn’t want to play together anymore. They just wanted the season to end and hang up their sneakers for a month. The NIT just happens to be the victim.
This year’s UNC basketball team reminds me of 70% of Notre Dame’s football teams. High pre-season rankings, with an average record at the end of the season.

Oh... and not to spread rumors, (which really means I'm getting ready to spread one) talking with some UNC fans at Greensboro, there is talk that they may have some girlfriend/teammate trouble very similar to what was rumored at Pitt a few years ago.

Making a bowl game generally means going like 3-6 (at minimum) against teams with a pulse, and some of those pulses are awfully faint. I agree it is no accomplishment. But it's probably more important to participate in than the NIT when you factor in practice time. Which I always found funny, because the teams that don't make a bowl obviously need it more.

I suspect we'll see a lot more NIT opt-outs as we continue down this path of player empowerment, though. And maybe that won't even be a bad thing. I mean, even though bowl games are less of an accomplishment, at least they're preparing your team for the next season. Basketball is a pickup game with a brand new draft each offseason. Might as well give the spot to a team that wants to be in it.

Teams are allowed to practice if they dont make a bowl game. Nobody does but you are allowed. Same with teams who miss the NCAAT/NIT. If practice was so important, you can turn down the Birmingham Bowl but still hold practices

Teams are allowed to practice if they dont make a bowl game. Nobody does but you are allowed. Same with teams who miss the NCAAT/NIT. If practice was so important, you can turn down the Birmingham Bowl but still hold practices
The NCAA only allows teams that are going to play in a bowl game to continue practice post season.

”NCAA rules allow bowl teams to practice or hold other athletic activities up to four hours per day or 20 hours per week between the end of the regular season and a bowl game. While coaches often refer to the "15 extra practices" that come with a bowl invitation, there is no specific limit to the number of practices a team can hold during bowl preparation.”

On the other hand, Clemson fans are convinced that if they had the same resume and were UNC, would be in.
I'm surprised they chose Pitt over them to be honest, actual game results, records, head-to-head, means least of all it seems. You can analyze the rosters and see that UNC is "really better" Pitt beat them twice, but we know UNC is "Still Better" right? Plus, TV ratings matter more than who won the game or had a better record, so the committee screwed up, wouldn't the First 4 get better ratings with UNC, that matters more than records or game results, right?

I'm surprised they chose Pitt over them to be honest, actual game results, records, head-to-head, means least of all it seems. You can analyze the rosters and see that UNC is "really better" Pitt beat them twice, but we know UNC is "Still Better" right? Plus, TV ratings matter more than who won the game or had a better record, so the committee screwed up, wouldn't the First 4 get better ratings with UNC, that matters more than records or game results, right?
If that's the case, NC State should be the one thrown out. They lost twice to Clemson and once to Pitt.

If that's the case, NC State should be the one thrown out. They lost twice to Clemson and once to Pitt.
But Coach V, "Never give up, don't ever give up", Showing that clip is better for TV than having Pitt :)

They are a proud blue blood basketball program with great history and tradition. I can see why they turned their nose up at it.

They’re the opposite of that in football. They’re happy with anything they get.

I think it would be pretty baller if Heather sent UNC our NCAAT share from last night with a note saying "Heard you need this more than us."

I’m told that there internal problems at UNC with this Hubie decision to end their season. With Roy 10 years ago, he and the program looked at the NIT as a way to get better and honor the sport at the same time. With this decision, Hubie had the seniors vote and the decision was made to not play. This infuriated the younger players because they were not involved in the decision making. Now Hubie has a mess trying to put out the fire with the younger players. A couple might hit portal. And Hubie is also circling back with his recruits trying to keep them positive as well. Lots of unhappy people there and the fans aren’t happy either.

I’m told that there internal problems at UNC with this Hubie decision to end their season. With Roy 10 years ago, he and the program looked at the NIT as a way to get better and honor the sport at the same time. With this decision, Hubie had the seniors vote and the decision was made to not play. This infuriated the younger players because they were not involved in the decision making. Now Hubie has a mess trying to put out the fire with the younger players. A couple might hit portal. And Hubie is also circling back with his recruits trying to keep them positive as well. Lots of unhappy people there and the fans aren’t happy either.
Fans have been unhappy most of this season.

Preseason number one to dumpster fire a several month period.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I understand why the younger guys wanted to play. What i don't understand is, why not let the older guys opt out? Sure, you take a smaller roster with you but it's a built in excuse. Something college coaches love.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT