ADVERTISEMENT

Underwood busy recruiting WR transfers

pierre93

Athletic Director
Apr 2, 2004
Hope to land a few. H2P!!!

Anyone notice Marion throwing offers out to 9th graders like an old hooker who throws out her back on a wild night?

Really hope those are truly committable offers. Otherwise, he's just playing with kids and their families. More then likely he's trying to scratch the back of 2/10th's crew in order to try and create hype for these kids. The same thing 2/10th tried to do with PITT for many kids who couldn't play at PITT and it creates a ton of animosity between the locals and PITT.

Interesting how our
top WR's are all from
the portal. Obviously
that reflects the time,
but we do seem to
have a group of young
WR recruits on the
way. The incoming
frosh look good IMO.

Anyone notice Marion throwing offers out to 9th graders like an old hooker who throws out her back on a wild night?

Really hope those are truly committable offers. Otherwise, he's just playing with kids and their families. More then likely he's trying to scratch the back of 2/10th's crew in order to try and create hype for these kids. The same thing 2/10th tried to do with PITT for many kids who couldn't play at PITT and it creates a ton of animosity between the locals and PITT.
who did he offer?

who did he offer?
He's probably offered a dozen or more pa kids. He offered the Scoop Smith kid from WH and the Crosby kid out of GCC. Both are severely undersized freshman. He offered a kid from York William Penn who is an undersized freshman linebacker.

I think we'd be holding him to a pretty unique standard if we're asking him to only extend committable offers. No one in the country does that.

I think we'd be holding him to a pretty unique standard if we're asking him to only extend committable offers. No one in the country does that.
There are schools who never throw out uncomfortable offers. For instance, Pitt doesn't do it. PSU doesn't do it. Those 2 places have expiration dates on their offers but they don't have "contingent offers". Bama, Clemson, Georgia, etc are the same way.

There are schools who never throw out uncomfortable offers. For instance, Pitt doesn't do it. PSU doesn't do it. Those 2 places have expiration dates on their offers but they don't have "contingent offers". Bama, Clemson, Georgia, etc are the same way.

Oh my God, dude. You seriously believe that? It's 1,000% untrue at Pitt, much less Alabama.

There are multiple players every year with offers who try to commit to Pitt but are told they cannot. When I used to be on the other board on here, Chris would post stuff about it all the time. Back in 2017, Kyshaun Bryan wanted to come here, but Pitt wouldn't accept it because they wanted AJ Davis (and eventually got him). He went to Iowa. That same year, after striking out on like a dozen DEs, they offered one to get him to come up here and then wouldn't accept it. Think his name was Robert Hawkins and he ended up at FAU. Like, that offer and non-acceptance of the offer happened within a few days of each other. Your boy Zane Zandier is another (offered but then wasn't accepted after Narduzzi made him run a 40).

Pitt plays the game just like everybody else. They also squeeze guys out of their class even after accepting their commitment (see: just last year). If they didn't, we would all be pissed off, because that's how college football works.

There are multiple players every year with offers who try to commit to Pitt but are told they cannot.
I do think you're correct and I only agree because you see a kid suddenly change course in recruiting activity. There was also that kid from Morgantown that advertised that he was committed to Pitt and then he completely fell off the radar. Still was sitting as a commit on signing day but never got an LOI to sign.

He's probably offered a dozen or more pa kids. He offered the Scoop Smith kid from WH and the Crosby kid out of GCC. Both are severely undersized freshman. He offered a kid from York William Penn who is an undersized freshman linebacker.
well most 9th graders are undersized.. they have 5-6 years before they'll be expected to play on a college football field. 6 years is plenty of time to put on some good weight..

I do think you're correct and I only agree because you see a kid suddenly change course in recruiting activity. There was also that kid from Morgantown that advertised that he was committed to Pitt and then he completely fell off the radar. Still was sitting as a commit on signing day but never got an LOI to sign.

Yeah, I believe he was a lineman if my memory isn't failing me.

Reactions: pittdan77
i think he ended up walking on at wvu, i could be wrong..

I probably sounded like more of a dick than I intended to in my post before, but college football is such a grimy business... and it HAS to be that way on this front. You have to "over offer." There are so many moving parts. You might be a lot less selective in November than you were in May if you're desperate at position. But you still have to extend an offer in some of these cases just to start building the relationship. Like of course some of your offers are going to be fallback plans, and some of the guys who don't progress through their senior seasons of high school are going to basically have them rescinded. Like this just happened with three guys last year, lol. But to suggest that Alafreakingbama doesn't play the game... I think that's why I went a little cuckoo.

Everybody is saying the TCU WR is basically locked up to SMU.

I’d pass on the SMU guy. Didn’t do much at SMU, and then SMU takes a bunch of P5 washouts as transfers, and they all beat him out. If you aren’t good enough to beat out P5 rejects, you aren’t good.

Henderson would be high on my list. He fills a downfield threat need. He started and produced somewhat at UF. Was on pace to start for them again. But no longer want to play in Napier’s heavy screen and horizontal passing game. Which not only explains why his numbers weren’t great, but means we wouldn’t be getting a dude that lost his job, but a starter that is leaving for better things.

I can’t really speak on the others.

well most 9th graders are undersized.. they have 5-6 years before they'll be expected to play on a college football field. 6 years is plenty of time to put on some good weight..
Colleges don't care about weight in the grand scheme of things, especially younger guys. They care about speed and length. The Woody High kid might be 5'5 or 5'6 on a good day. The GCC kid is 5'7-5'8. Both are really electric as players. Maybe these guys grow to be 5'10-6'2 who knows? But, it's quite the projection that 99% of other schools don't do. I've never seen MAC schools reach like that.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Honestly, why wouldn't Marion throw out offers to 9th graders? The chances of him coaching at UNLV next year are close to zero, and odds of coaching at UNLV four years from now has to be zero ... so if the kid does grow a few inches, Marion can keep after him at his new school. If the kid stays 5'6", he can regretfully tell the poor kid that the offer was for his old program, not the new one.

Honestly, why wouldn't Marion throw out offers to 9th graders? The chances of him coaching at UNLV next year are close to zero, and odds of coaching at UNLV four years from now has to be zero ... so if the kid does grow a few inches, Marion can keep after him at his new school. If the kid stays 5'6", he can regretfully tell the poor kid that the offer was for his old program, not the new one.
A lot of truth to this..

The chances of him coaching at UNLV next year are close to zero, and odds of coaching at UNLV four years from now has to be zero ...
LOL, I forgot he even went to UNLV. Dude changes jobs like underwear.

I think I would have chilled at UT for a little while and waited for a better opportunity.

Yep

There is a Colorado WR who just entered the portal and would be a good get for Pitt. Maybe he doesn't like Prime's gimmic? Narduzzi is like the opposite.

Marion will have coached 3 different schools by the time a 9th grader gets to college..

There is a Colorado WR who just entered the portal and would be a good get for Pitt. Maybe he doesn't like Prime's gimmic? Narduzzi is like the opposite.
i think two wrs.

Lemonious-Craig isn't the only Colorado player eyeing a change of scenery. Wide receiver Chase Sowell also announced he's entering the transfer portal after one season with the Buffaloes, and 2024 four-star cornerback Ju'Juan Johnson decommitted from the program Sunday.

Now Deion is not allowing the portal players to access their practice film from LAST year.

I'm assuming many won't be shocked when this blows up.

I am a bit confused why were are not in-with #1 receiver types in the portal.

Mumpfield, Means and Reynolds scaring competition away? I would not think so.
I'm gonna guess he wasn't as big a target as the article claims, or he was being recruited as a TE again and wants to play WR.

Reactions: cashisking884
I'm gonna guess he wasn't as big a target as the article claims, or he was being recruited as a TE again and wants to play WR.
Not talking about this kid. he has not even played.

We seemed focused on WRs at less than 500 yards in their last season but were highly recruited.

I think we should be looking for a Addision statistic like transfer. A proven Alpha dog.

800-1000 yards And 7-10 touchdowns from a down team playing at a reasonable level..

Last edited:
Not talking about this kid. he has not even played.

We seemed focused on WRs at less than 500 yards in their last season but were highly recruited.

I think we should be looking for a Addision statistic like transfer. A proven Alpha dog.

800-1000 yards And 7-10 touchdowns from a down team playing at a reasonable level..

Sounds like you want another Mumpfield.

How much did his proven Alpha Dog-ness translate outside of the MAC?

Reactions: Upg bobcat

We can’t meet the NIL outlays of mighty McNeese boosters? All one of them? Likely some old dude named McNeese?

I guess it only takes one, if the wallet of the booster is fat and the mental state addled and delusional…

As far as the quality of the individual was lost … lost to McNeese State, let’s reiterate … I’m not going to claim it was Jerry Rice or even Donna Rice…but … “how bizarre, how bizarre”…

Unless it is a cautionary tale on the perceived ability of Jurk and Cig…cuz it can’t be fear over Mump n’ Bub. Could it???

It's why I get irked when some poo poo recruiting losses and say, "Eh, we'll just get 'em in the portal." We have a much less chance of landing as established player - one who actually warrants a big NIL payday - via the portal than we do in recruiting.

That said, we have done well with guys like DJ Turner and Taysir Mack. Don't think we're going to land a superstar, so we just need competence at this point... and Mumpfield and Means need to step their games up. I think both will, but it's going to be difficult if we can't find at least one more guy who can play because I don't know if they're good enough to overcome secondaries devoting too many resources to stopping them.

Plus we have to remember how bad the ACC is. Discarded SEC players flourish in this conference regularly.

Reactions: cashisking884
We can’t meet the NIL outlays of mighty McNeese boosters? All one of them? Likely some old dude named McNeese?

I guess it only takes one, if the wallet of the booster is fat and the mental state addled and delusional…

As far as the quality of the individual was lost … lost to McNeese State, let’s reiterate … I’m not going to claim it was Jerry Rice or even Donna Rice…but … “how bizarre, how bizarre”…

Unless it is a cautionary tale on the perceived ability of Jurk and Cig…cuz it can’t be fear over Mump n’ Bub. Could it???
I doubt that any P5 team wanted him as a WR. Is that Vuk Jr. who runs that Micky Mouse SI site?

This dude isn't cashing NIL checks from anyone.

Oh my God, dude. You seriously believe that? It's 1,000% untrue at Pitt, much less Alabama.

There are multiple players every year with offers who try to commit to Pitt but are told they cannot. When I used to be on the other board on here, Chris would post stuff about it all the time. Back in 2017, Kyshaun Bryan wanted to come here, but Pitt wouldn't accept it because they wanted AJ Davis (and eventually got him). He went to Iowa. That same year, after striking out on like a dozen DEs, they offered one to get him to come up here and then wouldn't accept it. Think his name was Robert Hawkins and he ended up at FAU. Like, that offer and non-acceptance of the offer happened within a few days of each other. Your boy Zane Zandier is another (offered but then wasn't accepted after Narduzzi made him run a 40).

Pitt plays the game just like everybody else. They also squeeze guys out of their class even after accepting their commitment (see: just last year). If they didn't, we would all be pissed off, because that's how college football works.

Verbal offers are non-committable, written offers have expiration dates and are committable (it is a contract). Nick Saban has said in the past he will give a verbal offer and always tells the kid that it will be written after they come to visit and he watches them practice or go through drills.

This happens more now with social media and kids wanting to tout their offers. So, you both are right depending on what you are talking about, but in general I would say you are more correct, since it does happen

It's why I get irked when some poo poo recruiting losses and say, "Eh, we'll just get 'em in the portal." We have a much less chance of landing as established player - one who actually warrants a big NIL payday - via the portal than we do in recruiting.

Really, every team does.

Look at Bama. They targeted two transfer QBs so far: Maye and TVD.
Neither was in the portal.
And they couldn’t get either one of them, even with all that money, because the cost-benefit analysis just wasn’t there.

The portal is so light on impact guys, even at the position everybody claims is the most stacked in the portal, that Bama just skipped it all together.

The portal is where you go to get JAGs whose bodies at least allow them to be cannon fodder because they have been in a college weight training program.

It’s not where you go to build a team, or land high impact dudes.

Anybody yawning at high school recruiting and going all in on the portal, and sowing the seeds of the program’s collapse.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT