ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Lunardi Bracketology ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
Well ... we are IN!!

But it's a little weird actually. Lunardi has us listed as an 11-seed Auto Qualifier in Denver. His last four in are 10 seeds and 11 seeds. So basically, what he's suggesting is that we would NOT be in as an at-large at this point. Accordingly, we can't know if this means we would actually be on the first four out or next four out.

Nonetheless, it's great to see our name here once again!

11 seed

Well ... we are IN!!

But it's a little weird actually. Lunardi has us listed as an 11-seed Auto Qualifier in Denver. His last four in are 10 seeds and 11 seeds. So basically, what he's suggesting is that we would NOT be in as an at-large at this point. Accordingly, we can't know if this means we would actually be on the first four out or next four out.

11 seed
You would think someone who does literally nothing else for a living would be clearer

Considering Pitt and Clemson are tied atop the ACC and he has us listed as an automatic qualifier, at least he has had to make the choice he considers Pitt better than Clemson, right?

Well ... we are IN!!
I gotta kid you on this
one. Last time you said
"We are.....", let's see, it
was "back." Now it's"
"we are in." DT, you better
watch it with the "We Are"
stuff, or you're gonna be
called a Nitter. :)

Sorry couldn't resist. I
think you know that I
along with everyone
else on here really likes
and appreciate's your
"Dribbles."

I gotta kid you on this
one. Last time you said
"We are.....", let's see, it
was "back." Now it's"
"we are in." DT, you better
watch it with the "We Are"
stuff, or you're gonna be
called a Nitter. :)

Sorry couldn't resist. I
think you know that I
along with everyone
else on here really likes
and appreciate's your
"Dribbles."

LOL!! However, in my defense, this isn't a grand proclamation but instead a factual status announcement as we are indeed "in" with Lunardi at the moment.

This brings me to two points. First, I would actually be much more excited about being in as an at large participant than what is stated here. That is, because with the placement as it is, the only way we would be in (according to Lunardi) is to win the ACC tournament.

My second point, and it's more of a question to all, is that I can't recall if we were in Lunardi's field of 68 just after defeating Duke in 2021. This is when I offered up the infamous "we are back" comment.

Well ... we are IN!!

11 seed
This is much "weirder" (for the lack of the better term) than in 2002 when we went from unranked to the what, 28 wins, the BET title game and a 3 seed in Pittsburgh. Because that team, the year before they played in the BET title game and was returning essentially the entire roster.

In 2022-23, we had no hope and halftime against Alabama State we were down by a decent margin and it looked like this program finally went into flatline on the EKG as we were dead. A funny thing has happened...we were resuscitated. I don't know where it ends, but I can tell for the first time in awhile I have been reading and following more college basketball.

This is much "weirder" (for the lack of the better term) than in 2002 when we went from unranked to the what, 28 wins, the BET title game and a 3 seed in Pittsburgh. Because that team, the year before they played in the BET title game and was returning essentially the entire roster.

In 2022-23, we had no hope and halftime against Alabama State we were down by a decent margin and it looked like this program finally went into flatline on the EKG as we were dead. A funny thing has happened...we were resuscitated. I don't know where it ends, but I can tell for the first time in awhile I have been reading and following more college basketball.
I hear you but what I was suggesting was weird is that Lunardi has us at an 11 seed as an auto qualifier, but probably not in the tournament as an at large just yet.

But this will figure itself out, one way or another. Just Win Baby!

Reactions: FireballZ
I hear you but what I was suggesting was weird is that Lunardi has us at an 11 seed as an auto qualifier, but probably not in the tournament as an at large just yet.

But this will figure itself out, one way or another. Just Win Baby!

I think that if he didn't have us as an auto qualifier we would clearly be in either the first four out or the next four out.

Not one Panther fan out there right now who wouldn’t appreciate us as an 11 seed! But…let’s keep climbing!

Palm is the better bracketologist… lunardi lazy and looking at the standings rather than projecting out

The Athletic did a bracket today and they have us in as a 10 seed. They have us as the last team not having to play in the first four. They are using current standings plus projections for conference champions, so they have Virginia getting the auto bid and we are an at large.

The Athletic did a bracket today and they have us in as a 10 seed. They have us as the last team not having to play in the first four. They are using current standings plus projections for conference champions, so they have Virginia getting the auto bid and we are an at large.
…. Which makes a bit more sense than what Lunardi has to offer at the moment. Good to hear.

…. Which makes a bit more sense than what Lunardi has to offer at the moment. Good to hear.

He actually mentioned us in his write up. He was talking about how it was a chaotic week with a lot of movement, and noted that we went from barely on the radar to a 10 seed with our two big wins.

He actually mentioned us in his write up. He was talking about how it was a chaotic week with a lot of movement, and noted that we went from barely on the radar to a 10 seed with our two big wins.

Sure, but he still has us listed as an 11-seed ...

LOL!! However, in my defense, this isn't a grand proclamation but instead a factual status announcement as we are indeed "in" with Lunardi at the moment.

This brings me to two points. First, I would actually be much more excited about being in as an at large participant than what is stated here. That is, because with the placement as it is, the only way we would be in (according to Lunardi) is to win the ACC tournament.

My second point, and it's more of a question to all, is that I can't recall if we were in Lunardi's field of 68 just after defeating Duke in 2021. This is when I offered up the infamous "we are back" comment.
As you know, this doesn’t matter much at this point. Consider that, if Pitt beats Clemson today, Lunardi will have Pitt definitely in on his next update, if they lose, he’ll have them out.

I guess that settles it, let’s get the W today!!

Palm is the better bracketologist… lunardi lazy and looking at the standings rather than projecting out
Doubt Lunardi is looking at the standings. If he was then Pitt would be ranked higher, don’t you think considering we are in 1st place in the ACC.

If Pitt plays well for the next two weeks then the skepticism will die down and the national pundits will finally buy in.

Bottom line this team is for real if the big 6 stay healthy. The rest will take care of itself

Doubt Lunardi is looking at the standings. If he was then Pitt would be ranked higher, don’t you think considering we are in 1st place in the ACC.

I think most people consider the fact that we are tied for first in the conference the first full weekend of January to be of relatively minor importance.

Now if we are still there the first weekend of March we will be on to something.

What does he actually do for a living? If he ever did anything strenuous, he’d have a nervous breakdown.

I don't know if he still does, but he was employed in the past by St. Joe's in some sort of PR or marketing role. He is also their basketball radio color commentator.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT